PDA

View Full Version : American Cosplay Paradise

KuroBara
08-23-2002, 01:29 AM
Hi all,
I finally got off my butt & American Cosplay Paradise (http://acparadise.com/cosplayers/stardancer.htm) today. Just to confuse everyone more, my name there is Star Dancer. I see that Lil Qoh joined today too ^_^

I just wanted to know who else was on the site, and what you thought of it. It seems like it's frequently updated, but many pics are broken. Also, the message board there isn't nearly as active as this one.

Yggdrasil Pie
08-23-2002, 02:17 AM
Ahh...I always wanted to join...too bad I'm not 16 yet.. ^^;;;

I gotta wait until next year....... nice pictures! ^^

scandia
08-23-2002, 06:55 AM
I am in it. But I have not added my most recent costume piccies. I have been WAY too busy with school (when you are the teacher, it is even busier) plus too lazy to scan the second Little Neese piccie.

kelldar
08-23-2002, 09:01 AM
I am! er, yep ^_^;

Tenjou
08-23-2002, 09:31 AM
You have to be 16? ^^: rats. three years to wait. ^^:::

Cynthia
08-23-2002, 09:59 AM
Until I can get some new pics I'm not going to bother to join. I knew I should've got some shots of myself at the con.

Rosiel
08-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Unpopular opinion follows, so you've been warned.
I'm all for discussing intelligently, but please no flames!

I've known of ACP for a while, went to check it out, and decided not to join...why you may ask? Because I see it as too meat-marketish. (To see my opinion on cosplay as a meat-market, refer to the Miss Cosplay Universe thread.) This feeling is probably spawned by the type of comments on the site. I mean I've talked with the guy who maintains it a number of times, and I think he is really nice and fun, but his comments seem to be made for the horny otaku segment of the population.

If I post my costumes, and people want to comment, I'd like them to comment on my /costume/, on my craftmanship, on my ressemblance to the character perhaps, not on how sexy I may or may not look.

If I post my costumes, I don't want to find myself in a system that separates cosplayers in categories. I don't want a caste system where some people are "Stellar" and the others are "intouchables" (I wish I knew the term in English, it's the name of the lowest caste in India) So what if some of them gave money to the site? I don't think it's the way to thank contributors. Add a nice elegant little icon next to the name, yes, but remember that people visiting the site have no idea what the categories mean (I had to have someone else explain it to me) and can only wonder why cosplayers are classified.

Speaking of which, it really needs some designwork too. ^____^

As much as I love browsing people's personal cosplay pages, and the pictures here on cosplay.com, sorry, I just don't like ACP.

KuroBara
08-23-2002, 10:34 AM
Valid points Rosiel. Lots of the comments are funny, but many are that of a horny fanboy. I hate the categories too, they should make it clearer that those people aren't necessarily better cosplayers, they just paid to host more pictures. I'd like to see a different background color & font used for the cosplayer pages, but that's just my preference.

Celine
08-23-2002, 01:04 PM
Hmm, while ACP may have its shortcomings, I have to say that it has been great helping me meet other cool female cosplayers. Since the costumes are indexed by series, when I joined, I checked on who had done what costumes, and met a whole bunch of really neat people that way. And it's worked the same way- random gals from ACP have emailed me or come up to me at conventions because they've seen my costumes on the site. I think that alone makes it worthwhile.

About the message board there- it went through too many changes in too little time, and it's never had heavy traffic, as far as I can tell. I don't think I've even registered with the newest board. ^^

HuongStar
08-23-2002, 01:59 PM
I agree with Celine; it's always nice to see what other girls have done and I've been able to get wonderful advice from girls that previously made the costume.

I donated money to ACP (and I plan on donating to Cosplay Lab soon) because they're offering a wonderful service and supporting the cosplay community. With this sudden onslaught of new cosplayers, these sites are receiving huge amount of traffic & submissions and fielding their fair share of bandwith problems (from external linking); donating seems like the right hing to do.

Hikaruchan
08-23-2002, 02:17 PM
I am a member of ACP also (as Melissa). Its though ACP that I get the most contact email about my costumes. I also like the database aspect where I can look for a certain series to see what others have done.

Persons request comments, so if don't want commentary done don't request it. On the commentary I remember, most of them were slightly amusing w only a few in poor taste.

I think the guys are kinda tired from hearing from me, as I periodically email broken links/pics to them or post them on messageboard when I have time to look at the site. When notified, probs are usually taken care of in a few days.

Tenshisama
08-23-2002, 08:25 PM
I'm also a supporter of ACP because I like having a site with a bunch of different people and many different costumes. When you register, you can choose not to have your costumes commented on. Plus, it's not all skinny "pretty" super girls. There are a wide range of people on ACP and I like supporting that too. Donation wise, I don't really care about special groups or more pictures. Heck, I only have two costumes up there anyways. It's more because I think the site is a great service even with its shortcomings.
Also, like Hikaruchan said, whenever I've emailed them about a problem, they've always fixed it in a reasonable amount of time.

I do wish it had a better design though ^_^;; A lot of times the text is hard to see because it's too light or whatever.

L to the 3rd
08-24-2002, 04:10 AM
I almost forgot I was on there..X_X;

Ayaka
08-24-2002, 01:44 PM
I might join ACP and Cosplay Lab at some point . . . when I have more costumes. I can see people's points about the shortcomings; but, I like going on and seeing who's done what costume from what series and how they've done it . . . to be honest, I didn't even know they had a comments section. I haven't explored the site much.

Tenshisama
08-24-2002, 03:09 PM
It's not a comments section.... if you want, one of the guys will take one of your pictures that you've posted on the site and then make a copy with some funny comments or whatever. you have to click on the individual comment picture thing if you want to see it. If there is a comments picture available, there will be a little banner thing next to it saying so and you click on that to see the comments picture.

Ayaka
08-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Oh, I know what you mean now. ^^ I've never clicked on it. *runs off to do so*

BabySnowLeopard
08-24-2002, 09:59 PM
O__________________O
errrrr.... X_X

Ok, first of all... if you find any broken links, missing thumbnails, etc., post it on the ACP ezboard (it's a subsection of the AGSMA board). The site is so huge, Wayne and Henry can't keep checking all the pages, so if you find something, let them know!
O_o? What's wrong with the site design? Ummm, I suggest you do your homework before commenting on Henry's site design, btw *coughs*

I personally find the commentary funny... some of them are a little too fanboyish =P but what do you expect? And a great deal of them weren't. Plenty of people used to hound him to do more commentary on their pictures. The page is getting so big now, tho... they aren't really appropriate. Oh wait. They're already gone. ^____________^
Henry hasn't done any commentary for... iunno... a really long time =P over a year, no doubt. It hasn't been an option for a long time, either. He's also taking all the old ones down (he's doing an ACP overhaul for those of you interested ^_^)

Hee if you don't want to join ACP... don't! In fact, don't visit their site ^o^ they get too much traffic anyway ^o^!! hehe makes their lives easier =3 ACP really is great for people who don't have a website, but still want others to see what they've done. There are a lot of people I would never have found otherwise. And even for people with websites, all you need is a minimalist page on ACP... pick a few good pictures that will make people want to visit your site... and with all that traffic *_* it can't hurt

...hrm... I should update my ACP page X_x

~Kie

Himemiya
08-25-2002, 03:07 PM
ACP helps me out greatly, not because I am a member, but because when I'm interested in a costume, I like to see other people's versions of it ^.^ ACP has a whole list of cosplayers by series and character *_*

Kurenai
08-25-2002, 06:23 PM
I like meeting other ACP people and seeing what other people have done with costumes ^^ I'm lazy about updating though....I have like 8 more costumes that I could put on there that I haven't yet....::sigh:: Oh well.

StacyMichelle
08-25-2002, 11:49 PM
Speaking of which, I just submitted new cosplay pics there today. ACP, to me, is a good way to find cosplayers, costumes, and to publicize my site XD

engrish
08-27-2002, 06:06 PM
ACP may be a couple of beers short of a 6-pack but it's still an asset to the cosplay community and not just for the horny fanboys who btw are probably sucking up most of the bandwith causing ACP's finacial difficulties. Sure there's crappy pics, no pics, broken links, direct linking, ect... but it's still a pretty impressive website. Besides there is no other American website that comes close to having as many cosplay pics organized by anime series/ cosplayer name. Granted there's other sites that have more pics like usagichan.com and fansview.com but they're not organized by series/ name so it would be tedious to use those sites to do research.

Anyone that gets offended by ACP's "meat market" feel then my gosh whatever you do, stay away from those Japanese cosplay sites cause they've got more tits and ass there then the Victoria Secrets web site.

Rosiel
08-27-2002, 06:55 PM
To L to the 3rd ->

I love your Legolas sig! *_____* Did you draw it?

To everyone who answered with good points and made me re-think my position ->

I can see why you'd like that site, as I never thought of it in many of the ways you presented. Moreover, I have to say that now that I know what the "ranking" is about I'm truly relieved... ^____^ It just wasn't explained on the site and I kept on wondering why some cosplayers were considered better than others! Maybe making this distinction more obvious on the page that lists cosplayers would be a plus.

To Engrish ->

What you mention makes a lot of sense actually, and contains some of the best points I have read to date. I'm seriously considering going to have another look at ACP. ^____^ Only idiots never change their minds. LOL. I am only separating you from the top part because of your last paragraph which I want to comment from a purely rhetorical standpoint.

> Anyone that gets offended by ACP's "meat market" feel then my gosh whatever you do, stay away from those Japanese cosplay sites cause they've got more tits and ass there then the Victoria Secrets web site.

So I infer because some people do worse we have no right to mention that we don't like the feel of a particular website? By that logic no one has the right to dislike something since someone will always come up with even worse.

To Leopard ->

> O_o? What's wrong with the site design? Ummm, I suggest you do your homework before commenting on Henry's site design, btw *coughs*

My homework? I am a professional software engineer, I've worked on and helped design some big e-commerce sites, I've done UI assessments and am in the middle of a design review for a big internet portal. I know a good design when I see it, I know the /basic/ rules of good design, and that site needs work.

What are /your/ credentials since you think you can scoff at my opinion?

> Hee if you don't want to join ACP... don't! In fact, don't visit their site ^o^

I hope you're only being facetious, but it seriously comes through as snide.
I gave my opinion in a very neutral manner, without attacking anyone, and feel I am entitled to the same.

engrish
08-27-2002, 07:30 PM
quote:
"So I infer because some people do worse we have no right to mention that we don't like the feel of a particular website? By that logic no one has the right to dislike something since someone will always come up with even worse. "

no no that's not what I was trying to hint. I was bringing up the Japanese cosplay sites just as a comparison. Yes it's true, ACP does have a little bit of the "meat market" feel to it but it is very mild. So much so that it's almost un-noticeable, at least to me. I'd rate ACP as PG 13 so it's safe for the kiddies to see. :D

Cait
08-27-2002, 08:38 PM
Site Design? That's considered design? Not in my book! I've run many archive sites in my day and done design and layout work for a dozen others. It might have content, but with a layout like that I don't even want to bother. Nor would I ever consider putting my pictures up on a site that looks so amatureish like that. I much prefer con report photos and personal sites. Collections of cosplayers like that are just strange to me. I never go looking for/want to see cosplayers of a specific series anyway.

I also dislike begging for donations like that. I mean it's your site! You pay! It's a pet peeve of mine...

Side Note: What is it with Japanese sites and their design? English speaking (fan, personal, cosplay) sites, I've noticed, have a tendency to be spectacular (design wise), while even some of the better Japanese sites seem to be extremely simple and devoid of the hyper design element that seems to be so common elsewhere. Is there a reason? Is it just me?

FlameSniperRei
08-27-2002, 09:01 PM
I joined ACP a lonnnnng time ago when it first started and it's so big now that I don't bother visting it anymore nor updating my pictures. x_x* It's gotten way too big, but hey that's kinda a good thing right? :)

It's not nifty in design as many other cosplay sites (like cosplay.com for example) but it's cool how it allows any female cosplayers (over 16) to be on it. And it does take a ton of work to keep on updating it and such... we just have 20 members or so in our group and it's already a pain to be on top of things with our busy lives, so I really give Wayne and Henry a lot of credit for maintaining ACP...it's hard when it's like they aren't getting anything in return really for it. :) So I guess I can't complain ^.^* And it does cost an arm and a leg for webspace... ~.~*

erk.... I haven't even had time to upload my own new costumes to our own site. x_x*

Anyway...aren't they capping the number of people on it now? or something? It's getting soooooooooo huge. x_x Maybe too big for it's own good?

Yeah it's not the greatest looking site in the world but it's pretty cool and it's basically free for members. ^.^ Can't get any better really... And the comments, well that's why u can choose to have comments or not. I chose not to.

-Gina

Phavorianne
08-28-2002, 07:02 AM
Ahem! Ok, so a little off topic... No need to get emotional here, but seriously, if you want to launch direct attacks, there is a PM function. Especially useful in the case of misconceptions.... I'm sure I'm not the only one here who isn't a fan of watching message board user disputes.

As for ACP, I agree that the database aspect is good. And I think it's actually a good thing that there isn't much of a community attached to it. Cosplay.com is much more even grounds for creating a community with the message boards and other functions. Since ACP was meant to be more of a database than a community, I think a cosplayer should not feel opposed to joining because of her dislike for any other ACP member. There are plenty of members who don't keep their pages up-to-date, so a member shouldn't feel guilty if she's lazy, either ^.^ Yes, the site needs working on, and Henry IS overhauling it, so I guess any complaints or suggestions should go to him soon so we don't have to see yet another displeasing version of the website. I personally think every eligible girl should join ACP (just as every cosplayer should join cosplay.com ^__~), especially if she doesn't have her own website, because it makes looking for her so much simpler.

HuongStar
08-28-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Cait
Side Note: What is it with Japanese sites and their design? English speaking (fan, personal, cosplay) sites, I've noticed, have a tendency to be spectacular (design wise), while even some of the better Japanese sites seem to be extremely simple and devoid of the hyper design element that seems to be so common elsewhere. Is there a reason? Is it just me?

There are some really good sites but just like with American cosplay sites, you have to be prepared to separate the wheat from the chaff. Besides, their photography and costumes speak for themselves.

Nothing more disappointing than a well-designed site filled with low-quality con shots for photographs.

"Begging for money" is a bit harsh, no? That's like saying conventions rape anime otakus for cash. If it were a smaller site, I would say that asking for donations is uncalled for but ACP is well in its rights to ask for donations. Even Cosplay Lab asks for donations and it has only been around for several months. :)

Yes, the site design leaves much to be desired but I like supporting the ACP community.

Sami
08-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Very short. ^_^

I've never visited ACP before.. well, until now. My plus is that, along with everyone else, I do think it's cool to be able to find people that have done the same costume, and see how they do it.. it's a cool resource. ^_^ I'll probably be signing up myself in a few days..

However, I must agree with Rosiel's comment on the site design; most especially the use of the Comic Sans MS fontface as the main font on nearly all of the cosplayers pages.. I find it kind of yucky and hard to read. ;_; Whatever font is on the main page (I like that font; very clean) should be used continuously throughout the whole site, to kind of keep it as a running theme throughout and unify the whole thing.. x.o;; ( Sorry, I tend to be a typeface nut sometimes.. )I think the site design on a whole is decent -- it is serving a purpose, and doing what it's supposed to -- but it could look an eensy bit better. ^_^

ROFL, I guess that wasn't "very short" like I said. ._.;;;; My two cents at least. ^_^ *browses the site s'more*

Rosiel
08-28-2002, 11:57 AM
> devoid of the hyper design element that seems to be so common elsewhere. Is there a reason? Is it just me?

I have to say I like minimalist sites... and I tend to describe (by abusing the language, yes) the Japanese site design as "Zen". It fits with what I see as Japanese aesthetics, which is (to my European eyes) rather simple, austere, with bold lines, and yet striking.

The US is all about blinking lights and huge billboards, so I guess it's a cultural thing. ^___^

FlameSniperRei
08-28-2002, 05:15 PM
I know why Japanese sites are usually very plain and don't have a million pictures liek most american sites. It is because they get charge per whatchamacallit, transfer rate or data thats transfered on their computer(?) I was in Japan and talking to Barbie and Kaie and I dunno why but we started talking about websites and then they told me that it's different in Japan that people get charged by how much bytes or whatever they have to download n stuff... like the more simple a site the less the person will get charged for viewing it. sorry for like sounding unclear but im not the most techincal person so I don't really know the terminology. But yeah they have a reason to be as simple as possible otherwise they'll wind up paying a lot of molla (well yen in this case) for big sites with huge pictures and graphics. I guess we're kinda lucky in America, cuz we can have whatever we want, and we just basically pay a flat rate for internet connection.

-Reinoa

Babbit_Chan
08-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Wow... We have it so easy with the internet over here... I feel lazy now >>;

BabySnowLeopard
08-28-2002, 08:10 PM
*giggles* Well I'm amused ^o^ *tosses around grains of salt*

=3 *gives Henry a color-wheel* he might need this =O
I wonder if he knows how to use it O.O'
Well, since we're on the subject ^_____^ The site design is not the greatest... but OMG it's waaaaay better than the old ones O_< I've gotten used to this one... but I've filed my complaints XDDDDDD and don't even remind me about the old font! LOL!!! All I've got to say is... at least it's Henry, and not Wayne. Henry, this new site better be good ~XD

Ne Gina ^o^ I don't think they ever actually set a member limit... there was just no way to do that fairly. They just suggested that as a way to avoid asking for donations =P Heh... I've complained to Wayne before that I didn't like the splitting into categories... it makes it pretty hard to search for people when they are split up arbitrarily! You never know where to look! =[ But at least ppl are in alphabetical order now X_x
rar... and I hear so many complaints about ACP going over on bandwidth, and about bad submissions LOL! poor guys ^_^'

Ooo! Actually, what the guys need is more Acy fan art ^o^ there's been a shortage of that lately. So any of you artists out there~ I'm sure everyone would love to see your renditioning of her
*doesn't know why they even still bother with a mascot O_o*

~Kie