PDA

View Full Version : Major Wing promblem using hanger...

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-22-2003, 08:28 PM
I know everyone always puts a wing thread, but i just gotta ask!!!! [the other threads don't seem to help me much]. I tried using a hanger like some of the other threads say. I speant a painful hour unraveling the top and then i tried to get it into the shape i wished for it to be. Uh, that just wasn't happening. It was way too hard to do. The hanger just would not corroporate. When i finally got it to look somewhat like i wanted it to look....i tried to put the fabric on it and then i noticed the little lump where i had to tie the hanger together. Umm.....basically, i'm saying HELP!!! There has GOT to be a better way then those damn hangers! Everyone's like 'Use Hangers, Use Hangers.' Then i heard wire....umm......what the heck kind of wire? Where would i buy this wire?

katchoo
04-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Hi. ^_^ I bought my wire at JoAnn's Craft store and it is pretty thick. You want to make sure it's thick and not thin. um..I don't know where else other than maybe home Depot. Oh the wire was in the jewlery section.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Thanks....how would you go about attaching this fabric. On the Firefly-path site, it looks as it their fabric is thin and you can see through it and that it is attached 'inside' the wire frame....I knwo painting pantyhose, but when you overlap it, it will still be more semi-transparent then transparent.

megumibish
04-23-2003, 12:15 AM
My 2 cents. Okay you should consider looking for heavy duty wire. Basic gauge knowledge. The smaller the number the thicker the wire. Basic earring posts are 18 gauge. You should try for a 10 gauge wire that can be bought at Home Depot, Lowes and say any extreme hardware joint. I also recommend buying so decent sized vice grips to shape the way as such this is about the only way I know you can get sharps curves. A small sized one should do ya good. Now dealing with the fabric. I've heard of people painsakingly sewing the fabric to the wire frame, a nice slipstitch should be good with say nylon thread(the clear kind) or just really strong coordinating thread. If not that you could use fabric glue to glue the fabric to the wire frames. Can be a bit sticky but I know it should work. Get a good fabric glue. Something definitely waterproof and able to adhere to metals.. hot glue won't work either because it may just slide off the slippery metal. Well, then just take what ever fabric and temporary tack it in place and then go attack it with your glue. When it dries totally trim off the excess. I would recommend strengthing the bond with string thou' since I personally wouldn't just trust glue. (this coming from a person who used school white glue to assemble her yuna staff. lol...) about the "bump" thing I would suggest covering with something pretty after putting the fabric over it. Beads, maribou feathers just anything to camoflage the thing. Hope this helps.

Sarcasm-hime
04-23-2003, 03:42 PM
To everybody out there, *DO NOT USE COAT-HANGER WIRE!* As is evidenced above, it sucks. It's impossible to straighten and it's low-grade metal so if you bend it too much it will break. Go to your local hardware store and buy a coil of wire.

For my Windy (http://sarcasm.fanfic.org/windycosplay) wings, I made the shape out of galvanized wire and then sewed the silk to it. Yes, it was pretty time-consuming.

Alisa
04-23-2003, 05:38 PM
I used Solid Galvanized Wire 14 gauge which came in a 100 ft. roll for my wings. I bought them from Wal-mart in the home repair section.

Catatonic_Van
04-23-2003, 11:27 PM
Aluminum wire is easily bent and shaped with the hands. However if you bend it too much it will snap so you'll want to draw a paper template of the shape you want to bend it into first. You can order it at dickblick.com and some hardware stores have it in various gauges and also in a wire frame form which is ideal for paper maché.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-25-2003, 07:01 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their help! It was needed much!

Farfarello
04-30-2003, 03:50 PM
Hmm, mind If I steal this thread, so I don't have to make a new one. I'm making some bat like wings, so I could use some wire for it and the materiel thing... but hmm... still trying to figure out the harness type thing, how would I attack my wings to the straps, I'm still trying to figure that out.