PDA

View Full Version : Yue Wing Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RainbowSheltie
08-24-2002, 11:59 PM
Please, please,please, please give me any hints and tips and suggestions that will help me make HUGE Yue(Card Captor Sakura) wings without spending 100's of dollars!!!!! P.S. they are going to be taller than me and I Really am desperate for helpful suggestions to help me make wings for my Yue costume. :thumbsup:

Kusanagi
08-25-2002, 03:37 PM
How big, like this big?

RainbowSheltie
08-25-2002, 04:06 PM
My wings are going to be a little bit bigger than that, and feathery, I am about 5'4, and my wings need to extend above my head and down to just about 5 inches off the floor. Any ideas? Any money saving ideas? -RainbowSheltie17

Kusanagi
08-25-2002, 04:46 PM
BIGGER than that?

Understand I am 6'3" and am DWARFED by those wings.

RainbowSheltie
08-25-2002, 05:09 PM
Well, I have a hard time with measurements, and my wings aren't going to be too heavy, but they are going to be big, I just don't know how to make them. Plus, I'm also going for a cool wing effect for my Yue costume, so, I'm just trying to figure out something cool. -RainbowSheltie17

Ayaka
08-25-2002, 05:37 PM
I've heard that you can make wings with coat hangers/other wire, a stiff felt shape, and a LOT of hand sewing (well, or hot glue, I suppose). But feathers are very expensive, unless you bought in bulk you might well run the cost of retail or custom wings making your own. You might want to try asking a place that makes custom wings for a quote on the size you want, before you rule it out as too expensive (especially cause I'm sure they'd be super nice).

You could always try what the Yue I saw at AX did - http://www.exitrance.com/exitrance/vigilante/images/ax2002/thurs_ccs.jpg
I believe that's all just felt, it looked fine though. You could add some feathers to the stiff felt, just not as many as you would otherwise, run a boa along the top or something . . . could look good. Hmm, maybe I'll think of something more useful later . . .

RainbowSheltie
08-25-2002, 05:52 PM
hmmmm... That is a good idea, but I was looking for something a little more realistic. Not nessecarly all made of feathers, but, somthing cool, unique, umm.... Your right, feathers are probally too expensie, but, what if I made the wings out of a substitue materials, but looking just as cool as real wings? Think that would be less expensie? What would I use? -RainbowSheltie17

Ayaka
08-25-2002, 05:58 PM
You know, I've seen this . . . err . . . it's a formal fabric, mostly see-through, very drapy and with a bit of shine to it. You might try making feathers out of overlapping layers of a fabric like that, I think it would look interesting. Just cut feather like shapes out of it, they don't have to be individual, you could cut the end of a strip of fabric that way. (You know what I mean?) But you'd still have to give it structure, so again, I'd suggest a stiff felt form. You could sew it to the felt easily, so no glue or handsewing involved. You might be able to get a fabric like that that doesn't ravel, make sure to check that because otherwise you'll have to hem all of the little "feathers". Err, well, just a suggestion.

HaloNoir
08-25-2002, 08:40 PM
You can buy a pound of 5" long white turkey feathers for $25 here: http://www.gatormall.com/ahb.wholesale.feathers.turkey.html#Turkey%20Flats% 20Feathers
(Item #AP-TFL1)
They say there are approximately 1000 feathers in a pound so I think one pound would be enough... you could just draw up a stiff cardboard form, break out the glue gun, and starting at the bottom going up layer feathers till they are completely covered on both sides... shouldn't take too long and $50 in materials at most.

The other option which would probably be lighter would be to go with the fabric stretched over a wire frame as mentioned above, and then find an airbrush artist to do feathers on it.

shiroi_yukiko
08-25-2002, 10:19 PM
You can buy a pound of 5" long white turkey feathers for $25 here: http://www.gatormall.com/ahb.wholesale.feathers.turkey.html#Turkey%20Flats% 20Feathers
(Item #AP-TFL1)
They say there are approximately 1000 feathers in a pound so I think one pound would be enough...

I ordered feathers there for a Kamui (X) costumes one time. I made both wings with only one pound (they weren't huge, but still) and I still have quite a lot left over. (I think the ones I had were 12-14") Believe it or not the feathers can add alot of weight to the wings, so do keep that in mind if you take this route.

Here's a pic, but it's on Geocities right now, so one must mess around with it to get it to load...
http://www.geocities.com/shiroi_yukiko/ingenue/featheredwings_back.jpg

RainbowSheltie
08-26-2002, 12:36 AM
So, what would you think if for one of my materials, I used a fake rabbit fur or something like it for a base wing material? If I did use that kind of material, what else would go with it?
-RainbowSheltie17

RainbowSheltie
08-26-2002, 12:46 AM
I also thought of something, if I use a furry base for my wings, I though I could also use the sparkly see-through fabric to drap over the back of my wings, and part of the frount. But, what else could I use to enhance my Yue wings? Any ideas would help.
-RainbowSheltie17

Scoti
08-26-2002, 11:45 PM
have you thought of a "fan" design? I saw one guy do it at anime north where the wings were like fans that can open and close at will. I would be easier to walk around in when your not getiing pics taken or in the Masquerade
http://www.animecafe.net/conventions/animenorth/2002/img_0520.jpg

Ayaka
08-27-2002, 12:06 AM
I have to reply to that pic - WOW. And my friends said nothing interesting happened at AN (well, they have different taste than me lol). Really not sure how he did those wings, though I'd like to know, cause it's pretty awesome. Also - Scoti - you like Zenki?!! XD

RainbowSheltie
08-27-2002, 01:53 AM
hmmmmm..... I'm not sure. I decided that I really don't want the wings bigger than me, and, don't get me wrong, those wings are really cool, but, I was looking for something a little more origional, something... different. Any ideas? I hope I'm not being difficult.
-RainbowSheltie17

Scoti
08-27-2002, 09:50 AM
er..wings are wings I'm not sure how original you can make them..I did see someone make them out sheets of aluminum but for some reason it didn't look right..
Ayaka- what's wrong with Zenki?! =P

Ayaka
08-27-2002, 06:04 PM
Nothing's wrong with Zenki! I love that show!

RainbowSheltie
08-27-2002, 06:18 PM
Eh.. your right. I still have a while to go, but, mabey I'll think of something just right later. I mean, if you have any ideas, that's great, but... I'm still not sure what their going to look Like. All I'm saying is, they'll hopefully come out right in the end. Still out of cool, creative ideas though.
-RainbowSheltie17