PDA

View Full Version : AMA and Katsucon

rif4ever
05-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi, this will be my 2nd con ever (Katsucon '07 was my first) so I was wondering if someone could compare the two, so I know a little more about AMA?

Kaoshima
05-13-2007, 06:58 PM
AMA is usually a smaller con, but who knows? This year might get up there. But whatever happens, it's likely to be very roomy in parts of the GRCC, lot's of room to socialize with fellow otaku, relax, or have a photoshoot. It's gonna be fairly laid back, nowhere near as big as Kastu... yet...

rif4ever
05-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Awesome. I'ma laid-back kinda gal :snoring:
Can't wait to go!

bamboocactus
05-14-2007, 09:04 AM
AMA is held in a convention centre, while Katsu at a hotel. Therefore right off the bat you've got a loooot more room. Also, the con centre is really well-lit; there's a ton of natural light getting in. Katsu is kind of dark in my opinion, because of the classical lighting of the hotel. I'm not sure about numbers, but I know AMA is significantly smaller than Katsu, and as such is definitely more laid-back. That's how I usually describe it.

You'll like it! Richmond is absolutely dead at that time of year, so you won't have to deal with locals apart from the occasional hobo. Just make sure you know where the food is. Lemme know if you need anything! :bigtu:

MH-chan
05-14-2007, 05:57 PM
There are plenty of places to eat in close distance to the center~ Also there are hotels in walking distance, the one I was in last year was a little over a block away, it was nice. Also theres a parking garage very close to the convention which is very accomidating!

Like the others said AMA is generally quite small compared to Katsu, which makes it a great place to meet new people! And indeed veryvery laid back, almost serene~ and comfy!

As for constuffs the things like artist alley and dealers room are fairly smaller, but still nice ^^

rif4ever
05-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Ok! Thanks, both of you. I'm staying at the hotel connected to the convention center, so I suppose getting there'll be pretty easy. I'm no Ryoga, after all...
And I think my mom and I will be able to handle getting food. :)

bamboocactus
05-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Dunno what you're talking about, the dealer's room is the biggest part! :D Well, the main events hall is huge, too... but yeah, the dealer's room is a tiny room and the artist's alley takes up a main hall. There was even a miniature impromptu rave in the AA last year from what I heard. :3

MH-chan
05-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Haha, the dealers room was actually had a lot more than I expected; everything was just kinda smushed together xD fun madness.

Oh snaps, for food (again, yes, I lieks me foods x3 ) theres a cafateria in the center~

bamboocactus
05-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah but it's expensive as balls. There's plenty of other places to go outside the centre.

MH-chan
05-14-2007, 08:39 PM
True, true. But if your starving or just want candy but don't want to leave the con it's nice, or for a snack inbetween your busy schedual~

(okayhonestlyIgotherejustforcandythatotherpeoplebu ymeshh)

Bagu
05-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Hmm I dunno.. I had the hardest time finding something as simple as a grocery store within walking distance of the hotel, and the hotel resturant is pretty expensive.

It would bring some emergency snacks with you prior to arriving.

Nekko
05-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I just live outside of richmond so I go to Kroger, stock up and stick everything in the refridgerator.. I also work for choice hotels so my discount is awsome!

35 a night at the clarion? SWEET!

spanner
05-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Hmm I dunno.. I had the hardest time finding something as simple as a grocery store within walking distance of the hotel, and the hotel resturant is pretty expensive.

It would bring some emergency snacks with you prior to arriving.

As with most cities, you're hard pressed to find something like that. Granted, I haven't really hung around in that part of Richmond to be able to say so-and-so is right on X Street... my haunts were further into the city. But in my drive throughs, I didn't even really see a convience store nearby.

I agree, if you're one to worry over food, to bring stuff with you. It's quite handy, especially if your room is home to an unexpected party~ XD

fatalinjection
05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
As with most cities, you're hard pressed to find something like that. Granted, I haven't really hung around in that part of Richmond to be able to say so-and-so is right on X Street... my haunts were further into the city. But in my drive throughs, I didn't even really see a convience store nearby.

I agree, if you're one to worry over food, to bring stuff with you. It's quite handy, especially if your room is home to an unexpected party~ XD

Or an expected one...

spanner
05-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Or an expected one...

Huuurrr. True.
Just sayin after years of hotel stays at events... more people than originally invited show up. Thieves. :hafha:

fatalinjection
05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Huuurrr. True.
Just sayin after years of hotel stays at events... more people than originally invited show up. Thieves. :hafha:

That's when you bust out the bankai u_u;;;

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 11:49 AM
That reminds me, I wonder who's having parties this time around...

spanner
05-15-2007, 11:51 AM
That's when you bust out the bankai u_u;;;

True. Let me hurry and achive it.

That reminds me, I wonder who's having parties this time around...

Me and fatal.... LOL >.> Bleach drinking game for all~

fatalinjection
05-15-2007, 11:52 AM
True. Let me hurry and achive it.

I'm too lazy to achieve bankai...I'll just let you take care of that >.>

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM

Oh word. Too bad I don't cosplay Bleach :P Yet... Man, that Shunsui has been on the drawing board for ages. >_>;

spanner
05-15-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm too lazy to achieve bankai...I'll just let you take care of that >.>

My bankai would probably be something ridic.. like Procrastination Sloth... give me an hour and I'll eventually make it close enough to reach you and scratch with my mighty talon............ >.>

Oh word. Too bad I don't cosplay Bleach :P Yet... Man, that Shunsui has been on the drawing board for ages. >_>;

Don't have to be cosplaying Bleach. We're just watching episodes and pounding down whatever is within reach XD Well, at least, I am.

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Haha nice. Dude, Bleach has been getting really, really good lately, I wouldn't want to ruin that with an altered state of mind. Then again, if we watched the FILLER... I wouldn't want to be coherent for that. Hehe.

fatalinjection
05-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Haha nice. Dude, Bleach has been getting really, really good lately, I wouldn't want to ruin that with an altered state of mind. Then again, if we watched the FILLER... I wouldn't want to be coherent for that. Hehe.

Well, it has been getting really good, but it's still pretty cliche. Take a drink everytime Orihime asks Kurosaki-kun if he's okay, take a drink everytime someone calls someone else a bastard, etc.

spanner
05-15-2007, 11:58 AM

I think Bleach could only get funnier in an altered state. I think we'd get stoned for even bringing filler eps with us. I'm not so sure I'd want to get beat up by some random cosplayer at my first con. Maybe my second... but not the first.

fatalinjection
05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
My bankai would probably be something ridic.. like Procrastination Sloth... give me an hour and I'll eventually make it close enough to reach you and scratch with my mighty talon............ >.>

LMAO. Mine would be...well. I wouldn't even have one. I would just pretend I was waiting for the perfect moment to reveal it, and then...never do it 9.9; Too lazy fo' that.

spanner
05-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Well, it has been getting really good, but it's still pretty cliche. Take a drink everytime Orihime asks Kurosaki-kun if he's okay, take a drink everytime someone calls someone else a bastard, etc.

Yeah, besides, we did get some good rules from CLB. Also, we have some vintage sake, but my dad won't give it to me LMAO.

fatalinjection
05-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, besides, we did get some good rules from CLB. Also, we have some vintage sake, but my dad won't give it to me LMAO.

What the hell, that jerk >:O Well, do you have any...non-vintage sake? XD I just want to drink sake in my Matsumoto costume ;~;

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Haha that's awesome. Come to think of it, my roommate and I are great at thinking up drinking games, we should get on that. For the filler, you'd probably have to take a shot every time Ichigo's face is drawn differently XD You'd be passed out in like ten minutes.

And doesn't sake taste like shit? So I'm told. >.>;;

spanner
05-15-2007, 12:04 PM
What the hell, that jerk >:O Well, do you have any...non-vintage sake? XD I just want to drink sake in my Matsumoto costume ;~;

I know! Actually my mom was the one who said "DONT U DAR TOCH IT." Whatever, it's been sitting in there for... I'm gonna guess... well before the time I was born. Oh yeah, it won't be a problem to get some. Especially because it will be more fun to do a shoot with some sake as shinigamis.

Haha that's awesome. Come to think of it, my roommate and I are great at thinking up drinking games, we should get on that. For the filler, you'd probably have to take a shot every time Ichigo's face is drawn differently XD You'd be passed out in like ten minutes.

YA RITE. MORE LIKE TEN SECONDS.

Sake's not so bad. I suppose it all depends on the grade and what you like.

fatalinjection
05-15-2007, 12:06 PM

LOL that is very true! Those animators got laaazy.

And most alcohol tastes like shit. >_> Well, to me. I only like a few things, and mostly just mixed drinks. But. I will brave sake for Rangiku-san u_u

fatalinjection
05-15-2007, 12:07 PM
I know! Actually my mom was the one who said "DONT U DAR TOCH IT." Whatever, it's been sitting in there for... I'm gonna guess... well before the time I was born. Oh yeah, it won't be a problem to get some. Especially because it will be more fun to do a shoot with some sake as shinigamis.

Yes, we definitely have to get a shoot of that! Well, off to the beach now :( C U L8ER.

spanner
05-15-2007, 12:08 PM
LOL that is very true! Those animators got laaazy.

And most alcohol tastes like shit. >_> Well, to me. I only like a few things, and mostly just mixed drinks. But. I will brave sake for Rangiku-san u_u

Why do I have a feeling I'll be the most inhebriated ............ >.>

Ugh and have fun at the beach D: I expect my name drawn in the sand like you promised.

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I'm the same way. I dunno, I might be crazy, but for some reason I'm not a fan of drinking things that taste like shit. Or acetone. As such I'm EXTREMELY picky about beer, and I usually just stick to malt beverages like Twist or Mike's. Though sweet beverages like Kahlua are good, too. Ugh, I sound like an alcoholic, even though I haven't had a drink in weeks. XD

spanner
05-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I'm the same way. I dunno, I might be crazy, but for some reason I'm not a fan of drinking things that taste like shit. Or acetone. As such I'm EXTREMELY picky about beer, and I usually just stick to malt beverages like Twist or Mike's. Though sweet beverages like Kahlua are good, too. Ugh, I sound like an alcoholic, even though I haven't had a drink in weeks. XD

Beer is disgusting.......... outside of Sparks.

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I can TOLERATE Blue Moon and I'm told Red Stripe is really good... but the last time my roommate brought in a beer he swore to god was delicious I almost gacked it. Blargh.

spanner
05-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Beer and delicious do not belong in the same sentence.

MH-chan
05-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Ugh, being underaged is no fun~

Kaoshima
05-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Drunk people are funny, I leik to mess with their minds! XP I'm totally gonna sound like a kid from some youth group but IMO that's why I think it's more fun not to drink. :D But I do plan on trying sake someday.

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Ugh, being underaged is no fun~

Sure it is! You live under the protective bubble of your parents' home and dime, and your most active concerns are "OMG does that boy like me?" and "Where will I get the money for that cute pair of shooz??"

Relish your youth.

I'm totally gonna sound like a kid from some youth group but IMO that's why I think it's more fun not to drink. :D But I do plan on trying sake someday.

Yeah I didn't drink for years and years, mostly because I do a lot of physical activity and I kinda like my body, so I figured that putting stuff in it that made it work less well was kind of a stupid idea. Then one day I just said "F*** it, I can't knock something I haven't tried" and went drinking with some friends. I rarely ever drink these days, though.

And yeah I think every Otaku wants to try sake simple because it's Japanese and it's in like every anime ever but in all honesty I'm told by everyone that it's strong as shit and not all that user-friendly. Plus it's got a ridiculously high AC so you'll probably end up going way past your limit before you even realise it.

Have fun! :D

Nekko
05-15-2007, 06:55 PM
*Cries for being only twenty*

Why oh why was I born in October?

BUUUUT I can drink juice! Yay juice!

the LAN warrior
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh it's not that bad. unfortunately the only stuff i can get around here is not the highest quality so it needs to be drunk hot. That, kiddos, is an interesting experience.

spanner
05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh it's not that bad. unfortunately the only stuff i can get around here is not the highest quality so it needs to be drunk hot. That, kiddos, is an interesting experience.

I can't stomach hot sake. The thought alone gives me a bit of a dry heave hur hur

the LAN warrior
05-15-2007, 09:05 PM
If i had a choice i wouldn't drink it myself, but the heat covers up the less desirable qualities. If i could get my hands on some high quality sake, that i would drink cold.

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
That's the part I don't get, drinking stuff that tastes like shit. If you need to cover up the taste then it probably isn't worth drinking. Like vodka. XD

spanner
05-15-2007, 09:43 PM
That's the part I don't get, drinking stuff that tastes like shit. If you need to cover up the taste then it probably isn't worth drinking. Like vodka. XD

Hahaha I agree with you there. Vodka is like drinking nailpolish remover. Unless it's in a Long Island Ice Tea.... theeeennnn it's a-ok.

stafffighter
05-15-2007, 09:44 PM
*shudders* vodka.......yuck

MH-chan
05-15-2007, 10:21 PM
*Cries for being only twenty*

Why oh why was I born in October?

BUUUUT I can drink juice! Yay juice!

Juice party, anyone?

bamboocactus
05-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Hahaha I agree with you there. Vodka is like drinking nailpolish remover. Unless it's in a Long Island Ice Tea.... theeeennnn it's a-ok.

That's what everyone says, it tastes like acetone! Like ten people have told me that... hell, I couldn't even drink half a shotglass full of that stuff, BLEAGH. Haven't had a Long Island Iced Tea, but I did have a Sex on the Beach once and that was just like... WAY too covered up with sweet juice and stuff. I could barely drink it it was so sweet, hehe XD

the LAN warrior
05-15-2007, 11:24 PM
oh i KNOW you are NOT dissing vodka! It is one of the best liquids in the world. The pure clean taste. And combine that with the ability to mix with almost anything and absorb the flavors. It is wonderful.

spanner
05-16-2007, 12:09 AM
That's what everyone says, it tastes like acetone! Like ten people have told me that... hell, I couldn't even drink half a shotglass full of that stuff, BLEAGH. Haven't had a Long Island Iced Tea, but I did have a Sex on the Beach once and that was just like... WAY too covered up with sweet juice and stuff. I could barely drink it it was so sweet, hehe XD

Long Island Ice Teas I will defend to my death. I think that's one of the greatest drinks ever invented... not only -- when made correctly -- does it taste great but it gets you where you wanna be quick. XD Bars in Philly don't know how to make them -- lol pineapple and/or orange juice have no place in there. Yeah, Sex on the Beach is way too sweet. Electric Lemonade is another good use of Vodka. I feel like such a lush :lost: though I barely drink

oh i KNOW you are NOT dissing vodka! It is one of the best liquids in the world. The pure clean taste. And combine that with the ability to mix with almost anything and absorb the flavors. It is wonderful.

My friend can drink it straight... it's just too much. It's great for mixing, but alone it's just like eating paint or something.

the LAN warrior
05-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Drinking it straight is not something i would do willingly. shots of straight vodka on the other hand...
and i just want to say: God bless my Irish liver.

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Yeah... you're the first person I've heard talk about vodka in a light other than "it tastes like paint thinner". Maybe you've had so much that you're way too used to it now? :D

the LAN warrior
05-16-2007, 12:55 AM
That might be the case. But at least i dont drink beer, thats something, right?

...Right?

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Right. Beer is nasty. :D

spanner
05-16-2007, 09:43 AM
I thought all dudes liked beer. I've been so mislead my whole life...

Bagu
05-16-2007, 12:53 PM
I agree with bam.. beer is pretty nasty...and even alcohol in general, because I like having an adaquate brain cell supply to get through this time called life.

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree with bam.. beer is pretty nasty...and even alcohol in general, because I like having an adaquate brain cell supply to get through this time called life.

Yeah that's kind of important. When people go on about getting hammered I just say something to the effect of really enjoying the company of my brain cells, heh. They're important and they don't grow back! O.O;;

the LAN warrior
05-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh that is just not true. moderate consumption of alcohol is beneficial to the body. It lowers stress, reduces blood pressure, and a plethora of other things, and what does that all mean? BETTER HEALTH! Even Jesus condoned drinking. I love alcohol, but only in moderation.

fatalinjection
05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Oh that is just not true. moderate consumption of alcohol is beneficial to the body. It lowers stress, reduces blood pressure, and a plethora of other things, and what does that all mean? BETTER HEALTH! Even Jesus condoned drinking. I love alcohol, but only in moderation.

And wine is good for your heart ^^

Reiko
05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
AMA is more friendly and more relaxed :) atleast thats what I think.

Kaoshima
05-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Indeed! back to the subject at hand, AMA and Katsu, though... everything that could be said pretty much has been said... o_O

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 03:25 PM
That's true, it's just a chatroom now, hehe. All the AMA threads have gotten grossly off topic XD

the LAN warrior
05-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Heh, yeah. But i haven't been to AMA, so i cant comment on it. Have been to katsu though.

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Katsu's actually making the move to a con centre next year, I think I mentioned before, so it'll be interesting to see how it matches up to the other smaller northeast cons. AUSA is my favourite, personally.

the LAN warrior
05-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Oh i lost my convention cherry to AUSA.

spanner
05-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Even Jesus condoned drinking. I love alcohol, but only in moderation.

I know we're supposed to be back "on topic" but LMAO anyway. That's what I say all the time. Water into wine, people.

With that I'll leave this thread because I can't ever stay on topic. ^^;

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Oh i lost my convention cherry to AUSA.

XD Haven't heard it put that way before, hehe

I think if you took all the people that attend AUSA and put them in a big con centre, you'd get AMA. Except for the grumpy security, AUSA doesn't have that... :P

Kaoshima
05-16-2007, 03:51 PM
My con cherry went to AMA 2004, If I remember correctly, that was the year of the soccer strife, that was funny. lol

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 03:54 PM
What happened at this "Soccer strife"? o.O

*is a huge football hooligan*

Kaoshima
05-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Apparently, there was a kid's league soccer tournament in town, and a bunch of the kids (rough guess of ages: 10-13) were staying in the same hotel that AMA was in. Some of the parents and coaches were evidently not very happy with this turn of events, and made their greivances known to both hotel and AMA staff, although, it wasn't like anything could be done. Meanwhile, many oblivious otaku were curious as to why there seemed to be an overabundance of Whistle! cosplayers. And those who knew merely laughed at the plight of the overprotective soccer-moms.

bamboocactus
05-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Hahaha wow I'm sorry I missed that XD

Yeah there was something similar to that at AMA 06. There happened to be a rodeo taking place on that same weekend in an arena that's adjacent to the convention centre, and naturally all the participants were staying in the hotel connected to the con centre. We saw them a bunch in the hotel, and they even wandered the con centre for a while. Heck, they even showed up at the rave! We all just assumed they were Brokeback cosplayers. XD

Kaoshima
05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh yeah I remember that, lol, :D

the LAN warrior
05-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Now i kinda hope something interesting happens this year.

Bagu
05-18-2007, 03:13 PM
You could always call the hotel to inquire what things are going to be going the same time AMA is going...that might give a idea of any crazy happenings.

bamboocactus
05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I dunno, I kinda like the surprise of it all :D

Kaoshima
05-19-2007, 09:35 AM
I know for a fact that we won't be getting any cowboys this year though, (gee wilikers, what a shame... :D)

XoPinkuSpiderxo
05-19-2007, 10:54 AM
it is a shame. the cowboys could all have gone drinking with you guys (i say you guys because i'm not big on drinking) but if they feel the need to play DDR i'm their main girl :D

a quick mirror question of the subject, is katsu any good?

the LAN warrior
05-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I had fun when i went.

bamboocactus
05-19-2007, 01:27 PM
It's alright. It's not my favourite but next year it'll be in a con centre instead of a hotel so we'll see how it improves.

the LAN warrior
05-19-2007, 03:10 PM
It was a little crowded and it would definitely benefit from a larger area.

Lumasnati
05-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Woah. Hold up. Katsucon is moving?! AGAIN?! If they're moving to the DC convention center, they're screwed. X___X; I know Otakon is trying it's hardest to move closer to DC... I have heard rumors that they are trying to move to the DC convention center... but honestly.. Katsucon moving there would be a bad move. OO;

Bagu
05-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Otakon should move to that brand new hotel/convention center thats being built on the edge of the Potomac, next to the Wilson Bridge project, which should be completed in 2008.

AUSA talked about that for a little bit...its an enormous space.

Lumasnati
05-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Anime USA wouldn't need it for another couple of years... They're FAR too small to need a convention space.... OO;

bamboocactus
05-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Woah. Hold up. Katsucon is moving?! AGAIN?! If they're moving to the DC convention center, they're screwed. X___X; I know Otakon is trying it's hardest to move closer to DC... I have heard rumors that they are trying to move to the DC convention center... but honestly.. Katsucon moving there would be a bad move. OO;

Otakon isn't moving. The rumours were dispelled at the closing ceremonies of Ota 06. Katsu is moving to the Crystal City convention centre last I heard, but Katsu 08 will remain in the Omni Shoreham (which isn't all bad, I actually like that hotel. Except for those circular hallways when you're trying to find your room... yuck!).

I dunno where exactly the centre is that you're talking about Bagu, but Baltimore's been home to Ota for god knows how long, I dunno if they'd want to move... then again, the con IS getting flippin' huge. >_< They could probably use a bigger space.

AUSA is certainly filling out the Sheraton in Tyson's Corner, they might want to move to a con centre or a bigger hotel in the next few years. o.O

Lumasnati
05-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I know that [from my friend who helps run AUSA] that they are going to be in the Hyatt for a couple of years. -smile- The Hyatt is perfect for the convention until they hit their 8 thousand attendee mark. They're not as big as Katsucon, but they're not going to move from the Hyatt anytime soon.

bamboocactus
05-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I could've sworn it was a sheraton... @_@

edit: Yeah, it's a Hyatt. Gyaaah! Finals syndrome is bearing down on me >_<