PDA

View Full Version : ^^ Dynasty warriors outfit (Help needed)

!=Aerieth=!
05-26-2007, 10:01 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c148/KuraiKarei/XiaoQiao.jpg

^^ Im thinking of trying to make XiaoQiaos outfit, its gonna be my first cosplay and my first time at making an outfit XD ^^ and sadly >.> I havnt learnt how to sew yet O.O so ^^ um can you guys give me some suggestions?

Melanie
05-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Dynasty Warriors' costumes are incredibly time-consuming, so my first piece of advice would be to allow yourself several months to make the costume.

Second, you're going to need Chinese brocade! DW looks tacky in cheap satin, so please please please pay the extra for brocade and have something REALLY beautiful.

You've picked one of her easiest versions, so that's good. :bigtu: I think it would be best if you checked out your local fabric store's pattern books, and collected up a few Chinese-style patterns and try them out to get a feel for the style and lines you're going to be dealing with.

And most importantly of all - buy a Shin Sangoku Musou Data Book! It is an invaluable resource for cosplayers.

Dynasty Warriors thread - http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=12322 (there are a few Xiao Qiao cosplayers there, who may be able to offer you some advice :))

!=Aerieth=!
05-26-2007, 10:21 AM
^o^ Thank you ^^ i am gonna go out tomorrow and look around two of the fabric stores in town o.o sadly there isnt many and i dont think they are verry good from what i can remember ^^ but ill try!!

The Hag
05-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Folkwear has some nice patterns for Chinese clothes (just google). For online sewing references, www.taunton.com is very helpful. Also, if you get stuck, just type "How do I (baste a seam, do a blind hem, use interfacing - whatever)" into google and there are generally a half dozen tutorials. Check to see if there are any discount fabric stores in your area. Not only are they cheaper, but often things are discounted because they are an odd color or an unusual print/fabric and therefore perfect for costumes. Buy more fabric than you think you will need for the costume, because you will probably make mistakes (we all do!) I also recommend cutting out and working on the bigger pieces first, because if you do make a mistake by cutting it the wrong size or shape, you may be able to cut your smaller pieces from the mistake and it's not a total waste. Thrift shops are also excellent for finding cheap clothes with trims, buttons, beads, etc. that can be re-purposed. Btw - brocade frays like a ... well, it frays - so after you cut out the pieces overlock or zigzag stitch the raw edges before sewing the seams. Good luck!

!=Aerieth=!
05-26-2007, 05:49 PM
^^ thaaank you ^-^ ill try my hardest xD it will probs end up sucking though xD