PDA

View Full Version : my apartment!

Ayaka
08-24-2002, 02:39 AM
Wow . . . I actually get to say that now! I was gone this while (not that long, I guess, but felt like it) scouring Chicagoland for a place to live. It was hard, never done this before, so much to consider, and very unhelpful agents . . . I hope I made the right choice.

But, anyway, I don't have the keys in hand; they have my application, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't go through. It has a fantastic view of Lake Michigan, the building is vintage (20s), original plaster and all, but kept up well. It's on the street that runs along Lincoln Park, for anyone who knows Chicago. So out my windows are the treetops of the park, and then the lake. ^^ It's expensive . . . but it's big. Though, I have been warned that since it's nearly directly next to the Lincoln Park Zoo, that you DO hear the animals with the windows open in the morning; howler monkeys, apparently. lol. XD

Heheh, this is a silly post, but . . . I don't have a car, so this is the biggest purchase decision I've ever made. So it seems like I should celebrate! *gives everyone cake*

Ukayoru no Chou
08-24-2002, 04:17 AM
Go Ayaka!!! Im so proud of you :: sniffle sniffle:: heheh ^^;

HOWLER MONKEYS! UNITE!! :: watches her wake up, forget and start trippin:: ...

" planet of the apes...whhhaaa? >_O; "

Tenjou
08-24-2002, 10:01 AM
Yay! ^_^ Good job! I'm glad you have a place you really like. ^_^

Yggdrasil Pie
08-24-2002, 01:19 PM
Waii!! Yay!!! That's great! It seems like a good place to live, and with the howler monkeys...you don't need an alarm clock anymore...^^

Ayaka
08-24-2002, 01:53 PM
lol that's right, no alarm clock! If they're really loud, I'll record it and post it here, heheh. Thanks everybody. ^^

Ranma Saotome
08-25-2002, 11:49 PM
*sleeps in Ayaka's bed*

Rosiel
08-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Oh wow that sounds lovely! You have to take pictures of it and show us! I wish I could afford an apartment in an equivalent spot down here...

(But considering the crazy amount of money I spend for my current apartment... I'd rather not hit the $2000+ a month this would cost. LOL.)

Lucky!!!!

engrish
08-26-2002, 11:35 AM
"I'd rather not hit the $2000+ a month this would cost. LOL"

let me guess Rosiel you must live in the "Bay Area" in Cali. There's only 2 places that I know in the US where a single bedroom apartment could cost that much and be considered "normal"
1. Bay Area
2. New York city

Actually that's not quite right. Not all of the Bay Area is that expensive it's mainly the SF and Silicon Valley area. Ohhh and Manhatten is pretty high up there too.

As for Ayaka's new apartment congratulations, but remember it's not a done deal until the keys are in your hand.

peacecraft
08-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Actually, Boston is about that steep in price too, and Los Angeles comes close. Luckily, I got out of the Los Angeles Rent spiral in June by buying a place of my own.

Sami
08-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Boston is quite expensive, yes. x_x Before we moved to Maryland my boyfriend and I peeked around apartment prices.. eek. About the equivalent of my first-born child.. @_@

Our apartment is a little pricey, but it's nice. :D It has a fireplace, and everyone loves fireplaces!

I too, would like to see pictures of Ayaka's new place. And of the howler monkeys. XD!

Rosiel
08-26-2002, 12:30 PM
> let me guess Rosiel you must live in the "Bay Area" in Cali.

No, actually, I live in Metro DC area... which, if you live in the posh neighbourhoods, is horribly pricey. >__<;;;;;

Ayaka
08-26-2002, 02:02 PM
I'm under $2000 a month, Rosiel. ^^ But it's not a one-bedroom, it's a large studio. It does, however, have enough closet space that if you put it together, you would HAVE a bedroom. (Lotsa space for the costumes, right? Not that I said anything of the kind to my folks.)

My brother lives in Manhattan, and believe me, he is going to cry when he sees my place. He's paying more for a two bedroom (has a room mate); technically his rent is lower, what with the roommate, but it's a sixth floor walkup. It's two blocks from the Park, but there's a big WALL there lol. SoHa isn't exactly hip, either, lol. The second bedroom is like a closet . . . and the floors are REALLY uneven . . . (freaks me out!) and for some reason there are no drawers in the kitchen.

I'll take some pics as soon as I get in . . . and yeah, I know it's not a done deal . . . but I should still have some options even if it isn't.

Rosiel
08-26-2002, 02:13 PM
> It does, however, have enough closet space

Lucky you. I used to be in a studio with big closet space, moved into a one bedroom and now I have NO space. I own enough clothes (not counting costumes) to start my own store LOL and I don't know where to put them all. I might need to put costumes in storage... instead of stacking boxes under my desk.

> My brother lives in Manhattan, and believe me, he is going to cry when he sees my place.

I probably will too when you show pics... My /junior/ one bedroom is just shy of $1400 and it has a lovely view of... a boulevard. Noisy as hell. But then blaring Rammstein drowns out the noise so I can deal. LOL The building is great though, and new, and it's almost right in downtown Bethesda... so it has its advantages.

But I'm still envious. LOL

Ayaka
08-26-2002, 08:44 PM
> I probably will too when you show pics... My /junior/ one bedroom is just shy of $1400 and it has a lovely view of... a boulevard. Noisy as hell. But then blaring Rammstein drowns out the noise so I can deal. LOL The building is great though, and new, and it's almost right in downtown Bethesda... so it has its advantages.

Chicago has winters from hell (wow, that's kinda contradictory, isn't it?), so maybe that will make you feel better, lol. The closer you are to the lake, the easier it is for "the hawk" to get its claws in you. But basically I just lucked out, the renter's market in Chicago is bad right now, people are offering all sorts of deals. And I think I know someone who listens to Rammstein . . .

KuroBara
08-27-2002, 12:03 AM
That sounds so nice! Good for you Ayaka. I can't wait to get out of my cinderblock prison and into a real house. Maybe I'll move off campus next year, after most of my friends graduate.