PDA

View Full Version : Wig caps and care

Yuna
04-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Just something which is like nails on a chalk board to me, so I feel the need to rant. And it's accually cosplay related =D

Okay people, I want you all to know, wig caps are your friend!! New concept to some of you

=D Also, you can by the great stuff called wig conditioner which makes your wig looks nice and lets you brush through even the longest wigs! Come on, wigs looking like the survived hurricane Andrew are not as stylish as you think...

RoseDuelist
04-25-2003, 02:04 PM
*sniffle* I'm going out to buy a wig in a week or two.. *sniffle* Me scared now.. lol..

Yuna
04-25-2003, 02:27 PM
As long as it's not a crumple mass of hair you have nothing to worry about! =D A great costume with a shitty wig will totally ruin the entire costume, no matter how great the costume may be.

FlameSniperRei
04-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Yeah I am shocked at how many people don't use wig caps. They keep all of your hair from sticking out and also makes it hard for wigs to fall off your head.

Kurenai
04-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Hmmm.....I put my hair in like 6-8 braids and pin them up on my head (and come out looking like heidi o.o)...so I've never really used a wig cap. It might come in handy to keep the bobby pins from sticking all over the place O.o but then again pantyhose works just as well as a temp wig cap.

JoeBoeing
04-25-2003, 06:01 PM
I have short hair so I really don't need a wig cap... I understand if you have shoulder length of longer but with my Ramus cut I just don't need one.

From,
Joe

Karisu-sama
04-25-2003, 06:27 PM
I depend on wig caps, AND bobby pins. I HATE when wigs try to slide off, especially since I like to DANCE with wigs on. (And I don't dance mildly!)

You can also get a wig band too - i believe this is a kind of rubberized headband thing.

Tenshi
04-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Wig caps are a good thing. So are bobby pins. I found THAT out the hard way last year at AX -- my Aeka wig fell off, right in front of the Tenchi Muyo producer ;_;. I was so embarassed!

Koumori
04-25-2003, 09:43 PM
Wig caps are great even if your hair is short. They give you something to pin your wig into, and they keep any stray wispies from peeking out under the edge.

L to the 3rd
04-25-2003, 09:53 PM
ummm it's easier to clean a wig cap
then constanly washing a wig..right?

after you're done w/ it, just toss it
into the washing machine like a sock
and it keeps your wig from getting
dirty from hair oils n' stuff.

Genki_Usagi
04-25-2003, 09:58 PM
HAHAHA, Gina remember AX last year? you forgot 1) a wig cap and 2) bobby pins XD. It was like a mad rush to get all your hair in the wig like, 5 seconds before we went on XD

L to the 3rd
04-25-2003, 10:37 PM
cuz you guys always never have
wig caps and we let sj members
'borrow' them and almost
never get em back . :p

Karisu-sama
04-26-2003, 04:25 AM
Wig caps lose their stretch after a while, too, so it's good to have loads of spare. For different wigs, I special-order them in light, dark and grey. ^___^

Psychotic Jei
04-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Jei has really short hair ^_^ So, I never really thought about it. ^^; But I do have wig conditioner and stuff.

Miaka No Baka
04-27-2003, 12:49 AM
I hate wig caps. Either it's me or the ones i buy but like they tend to slide backwards off my head after a while, no matter if I'm wearing a normal straight wig of any length or if it's got something like a ponytail or buns. I do have to agree yes it does help keep those stray hairs from peeking out. Sometimes even if I do get stray hairs (mine usually are right by my ear for some reason) I always seem to get lucky enough for them to be well covered by the wig ^_^;

But yeah about the wig cap slipping backwards, am I like doing something wrong here? I pull it good and tight over my head but no matter what it tends to wanna fall backwards.

Miaka no Baka

Scrapps
04-27-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Miaka No Baka
But yeah about the wig cap slipping backwards, am I like doing something wrong here? I pull it good and tight over my head but no matter what it tends to wanna fall backwards.

Miaka no Baka

Oooh..I have that problem too, I always thought it was because I had a big head. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! (Wig caps slipping backwards, not the big head thing)

What are we doing wrong?

Scrapps desu

Karisu-sama
04-27-2003, 02:47 AM
I find if they tend to slip it's because they are not tight enough - then I tie a knot in the edge so it's REALLY tight.

Mekou
04-27-2003, 03:26 AM
I'm afriad of my wig falling off so when I'm wearing it I avoid fast movement, jumping, etc. ^__^ Although when my hair is all pinned up I have a hard time getting it OFF. O.o And I'm worried about it falling off? XD lol

I dislike how I look in wigs....>_>.

Genki_Usagi
04-27-2003, 03:30 AM
LOLLLL, yeah Chrissy, that is WAY true. Love you guys *sniff*

Koumori
04-27-2003, 09:06 AM
I do pin curls, then put on a wig cap, then pin the wig all over with the U-shaped hairpins. That way the wig gets pinned through the cap and secured to my regular hair (the pin curls give it something to hold onto) so that I can wear topheavy or back-heavy wigs without any problems with sliding.

Miaka No Baka
04-27-2003, 12:05 PM
yeah karisu the funny thing is, it's already pretty tight. I think it might be cause I got a big head ;_; it reminds me of when you try and fit something too small on something either it'll pop right back off or rip or something. I have more luck pinning the wig to my hair and I just slick back all of my hair with water and I rarely have problems with it that way ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

Yuna
04-27-2003, 06:01 PM
As long as you don't have hair sticking all out over the place and down like sideburns, then there's no problem. You don't have that problem Miaka No Baka, so you shouldn't worry. And about tight wig caps... dear lordy sometimes they cut off the blood to the top of your head... that's the good stuff XD

Gothic_Lulu
04-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Wig Caps = Good

It is the only way I can wear a wig is with a wig cap....my hair is so thick and the only way I can get it together is with one....

Lol the tighter the better.....

soshi
04-27-2003, 10:18 PM
I have never been able to get a wig cap to stay on. x____X; altho I need to figure out how to use them reaaally soon, because my dark hair is sorta visable through my Sylia wig, eesh.

Miaka No Baka
04-27-2003, 11:11 PM
XD I'm glad it isn't noticable ^_^; *glares at her wigcap of doom* heh

soshi: if you can't get your wigcap to work with you try spraying your hair a color more closer to the wig. Like if you have a red wig and your hair is black try getting that spray hair color stuff and put your hair up if needed then spray it.

Miaka no Baka

Yuna
04-28-2003, 01:09 PM
More FFX Shiva cosplayers should do that: spray the font of their hair blue so should the HEAVY wig slip back a bit, it's no big deal.

Tribble
04-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, considering my first cosplay also coincided with my first wearing of a wig ever, the "wig-cap headlock" was a bit of a new sensation for me.
The problem I ran into with mine was that it kept curling at the end and falling around my neck when it was just supposed go down my back. Is there anything like a wig straightener or similar that i should invest in?

Karisu-sama
03-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Someone recommended trying a bathing cap instead of a wig cap to prevent slippage - I recommend NOT - you will have a very hot sweaty miserable head. >.< Like KaraokeKate mentioned, there are wig bands (like rubber bands) that can be used with (sometimes in place of) a wig cap to stop slippage.

On trick I have seen cosplayers do with very long / heavy wigs, if a slightly "layered" look is OK, is use a shorter wig on the head and attach the long heavy fall part to a costume neckline., so that the body is taking the weight.

How I keep a (regular nylon) wig cap on:

1) Tie a knot in the edge to make it tighter (I have thin, fine hair, so an average wig cap ends up fairly loose on me.)

2) Use 2 flat clips in the front to keep it from sliding back. Works pretty well.

Use hairpins to help hold the wig on as well, and you should be good to go.

Alanna-chan
03-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Can't I just braid my hair, put it up and use a bandana? I imagine it would absorb oils and sweat much better too.

Bobbi
03-03-2004, 09:52 AM
I've used some wig caps in the past that were so tight, it gave me the absolute worst headache imagineable. I mean, my head was throbbing. I have really thick hair, and at the time, it was really long too... I suppose you would want them to be tight and snug, but not uncomfortably tight. I ended up taking the wig cap off. Thankfully it was a long wig and covered anything that would've been sticking out. You might want to try wearing it for an hour or so to make sure it's not painfully tight.

Nothing is worse than having your con experience ruined by a massive migrane. ><;

Also good tip, if you put wig conditioner in it, do not brush it while it's wet! A horrible no-no would be to brush it from the top down, while wet. You get horrible frizzy looking ends, that would need to be clipped off. A friend of mine did this to several wigs she bought, she gave them to me in hopes I could use them, but they're so terrible looking. I think she stored them in a bag for 5 months.

Oh, and for the love of God, please use wig stands! Treat your wigs with care, if you want them to last. Just don't toss them in a random box somewhere. Wig stands are good, wig stands are your friend. ;)

zephy
03-03-2004, 11:25 AM
This is completely unrelated to the wig cap issue (yay for people who use wigcaps!) but how do you all store your wigs? particularly styled ones? I've found that just putting them in a bag leaves them rather frazzled and distressed looking. Do you leave them on a head and stick them somewhere? box them up? stick them in your roommates bed and freak them out ?

I am in a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 girls . I dont even have a closet for my clothes so there are no closets for me to store my wigs in . any suggestions would be great!

megumibish
03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
I find that using a hairband with teeth underneath the wig cap gives the cap something to be pinned down to and it holds well. Just don't get a super tight holding hairband. Your head is already gonna be squished by the wig and cap. Don't wanna add more to it. I also tend use knoted off queen sized knee highs for wig caps because they are tight and come cheap. =P I stretch them out on my foam head prior to wear.

Gren
03-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Zephy- for most of mine, they are put on their wig heads, long hair is very gently bound with ribbon, and then bag (it;s meant to be a trashbag for those really reaaly small wastebaskets) is tied over them. For ones with abnormal styles, like Sora (Rock hard spikes) He's on his wig head and being stored in a closet Inever use, to help guard him from dust. I have plans to build a box for him to fit in. No. Honestly. I'll get around to it... Really...

Ali
03-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I just got a new curly wig... which means I'll never be able to brush it... I've taken pretty good care of my wigs so far, but I'm not sure how to keep this one looking pretty.

Any thoughts/experience?

RoxieRocket
03-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Ack. I just did as well, and am wondering the same thing myself.

taryn
03-04-2004, 09:35 AM
I just bought a wig cap for $0.99. If you go to Sally's beauty supply they have them there. You get two in a package and they offer them in tan and black.

Another good way of keeping the wig in good condition if keeping it on a styrofoam head which you can also buy at Sally's for $2.99!

Where can I buy that wig conditioner? Sounds really useful!

Taryn :schitzo:

Umi
03-04-2004, 04:30 PM
You should be able to buy wig conditioner and wig hairspray anywhere they sell wigs or at least wig extensions. I buy them at my local wig store but I've seen them at other bigger beauty & hair supply stores. Best bet is to look for something local.

Ami Yuy
04-12-2004, 12:19 AM
I just bought a wig cap for $0.99. If you go to Sally's beauty supply they have them there. You get two in a package and they offer them in tan and black.

Another good way of keeping the wig in good condition if keeping it on a styrofoam head which you can also buy at Sally's for $2.99!

I just discovered a Sally's down by my school and I'm sooooo happy! I went in right away and bought two wigheads (I've got a Mercury bob wig that needed someplace to go other than the head of my big chicken...and a new Eowyn that needed a safe place...).

Now I have two questions:
1) Where do you put your wigheads that have long wigs on them? Do you let them hang or not? I want my Eowyn to hang, but the foam head falls over, so I've got it wedged in a drawer...

2) How DO you wear a wig cap? Put your hair up, put the wig cap on, pin the cap to your hair, put the wig on, pin the wig to the cap? So...how do you pin the wig to the cap?? I've never *correctly* worn a wig, so I have no idea about pinning...I've never pinned anything to my head ever. *is scared* I'm especially worried since it is such a heavy wig, I don't want it coming off. -_-

kerochan
04-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Wow this thread is pretty helpful!
I have a question how many times should you wear a wig cap before you decide to retire it? Each time I wear my wig cap and maybe I'm not putting it on my head right it ends up tearing some of the wig cap. Maybe I'm using the wrong pins on my hair? Should you wash your wig caps would that make them "shrink" back and not be all stretched out? Or should I just get some new wig caps? Also would it be a good idea to dye your wig caps? Like if you have a pink wig and your hair obviously isn't pink and the wig cap is tan?

Hanyaan
04-13-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure if anybody else has tried this, but the other day I decided to use an Ionic Hair Wand from The Sharper Image on my wig. It became MUCH softer, the tangles just vanished, and that musty plasticky wig smell vanished. XD And only about 10 hairs came off...FROM THE ENTIRE WIG. And it was an unshortened Enchantment from Amphigory.