PDA

View Full Version : Children and DragonCon

Ciarathallya
05-06-2007, 10:33 AM
This will be my first time attending DragonCon. Additionally, I'm considering to bring along my 3 chibis. Ages 8, 11, 13. My question is will it be a waste to bring them along or possibly that they can find something to do there? I've seen adorable pics of other families and kiddies. On the other hand I am aware of the risque costumes that are worn there in comparison to other conventions. I just want to try to ensure they have an enjoyable experience for them.

This is not their first convention by any means. They've been going to cons for about 4 years now. I like to think of it as a unique way to have a family trip and embrace a shared hobby together. There's another purpose to their attendance. Each con I attend I take notes on what they did/didn't like and compile all the information for my own parents' convention guide handbook of sorts so I'll know what to look for to keep them happy and share it with other parents.

reannaremick
05-06-2007, 11:08 AM
There is actually a track of panels at Dragon Con specifically geared towards children (or rather "young adults", in addition to the con itself just being a lot of fun. I started when I was 11. I would just make sure the kiddies are in the hotel room after dinner. That's generally when most *responsible* adults wait til to start putting on the risque attire. They also used to have a sort of mini-day care in there with all sorts of activities, but I can't find anything about it on their website right now. Maybe closer to the con there will be more information.

vampirate
05-06-2007, 11:36 AM
What reannaremick said. And general event and costume-wise there probably be a fair amount from fandoms they might be interested in. Since Harry Potter I think the young adult stuff has really picked up. And if any of them read comics/watch movies/tv shows based of comics they should have no problem finding interesting things. And yeah, except for the major attention whores everyone else is sensible enough to keep the skimpier costumes up until it starts getting late.

london2191
05-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Yep, yep. Your 13 and 11 should be fine as I was 12 when I went to my first con/Dragon*Con. They do have programs and tracks and other things that should entertain them. You can check the schedule and other things at the website.

You might want to keep an eye on them tho' because there are ladies who like to wear nothing save for duct tape. x.x And this isn't just at night. Nighttime isn't all too good for them either. Especially in downtown Atlanta. -shuddershudder- If you view the pics from last year, you get a pretty good idea.

*btw, you're doing Galactica!??!! =OOO You /do/ know Lee and Kara are gonna be there this year, right? O.O*

The Kraken
05-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, most of the risque stuff is saved for late night. There's always SOMETHING to do at Dragon*Con. I'm sure they'll have a good time.

Ragresen
05-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Day time hours till about 7 pm is ok for the kiddies. Every now and then you may find something borderline but once 7 pm hits I would not keep the kinda about. I draw the line of responsibility of age at about 14. After 8 pm 13 and under should really just not be there.

london2191
05-06-2007, 10:38 PM
-is 14 years old- xD What were my parents thinking taking me to D*C at my age? *has crazy OCD mother and asian father which pretty much explains it* It's a load o' fun tho'. =D You get to see Superman, Wonder Woman, wanananna BATMAN and all these stormtroopers. The best thing for kids is is that they're all extremely accurate. Definitely take them to the parade on Saturday. It's /totally/ worth it and there aren't any nuddies. =D

The Kraken
05-07-2007, 03:51 AM
Yes. The parade is a MUST! Look for the Wolfpack! We had a blast last year and should have even more people this time around.

fightstar
05-08-2007, 11:30 AM
... Each con I attend I take notes on what they did/didn't like and compile all the information for my own parents' convention guide handbook of sorts so I'll know what to look for to keep them happy and share it with other parents.

Someone call Oprah or at least post this on Live Journal or get some kind book deal through lulu.com because this is a GREAT idea. I'm a newly, 6 months and counting, wed kinda' cosplayer myself and one day the Mrs. and I will have some lil' Ninjas of our own. I'm still going to go to the cons and plan on it in the future and it would be great to know how to bring the little ones with us.

Also, I always thought that, at Dragon Con anyway, there was an un-written rule that all the risque cosplay was NOT suppose to be out unitl 9 or 10 PM. Just thought it was a known thing since it would be nice to give the parents a chance to get the little ones to bed before they where shocked into a coma.

london2191
05-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Aw, baby ninjas! -clapclap- =D

Technically, there is an unwritten rule but there are s-l-u-t's everywhere and they don't seem to give a frak. >>

Ciarathallya
05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
*takes lots of notes* Avoid skanky dressed ppl late at night. LOL!

*btw, you're doing Galactica!??!! =OOO You /do/ know Lee and Kara are gonna be there this year, right? O.O*
I didn't know *fan girl squee* *checks website... drooling* I originally was going soley for Anne McCaffery (who isn't going to be there now). You've made me an uber happy fan girl.

Parade... ok that'll be something I think my youngest will love to death. My biggest fear was that they'd be bored. Last con they attended, they (chibis) gave me bad review of. So I was a bit worried with this one. All three have been brainwashed... er raised in a house full of fantasy, wushu, sci-fi, and anime dvds stack to the ceiling. My oldest was humming the Imperial March by the time she was two years old. Not to mention all the comics, D&D stuffage and card games they've been exposed to as well. They complained alot when they didn't see other kids. Not like tons of little kids, but when they only see one or maybe two other kids throughout a con weekend it kind of makes them feel lonely.

Hmmmm con hours. Normally I've been putting them to bed or making stay in the hotel room around 7 or 8 pm. We take that time to review the events for the following day so they can have something to look forward to. Also so that they will be well rested. And of course so that they don't end up seeing the would be under-dressed people that tend to show up after hours.

Arlette
05-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I agree with everyone else, during the day it's totally fine for kids but late at night the debauchery starts so I guess just send them to bed. XD

vampirate
05-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh, and when you guys are up in your room at night as long as you're staying at a host hotel you can still watch Dragon*Con TV. That's how I like to watch the Masquerade. But don't let them watch the Dawn contest! I was even a bit traumatized by watching it last year.

london2191
05-09-2007, 08:22 PM
xD Hah, yeah. Tsktsk.

Arlette: Are you going to be at D*C? =O

fightstar
05-10-2007, 11:46 AM
not to highjack the thread here, BUT for you Batlestar Galatica Jamie Bamber fan girls out there, here (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=cardio.activities&conitem=733c4a71be551110VgnVCM10000013281eac____).

NOW, back to talking about the children of Dragon Con education, please. LOL

Arlette
05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Arlette: Are you going to be at D*C? =O

Yep! Been there every year since 2004!

london2191
05-10-2007, 08:44 PM
OMG. -clicks link- IS HE TOWEL-LESS. =OOO

Arlette: Really? Man, how come I've never run into you? xD Have done any anime cosplays? That could be why...

Arlette
05-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Arlette: Really? Man, how come I've never run into you? xD Have done any anime cosplays? That could be why...

Well, it's a very crowded con. And I actually do avoid anime cosplay at D*C if I can help it. I can do anime costumes any time, D*C is the time to branch out and do other things! The only reason I'm planning Sawa for this year is because I'm working with a friend on it, and Atlanta will look really awesome for KITE-esque photos.

Last year I did do Ayane because Al put together a DOA group and my two good friends and D*C roommates were also being Ayane and Kasumi. But my excuse for that is that it's a game and now a really bad movie, so it doesn't count. XD

london2191
05-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Hahah, yeah. I'm not at the point where I can make cosplays on a whim.

Sorry for off-topicness!

ErinTheHalfABee
05-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Dragon*Con is a magical place, and I wish I had been exposed to cons when I was younger. Sounding like a broken record, the freak costumes do come out at night.

Another thing, what hotel are you staying in? Most of the devilish deeds go down in the Hyatt late at night, while the Hilton and the Marriot see a bit less of it (not to say that the debauchery isn't there :P). But you definately want to keep them away from the Hyatt after 8 or so, or if your room is in the Hyatt, ask for a room in one of the towers, instead of the main building, where all the noise is (literally, it is a constant roar ^_^).

Hope that helps a bit :P

The Kraken
05-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Great suggestion on asking for the tower. It's still in the hotel, but is very isolated.

Bagu
05-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Another thing, what hotel are you staying in? Most of the devilish deeds go down in the Hyatt late at night, while the Hilton and the Marriot see a bit less of it (not to say that the debauchery isn't there :P). But you definately want to keep them away from the Hyatt after 8 or so, or if your room is in the Hyatt, ask for a room in one of the towers, instead of the main building, where all the noise is (literally, it is a constant roar ^_^).

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that DC is the only con I've seen where debauchery is almost so expected an occurance that it should be a permanent fixture on the schedule.. :eeek:

Brittany Bunny
05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Meh, I'd say not to bring kids at all...especially the 8 year old. I've seen some pretty raunchy stuff going on during the day as well. The parade is the only major event I can think of that's kid-safe, as the masquerade sometimes has some adult-themed skits and such. There are also drunk people all hours of the day. O.o

If you take them, though, I'd say hole them up in the room somewhere around 4pm. After that the drinking starts picking up, the almost-nekkid costumes come out, and everyone starts acting a little more naughty. I also agree that you shouldn't book a room in the Hyatt. I'd say the Hilton; it has the fewest events booked in it, which means the fewest people at night. BTW, when I reserved my room at the Hyatt, they wouldn't let us pick specific rooms in towers. Cause I wanted a room in one of the towers, simply because the elevators are less crowded. XD

If I had kids, I wouldn't want to take them simply because I wouldn't want to worry about getting them up to the room or having to watch them or what-not. Plus I'd want to be free for the evenings!

The Kraken
05-17-2007, 01:37 AM
There are also drunk people all hours of the day. O.o

:drunk: ... OK, I need to plead guilty to this one. Last year we got there at 8 AM on Thursday and by the time the Today Show was over we were two-fisting beers. I heart D*C.

Brittany Bunny
05-17-2007, 02:33 PM
:drunk: ... OK, I need to plead guilty to this one. Last year we got there at 8 AM on Thursday and by the time the Today Show was over we were two-fisting beers. I heart D*C.

I'm not saying that's wrong at all! That's part of why I love D*C...it's pure adult escapism. That's something I don't get at any anime convention.

Rukia_Kurosaki
06-05-2007, 05:40 AM
My parents have been taking me to Dragon*Con since 1989 (Yes, I know, I was just a baby. I only missed two of them -dances-) and I grew up in the con circuit. My two cents on this is basically if a parent thinks it's okay, keep the kiddies out past 7. They needn't complain later. That's ridiculous. There is (or used to be) the kid's programming track. I honestly don't know if there is anymore seeing as how much everything has changed.

Brittany Bunny: I have to agree with you on the hotels. Up until a few years ago (2002 I think), my dad always stayed at the Hyatt. Simply walking to the coffee shop was a mental scar fest for me back then. The Hilton is the best hotel for the kiddies. If it's booked, there's always the Marriott since it has very few events at night as well. It's amazing how empty it gets after 7.

Brittany Bunny
06-06-2007, 03:28 AM
My parents have been taking me to Dragon*Con since 1989 (Yes, I know, I was just a baby. I only missed two of them -dances-) and I grew up in the con circuit. My two cents on this is basically if a parent thinks it's okay, keep the kiddies out past 7. They needn't complain later. That's ridiculous. There is (or used to be) the kid's programming track. I honestly don't know if there is anymore seeing as how much everything has changed.

Brittany Bunny: I have to agree with you on the hotels. Up until a few years ago (2002 I think), my dad always stayed at the Hyatt. Simply walking to the coffee shop was a mental scar fest for me back then. The Hilton is the best hotel for the kiddies. If it's booked, there's always the Marriott since it has very few events at night as well. It's amazing how empty it gets after 7.

Eh...I think there's still a children's track...but I think it quits having any programming in the early evening. I know that daycare is offered, but that is only during the day as well (last I knew, anyway).

BTW, the Marriott is undergoing renovations. Over at the d*c livejournal communities, there are reports that it's pretty bad and that it will still be going on during d*c. They're doing sections at a time and closing down streets downtown for it...apparently lots of hotel guests have been complaining because of all the intense noise from the renovations...I wouldn't recommend it for families with kids (or for myself!).

Rukia_Kurosaki
06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
BTW, the Marriott is undergoing renovations. Over at the d*c livejournal communities, there are reports that it's pretty bad and that it will still be going on during d*c. They're doing sections at a time and closing down streets downtown for it...apparently lots of hotel guests have been complaining because of all the intense noise from the renovations...I wouldn't recommend it for families with kids (or for myself!).

All I know is I stayed there last year and it wasn't all that bad. Also, if it was, I don't think Dragon*Con would put the guests there. The guests stay on the concierge levels.

Brittany Bunny
06-08-2007, 03:59 AM
All I know is I stayed there last year and it wasn't all that bad. Also, if it was, I don't think Dragon*Con would put the guests there. The guests stay on the concierge levels.

Last year they hadn't started this major construction. They have the streets on certain sides of the building completely closed off due to this construction. I haven't heard about where they're putting guests this year. This is just what the people that live in/around Atlanta (or are in contact with the hotel) are saying over in the d*c communities. Supposedly Baker Street is going to be the side shut down around the time d*c's going on.

Rukia_Kurosaki
06-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Last year they hadn't started this major construction. They have the streets on certain sides of the building completely closed off due to this construction. I haven't heard about where they're putting guests this year. This is just what the people that live in/around Atlanta (or are in contact with the hotel) are saying over in the d*c communities. Supposedly Baxter Street is going to be the side shut down around the time d*c's going on.

They HAD started construction. The floors beneath the Concierge were being worked on since Concierge had already been renovated. That's what the clear, plastic wrapping was on the higher floors.

Also, I've recently called the hotel. It started before Dragon*Con last year is what I was told.

Brittany Bunny
06-09-2007, 02:38 AM
I said they hadn't started the major construction they're doing now, ie, the stuff that requires closing parts of the streets downtown! o.o Here is one of the posts: http://community.livejournal.com/dragoncon/1033064.html
There is another in a different D*C community where they are talking about how long the construction should go on. Too iffy for me...but I prefer the Hyatt anyway, so it is a moot point for me. I'm just posting this for others to see!

Ichigo_Kurosaki
06-09-2007, 03:31 PM
If it's a moot point then why argue about it? I think this thread was about the Con,and kids. Keep it to PM's or something if you need to argue about it.

Brittany Bunny
06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
...why do you think we're arguing? I don't consider this an argument at all, simply a discussion and trying to figure out if the construction is going to be going on.

I brought up this point saying that people with kids (particularly young ones) may not want to stay at the Marriott, because of construction noise. Which is relevant, cause the discussion in this thread involves which hotel people with children should ideally stay at.

Rukia_Kurosaki
06-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I agree. You used exclamation points, which are considered yelling to some. The Marriott is quieter at night since construction stops. Also, they won't do it on a weekend. Besides, that Monday is Labor Day ^^ Who in their right mind is working that day????

Brittany Bunny
06-10-2007, 12:48 AM
I agree. You used exclamation points, which are considered yelling to some. The Marriott is quieter at night since construction stops. Also, they won't do it on a weekend. Besides, that Monday is Labor Day ^^ Who in their right mind is working that day????

Aiii, I've always thought of caps as "yelling." >.> Well I wasn' t getting mad at anybody... ;-;

Hmm, I didn't think of Labour Day being that weekend, so perhaps it won't be bad.

london2191
06-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Okies, I think the lady who posted this got her answer/idea. =D Thanks for the info tho', guys.

Rukia_Kurosaki
06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Sorry. ^-^

Reatrea
07-05-2007, 05:58 PM
About the night-time stuff. It can get pretty crude. If you are comfortable leaving your 13 year old to watch the others for a while at the store I would suggest doing what my parents did last year.

They went out and did the night time stuff while they left us locked in the hotel room. And to make sure we didn't escape they stuck a FREAKING CARD in our door. And they are doing it AGAIN this year although I will be 17 in Sept. and 18 in Nov. ((<<< is NOT BITTER. *twitch*))

The rule of thumb is what YOU are comfortable with. Werther that be you leaving them in, all of you out and having fun at night or everyone staying in the hotel room together and playing games and going to sleep earlier!

bobbyjody
07-24-2007, 03:19 AM
Star Wars
http://www.mattersoftheforce.org/
Matters of the Force really do good with the kids, please go see them. They will love it.