PDA

View Full Version : "The True Story Behind Masquerade"

Lilli
04-26-2003, 03:10 AM
Just in case there was any lingering confusion,

http://www.animeboston.com/forums/ForumID5/136.html

Personally, I think he's shouldering far too much of the blame, which should be directed at -someone else- (guess who that person is...) But I'll be a good Lilli and mind my tongue. So ya, the con chair pretty much sums it all up in his post on the Anime Boston forums.

It's a remarkably fair (especially considering all the trouble he was put through) and unbiased explanation of what happened.

So yay yay, the con chair was super awesome, the dedicated staff and volunteers r0xx0r3d my b0xx0rz, and Scott and Darcy were both just so cute it made my entire weekend, and I had fun, despite whatever snags may have occurred.

hikura
04-26-2003, 09:15 AM
I read that post yesterday.I thought he explained what happened perfectly.I really thought he handled the experince with grace and the patience of a god.I really do not think the blame should be put in any one spot.It just happened that alot of things happened at once that made the sitution bad.I know from experince what goes on behind the scenes at cons.I have had to much experince to know sometimes things happen that are beyond the control of anyone.I have staffed my fair share of cons to know this.While my experince is at gaming cons mostly they are not much different then anime cons.But either way considering what happened he handled this with a great amount of "ease".As far as him slaughtering the words(japanese names) i do that all the time.I do not blame him.People should have not bugged him about this.

RichAyanami
04-26-2003, 07:12 PM
I actually had no idea that all this was going on. The only thing I was hearing was that masquerades needed all the help they could get that night, but then this wasn't the kind of snag that can be fixed with just more staff. But all in all I guess it was a learning experience. And if nothing else, I guess we can all blame it on the fact that it was a 'first year con'... ^_~

Lilli, you and the others did a wonderful job at the convention and certainly deserve a round of applause.

number18
04-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Again I say, very VERY unprofessional of Michi. I do not want to say bad things, but I can't believe somebody in charge of the masquerade, which can easily be called the top event of the convention, could be so immature and unprofessional. It seems like she agreed to head it just to say "I was in charge of this" and never realized the hard work that would go into such an event.

I never blamed any of you lovely ladies. It's apparent where the problem lay in the whole matter. And from reading more of the details of what happened, the masquerade came out amazingly well. Good job, Sakura Taisen ladies (is there a collective name I can call you by?). Good job to the staff that helped to put the pieces back together.

Maybe next year I will actually be allowed to enter...heh. With a skit even! ^___^;

Oh, and when you sign on to be staff, how do you know where you'll be put?

Lilli
04-26-2003, 10:00 PM
'Hizashigumi' :3

._. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it's called, teehee

Araaaaa *tired Lilli flop* ._.; I swear this jobs gonna kill me. *goes off to sleeep even tho it's Saturday night and it's only 10 p.m. but dangit I'm freakin tired T_T *

._.;; And wow, I thought I sent this reply like half an hour ago. *ZzzzzZZzzzzzzZZzzzz*

Something Lulu
04-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Awww. :( The con-chair is being a true leader and has my full respect, but I think he's taking on too much of the blame. It's hard to make the kind of decision he's blaming himself for not making. (i.e. taking someone out of power)

Oh well, despite everything that happened, it was still fun to participate in and I hope to enter next year's Masquerade. ^_^

Tribble
04-26-2003, 11:46 PM
Overall I'm impressed that they recovered so well after such an unforseen event. He's certainly taking far to much blame upon himself for something that was, by the time it got to him, out of his direct control. I felt bad for the poor guy as he was on stage doing his best to pronounce all the names and such, but I think he performed amazingly well under that kind of pressure, and he even was able to keep a sense of humor about it to an extent.
The voulunteers as well as Lily, Tristen, Haruka, Kimberly and Garret deserve a lot of credit for not buckling under that pressure either.

The entire situation with Michi was very unprofessional. I personally witnessed one of her smaller (in comparison to the other ones) blow ups in the voulenteer room on Friday, her rambling off something about how she was annoyed about how "certain people" thought they deserved attention just because they were cosplaying. The most amusing part of that story is that to her face *name* (dont want to draw more people into this), asked her what her what her definition of the word irony was, because obviously she had come in to rile people up in her full cosplay outfit, and wasnt having any luck. Everyone in the room got a little chuckle out of that one.

And next year I am definately going to try and get into the masquerade, hopefully I'll have my "special project" done by then, heh.

number18
04-27-2003, 02:34 PM
yes I heard of another event during the con that she had a fuss about...but nevermind her.

what is this secret project????

Tribble
04-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Well, if i tell you, it wont be a secret :p

heh, actually its a character design I came up with the other day that I want to turn into a cosplay for next year I hope. I say hope because I will have to teach myself how to sew and create props, among other things this summer to get it done right. I dont want to go half-assed on this guy. I may have a character sketch up sometime in the future once i perfect his form.

but I digress, heh, no thread hijak here :D . . . . :walkoff:

Sailor Naboo
04-27-2003, 06:26 PM
To me it also seems like perhaps the con chair is taking more responsibility than needed, but a statement like that is the definition of CLASS and INTEGRITY.

Bravo.

Avatrix
04-27-2003, 07:55 PM
From where my group was in the Green Room, we didn't have any idea that something had gone wrong, except for the fact that the wait was really long. We were busy practicing our lines though, so it wasn't really a worry for us. I applaud the Mr. Ferraro for letting us know what happened, and I think he takes more blame than is necessary. I have no doubts that Anime Boston 2004 will be a smashing success!

harukarose
04-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Ok, I have to say thank you to all you wonderful people in here... we tried our best, and hopefully next year will be as wonderful as we're all hoping. ^^
:bouncer:
I think the way Adam handled the situation was absolutly glowing, and I think it's the true mark of a professional that he didn't allow finger pointing and blaming to continue. That sort of thing doesn't get anyone anywhere. It's unproductive and unprofessional. I personally am greatly looking forward to seeing you all next year in the masqurade and in the halls! Thank you again for the support and the kind words... ^_^

Haruka Rose

harukarose
04-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Lilli
'Hizashigumi' :3

._. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it's called, teehee

Araaaaa *tired Lilli flop* ._.; I swear this jobs gonna kill me. *goes off to sleeep even tho it's Saturday night and it's only 10 p.m. but dangit I'm freakin tired T_T *

._.;; And wow, I thought I sent this reply like half an hour ago. *ZzzzzZZzzzzzzZZzzzz*

Hahaha... Lilli, don't work yourself to death!! *hugs* And yes, we're called Hizashigumi... ^_^

JacksUsername
04-29-2003, 09:02 AM
i agree with everyone that it was very professional and nice of the chair to come out with this statement, and I also agree that he's taking on too much blame for himself.

Things happen, but its just good that even the participants seemed to have a good time once everything was said and done, and that's probably the most important thing.

adferraro
04-29-2003, 03:31 PM
WOW!

I'm glad everyone has been so understanding, and I'm glad that everyone had such a great time as well, even with all the difficulties.

The fact that so few people seemed to realize there were difficulties is a testament to all the wonderful staff who pulled together at the last moment. A ConChair is only as good as the staff under him, and I was blessed with a lot of good ones.

I was also blessed with such understanding guests. Tristen, Haruka, Kimberly and Lilli are wonderful people and I can't thank them enough for all their help. Without their "crash course" in basic masquerade organization, things would have been a lot diffferent.

I also enjoyed their performance on-stage. They were wonderful.

:)

number18
04-29-2003, 04:34 PM
uh oh...you realize now, mr. ferraro, that since you have joined the cosplay.com forums, we will be harassing you to dress up for AB04, right?

mwuahahahhaaaa!!!

JacksUsername
04-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by number18
uh oh...you realize now, mr. ferraro, that since you have joined the cosplay.com forums, we will be harassing you to dress up for AB04, right?

mwuahahahhaaaa!!!

LOL indeed

the 2 mascots need another to make it complete! *applies peer pressure on Ferraro* cosplay!

TristenCitrine
04-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Yes, Thank you, Adam, for such a show of leadership. You really helped bring it all together and remained so cool under the pressure.

Yes, We are the Hizashigumi, meaning "Sunlight Troupe". We have a small site here while I rebuild Goldenquartz- http://www.infected-charm.net/hizashi/ Thank you to all of you who enjoyed our small performance. It was so much fun!

But, I digress. Thank you everyone for being paitent about the Masquerade. without everyone's understanding, cosplayers and audience alike, things could have REALLY gone downhill. Adam, I feel quite honored you asked Lilli, Kimberly, Chris and myself to be a part of it.

Here's to next year being bigger and BETTER!

Ciao ciao ciao :)

P.S. We came up with a cosplay idea for Mr. Adam. I present to you the most beloved bald guy in Sakura Taisen... Oyakata-

http://www.goldenquartz.com/happycostume.jpg

I think it could work! :)

number18
04-30-2003, 12:48 PM
wow totally!

adferraro
04-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Oho, so that's the famous Oyakata.

I probably could do that one.

:)

harukarose
04-30-2003, 09:40 PM