PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi & Fantasy in the Hall Contest?

Tikki
04-29-2007, 01:49 PM
This year in the Hall Contest, I decided the include all media genres for the competition. I've seen anime costumes at sci-fi, horror, & fantasy events, and they've been allowed in the costume contests. Project A-kon has always had a non-anime category every year of their masquerade. I figured, why not allow it at Anime Mid-Atlantic as well?

So I'm curious what others think.
Tikki

Lumasnati
04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
I mean... It's nice they open it up to others, but it's kinda unfair. I mean... It's like giving a Sakura-hime best costume in show at a Renn. Festival. Sci-Fi... yes... But fantasy not so much.... Star-Wars kinda plays into it... and it has been made into various games and stuff... But..

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if you kept them separate from Anime/Video Gaming Cosplay Judging then things would be a little better?

dizzylizzy
04-29-2007, 06:11 PM
It has been years since I've gone to a sci-fi con, so forgive me for being general or a newb about it. ^^;; Do they have like a general costume contest and then have divisions for each type of costume? For intance, all anime costumes would be in the anime catergory, historal is in another, and sci fi is in another... loosely speaking. (I'm probably wrong about it though.)

Granted, it's an anime con, but at the same time, they allow anime entrants into their contests. Why not do the same? I could see it being a HUGE ordeal for something of Otakon's size, but AMA is smaller.

It does open up for a lot of other costumes and styles to be presented. It could be AMA's "something different" to draw others in. Some have chess, some have balls... AMA could have a COSTUME competition. As you know, I'll all for it and willing to help out wherever you need it.

PS- I'm so excited about it!!

Tikki
04-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, this is why I'm limiting that to the Hall Contest. As a lot of the other department heads and our con chair are all scifi/fantasy fans that attend and staff at a slew of other types of conventions, they're happy with the change when I brought it up at the staff meeting.
It's something to TRY. Hence the announcement and the poll. I want to know what people think before AND after the convention.
I've attended a few scifi events and one Costume Con in the past. Costume Con had the Historical contest and then the Scifi/Fantasy contest. When by boyfriend and I entered with a manga costume, we were in the SciFi/Fantasy contest and there were no genre categories. Only skill divisions... so, it was essentially a free-for-all. Shoreleave in Baltimore allows all costumes, even original concepts. I haven't competed there, so I don't know if they separate the genres, but I doubt it.
So... I'm gonna try it here. Remember, just because it's not an anime costume, it has no inherent advantage or disadvantage in the Hall Contest. The judges will look at it for what it is, a COSTUME, and inspect the quality of the work and accuracy to reference materials. If someone wears a subpar Harry Potter costume, it won't do any better than a good... say... Bleach costume. What the costume is won't matter so much as the costumers' skill that went into making it.
Tikki

ensimismada
04-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Seeing as I'm coming as a video game character, I appreciate the opportunity to participate. :)

On the other hand, I feel like there is a very vague line that shouldn't be crossed, which is why seeing Storm Troopers and Harry Potter characters at anime cons always bothers me a little. I ask myself "Shouldn't they be attending a con more fit to their genre?"

The problem, of course, is figuring out where that line is. I justify my character by claiming that the game he stars in (Shadow of the Colossus) has strong Japanese influence, though it was not created in anime style. It's a safe bet that a lot of people would say that's crossing the "non-anime" line. So, it's really hard to say what fits and what doesn't. Even if you try to define it very clearly, I'm sure there will always be some gray.

Anime conventions by their nature attract something of a "fringe element", which is why there are goths and goth-lolitas and ravers and Stormtroopers and even the occasional furry. They're not the point of the con, but "if you build it, they will come", and they're not hurting anyone.

So let's just say that it's best to err on the side of inclusiveness unless things get out of hand. Seeing a few too many Stormtroopers shouldn't ruin anyone's con-going experience, while telling someone they can't participate in the masquerade with a costume they worked hard on because it "doesn't fit the theme of the con" could be unnecessarily devastating. At small con like AMA, it's harder to justify being really unfriendly to the peripheral media. If the con starts pushing the limits of its space resources, then maybe the crack down should be a bit harsher, but only to remain true to the goal of the con.

Bagu
05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I kind of like the idea since there are some anime series with a sci-fi feel to them (bring on some old school Tenchi Muyo, yo), but I'd still like AMA to retain its anime identity and not go down the DragonCon road. :P

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I mean... It's like giving a Sakura-hime best costume in show at a Renn. Festival.

Haha I think that about sums it up! I mean, it's cool to see the 501st at Otakon since it's such a huge event, but at small cons like AMA I don't really expect to see too much Star Wars or Spider-Man or what have you. It's cool to see, though; I know Team Takeo does a Star Wars thang and a Ghostbusters thang and it's always fun to see them doing that. I guess as long as anime cons don't turn into sci-fi cons (I think the anime nerds and sci-fi nerds need to be segregated just a little bit for the safety of all!), everything will be peachy. :D

MidnightRequiem
05-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I like the idea. As long as it is controlled, I think it will be a lot of fun for every one.

DHMagierXero
06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Of course Sci Fi cosplays should be allowed! Besides, it's fair and controlled. It's an Anime Convention, so the rule is, non-Anime cosplays can't win awards. I think that's totally fair. It lets people be the characters they love, but keeps Anime Awards for Anime Costumes. I went as Doctor Who. I got more than enough praise in the hallways. That was enough for me ^_^

dExtrosien
06-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I saw your great Doctor Who cosplay. I don't see any reason not to let them enter in their own categories. General Grievous was amazing and deserved the recognition that he got. I was sitting next to him back stage while he sat laid out in multiple chairs unable to move for about an hour. He was cool and I don't mind seeing sci fi mixed in as long as their is still a focus on anime. Maybe there are people out there that are more comfortable in a sci fi costume and then it would open them up to anime cosplaying in the future.

Nekoboy Eriku
06-18-2007, 07:42 PM
I think anime conventions offer people the freedom to dress up in any kind of costume and not have to worry about being out of the loop.

Tenriyuu86
06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I think anime conventions offer people the freedom to dress up in any kind of costume and not have to worry about being out of the loop.

Word up! For AMA 04 and 05 I dressed up as a random Ravenclaw Student. I love dressing up but I had no other costume at the time so I just wore that. It was still somewhat popular for some odd reason but I liked that everyone was cool about me not dressing up in an anime costume. I don't think telling someone who isn't dressed up in an anime costume should be reprimanded for it. I do agree that they shouldn't win awards for it though, it's just something for kicks and giggles really! =D

Tikki
06-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Ah, but we've opened up the Hall Costume Contest to all genres this year and we had a few entries that fell into the American animation genre (some Avatar cosplayers). But the majority of the Hall entries were anime/video-game/Japanese something.
And that's the thing. Most cosplayers at anime conventions don't venture into the other genres. But some do and letting them still compete is something I have implemented, if only to draw in more interest in AMA's cosplay events. How many other anime conventions allow non-anime characters compete in their costume contests?

It is interesting to note that General Greivous won the Con Chair Award and last year's Internation Cosplayer award from Yun Mao went to a guy in a Darth Vader costume. A lot of our staff comes from a heavy scifi/fantasy convention backgrounds and we see no issues with allowing them to compete. Scifi/fantasy cons don't exclude anime cosplay, so we return the favor now.
Tikki

SleepingDragon
06-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I think it is important to remember that even cosplayers like to dress up as other characters. Including orginal characters. As orginal characters go they usually fall into the scifi catagory by the viewers. For the simple reason of they are not strictly anime/ manga, or historical. Do not forget that alot of the younger con going set has parents attending with them. I think it is wonderful that those parents see characters that they recongize. Or complete strangers off the street. It's a bridging the gap kind of thing. Last week at Colosscon I wore my oc pirate costume. It had a great reception. Espically from adults who were at the hotel as parent chaparone or guests of the hotel who were not associated with the convention.

On the other hand I would not expect to win an award for this costume in the masc. Nor would I enter it unless they had an oc division or something. That line should be maintained for offical judging. Opening the masc to other divisions would then become more of a logistical issue. Dose the con have the time for what could potentionally be a large number of entries? If so go nuts. If not then maintain the intergity of the anime/ manga only contest.

However I think it would be great if Hall awards were given out. Costumers of any genre should always reach out to other costumers. It's a simple solution that keeps everyone happy.

HeeroJF
06-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Fandom is fandom, and everything worth getting giddy about is worth celebrating. I don't see why we can't embrace it all. If anime was in any danger of being snuffed out by other genres, then I'd say sure, let's preserve the sanctity of the anime cons, but seeing as anime is booming more than ever and has nothing to worry about, I say let's get crazy and have fun with eveything that is fun! It's bad enough we get segregated by muggles all the time in real life, we souldn't start segregating among fans.

PyremonInfernos
11-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm glad people liked the Grievous costume; though it will not be returning to AMA(I tend to bring each costume to a con once); for next year I'm gonna try cosplaying Doc from Red vs Blue; since it's made out of a video game(Halo), I would think it qualifies just as much as Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy characters, and other video game faces.

XxSailorMarsxX
11-27-2007, 08:24 AM
blarg blarg...honk...blarg blarg blarg blarg....honk...blarg.....honk blarg....honk honk!!!!

XxSailorMarsxX
11-27-2007, 08:26 AM
blarg blarg...honk...blarg blarg blarg blarg....honk...blarg.....honk blarg....honk honk!!!!

translation:

i believe u should dress the way you want to, it dosnt matter if its a anime con, comic con, or whatever if you have a costume that stands out amongst the crowd you belong at the convention :P