PDA

View Full Version : The con was fun, dontcha think?

Saiban
04-19-2003, 11:54 PM
I have to admit I think the con was pretty fun.
The only two things that could have been better.

1. The dealer room was way too small. and the line for it saturday was ridiculous, it wasnt even that good!

2. It should have been in a WAY bigger hotel. I mean there was a SHIT load of people. I mean a TON, it was insane!

It's too abd the only person I saw that was from Cosplay.com was Number18. I saw her for like5 minutes then she vanished.
ah well. I wrecked everyone in the one on one fights in SSBM mini tournaments. :D Saturday a friend of mine and myself actually started a 32 player tournament, that had no actual prize, until the ehad of the video game staff said that Anime Boston was gonna sponser it, and gave us two Fruits Baskets DVD's for the first place winners, and a Sonic Adventure CD for the 2nd place winner. And both players got free pre registration next year. :D
My player started tournament had more people, and better prizes than the actual tournament! I am happy :D
Someone suggested I become staff next year to set up another badd ass tourny :D I might. I had fun, and Ill be there sunday for a short while. Maybe I dunno.

JacksUsername
04-20-2003, 12:06 AM
hey, i definetly agree on the larger hotel thing, but I've never been to a convention before so I have nothing to compare it to, I just know it felt very restricted and very crowded. I didn't pick up anything from the dealer room and only went in once...all my money was basically gone or devoted to developing film, ech.

My one big problem was I wish there had been more coordination between tech and the masquerade people, it just seemed pretty unprofessional.

But those are just technincal issues. The convention was FUN! It was definetly cool meeting some of the cosplay.com people and staring in awe at their masterpieces *envy, envy* and also all the other nice people there.

i'll be there for a tiny bit tomorrow Saiban...i'll be wearing my moulin rouge costume again, so dont' be a stranger!

Koumori
04-20-2003, 12:11 AM
What I was able to attend of it was fine. Due to overcrowding issues and non-registered friend, was not able to attend any events on Saturday. Great meeting all of you; glad you liked the cookies!

Saiban
04-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Well I am leaving for the con in 20 minutes, if yah see me say hi, Red sean jean sweat shirt, Back pack, and a goofy grin :D lol

shiroi_yukiko
04-20-2003, 11:39 AM
I had an awesome time, even though I spent 60% of it standing in lines. XD The lines were enevitable though since there were so so many people there!

I don't remember talking to many cosplay.com people though! Except Koumori, who I attacked and scolded for wearing her Toshiya on Friday when I wasn't there! ^_^

sailor-moon
04-20-2003, 12:10 PM
^_^; it was fun, not the best con i have been to but it was still fun...my feet, they hurt XD gah, im gonna lye in bed all this week XD ........but seiya is in more pain than me do to her fighter boots i think XD hahaa :: points and laughs:::

hopefully next year its bigger, one of Seiyas friends couldnt get in -.- cause they stopped reg, when he got there-.-

the masquerade was fun^_^; at least the last like 5 skits i got to see XD it took so long though^_^ :: pats michis back:: but michi did a good job anyways! heheee

Koumori
04-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by warumono

I don't remember talking to many cosplay.com people though! Except Koumori, who I attacked and scolded for wearing her Toshiya on Friday when I wasn't there! ^_^

*sob!* I SAID I was sorry.... besides, yours was cooler. ;)

number18
04-20-2003, 03:52 PM
yeah Saiban, it was nice seeing you. I think I saw you playing SSBM in the game room one of the days, but I couldn't really tell.

The clubhouse was fun, meeting everyone from the boards.

My gripes were that the masquerade was very jerky. The speakers during every event in the main event room were always blasting (not a good thing if you can't distinguish all the sounds)and the Sakura Taisen musical group would have sounded Soooo much better if they had just done a sound check or something. :/ Also, why didn't they dim the lights any? At least during the screening of the AMV winners? And the dealer's room was kind of ...hmm...well let me say it was my first time in the dealer's room and they all seemed to be selling the exact same stuff, just at different prices. That's not really bad. But it was all Naruto, Inu Yasha, One Piece and Digi Charat stuff that was the big thing. The Pocky and the anime/j-music stands seemed way overpriced...but I can't blame anyone though. I expected something like that. Wish I coulda found some DBZ merch, but that's not real popular with anyone, I would think. So yeah. My only gripes. And the damn elevators always took so long to arrive!! And...the DJ at the dances was kind of off, but again, can't really blame anyone.

The game room was very fun. Para Para Paradise is my new favorite thing. ^_^ The AMVs were totally awesome, though I only got to see about half of them (the berserk one...omg). It was just very very enjoyable. I didn't even really do much but wander around and it was still a good time.

Oh yeah. That poor guy during the masquerade. Why couldn't people just lay off the dude about pronouncing EVERYTHING correctly, with a Japanese accent to things. And I was fairly annoyed when people were yelling at him about the NYO Cosplay people's names, which were correct but no one knew....grr.

Kaede
04-20-2003, 04:21 PM
the con was a lot of fun, but i missed a lot of the forum-things that i wanted to go to because of one scheduling thing or another. and yes the lines were crazy...there was always some disgustingly long line in mezzanine.

Zan
04-20-2003, 04:59 PM
As far as cons go I was a little disappointed in Anime Boston... I thought that the organization for the cosplay could have been a lot better- the whole place was crazily crowded. I understand it's a first year con and there's no way they could have anticipated that so many people would turn up, but the lines for everything were gigantic and there didn't seem to be a lot of communication between staffers... I'm glad to hear that everyone else had fun though! ^__^

Saiban
04-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Yeah Number18 it was prolly me super smashin it up.
I love that game :D. Me and someone else set up another tournament today, 16 man one on One Oshi participated but he died :/ I died in the first match ocourtesy to me and my friend donald being matched up. He is awesome at the game. It was nice seeing who I did, maybe at KAtsu next year I'll run into some others.

ChibiRinoa
04-20-2003, 05:13 PM
i had a great time!! -stretches-

the lines were crazy!! but it did give me a good oppurtunity to look at all the people walking by, so i guess that was a perk ^.^

the masquarade was a bit unorganized, but nobody paniced, so thats good!

but this con was so much fun!! it was my first time cosplaying at a con and i managed to get a group of girls to scream and giggle loudly when i kissed my Squall :D

although...i didnt get to wear my Sailor Neptune costume due to it being this time of the month :(

hikura
04-20-2003, 05:16 PM
I had a great time to say the least.I do not blame animeboston for such a large crowd.Who could have really predicted a crowd of 4000 or so people showing up all at once.The hotel was great. Very nice place and great service.I got to meet alot of people on this board.It was fun to hang around with number 17 and espically number18.I loved everyones costume very much.Espically phoniex reborn,edeas(both of them from final fantasy series), number18's costume was wonderful,among others.I really felt sorry for kitty_neko(i think it was her or it was evil_neko) sword got broke before the con even got started.I saw what happened and my heart went out to her.I did give her my super glue that i just brought for my minor repair job that i had to do.Koumori had wonderful cookies and costume.The only thing i think animeboston shoudl do considering how many people showed is maybe to have it either in one really big place or two places really close.I thought some of the dealers prices were high for some of the stuff but other stuff was reasonable priced.Other then that great con.Contrats to the staff and all the people who worked on this con for putting on such a great con.

Tribble
04-20-2003, 08:59 PM
After it was all said and done, I think it was a great con, my personal first so it was exceptionally cool for me, though I'm suppressed they didnít have some sort of food vendor there, they would have made a killing.
Apparently, the masquerade was so delayed and disorganized was because the masquerade leader got into a fight with one of the other organizers and basically said she wasnít going to help with it (got all this first hand from a friend of mine Billy, who was head of the volunteers and art at the Con), even though she acted like she put the whole thing together at award section. Basically, the volunteers had to organize and run it along with some help from that Yuna at the end.

Btw Saiban, if you're serious about that wanting to head tournament's next year let me know and I'll try and get the word through Billy to the head staff.

Lilli
04-20-2003, 11:14 PM
._. Well at least one person knows it wasn't our fault then ._.;

^^; We did the best we could with the masquerade. As far as a sound-check with the Sakura Taisen group goes, I thought a sound-check had been done, (Not that I'd know one way or the other about that, if it wasn't. I didn't even know I was singing until they were like 'Hey. Kill time. Run. Now.' and dragged me out onto the stage, LOL) but apparantly there was a problem with the sound on the live feed to the rooms?? Ah well. If these things are only complaints about the con, then keeping in mind that this was a First Year Con, I'd say they did pretty good, and they deserve a major pat on the back :3 Can't wait to see how much they improve things next year.

shiroi_yukiko
04-20-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
*sob!* I SAID I was sorry.... besides, yours was cooler. ;)

Thanks! Your Nuriko was so pretty though, so I forgive you. ^_^ He he. Argh, I want my con pics, my friend has them all on her camera and it's killing meeeeeee...

And I missed the cosplay.com photo! Oops. I was in the lobby... just not near the cosplay.com people. >_<

RichAyanami
04-21-2003, 01:18 AM
Yes, the crowding issue was pretty bad...I was hearing that our first-year-AB is comparable to other fifth-year cons in terms of size...
I guess it would have been hard to predict the number of people, but also since it's first year, there's no money to put towards getting a nicer place. Next year's pretty much the same thing although the dealers' room may be in the castle across the street XD but I think AB may be moving the following year.

It was great meeting people! But I don't think I ran into neko though. Lili-sama!! *glomp Too bad I didn't see you too much before the masquerade..I only remember pre-con-Lili and post-masquerade-Lili.... ^^

..and I was kind of disappointed that I missed both the Clubhouse meeting AND the Cosplay.com photoshoot... I was held up until noon both days and then had to fumble with makeup...ugh....makeup.........

shiroi_yukiko
04-21-2003, 01:54 AM
RichAyanami: You have been declared one sexy Kyo by all the other jrock cosplayers. XD No one else would say it to you. Ha ha. Your costume was still awesome, even if it wasn't the one you originally planned!

RichAyanami
04-21-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by warumono
RichAyanami: You have been declared one sexy Kyo by all the other jrock cosplayers. XD No one else would say it to you. Ha ha. Your costume was still awesome, even if it wasn't the one you originally planned!

Awwww!!! *glomps warumono violently but not enough to inflict bodily injury!! Thank you! I do want to give major props to one of the other Kyos though.... See the Searching for Kyo thread...

(thanks again warumono^^)

Something Lulu
04-21-2003, 02:17 AM
The con was lots of fun, and I kind of liked the large crowds. I was amazed that they were actually *full*. I was standing near the info desk when I heard a lady say that they weren't registering anyone else b/c they'd reached the fire mashal's limit of 4,000 ppl. There was no way they could have expected that, so I can't be upset about the crowds.

The lack of communication among the staff, and the way the Masquerade was run (behind the scenes and on-stage), however, were two things I did get upset about. Oh yeah, and the fact that I had specified a room with 2 beds and was told when I got there that they didn't have one for me. The front desk dudes were my closest friends by the time I left, I spent so much time there lol. But all in all I had a lot of fun, and I was glad that we could just sit around until all hours at night and still find stuff to do.

Koumori, in case you were wondering what happened to the last of your cookies, I ate them. >_< They somehow ended up in my hotel room, no one else claimed them, and I couldn't resist. They were so yummy!!

Unfortunately I missed both the cosplay.com and FF photoshoots, due to the fact that I was still upstairs reinforcing the lace on Lulu, since it would have fallen off. But the Clubhouse was fun, so I'm glad I was at least there for that.

hikura
04-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Something Lulu you are so lucky to get the rest fo the cookies.I know i am way off topic but waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh the cookies were so good i only ate two cause it wouldn't be fair if i ate them all lmao.

Koumori
04-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by hikura
Something Lulu you are so lucky to get the rest fo the cookies.I know i am way off topic but waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh the cookies were so good i only ate two cause it wouldn't be fair if i ate them all lmao.

Woo! I AM the Queen of Cookies! :) I'll make more for next time.. and I'll bake some for A-Kon and Otakon too, just in case.

Saiban
04-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Tribble

Btw Saiban, if you're serious about that wanting to head tournament's next year let me know and I'll try and get the word through Billy to the head staff.

I am Tribble, I am all about it. Had any of head staff seen the huge turn out for my 32/20/16 man tournaments I'm sure they would be impressed. The actual AnimeBoston had 49 people sign up, but only 20 showed up for it. And my tournaments had way etter prizes :D lol.

shiroi_yukiko
04-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by RichAyanami
Awwww!!! *glomps warumono violently but not enough to inflict bodily injury!! Thank you!

*hugs*You're welcome! ^_^ I've been stalking the "Anime Boston Kyos" online for so long and it was so worth it to finally see you/them! All the jrock cosplayers were absolutely gorgeous!

Kaede
04-21-2003, 03:47 PM
they were!!and the greatest thing was that most of them were totally in character. not to mention, were wonderful seamstresses.

Paxus
04-21-2003, 04:13 PM
The dance on friday sucked, partially because the dj had never did a con dance before. To his defense, he did better than i did at my first dance. Saturday was a bit better. There were some requests that were kinda odd, but i did my best to work them in. The tech staff was like two sides of a coin, i met with some great people, and had to deal with one of the worst tech staffers i've ever encountered, as a result the power cut off like three times during the dance, i was not the least bit happy about it : /. Next year i hope that rob lantz will be able to make it. -&rew

RichAyanami
04-21-2003, 04:24 PM
I don't know if this had anything to do with the power cutoff issue, but the setup for the dance was pretty bad. The dj should have been up on stage in the first place, which would have prevented us from having to lay down the cables on the floor where everyone can step on them. Again, room for improvement for next time though ^^

Yes, the saturday dj was better, I believe he's a regular con dj. I remember him from Katsu anyways..

Paxus
04-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Yup, i am that dj from saturday ^_^. Yeah, in all of the cons i've done, the setup for the tech booth was always in the very back of the room or in a corner towards the back or maybe near the front. I would've gladly been on stage, but it didnt seem feasible from what some of the techs were telling me. Some of them seemed pretty miffed to have to staff the dance at all really : /. Next year will be a better time for sure. For a first year con dance, it went okay i guess. Hopefully next year will have a bit more bass.

number18
04-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Paxus
Hopefully next year will have a bit more bass.

word to that, my friend.

RichAyanami
04-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Ah Paxus, hellooo! I was this blonde asian boy techie that night. I personally didn't really mind working the dance, it's not really work and I still enjoy the music. Besides I don't think many of the tech people were dancing types... ^_~
Anyways, hope to see you next time!

Paxus
04-21-2003, 05:24 PM
yeah realized it after i read your profile. Glad to have you tech, you were coo. I hope we can open the balconies to relax on next year, i think i had like 5 or 6 people say they would've liked that.

JacksUsername
04-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Paxus
The dance on friday sucked, partially because the dj had never did a con dance before. To his defense, he did better than i did at my first dance. Saturday was a bit better. There were some requests that were kinda odd, but i did my best to work them in. The tech staff was like two sides of a coin, i met with some great people, and had to deal with one of the worst tech staffers i've ever encountered, as a result the power cut off like three times during the dance, i was not the least bit happy about it : /. Next year i hope that rob lantz will be able to make it. -&rew

D'OH!

I stayed for a good chunk on Friday and was kind've disappointed with the dance, so decided not to go on Saturday....now I wish I had gone :P

Priss
04-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Ok, this is the first con that I attended by myself. I was hoping to meet new friends and of course the sense of adventure because it was really far away from home.

Friday was really a terrible day for me. I almost cried because every people I tried to talk to just keep on blowing me away. Particularly the girls at the con and I'm expecting girls to be more sensitive to this kind of things because I'm a girl :( . Hey, I think I smell pretty good and my breath doesn't stink either. So I end up watching t.v. up in my room.

Saturday was a blast for me because of these three wonderful people :) . Sailor Star Fighter, Sailor Moon, and LadyUranus you are all so cool :cool: .

Thank you Sailor Star Fighter and Sailor Moon for telling me that I did such a good job on my costume and for asking me to take some pictures with the two of you even though I don't know how to pose and I look so dorky, arigatougozaimasu. *bows down*

And I thank you LadyUranus straight from my heart, for staying by my side all the time even if I'm such a :square: .

Thank you all for a fantastic time, you all made my day and trip worth while. Luv yah!!:bigtu:

sailor-moon
04-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Priss

Saturday was a blast for me because of these three wonderful people :) . Sailor Star Fighter, Sailor Moon, and LadyUranus you are all so cool :cool: .

Thank you Sailor Star Fighter and Sailor Moon for telling me that I did such a good job on my costume and for asking me to take some pictures with the two of you even though I don't know how to pose and I look so dorky, arigatougozaimasu. *bows down*

Luv yah!!:bigtu:

hee^_^ awww tehee you really did have an amazing michiru costume though!!! and the wig was great too!!!^o^ neh neh, michiru doesnt do any really complicated poses when in school uni, you did a great job ^_~. heres a pic i have on my site:
http://www.itsumademo.net/_Misc/1AnimeBoston%20009.jpg

JacksUsername
04-21-2003, 08:01 PM
ou, i'm sorry that your friday sucked, I was kinda in the same boat...didn't really know anybody, but I was too shy to go up to people later on, so I kinda wandered on my own...sorry that some people acted stand offish to you...that's not cool

and your costume was definetly cool !

And Sailor Moon, I saw you wandering around every now and then and those are some of the most amazing Sailor Moon costumes I've ever seen! congrats again on the cosplay!

Priss
04-21-2003, 08:08 PM
:D heehee.. see I told yah I look like a dork. Damn Haruka :mad: she keeps on taking me out to eat. I'm so fat I need to lose weight. No more chocolates for me so there. :o

sailor-moon
04-21-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Priss
:D heehee.. see I told yah I look like a dork. Damn Haruka :mad: she keeps on taking me out to eat. I'm so fat I need to lose weight. No more chocolates for me so there. :o

hahaa ^_^ nah you look cute inthe pic!!^o^

aww sank u JacksUsername

Priss
04-21-2003, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JacksUsername
[B]ou, i'm sorry that your friday sucked, I was kinda in the same boat...didn't really know anybody, but I was too shy to go up to people later on, so I kinda wandered on my own...sorry that some people acted stand offish to you...that's not cool

and your costume was definetly cool !

Oh thanks. I wish I met you earlier so we could have hang out together. If we could only turn back the time. *sigh*

Allia
04-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Hey the con was OK. It was kind of poorly run but it was fun. The dealers room was small, which made me mad and they also sold out on a lot of things fast.
I'm kinda mad that I missed the club meeting because I did not really get a chance to meet any of you.
I did go to the photo shoot but my friends did not want to stick around so I did not get a chance to talk or anything. I really wish I could have met you guys. I did spot some of you in the hallway though. My friends did not really let me do things. They did not stay at anything for more that an hour. They also complained a lot and let me down because they did not cosplay as much as I had hoped. I'll get my pics up soon. Again I'm sorry I missed you guys.

JacksUsername
04-21-2003, 08:36 PM
hehe, Allia I was wondering where you were, becasue you were one of the first people that greeted me on the site and was surprised not to run into you.

Priss, yeah, its too bad, I wouldn't have minded hanging out, except on Friday I would've made bad conversation....every time I talked, my sideburns would start to fall off...I was pretty quiet that day :P

Priss
04-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Allia I know how it feels. What happened to you was such a downer. :( I hope you'll have more fun at the next con. :)

Allia
04-22-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks. I was really upset because my "friends" were being such butts (sorry to say that but thats how I feel)! I really wanted to see everyone. Well we got to boston late on Friday because we got lost in Boston. So I missed the club meeting. Then my friends let me stay to take a few pics in the photoshoot and then told me they did not want to stay and so I left in a hurry. I'll try to get pics up as soon as I can.
Jacksusername I saw you at the photoshoot as my friends were draging me away. Also another reason you might not have seen me would be I'm extreamly short and many mistake me for a kid. I don't think I'll be able to go to Anime Boston next year but if SARS is still in Toronto I will not go to Anime North and I'll go to Anime Boston.

Claireon
04-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Boh... I missed both photoshoots and the clubhouse. Didn't know there was a shoot on Saturday or I woulda been there. ^.^;; But I saw a bunch of you guyses in the halls.. didn't get to chat with ya though.

And I can't believe people were rude to you guys... that sucks. But that was kind of something I felt... not that people were cold, but for some reason there just wasn't as much community feeling and spontaneous-but-totally-comfortable conversation with strangers as at other cons. Probably because there wasn't as much communal *space*. More room just to hang out and chat would've helped a lot.

But maybe some of the "disconnected" feeling I got was due to me going around in kind of a haze because it was so hot from the overcrowding--and me with a sweatshirt and hat filled with cotton and un-safety pins and wearing roller blades *all* day. Oh how my ankles hated me. So I was a little bit in another world. :p

Allia
04-22-2003, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry you missed both events. I agree some people were rude. I had so many guys just pick up my tail and my dress was pretty short and I kept thinking they were trying to lift up my dress. Maybe you would count that as friendly but I don't. I also had a lot of people come up to me and just give me a hug. That was OK I guess. One person was in a hurry and grabed my tail and dragged me backward so he could run ahead of me. I think for the most part people were just fed up with being in line for such a long time so I guess I don't blame them.

harukarose
04-23-2003, 03:50 PM
"My gripes were that the masquerade was very jerky. The speakers during every event in the main event room were always blasting (not a good thing if you can't distinguish all the sounds)and the Sakura Taisen musical group would have sounded Soooo much better if they had just done a sound check or something. :/ Also, why didn't they dim the lights any? At least during the screening of the AMV winners? And the dealer's room was kind of ...hmm...well let me say it was my first time in the dealer's room and they all seemed to be selling the exact same stuff, just at different prices. That's not really bad. But it was all Naruto, Inu Yasha, One Piece and Digi Charat stuff that was the big thing. The Pocky and the anime/j-music stands seemed way overpriced...but I can't blame anyone though. I expected something like that. Wish I coulda found some DBZ merch, but that's not real popular with anyone, I would think. So yeah. My only gripes. And the damn elevators always took so long to arrive!! And...the DJ at the dances was kind of off, but again, can't really blame anyone.

Actually, we did do 2 sound checks. I think that the issues with the masqurade will all be worked out better for next year. This was a first year con, and everything needs a little time to work itself out... ^_^ But thank you for the observation!
Haruka Rose
Maria from the Sakura Taisen group

Saiban
04-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Dude when was it...I think Saturday. My friend "Leonard" The big fat guy, I am sure no one missed him. Flipped off a friend of ours who was working the masqerade door. He was only joking around cause we were doing it all friday afternoon to each other in the game room. And this lady went BERSERK! She got all up into his face and was like screaming bloody murder. It was akward. Had she got in my face I would've been taken away in a police cruiser. I don't tolerate that shit, only animals get up in your grill and bark shit at you. Humanity is goin down hill, yo.

MrWonderfulToji
04-23-2003, 05:32 PM
I didn't have the problem of anyone being rude, a few people didn't respond when I called them, but I'm assuming that it was more due to lack of hearing..
on sat. I saw JacksUsername, and called after you, but I assume you didn't hear me. You were on your way out of the dealers room, and I figured you were going somewhere, so i wouldn't chase you down! I found a ken and dan cosplayer, and wanted to get a marvel vs capcom 2 shot :D
but thats for next time I guess!
sean
also, jacksusername.. I've noticied us posting on lotsa the same sections of cosplay.com so I figure I should say howdy! :cheers:

RichAyanami
04-23-2003, 08:17 PM
One thing that I noticed about this con is that there were a lot of younger kids around...which of course also means that there are more parents around. I don't really mind it too much, but it does get a little awkward sometimes...

number18
04-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Really? Why would you say that, Ayanami? =likes saying that name= Is it because you're so NAUGHTY?!@?!?@!

hehe sorry. ^_^;

I was actually surprised though, by the younger kids. #17 and I were walking out of the hotel to go repark our car and these three kids sitting on the shoe-shine station that looked no older than 12 were like "you guys going to the dance?"

I was like wow...aren't you gonna hafta been in bed by that time? Craziness...

Koumori
04-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Yes. Going to cons always reminds me that I am THE OLDEST PERSON ALIVE. Which is one reason I don't do it much.

hikura
04-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Koumori i am most likely older then you.I felt liek my charcter i was dressed as....Acient.I am 32 and have been an anime fan since i was 10.

Koumori
04-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by hikura
Koumori i am most likely older then you.

Not by much, man.

hikura
04-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Still older(damn i am braggin about my age lol).Where is my walker lol

RichAyanami
04-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by number18
I was actually surprised though, by the younger kids. #17 and I were walking out of the hotel to go repark our car and these three kids sitting on the shoe-shine station that looked no older than 12 were like "you guys going to the dance?"

Hehe, there's something a bit unsettling about that... I was getting lunch at one point as girl-type Rich and there was this like 4-year old in the Au Bon Pan who kept pointing at my purple hair. I mean I don't have a problem with kids or anything but when pointing out the crossplayer becomes a family event..... :-\ heheh

number18
04-24-2003, 08:07 PM
32 and cosplaying! w00t! mwuahaha ,cosplay is so the dark side of the otaku...

and Rich, we were in Au Bon Pain...ugh, some oldish rich dude there with his wife was being an ass and was all like what's going on. I said an anime convention, japanese cartoons...and he's all like jokingly talking about how thats the problem with us today is that we wanna be japanese orsome crap. I'll have to go into it more later but it was mad stupid. His wife was like trying to get him to shut up and actually found cosplay interesting, while he only seemed to be making fun of us in some secretive way.:rolleyes:

RichAyanami
04-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Say, 18, have you ever seen Otaku no Video? There's a scene that's almost exactly what you described... lol

I spoke with some of the 'normals' at the hotel in the elevator and stuff, and most of them seemed intrigued if nothing else by the convention. It's probably either like a circus to them, or like a train wreck.......
^_~

Saiban
04-24-2003, 08:44 PM
number 18, If I were in your shoes, I would've kicked that old man right in the skull. Then explained anime and cosplaying further to his wife who was intrested (or putting on a good act)

hikura
04-24-2003, 10:19 PM
It was funny.I had about a half of a dozen people ask me what anime was and what the con was about(most of the time i was in the elevator when asked).I explained it to them and most of them seem intrigued about it.I was over in radioshack getting a new battery for my camera and one of the workers there was an anime fan.The other guy asked me about it.We both explained it to him.And yes number 18,i am an old man comparly when it comes to most fo the crowds lol.(looks around for his walker and hearing aid lol).

Claireon
04-24-2003, 11:47 PM
I even got my picture taken by a few "mundanes." I wonder how they'll explain those photos to their friends/families. :p

Koumori
04-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by RichAyanami
Hehe, there's something a bit unsettling about that... I was getting lunch at one point as girl-type Rich and there was this like 4-year old in the Au Bon Pan who kept pointing at my purple hair. I mean I don't have a problem with kids or anything but when pointing out the crossplayer becomes a family event..... :-\ heheh

I hate to say it, but what'd you expect in Au Bon Pain? And from a little kid?

ChibiRinoa
04-25-2003, 07:41 AM
we went into a seafood restaraunt next door to the hotel, and the looks we got from the entire hotel was priceless!! the hostess was like "um...can you explain to us why so many people are in costumes?" so i did and they just nodded my head like i was crazy :D

Nikitsuki
04-25-2003, 10:46 AM
I thought the con was ok. I had only been to 2 other conventions before and Anime Boston was by far the nicest. I was a little upset by the lines but they were expected. I did like the fact that the game room was downstairs and had it's own room. Oh man... on saturday, my friend and I walked down to the CVS near Boylston St. and were bombarded by small children doing some sort of relay races? I think parents thought I was part of the festivities because they brought their children up to me and were like, "hi" It was really freaky. ^^;; I didn't go to the Masquerade because I saw the line and was like, "no way."
Priss! I saw you at AB2003 and your costume was so good!! I liked your wig! (I was the dejiko with the green hair and the funky hat) I wish that the second floor wasn't overlooking the first floor. I mean it was nice, but it didn't leave much room for anything.

number18
04-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Bah to snooty Boston attitudes...or at least the hotel goers...but there was more than once when #17 and I were walking down the street and people looked at us, not with a sneer, not with a smile...but the feeling of "what are THEY doing here" came across to me, like we were some trash wandering around giving a bad name to things. Very annoying. I would say what can you expect, but ...argh nevermind. The man and his wife, mainly his wife I think, asked what cartoon we were from after I explained what anime was, so I showed them a picture of 17 and 18 that I keep in my wallet. The lady seemed delightfully surprised at how much our costumes matched the picture and found it quite interesting. The old guy was like, oh hey I think I saw you on the something o clock news and blabizy blah, trying to make this WICKED dumb joke about space aliens or some shit. I basically stopped responding to him because a group in front of us from the con, one with an older woman not in costume, started telling the guy about anime. She was like, yeah every cartoon on saturday mornings is from Japan. And then the guy went into his idiotic oh that's what's wrong with us today speil, all grinning like he was some kind of smartass...

Hah, and then there was this one guy in the elevator, some rich kid jock with his pretty girlfriend that turned to #17 and I and said what was all this stuff. I said it's an anime convention. He responds with "oh, that Japanese shit?" like...not even caring there was another mundane in the elevator car. I was like wow...you sure got some manners...

It's surprising when you think anime is so popular now and then you end up meeting the high-society people who have no clue still. A little eye-opener.

Priss
04-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Nikitsuki-chan are you talking about me, as Michiru and my turquoise hair? If that's me, doumo,doumo, doumo arigatougozaimasu. :japan: Gomen for not taking pictures with you. Hai, I saw you too but I'm too nervous and shy asking people if I can take their pictures. I don't know why but most people (even the otakon) they make fun of Sailor Moon characters. They say there's many of them roaming around in every convention. But I really love Michiru's Mugen fuku so I keep on telling myself 'chin up Priss and enjoy, don't care for what they think about you.

oooooh, I wish we could have talked and hang out I'm so sad and alone at the con especially Friday. I didn't wear costume that day trying to find some nice people to hang and make friends. But guess what, they just snob me and when I asked some of them what's going on they answered me on top of their lungs.:waaaah: Or maybe they are just loud people, ::pouts:: even though I'm still hurt. Oh man, I'm so bombed out on my first night in Boston. Saturday was the best when I got to meet some friendly faces from cosplay.com. YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST! Woohoo!

Oh, I forgot one more thing. When I was in the dealers room, I think that was Saturday afternoon. There was one nice lady that I didn't notice right away, I think she was calling me Michiru-chan for a long time but I was so caught up with my shopping. She then waved a hand in front of my face and complimented my costume. And all I did was smiled, said thank you then went on shopping? >_< I'm so stupid for doing that I wish I could have showed her more appreaciation. So just in case that nice lady reading this, I AM SOOOOOOO SORRY! Please forgive me?

Number 18, forget those snotty people in and out of the hotel. They were just being a sour grape. For all we know they are already watching anime shows and planning what costumes they are gonna wear for next year. Particularly that old goof ball in the restaurant bakery shop.

RichAyanami
04-26-2003, 08:25 PM
Again, the Plaza Hotel was a very interesting choice for AnimeBoston. Not only is it a very nice hotel, it's located in the business/financial type part of downtown Boston... well, not exactly... But I mean, there were at least 2 Au Bon Pains within a two block radius, and down the street was a Ritz Carlton.......

.....sooo, I don't know...at least for another convention we'll have to expect at least a little bit of ..... attention...

Koumori
04-26-2003, 09:07 PM
They've been doing the Arisia sci-fi convention there for as long as I can remember, which is at least 10 years now. So the hotel is used to it. But honestly, people, you don't seriously expect that you're going to be able to go out cross-dressed as anime characters with purple hair and not attract any attention, do you? And wouldn't you be disappointed if you did?

number18
04-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Hm, it's not that I don't expect people to stare. Not at all. It's fun to get the attention, naturally. I just don't enjoy the underlying snotty feeling that I got from some people I passed by. But oh well.

And Priss, I dunno why Sailor Moon is made fun of but it's probably for the same reason people HAAAAATE(!!!!!) Dragonball Z. Or similar reasons at least, in some way. Your costume was wonderful and I enjoyed it very much. You didn't by chance have a Haruka with you ever, did you? That would have been quite nice for picture ops.

And how big is Arisa usually? While waiting in line for the masquerade some kid was telling me all about it...

RichAyanami
04-27-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Koumori
They've been doing the Arisia sci-fi convention there for as long as I can remember, which is at least 10 years now. So the hotel is used to it. But honestly, people, you don't seriously expect that you're going to be able to go out cross-dressed as anime characters with purple hair and not attract any attention, do you? And wouldn't you be disappointed if you did?

Mmmm, good point... Well in any case, we're going to attract attention but hopefully what 18 was describing doesn't happen too often...

wacko
05-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Arisia is really cool, but I just run around with my friends there, because I'm not as interested in sci-fi/fantasy as I am with anime!

JacksUsername
05-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by MrWonderfulToji
I didn't have the problem of anyone being rude, a few people didn't respond when I called them, but I'm assuming that it was more due to lack of hearing..
on sat. I saw JacksUsername, and called after you, but I assume you didn't hear me. You were on your way out of the dealers room, and I figured you were going somewhere, so i wouldn't chase you down! I found a ken and dan cosplayer, and wanted to get a marvel vs capcom 2 shot :D
but thats for next time I guess!
sean
also, jacksusername.. I've noticied us posting on lotsa the same sections of cosplay.com so I figure I should say howdy! :cheers:

Ack! so sorry, for some reason I haven't kept up with this thread. Hope I don't seem like a jerk twice. Nah, I mustn't have heard you at the dealer's room, because I actually tried to keep a lookout for cosplay.com people, but I guess I didn't that well of a job :P I sent you an PM apologizing again, don't want come off as a jerk or anything.
and Howdy!:cheers: