PDA

View Full Version : Ax Wtf?

Morrissey
04-22-2003, 04:49 AM
There has been some disturbing happenings behind the scenes of AX. http://pub130.ezboard.com/fanimeexpofrm4.showMessage?topicID=128.topic

We need some answers! I need to know that everything I've been working for isn't a lie.

MikigamiTokiya
04-22-2003, 08:38 AM
one word for that...wow.. if that is a hoax it's pretty damn well though out though you must admit..

Sana-chan
04-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Hmmm.... interesting. Dunno whether to believe if it's true or not cuz apparently lotsa ppl juss say stuff over on the AX boards, another reason why I don't post there, but then again what do I know (shurg). If it really is true then.... wow O_o.

Michi
04-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Anyone want to make a quick summary of all that for me? x_x; I read it all and I don't get what's going on, but that may be [is probably] due to my lack of sleep.

Lil Dreamer
04-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Sana-chan
Hmmm.... interesting. Dunno whether to believe if it's true or not cuz apparently lotsa ppl juss say stuff over on the AX boards, another reason why I don't post there, but then again what do I know (shurg). If it really is true then.... wow O_o.

well seeing as the poster was the founder of AX, i think his words are a bit more credible than just the average poster's.

Nipple. :)

khamryn
04-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Lionel posted that link too... about made my jaw drop. @.x

Hikaruchan
04-22-2003, 12:22 PM
I would want to hear the other side of the story, but want he wrote sounds quite possible.

LionBoogy
04-22-2003, 01:46 PM
It's not a joke. The post is very real. The only people really qualified to speak out and be believable are those who've been working alongside with me for almost or over 10 years. But I do believe FANS should speak out as well, because it is YOUR money that must be used to get cool Guests and to make sure we treat the staffers and fans well. Money should mostly go to tech, panels, dances, films, and things that matter to the FANS, and of course the staff who are also fans. That is the bread and butter of ANY con.

I am not an active participant in the post, but I do believe it answers a lot of questions some of us had for a long time. And as you all know, I don't get paid at AX, and do in fact pay my own way (even the rooms!) for ALL the cons I go to. I make that choice for myself, but axing budget for staffers who can't afford to do what I do is seriously wrong.

I really care a lot about the staff and AX and want to make sure things get fixed and now is the time they better get fixed. I will not stand by and be neutral on this subject.

The people who run cons should be people who go to many cons and interact with the fans.

- Lionel

Lil Dreamer
04-22-2003, 01:54 PM
i agree Lionel, the staff is getting shortchanged when they are asked to work 8 hours a day for all days of the con and not even get paid a damn cent for it while others that are higher-up reap the financial benefits. and the staff does it as a favor to the community itself and not to "get paid". i think it's about damn time that things like this get straightened out before i plunk down another 32 hours of my life doing staff-work at AX this year.

RoseDuelist
04-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Ok, what I get out of it is that people at the bottom aren't getting paid and a few people are mad that they are juts volunteers? Ok, while that "Jennifer" lady shouldn't be giving herself a raise like that, if people are volunteering then they know they aren't getting paid. I don't know.. obviously a lot of people are upset, but I'm really confused.

As Michi said, anybody else want to sum it up? I'm obviously missing some key points ((i have to read fast because AOL loves logging me off))

**edited to add**

After reading lil dreamers post I understand better. 32 hours?! MY gosh. I get it now. That's a lot of work when other people aren't doing as much and getting paid more.

Lil Dreamer
04-22-2003, 03:05 PM
u read that right Rose. each staffer at AX is required to work 8 hours a day for each day of the con. and it's not the fact that us, as volunteers, aren't getting paid. it's the fact that most of us bust our ass to make the con an enjoyable experience for all attendees and to better the community, not to fatten some higher-ups' pockets.

Michi
04-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Ah.. I think I'm understanding it better.. but it's still very.. big and confusing. ^_^;

Morrissey
04-22-2003, 03:44 PM
I don't care about the money going to me or the staff. The money should be used to bring more guests and to make our events even better. It's not fair to the staffers and especially it's not fair to the attendees. They spend allot of money and in return should have that money used to make their experience that much better. I'm still waiting for the other side of the story.

soshi
04-22-2003, 05:12 PM
no one should get paid for working at, or for, a con. the most anyone is entitled to for their work is a free room and/or pass. I don't see why people running the convention should get paid. it's a once-a-year event, not a job. it's a hobby. *shakes head*

AX isn't going to last much longer if this continues. the lack of exciting guests, the obscene lines to get into the dealers hall, the rediculous new masquerade ticket policy, and the fact that the 4-day passes are insanely expensive... it's going to kill the con. I'm not even buying a badge this year - it's not worth it. I bought one last year, and never did ANYTHING that required using it. I just hung around with my friends and cosplayed. I'm really starting to think the con's not good for much of anything besides seeing friends. >_<

JoeBoeing
04-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Well, I haven't liked AX for the last two times I went (Anime Con 91 and AX95-01, volunteer AX97) and I wouldn't have been going this year if it weren't for a couple frined that are going that I really want to meet in real life.

I always knew AX is going to go down hill. the lines are to long, the hotels and convention centre are way to crowded and the price to go for all 4 days plud hotel are really steep.

I know the perfect hotel for a small con that would be nice and cosey like Ani-Magic in Ventura... (40 min south of Santa Barbara) and the hotel has nice staff and it's on the beach. I'd love to start up a con but have no idea on how to do so.

This year will be my last AX.

FRom,
Joe

Hikaruchan
04-22-2003, 05:33 PM
I am just wondering how the top people are justifying a salary. I am on the board of a not for profit con, and we definitely don't get paid. If we were lucky and made a profit for the year, people are reimbursed for any money they put in to make the con happen and the rest goes to future con. If we lose money, not reimbursed and more has to come out of boards pocket to cover the debt.

RoseDuelist
04-22-2003, 06:10 PM
I hope AX doesn't end.

How much the people at the top get paid? If it is more than about $4,000 a year then it's too much. That's how much my friend got for working for a Rose Parade commity (different event, but similar).

Geez.. I didn't know this was effecting the quality of AX. That really sucks. I mean, the small volunteers I can understand if they don't get paid. But to have this effect how good the show is? Not very good leadership to me..

Sana-chan
04-22-2003, 07:51 PM
I really hope AX doesn't go too down the hill tho @_@. I think one of the problems with last year was that they put us in the smaller exhibition room than they had us in the previous year in Long Beach. AX is juss really popular so you have to make accomodations for large crowds and stuff. But all that aside, the money should be for the guests and activities at AX.... and it seems that a lot of the staff seems to believe in this as well.

ambitiousmiyavi
04-24-2003, 01:29 AM
I really also hope that AX does not go down hill and I do agree that the AX should accomadate to the increasing crowd every year. I remember in AX 2001, I just walked in the Dealer's room. But then in AX 2002, I had to wait in line for almost an hour to buy a dvd. That's crazy. And I still haven't had the chance to see the masquerade or the music video contest. But I'll still keep on going, I love it. But I seriously think that the hotel prices are getting higher every year. It's like you have to put 6 people in the room to make the amount of money you have to pay decent. That's why its always good to go to small cons.

Psychotic Jei
04-24-2003, 04:41 AM
89 bucks isnt that bad! We're paying more for Ani-Magic this year. This makes me sad. But, oh well ^_^

Rinnie
04-24-2003, 02:18 PM
LOL! I was wondering if this would be appropriate to posts around.

soshi
04-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Psychotic Jei
89 bucks isnt that bad! We're paying more for Ani-Magic this year. This makes me sad. But, oh well ^_^

seriously!! when did Ani-magic get so friggin expensive?! X_____x;;

but AX does have the highest ticket prices. anyone who doesn't prereg and wants to go all days is going to end up paying out the nose. x____x;;

Miyu
04-24-2003, 10:05 PM
this situation = fucked up.

props to mike for speaking up about it, but regardless someone would've eventually even if he hadn't. When you pull serious shit like that it's eventually going to come out.

final testament
04-24-2003, 10:21 PM
You know what, I can actually say my piece here too because, I worked my ass off as staff last year too so, here it goes......

It didn't bother me much that I did so much at the con last year. I think that is because I was completely oblivious to what was (allegedly) happening within the higher-ups. If I would've known that I was just (in a sense) used as slave labor to make senior staff richer....I would've made it public myself or something. If this is in fact true (which more than likely is in my opinion) then those people in question definately need to be ousted. (if not prosecuted.) I know some of what they did was illegal in some way, shape or form. But whatever!

Something must be done if in fact it is true!!

Psychotic Jei
04-25-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by soshi
seriously!! when did Ani-magic get so friggin expensive?! X_____x;;

but AX does have the highest ticket prices. anyone who doesn't prereg and wants to go all days is going to end up paying out the nose. x____x;;

Y-con wins for most expensive. @_@ 179 buck hotel...60 buck reg at the door....

soshi
04-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Psychotic Jei
Y-con wins for most expensive. @_@ 179 buck hotel...60 buck reg at the door....

aahh, I don't consider Yaoi-con an anime con, tho, since it's so selective with subjects and attendees.

but they, this is off topic. XD; *runs away*

Psychotic Jei
04-25-2003, 06:50 PM
^___^ Yes, that it is. This whole issue for me is kinda sideburner. I just go to talk to people and hang out. So..all th drama may be kept at 20 feet distance. =o