PDA

View Full Version : FMA Cosplay


wwfjph
05-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Anyone know where I could find a design or pattern I could use to make some of the cosplay for characters from FullMetal Alchemist? Like the State Alchemists or Edward Elric. Also, some from Naruto would be nice also if you happen to know some too.

nymph62442
05-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, for the patteren for Ed's red jacket i jues one that i found at wallmart.
the brand is simplicity. You can order it from this site:
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=thumbnail.cfm&cat=4&type=19&sec=39&StartRow=11

The rest of his costume i am currently altering pieces of clothing that i have found at goodwill. I am sure if you look around the sight enough or in the books at wallmart you can find a pattern that will work for other costumes also. Bt the way their is a lot of turturials here and their on the web if you google search it.

wwfjph
05-10-2007, 03:34 AM
ok thanks, anyone happen to know where any other stuff is?

The*Fallen*One*
05-10-2007, 05:23 AM
http://www.automail.janchan.com/index.html great for Edward Elric

ElleBrat
05-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I made all of my costume from scratch, making my own patterns as well, and it turned out fine.

If you want to make your own patterns, get clothing in your wardrobe similar to the clothes you want to make. (So if you want to make a pattern for pants, get a pair of pants out.) Turn it inside-out, and for pants/shorts, tuck one leg inside of the other. LABEL EVERYTHING, or you'll kick yourself later.

Trace the outline onto your preferred paper (I always use newspaper, because I can attach it to the fabric and then rip it off without any fuss), and then cut the pattern out. If you need to use more than one sheet of newspaper, make sure you sticky tape the pieces together.

So, you then have one half of a pant leg. Yay! (You also need to cut a half-triangle kinda piece from the two front pieces, or else you won't have a crotch.)

Then, using the same pattern, cut out three more legs from the fabric. I put masking tape on the two back pieces, to stop me from messing up.

Also - I forgot to put this up there - make sure you alter the pattern to fit your measurements, and always have extra for the hems. I do about 5cm extra, but that's because I can't sew in a straight line.

Then sew it all together, hope you got the measurements right, and sew another bit of material on to the top inside of the pants. Then, sew it on the outside, and add more bits of material for the belt holdery-thingies.

And all through-out the process, make sure the measurements are correct. I found out after I made my pants that one of my thighs is slightly larger than the other, and consequently, the pants wouldn't go on. -_-;;

I use the same process for all clothing I make, and it turns out fine (when I'm not making pants or shorts out of satin).

blackcat523
05-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I used a basic robe pattern for my Alphonse Jacket and added the hood.
My military outfit was a bit more difficult though (used a civil war pattern for the basis and altered it as needed)

The Hag
05-12-2007, 09:30 AM
For dogs of the military, I also started with a civil war pattern (McCalls 4745 - probably the same one as blackcat!) but ended up changing/adding a lot (skirt, cuffs, epaulets, collar, front closure). It was time consuming but the only really hard part was getting the front flap right and sewing on all that grey trim. I ended up making my own bias tape but there are no doubt easier ways to do it. Oh, and embroidering that emblem thing on the collar was a pain too!

wwfjph
05-18-2007, 01:38 AM
thanks you all were a big help

blackcat523
05-18-2007, 04:48 PM
You can buy the pins now on EBAY for the collar, My toughest part was the buttcape (though I've heard you can use an a-line skirt pattern). Mine is all one complete piece. And the trim on mine is ribbon folded over. If you can and have the time I suggest a practice jacket first, so you can get the right look, then use the good fabric.

pixie_princess
05-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I ended up draping wax paper cut into shapes over my husbands form. I then went on to tape and pin them into place. I altered it a little bit more to get a better feel for the general look. For the jacket and pants, I used a standard civilwar pattern. I made a lot of changes to it. I added cuffs, extra fabric to get the right look for the collar, the front flap and shape of the jacket, and made my own little epulates. I'm in the process of putting up write ups on both my costume (Noah from the movie) and a standard military costume. I also made my own bias tape. It was a pain in the @ss since the fabric didn't like holding the fold without encouragement, and I had to prepare it a strip at a time and pin it into place.
The only thing I would change is the front straps on the mini cape that end in a triangle type shape (technically they are squares on corners...). Its the only part of the costume I was unable to measure and see how it looked against my husband, so I fear I went a bit too big. I have a couple pictures up here. I'll have more later after the weekend.