PDA

View Full Version : How can I learn Parapara?

StacyMichelle
08-26-2002, 12:07 AM
I missed Parapara dancing at Otakon 02. Does anyone know of any websites that teach this dance? I'd like to learn more about it. It seems so popular!
Thanks! ^^

Stacy

Ayaka
08-26-2002, 03:43 AM
I want to know the answer to this too! I've tried doing some searches, but haven't come up with much . . .

BabySnowLeopard
08-26-2002, 04:10 AM
O______o
I have NO clue why they're trying to promote ParaPara in America *now*... after it's long dead, and everyone has "retired"! The machines were removed from the arcades ages ago... It's so passe now, you may have trouble finding anything (like, oh my god, that was SO last year! *giggles* j/k... tho it's true ^_^') I wish it had stayed around longer (I really liked it X_x still do) but ParaPara seems to have this weird cycle thing going on =P
There used to be this one really good site where you could download the videos... it's gone now tho X_x rar
try just doing a web search... that's what I used to do, it may turn up a few interesting sites (search for ParaPara or Para Para Paradise). Here are the official sites (tho they will not help you, they may be interesting)
http://www.avexnet.or.jp/eurobeat/paraparaallstars/index.htm
http://www.konami.co.jp/am/para/
and... iunno... maybe try to find some ppl in your area, or who go to the same cons you do, who know it, and can teach you? O.O' Good luck.... it's a lot of fun.

~Kie

Michi
08-26-2002, 04:56 AM
They're probably promoting it now to try and find a new home for it in America.

Or something weird like that. :P

I gave up on trying to learn the dances. I do silly freestyle at the arcade with my friends and it's fun enough. Oh well. *^^*

Sami
08-26-2002, 11:57 AM
VOE Online - http://www.voe.com - is where I ordered my ParaParaMax VCD (which were the songs performed at Otakon) for... $13-ish? I ordered it a few days ago and am still waiting for it to come in. ^_^ If you go to the J-pop CD's and VCD's you can find ParaPara Panic, PPParadise, and PPMax too. ^_^ I was surprised at their ParaPara selection!

mandichan
08-26-2002, 01:10 PM
The problem with the para para max VCD is that there is no way to put it on "mirror" mode or whatever, so that its easier to copy the dancers.... I keep trying to learn from it and end up doing everything backwards T_T

The DVD probably has that option though.... T_T

Ali-kun
08-26-2002, 03:40 PM
yesasia.com is also a good place to order VCDs from...well, I talked to one guy who thought they were HORRID because they screwed up his order and such, but I've purchased VCDs from them twice and had no problems - everything arrived quickly, good quality, excactly what I'd ordered. Well, except the ghetto Malasian bootleg of Para Para Stadium - that was a total surprise, it was stuck into the box with some other parapara video collection *L* We got the REAL PPS from getvcds.com.

As for what Kie says...well...it's not TOTALLY dead like you seem to think it is, because people are still doing it ;P So just because it's not 'in' anymore in Japan doesn't mean it's dead. Well, and it's not 'in' in SoCal either, but that's because SoCal pretty much IS Japan...except American ^_~

I have problems with un-mirrored stuff too...so what I did was downloaded a program that can mirror files (I use VirtualDub) and rip the video files from the MPEGAV folder of the VCD onto my computer and mirror them with VD. My newest project is ripping, mirroring, and returning to VCD - I've done Para Para Paradise 7, and while I lost a bit of quality because I had to re-encode the .mpgs, it looks really cool XD I even got the original menu back!

For links, you can visit NeoParaPara ( http://para.neoki.net/ ) - they have a media section with many songs from the arcade game. You can download many videos from Para Para Paradise 5, 6, and 7 at http://www.distortedecho.com/mel/ppp/ but the server is occasionally very slow. Kinda hit-and-miss. But I believe all the files you can get there are already mirrored (although since I already own PPP7, I haven't downloaded any of the videos posted there to find out if I'm lying or not ^^)

I am so evil and bad and stuff...I have been supporting bootlegs by burning CDs of mirrored parapara videos for my friends ;_; We~ell, yanno...even if -they- were not totally poor and could buy the VCDs, some of them are more computer illiterate than me and would not be able to mirror the files on their own ^^;;

Kusanagi
08-26-2002, 04:12 PM
I take it this ParaPara is similar to Dance Dance Revolution?

RealizeDOP
08-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Kusanagi
I take it this ParaPara is similar to Dance Dance Revolution?

Ummm.....If you are talking abotu Para Para Paradise, the game....kind of but not really... ^^ It's a game you play with your hands (sometimes with your feet when you do routines) where you wave them over sensors. Para Para Dancing is just kind of like Line dancing to Euro beat Music ^.^ It's quite addicting heehee : ) Requires lots of practice if you want to memorize routines and stuff~~~ I think It's been pretty dead in the west coast~ but it's just catching on the East Coast~ : )

Kusanagi
08-26-2002, 06:08 PM
Oh! I saw one of those in Vegas...

Ali-kun
08-26-2002, 07:15 PM
*nods* Yah, parapara itself is really not that similar to DDR because the DANCE form is very strictly choreographed, whereas with DDR, as long as you hit the arrows, you did it right, no matter what foot (or other body part *L*) you used to hit the arrow with.

However, in the arcade game of Para Para Paradise by Konami, it's like RealizeDOP said - you have sensors that you have to trigger with your hands (actually in the arcade you wave your hands UNDER the sensors, which is a whole lot safer for the machine because I've seen a LOT of little kids stomping on those flashing lights around the edge of the platform *L*)

So you have the purists like me who play in parapara mode where the arrows correspond with the hand motions in the choreographed routine for the song, and a freestyle mode that really IS more like DDR, because it's just got a bunch of arrows that people flail about wildly trying to hit. Rude PPP players are frowned upon - the kind of people who think your dance is less challenging because it has fewer arrows in parapara mode, when in fact you have to MEMORIZE the whole dance.

It's a whole lot of fun if you have multiple people all around the arcade machine doing the parapara routines...we draw crowds in Cyber Zone sometimes XD
Plus being at an arcade with dance games and flashing lights makes some people feel slightly less uncomfortable doing parapara than, say, out in a park with a boom box or something. But me...my friend and I would go out during lunch at school and do it ^^;

You don't -need- the arcade game to dance parapara - it just gives you a really good excuse XD

Nadeshiko
08-26-2002, 10:02 PM
ParaParaStage.com

Go to Multimedia, and take it from there.

BabySnowLeopard
08-26-2002, 11:40 PM
You guys are frikkin slow!! ...j/k XD XD XD XD XD LOL!!
Carolina! Do they still have machines over there?? *_*
Yeah, it's dead here. The only ppl who still do it are the hardcore paralists who have all the videos. I stopped practicing... cuz there was just no point =P

OMG thank you Victoria!! An actual good ENGLISH ParaPara site *deletes all her obsolete bookmarks and replaces them*

Ya know, I really do hope this catches on again. =P Maybe it'll pull my friends out of retirement XD

~Kie

Ali-kun
08-27-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by BabySnowLeopard
Ya know, I really do hope this catches on again. =P Maybe it'll pull my friends out of retirement XD

~Kie

I am highly amused by your use of the word "retirement"
...yeah, that was short and pointless XD

BabySnowLeopard
08-28-2002, 05:54 PM
XDDDDDDDDDDD
Hey it's not me, they're the ones who said that! XD

~Kie