PDA

View Full Version : Mm... hair.

EKYO
04-25-2003, 01:46 AM
We all know that JRockers have amazing, almost gravity defying hair.... I've been wondering how to do Kyo's fluffy, poofy hair... you know, how he has it up, but it doesn't look stiff or, uhm, crispy? I've gotten my hair to go up somewhat like that by putting in lot's of mousse in my hair, letting it dry and stuff, then taking strands and spraying them with hairspray and combing them 'backwards' (go down from tips to roots), and that seems to work pretty well, but it's tiring and I need help to do it. ^^; Is there any other way to do that? Any other JRocker hair tips and suggested hairstyling stuff brands areappreciated!

accelagirl
04-25-2003, 10:05 AM
taught by a hairstylist of a jrock band, puaha~ (not me. ._.)

materials:
can of hairspray (get good stuff, megahold type stuff)
gel (again, need really good gel, like things that say "cement")
blowdryer
water (perferably in a spray bottle)
comb (not too small of a space between the teeth though)
brush (not a dense brush, make sure the teeth have space)

begin by getting your hair slightly wet (water spray bottle works) then work the gel into your hair in sections (imagine that you're trying to make those single solide thick spikes first). take one strand, work the gel from bottom up, blowdry, spray, blowdry (repeat this until it stays up), then do this for all of your strands of hair (really try to work the spikes out evenly, this takes a LOT of practice). now go to a strand, hold the tip with your fingers and comb it bottom up~ then hairspray it, brush it up, spray it with water, then blowdry. do this to every strand, make everything even. it will seem really REALLY nasty at the roots of all the hair (because many times it'll get chunked together) but you get used to it.

by practicing, you'll learn when you need to spray, when you need to gel and when you need to blowdry. it takes a while to make it look professional.

be prepared to take an hour or so (or even longer if you're doing it for the first time) and be REALLY prepared to use up most of the spray and gel too @_@.

EDIT: i forgot to say, your hair can't really be much longer than a certain length, to do this. there is a point where gravity does take over. but to tackle longer hair, more gelling and blowdrying will be needed. don't blowdry at too high a level or else it'll push the hair back down before it gets a chance to dry.

RyuichiNG
04-25-2003, 01:53 PM
Well, I had to do that for a costume once... I used this stuff called hair wax. It's kinda like gel, cept it's in a spray can and you spray it in on slightly damp hair, then blow dry it, and then shape it. It makes it look fluffy. It worked on my hair, of course I do have REALLY thick hair...

You may want to give that a try.

domestik
04-26-2003, 03:22 PM
*blinks* Well... what I do/use is:

-comb
-hairspray

And that's it. ^^;

What I usually do for my own Kyo hair is tease the bleedin' hell outta everything.

I would start with separating clumps of hair, teasing it at the roots and making my way upwards to the tips. Holding the hair at a certain angle--the angle of which I would like the hair to go to.

It's also wise to spray at the roots because spraying at the top/tips can weight down your hair and make it flop back down. To hold the overall shape at the tips, spray lightly from a distance.

And depending if my hair will cooperate with me, it usually ends up like this:

http://bloodberry.org/hrs/cosplay/kyo/macabre01.jpg
http://bloodberry.org/hrs/cosplay/kyo/macabre02.jpg

I don't know if this actually helped or not but maybe it can help for another outfit of yours one day?.... ^^;;... *waddles off*

RichAyanami
04-30-2003, 06:43 PM
domestik, that's actually pretty good..lol

EKYO, I'm boy-jrock cosplayer so I don't have extremely long hair to do this with... I do what accelagirl said basically with Rave4x spray. I get everything in place and dry, though at this point I could still potentially injure myself on a clump of hair. So then I carefully break the clumps until I'm not Kyo a la porcupine... The hair by now should* stay where it was and still be fluffy.

I don't know how this will work on that length hair though. (actually the thought of using my hairspray on a girl intrigues me, but it's a dr. frankenstein kind of intrigue...XD)

EKYO
05-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone! :D I'll be sure to try these. ^^

yukarikudou
05-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Hm, on a slightly different but still on-topic note-
Does anyone know how to get semi-straight Western-type hair to be all nice and flat and shiny/smooth/etc. like Asian hair? I've heard that Asian people chemically relax their hair to get it even more straight (read: Shinya, Totchi), but I have no idea how that will turn out on my kind of hair. Plus I don't want to *absolutely* fry my hair. If anyone has any tips... *begs*
-yk

Manaroni
05-14-2003, 03:57 AM
i am thinking of cosplaying shaisuke (http://www.geocities.com/filthland/othersgallery_baiser4e.jpg)(<...click for picture) and the only problem i have is the hair. can i use the steps accelagirl mentioned up above to do this??

manaroni

Koumori
05-14-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by yukarikudou
Hm, on a slightly different but still on-topic note-
Does anyone know how to get semi-straight Western-type hair to be all nice and flat and shiny/smooth/etc. like Asian hair? I've heard that Asian people chemically relax their hair to get it even more straight (read: Shinya, Totchi), but I have no idea how that will turn out on my kind of hair. Plus I don't want to *absolutely* fry my hair. If anyone has any tips... *begs*
-yk

Try using an iron.. no, really. Either the plain old flat kind if your hair is very long, or a crimping/straightening iron that comes with flat plates.

yukarikudou
05-15-2003, 05:44 PM
I've always wondered about the iron thing... is it *actually* taking an iron to your hair? The kind you iron clothes with? *naive and confused about hair-irons*
-yk

Koumori
05-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by yukarikudou
I've always wondered about the iron thing... is it *actually* taking an iron to your hair? The kind you iron clothes with? *naive and confused about hair-irons*
-yk

Yes, you can use one of those if you don't mind laying your head flat on an ironing board for as long as it takes. The crimping/straightening iron is probably an easier way to go.

Angel Kat III
05-15-2003, 11:08 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T USE AN ACTUAL IORN! it is actually really bad for your hair and you can REALLY hurt yourself. I get my hair chemicly straitened and it looks great, even though I have dyed my hair a lot. If you decide to do this it costs about $50.00 (I get mine for half price because I have an undercut), and if you think your hair is 'frizzy' style it when it is wet (with jell and hairspray) and let it air dry (I don't recomend blow drying your hair.... ever...).

if you want more information just PM me.
~Angel kat III

Chosuke
05-16-2003, 06:59 AM
I ALWAYS Use hair cream/wax

I find Gel is way to crispy/crusty/disgusting and cannot handle it in my hair. I picked up a small little container of this hair wax/smoothy for about 40$ bucks at my local salon donato last year and I STILL have a quarter of it left. All you need is a tiny bit on your fingers,rub it in and voila. Its says,no narsty shine..no sick matte. Just looks natural and sleek.

The only problem I ever had with it is that if you don't rub it into your fingers properly it *can* go on in whitish streaks that only go out with water.

My new hairstyle <you can see a crappy pic of it in my gallery :X> I style with about... two finger tips of hair smoothy and it stays allllll day xD ala anti gravity tidus hair

noahthesnake
07-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I use a straight iron. I have REALLY curly/frizzy hair and chemical straighteners didn't work on it. It made it straighter, but the frizz was still there. So I bought a really good ceramic straight iron and it fixed it very nicely.

And I'll have to try those hair tips. I'm going to be Kyo for a convention. Not the entire time. Just the half a day when I leave so I don't put on my outfit for a half a day. (It's really hard to get on.)

Nevturiel
07-29-2006, 02:03 AM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T USE AN ACTUAL IORN! it is actually really bad for your hair and you can REALLY hurt yourself.

Well, yeah, if you're careless and/or you put the iron directly on your hair. In the '60s girls used to do this all the time. Or maybe it was the '70s. I forget. Anway, what a girl would do was lay her head on the ironing board so that the hair was flat (like when you iron a shirt, think of it that way), then she'd cover it with a slightly damp towel, and iron her hair - on a pretty low setting, of course.

But, why bother with all of that when you can find fairly cheap straightening irons at places like Wal-Mart? So much easier and not nearly as damaging . . . though they will damage your hair if used too frequently.

Totchikun
07-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Just a warning. I always chemically straighten my hair with store bought relaxers. The problem with it is, since the chemicals destroy your hair so much you usually can't touch it with any other kind of dye for a long time, and if you have recently dyed your hair it'll make your hair fall out, not completely but 2 and a half inches of mine is gone everytime I use it. Straightening irons work fairly well but sometimes for peple with medium ish short hair you can't get all of it and getting roots sucks. So basically I recommend finding a VERY good hair salon thing and getting it professionally relaxed. Afterwards if they offer it, have them do a treatment to fix your hair as much as possible. I also recommend going to Aveda ^ ^! But having everything done professionally is definantly expensive.

yugidogz
07-29-2006, 12:46 PM
*Is flat-ironing hair* I use a flat-iron, but I need a new one; I've had this one for over 2 years (my mom bought it for my little sister for her birthday, and I kinda "stole" it, lol). Do the smaller-plated irons work better though? Or the BIG ones? My sister told me that a friend has hair like mine (very wavy and crazy), but when she uses the smaller iron, it works wonders. Any suggestions?

Also, could I get more info on this chemical straightening? Thanks <3

Miharu Haruko
08-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Oh my..Chemical relaxing sounds kinda..bad for your hair... But I suppose if it's done right, and not too often, it should be fine. Hey, I think I may try it. For now I have to use the flat-iron and it takes...too long. x.x'

@yugi::Umm, I'm not sure, but I think with a smaller plate you can get more control when you're working with it. It's just like using a bigger brush vs smaller brush (paintbrush, I mean!). It depends on whether you just want to cover more area, or control it as best as you can. But that's just my opinion. *shrug*

TiNHC.
08-14-2006, 05:19 AM
just wear a wig lol xD