PDA

View Full Version : What would you like:

thefinal
06-06-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm wondering what it is you would like to see this year at AnimeFEST 2007! Whether it be panels, games, whatever it may be. I ask that you throw out any suggestion possible and I'll see what I can do and try my best to make sure it makes it to AF 07! Remember though, we must try to keep everything family friendly!

Honey Usagi-chi
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
MORE VIDEO GAMES! We should DEFINITELY have Soul Calibur, Super Smash Brothers at the least! xD

thefinal
06-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Nobody else has anything else they'd like to add :( *fume fume*

Inuyasha_Kun
06-09-2007, 11:16 PM
A twister tournament? LOL that would be crazy! x.x can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now...

Eared Inu Yasha
06-10-2007, 12:23 AM
I would like to see a rentable panel room that cosplay groups can use by filling out a sign in sheet for time slots. It would be a nice thing for cosplay groups to have available.

I would also like to see a large space avaible for large cosplay groups to sign up for for photoshoots. There would need to be atleast a 2 hr time slot available because some photoshoots take a long time. It is so often dificult for large groups to find an available space out of the way. If this is made possible the organizer needs to consider how good the lighting is in the space to be used.

I would aslo like to see a room where cosplayers and congoers can bring their own food and eat together. A place with tables and chairs where food is not prohibited.

Something else that might be really fun would be "Open mike night" where anyone who would like to read a short piece of poetry or fanfiction, sing a song, or do a short comedy skit or dance for non competitive purposes could have a few minutes on the mike/platform or stage. These are really fun at coffee shops. It would be really cute if someone could sell snackes or coffee at this. A cafe night. :)

thefinal
06-10-2007, 12:30 AM
You know a twister tournament sounds pretty fun - lol.

Eared_Inu_Yasha: You have some great ideas and I'll see what I can do. I already had something planned for the photoshoots and mune_pop should be maintaining the thread with all the info on those. So I guess in photoshoot/gathering regards, everyone will have to plan their own time frame and set up a location because I will have "displays" showing all the photoshoots and gatherings on the lowest level and the main hotel level. More information will be coming soon as time draws closer - we're still waiting for more AF Staff/Manager meetings

I will see also about food space but the hotel is slightly finicky about that - but again, I'll inquire and see if there's something that can be worked out ^_~

Inuyasha_Kun
06-10-2007, 12:58 AM
I still have my brand new twister game that I never opened at A-kon... o.o

Anna
06-10-2007, 02:20 PM
I'd like to see a more round-the-clock accessible food source. Even if they're just selling pocky(A food I think really only tastes good when you're hungry) or something. It beats the zip-lock bag of cereal in the purse.

Honey Usagi-chi
06-11-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd like to see a more round-the-clock accessible food source. Even if they're just selling pocky(A food I think really only tastes good when you're hungry) or something. It beats the zip-lock bag of cereal in the purse.
I agree, because the hotel concession stand closes around when the dealer room closes, and the hotel bar/shop closes around 10-ish, and A LOT of people run late around the hotel, so we should have a late-night food stand for those hard-core con attendees.

thefinal
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Hmmm, I think I actually agree too - I'll see what I can find out about running a late night food stand -nods-

Eared Inu Yasha
06-14-2007, 03:40 PM
We've all been there. We feel your pain. You wait in line for the event that you have highly anticipated only to be turned away at the door. You either cant enter because you have a camera, a prop or the con staff doesnt like the evil spirit that is feeding on your soul. Now you must go all the way back to your room to put it away. By the time you are through fighting the elavators and the crowds, you have missed most of your event.

I would like a props and camera drop off place, where you can check in your item and pick it up after your event. (pick it up with ID or something)
There have been many many times when I wished such a service was available.

LilyChan
06-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Karoke of course. And not just anime OP, ED, and insert songs too. ^__^

Ooh, ooh, how about a modeling contest? Yeah, I expect lots of drama just by mentioning it, but it'd still be fun!

gundammrw
06-16-2007, 11:12 PM
I think it would be awesome if all the photoshoots were somehow listed on either the schedule or some signs somewhere. Like a board that you can check for info. That way people who forgot or dont know of the photoshoots can get to it. Also it would allow people the chance to come and take pics that would otherwise not know about it. OOooo you could put it in the Afest book thingy.

Hmmm I'll think up some other stuff too.

thefinal
06-16-2007, 11:18 PM
gundammrw: That's already being done actually. I can't put it in the program book because it'd have to be done too far in advance. No worries. If you look on the photoshoots/gathering page I posted where the locations of the boards will be.

MercuryIceStorm
06-17-2007, 01:01 AM
I've never been to an A-Fest before (hides) so I'm not sure if this is already there or not but I'll just throw it out there anyways. What about a cosplay emergency repair room with like needles, thread, scissors, hot glue guns, tape, Shout wipes etc. in case of those oops that can happen and make u want to go screaming into the night and not in a good way. I had to go all the way up to my room at Akon because I had to glue a piece of my Sailor Pluto time staff back on and kept thinking 'it would be so much easier if there were someone with a hot glue gun sitting right here' the whole time. I'm sure all of us cosplayers would be very greatful!

benihime
06-17-2007, 02:06 AM
gundammrw: That's already being done actually. I can't put it in the program book because it'd have to be done too far in advance. No worries. If you look on the photoshoots/gathering page I posted where the locations of the boards will be.

...so there are going to be something OTHER than on cosplay.com about the photoshoots? i know a lot of people who dont have an account who miss the photoshoots b/c they dont know

thefinal
06-17-2007, 11:11 AM
benihime: Other than cosplay.com, yes at the convention itself I will have boards made to show the locations, times, days and of course, which photoshoot. There will be a deadline that everyone has to turn in all the information by so that the boards can be made and there will be 2 on the hotel check-in level and two on the lower level. There are possible to be more, but probably just 4 in total.

benihime
06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
benihime: Other than cosplay.com, yes at the convention itself I will have boards made to show the locations, times, days and of course, which photoshoot. There will be a deadline that everyone has to turn in all the information by so that the boards can be made and there will be 2 on the hotel check-in level and two on the lower level. There are possible to be more, but probably just 4 in total.

thats so helpful to everyone!!! yay!!!

thefinal
06-18-2007, 12:47 AM
benihime: *salutes* It's a goal I'm working on - so as long as the boards aren't destroyed, shall be done for future AF's!

thefinal
06-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Anna: What exactly is it that you're looking for in a "snack" stand? I have many ideas of where it can go but I'm wondering from other fellow con-goers what it is you're all looking for exactly?

Phantom Pirate
06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I already posted this on the AF forums, but I'd really like to see Veronica Taylor as a guest.

<-- Pokénerd

Mystic~
06-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I'd like there to be a little meet up for the locals of DFW. I really enjoy meeting and making friends with the cosplayers in my area. I don't have a place to do that now that The Anime Store closed... T_T

thefinal
06-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Just so you know I have just found out that we are not able to do a 24 hr food both sale to do hotel restrictions along with vendor issues. Sorry guys :(

Mystic665: That'd actually be pretty nice. I'm slowly building my cosplay friends bubble ~.~;;

Honey Usagi-chi
06-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Thefinal- Awwwwww. I'm not too concerned as I'm staying at the hotel, but that makes me emo for the late night people that starve. I should probably go to Sams and buy cup ramen and just run around throwing it at people.

Mystic- I'm a local! Ish! I live at the most 15 mins away from Dallas, that's why I don't go to Onicon and such because I can't afford the traveling without a job xP So I'm up for a gathering!

And, I think we should ask Katie Bair to come as a guest. She's an american manga artist, cosplayer and wig stylist (Karaoke queen to boot ;p) She'd be a good judge for the cosplay competition and I'd so go to any panel she'd host. (Her webbie is katiebair.com or you could just go to pettingzoowigs.com for those of you who aren't aware of who she is [which I doubt, but just a precaution])

Mystic~
06-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Just so you know I have just found out that we are not able to do a 24 hr food both sale to do hotel restrictions along with vendor issues. Sorry guys :(

Mystic665: That'd actually be pretty nice. I'm slowly building my cosplay friends bubble ~.~;;

Can we do a 23 hour food booth? T_T

Also, I'd be happy to host the local thing if need be.

Honey Usagi-chi
06-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Mystic- Haha, maybe we should just leave it open late at night in the video rooms. That way it's food & anime! It should be fine if it's in the video rooms as that's open late(?) at the least

Kuragiman
06-20-2007, 07:44 AM
This is where I am glad I am on the SlimFast diet. XD I don't have to worry about eating at all hours of the night and can sneak in my power bars and drinks.

Should at least have a snack section open until midnight so people can stock up for the long cold lonely night in the con halls. ^_^ Surely we can do that? Don't tell me the Hyatt is a tighter hard A$$ than Adam's Mark? Their Pocky stand was open pretty darn late.

When I was shooting cosplay last year Jet_Texas set up a poker table and we gathered up some cosplayers and did a Anime Poker photoshoot. Might be interesting to take that a step further and have a real Celebrity Anime Poker Tournament. Two simple requirements; You have to know basic poker rules and you have to be cosplaying to enter. Maybe the grand champion gets a prize? Bonus points for acting like your character during the competition! Would any of you crazy cosplayers enter such a game?

gundammrw
06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Wow Kuragiman that sounds like an awesome idea! I've never even thought of such things. Well I know basic poker rules and cosplay, plus could be in character during it since one of my characters is an AVID poker player ^__^

thefinal
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I know how to play Texas Hold 'Em :) So you can count me in for wanting to play ^__~

thefinal
06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
For the food booth: I have a mini-meeting on Friday and what I'll see about doing is maybe negotiating having a table that opens after the dealer's room is closed and have snacks and what not and I'll try to push for 1-2a but they probably will say a bit earlier, and it still might be difficult to accomplish but I promise guys - I'll see what I can do.

Catzilerella
06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Karoke of course. And not just anime OP, ED, and insert songs too. ^__^

Ooh, ooh, how about a modeling contest? Yeah, I expect lots of drama just by mentioning it, but it'd still be fun!

Ooh I second that!
Karoke is so fun!

This is will be my first time attending A-fest and I have no idea what goes on, but some of the idea's offred here sound great!

I thought the Rocky Horror Picture show at Akon was great, I would see it again at Afest!

ChibiBritt
06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I third on karaoke!

thefinal
06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Mystic665: Yeah, I think instead of a request of things to have at the con, the local gathering needs to be with the photoshoots/gatherings. So if you want to start the thread and host, that's fine, if not, I'm sure we can find someone who'd like to but you get the first option since you came up with the idea. If we do this, we might want to consider being there for a while and doing an introductions sort of game (and I def. know one) and maybe have snacks -shrugs- Just a thought and option

Mystic~
06-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Thats a good idea. We might have a little photoshoot too, everyone could bring one of their favorite costumes. Think this should be in a room or something?

thefinal
06-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Mystic: Start a thread for this event plz, otherwise I'll start spamming on my own thread - lol. Thx.

Eared Inu Yasha
06-23-2007, 12:22 AM
I have tons of anime theme kareoke tracks, but they are not CDG, so the lyrics are not on screen so they have to be read from a sheet.

Inuyasha_Kun
06-23-2007, 02:08 AM
I am up for Kareoke to! ^.^ I love it

Danzikumaru
06-23-2007, 03:27 AM

I'm suprised no one's mentioned improvements to the cosplay contest yet. It was a point of much debate last year, the general consensus being that it needs a serious overhaul.

Kuragiman
06-23-2007, 07:02 AM

I'm suprised no one's mentioned improvements to the cosplay contest yet. It was a point of much debate last year, the general consensus being that it needs a serious overhaul.

Really? @_@ A-Fest 2006 was my first time at that convention and the Cosplay contest, to me, was 10x better than anything A-kon did for the last 5 years. I actually had a good time for once. What needs fixing? Looked like it ran pretty smooth to me.

thefinal
06-23-2007, 09:33 AM
What exactly do you mean needs an overhaul? I guess I'm wanting your opinion there because I will tell you, I personally know the woman that works the CosPlay Contest and she works her a$$ off every year, it's just a very difficult event to run. The one thing I will say that hopefully we will have is a different "host". Then again, they're guests and so we pick and choose who we want the "host" to be - but last year, I will admit there was a little too much "commentary" and it was a little annoying. If you just tell me what it is that you're talking in regards to, I can to try take it up and see what happens. If it's a long list of things - probably best to PM me.

Danzikumaru
06-25-2007, 04:42 AM
What exactly do you mean needs an overhaul? I guess I'm wanting your opinion there because I will tell you, I personally know the woman that works the CosPlay Contest and she works her a$$ off every year, it's just a very difficult event to run. The one thing I will say that hopefully we will have is a different "host". Then again, they're guests and so we pick and choose who we want the "host" to be - but last year, I will admit there was a little too much "commentary" and it was a little annoying. If you just tell me what it is that you're talking in regards to, I can to try take it up and see what happens. If it's a long list of things - probably best to PM me.

Woman? The cosplay director I met and the one listed on the website is a male...

Either way. I will list off a few of the chief complaints from last year:
Wonky judging and wonky rules. They were ambiguous, ESPECIALLY when it came to skits. An incredible skit last year was disqualified for being a drama skit. Another entry was disqualified due to an un-intentional costume malfunction. Other entries were disqualified for featuring kisses between characters of the same gender, even tiny ones. I know yaoi/yuri is an overrated attention getter, but disqualifying otherwise fantastic entries for that small infraction? Ridiculous. Add to that the fact that some of the judges (Three judges for a contest this size? That's just stupid) didn't seem to really know what they were doing (this is purely an observation on my part, and I do not hold it against any of the people that participated as judges) and you have a costume that may seem well structured on the outside, but on the inside is inherently flawed.

And what's more, the extremely long full rehersal of skits could easily be cut out if skits were pre-screened. And with as many sign ups as the contest gets, that seems fairly neccesary.

Kuragiman
06-25-2007, 07:40 AM
An incredible skit last year was disqualified for being a drama skit.

You must be referring to the the Trigun skit. That was disqualified because it was a drama skit? If that is the case, that is indeed completely and totally ridiculous. That was one of the best sketches I have seen performed at any convention. I actually got teary eyed at that particular performance and that has never happened before. Maybe its old age getting to me...

It was probably disqualified because one of the judges hadn't seen that episode of Trigun and got pissed at the spoiler. :D

As for the lip smacking between same genders... I am personally burned out on the whole Yuri/Yaoi thing and such actions are not necessary ever unless it is in the character's nature to do so from their series. A skit/performance should never be given points for a 'Shock' factor.

My Buck-o-Five.

thefinal
06-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I will say the reason we are not allowed to have yuri/yaoi is because there are a bunch of 10 year olds that do go to this con and most of their parents don't want them knowing what it is. When it comes to the artwork on badges or our logo, it's common amongst all-age anime, which is why we allow such, when it also comes to panels or game shows and there's cursing - well, in most pg-13 movies, you hear a rather larger amount of cursing these days - even on regular tv. However, the key is, in America we do not on tv, see a whole lot of same gender displays unless what you see on the street, and it's usually not to an extreme "public display of affection" therefore not all children exactly know or understand the concept of yaoi/yuri - and I personally learned at A-kon from being around a few of my friend's siblings that were younger - they don't know what it is and when they see it - they ask - and then you have to try to explain when it's not your job. So the yaoi/yuri thing, unfortunately as much as I love yuri, I understand why they have this rule. I will ask about the "drama" skit and see if I can get clarification from the Director but uh, the Director is most definitely a woman, but a male does work in conjunction with her.

The judges are usually the guests and we can't assign staff or "kids" to the judges, and I'm not sure how the judge selection goes for guests but I remember asking before because I still felt that the judging was biased (my opinion). The other thing is, we all as congoers have to understand that not everyone has seen every single video game we've played, every single manga we've read, anime we've watched, or etc...

I have a meeting again this coming weekend and I'll just point out some things and see what is discussed and maybe there can be some changes but I can NOT give my word that they will be - directors overpower managers.

Honey Usagi-chi
06-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I think there should be an age limit on who attends the cosplay competition, just like Anime HELL. Besides, it'd help alot. More of a mature audience is anybody's dream. Less rabid screaming 12 year olds (I remember there were 2 rows of them, and they started getting in a chick flick and totally distracted me) I think we should allow people to watch 13+ up as most animes being discovered for the past few years are not child friendly to begin with, and doing a skit of Cowboy Bebop would have to be horrifically butchered and be significantly out of character/anime to fit the "child guidelines" And hey, if parents go with their kids to AnimeFEST, then it's the parents' fault if their child saw what they didn't intend for them to see, they should know there are alot of older audiences and participants and that animes just don't come in child-sized happy meals. It's just like taking your kid to a PG-13/R movie. If parents complain to AnimeFEST, AnimeFEST should claim no responsibility as it was the parents' idea in the first place. And no I'm not saying the competition now should be a porno or something, but it'd definitely make it way less cheesy and such

Danzikumaru
06-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I will say the reason we are not allowed to have yuri/yaoi is because there are a bunch of 10 year olds that do go to this con and most of their parents don't want them knowing what it is. When it comes to the artwork on badges or our logo, it's common amongst all-age anime, which is why we allow such, when it also comes to panels or game shows and there's cursing - well, in most pg-13 movies, you hear a rather larger amount of cursing these days - even on regular tv. However, the key is, in America we do not on tv, see a whole lot of same gender displays unless what you see on the street, and it's usually not to an extreme "public display of affection" therefore not all children exactly know or understand the concept of yaoi/yuri - and I personally learned at A-kon from being around a few of my friend's siblings that were younger - they don't know what it is and when they see it - they ask - and then you have to try to explain when it's not your job. So the yaoi/yuri thing, unfortunately as much as I love yuri, I understand why they have this rule. I will ask about the "drama" skit and see if I can get clarification from the Director but uh, the Director is most definitely a woman, but a male does work in conjunction with her.

Since when is a simple kiss an extreme public display of affection? Light curing, visible panties on your badges, and all that nonsense is okay but a light kiss between two characters of the same gender is somehow not allowed? Excuse me, but that is just stupid and borderline bigoted. There is nothing harmful or detrimental to children about same gender relationships, and your words only support the backward stigma that it somehow is.

And I apologize for not thinking the director was a woman. The name on the website for cosplay coordinator is Michael Storie, the same person who was visibly directing and controling the show last year, so you'll have to forgive me for assuming he was in charge of the department.

And the Judges themselves confirmed in their own words that they chose not to give the Trigun skit an award because "it made them cry". Add to that the award you give specifically states it's for comedy skits and not for any other type of performance would lead me to believe that performance judging at this convention is extremely limited and, quite frankly, stupid.

The judges are usually the guests and we can't assign staff or "kids" to the judges, and I'm not sure how the judge selection goes for guests but I remember asking before because I still felt that the judging was biased (my opinion). The other thing is, we all as congoers have to understand that not everyone has seen every single video game we've played, every single manga we've read, anime we've watched, or etc...

I have a meeting again this coming weekend and I'll just point out some things and see what is discussed and maybe there can be some changes but I can NOT give my word that they will be - directors overpower managers.

One would assume that with plenty of elligible Cosplay Guests in our state, one could find a competent and believable set of judges. Also, NO JUDGE should EVER use their experience with the media a costume comes from in judging it. They are judging a COSTUME, no matter if it's the first time they've seen it or not. To give an award to one costume over another one and use the costumes popularity as one of the factors is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. IF that is what you are insenuating the judges did, which I would certainly hope not.

I suppose the reason I'm so passionate about this is because I work in the same position with my wife at other conventions, and have a definate idea of what works and what does not. I suppose that if the director feels their system achieves the results they are wanting out of their contest, then none can really argue against that. It would just help to know what their intentions are, because as of right now, Afest is on the low end of cosplay contests.

thefinal
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Actually Michael works in coordination with the other director so then my presumption would be is that they both run it.

I'm just saying that <b>I</b> personally feel the judges are biased based on media. I'm not saying they judge based upon that or they don't, but just a personal opinion and something I've been trying to weasel around to make sure they aren't. I've been reassured but personally, I want to get around them so that I'm secure about it.

I personally am not saying anything against same sex gender relationships, me personally, I have several gay friends and I myself, well, let's not go there. I have no problem with same sex kissing - the issue that has been seen with this the most is that most of the director's children are not over the age of 13 yet, and when they started this con, their children were babies. I'm just saying I understand where they come from on the same sex and skits that show public display of affection. Let's just say some children are sheltered, and not all parents want their children knowing about the sort. It's not so much of the same gender kissing as to what some of the directors are afraid of, but things can be taken out of hand rather rapidly - A-kon definitely shows so.

I will directly send you my email though so that we may further discuss this conversation to see what I can try and do and get a better understanding.

Honey Usagi-chi
06-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Well, that's exactly what I was pointing out earlier! xD

Miss_Mikado
06-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Lol More videogames.. yet I'd like to see DDR and Para Para that doesn't cost a $1 to play. $.50 is much better.

Danzikumaru
06-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Lol More videogames.. yet I'd like to see DDR and Para Para that doesn't cost a $1 to play. $.50 is much better.

Would you like to pay for the machines then?

thefinal
06-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Lol, the machines are expensive but I can't guarantee what the games will cost, but I can take it up with Matt. Depending if it's a individual person's donation, a store's donation, or otherwise depends usually on what the cost is. But I'll ask this coming weekend -nods-

Miss_Mikado
06-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Would you like to pay for the machines then?

lol I wish I could
Sorry if I sound as if I'm complaining or something, yet at some point I couldn't help but try forcing myself to stop paying $1 for one game at the arcade.

Yet, it's whatever you guys want to do.

MoonNeko
06-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I totally second the snack raiding xD This'll be my 3rd Afest, and I can't WAIT XD AHHHH

btw.. I know this isn't even related.. but.. How late will registration be opened on Saturday? I have a feeling I wont' be able to make it in until after 5 pm x_x;

I like the twister as well, I didn't get to play at Akon due to a bunch of really irritating staff members and rules made up at the last minute to make things not fun anymore during the Bleach Cosplay.com party.

thefinal
06-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Okay, just so you guys know I have brought up several of these possible additions to several of the directors and managers so we'll compromise and "negotiate" what we can. Unfortunately though, even though I myself would like to see a more accessible food source, we are incapable of doing so for several reasons, one main one being that it would break our contract with the hotel which even myself, I didn't know that, but that is something we at AnimeFEST cannot risk. Sorry guys. You can feel free to keep the suggestions coming though! I'm all ears ^__~

Honey Usagi-chi
06-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I'd still like to stand by what I said earlier and have an age limit as to who will participate or view the competition. It's just not right to watch a somewhat older anime skit horrifically butchered to fit the standards of what looks to be cartoon network. They screwed up Kenshin enough, y'know, and most animes nowadays aren't meant for children unless there are hundreds of mermaid melody pichi pichii skits or something.

thefinal
06-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I've already asked about the CosPlay Contest and they want to keep it all ages, therefore certain things will not be allowed, has to stay family friendly. If you have any further questions that you would like to ask the director, PM me and I will supply you with her email so that you may further discuss your concerns ^^;;

Honey Usagi-chi
07-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Ahhh, I see X_X but can I ask this? Why after AF 04 they moved the dealers room into the old game room? It's much smaller and I feel bad when I run into people because they spend alot of time and their costumes and I dun wanna ruin them x-x I really liked where it was, it was super spacious, and people moved without fear of tripping and stuff. I'm a certified klutz guys, so I'm the kinda girl that you'll be afraid that'll ruin your 250 hour costume incidentally x-x

thefinal
07-06-2007, 02:02 AM
The dealer's room is a lot bigger this year. Don't worry.

Honey Usagi-chi
07-06-2007, 02:21 AM
YAYAYAYAYAY! *dances in room 2:18 A.M* That makes me super happy! I wanted to go on the Mondays for 2 years 'bout that and put in my two cents about it. W00ts! Now I can feel at ease because I originally didn't even plan on going into the dealers with my Watery outfit if it was in the same place. *wipes sweat* Phew....

thefinal
07-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, it's expanding significantly, so I'm sure you'll be a bit surprised. Lol. We had to do it though due to many other reasons as well, but there is much more space this year - and if you don't like it - lol - you'll have to come complain to me :)

Honey Usagi-chi
07-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Ahaha, I'm sure it'll be big enough for me :] Anything comparatively close to the old Dealers room is fine by me!

Shia-Chan
07-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I personally found AF's cosplay contest last year very well managed, or atleast from the my point of view. It was my first cosplay at AF, so I was expecting something crazy like A-kon's: long lines, running late, people yelling, overtime skits. I actually got to sit right behind the judges in 2nd row, which was a big change for me. </rant>

So I don't think the cosplay has any MAJOR things to fix up or alter. But if there's still an issue regarding young kids viewing it, maybe there could be some kind of sign before entering the room? Such as something along the lines of "May contain content some would find inappropriate to young children." ...I don't know, maybe it'd steer too many people away from the cosplay, but atleast the parents could have a clue in advance. That would leave the option up to them if they should allow their kids to go or not. Maybe the host could say it at the beginning kindly and politely? I think there still should be restrictions for how "adult" the skits get, though. (Yes, I don't like the child-safe skits as much as the next, but I also really don't like angry parents. The staff doesn't need to deal with them, too.)

Sorry if my idea is bad, I'm just trying to think of a compromise ^^;

Danzikumaru
07-07-2007, 03:02 PM
I personally found AF's cosplay contest last year very well managed, or atleast from the my point of view. It was my first cosplay at AF, so I was expecting something crazy like A-kon's: long lines, running late, people yelling, overtime skits. I actually got to sit right behind the judges in 2nd row, which was a big change for me. </rant>

So I don't think the cosplay has any MAJOR things to fix up or alter. But if there's still an issue regarding young kids viewing it, maybe there could be some kind of sign before entering the room? Such as something along the lines of "May contain content some would find inappropriate to young children." ...I don't know, maybe it'd steer too many people away from the cosplay, but atleast the parents could have a clue in advance. That would leave the option up to them if they should allow their kids to go or not. Maybe the host could say it at the beginning kindly and politely? I think there still should be restrictions for how "adult" the skits get, though. (Yes, I don't like the child-safe skits as much as the next, but I also really don't like angry parents. The staff doesn't need to deal with them, too.)

Sorry if my idea is bad, I'm just trying to think of a compromise ^^;

The whole issue with the "child safe" skits is that the entries that were disqualified for being "not kid safe" were in fact completely effing harmless. Accidental pant rips and kissing a threat to our children? Give me a break...

Add to that the wonky and nearly unpredictable judging and you've got the lump sum of what was wrong with the contest. These are obviously things the audience isn't likely to notice, but for the entrants it's very much apparent. These issues have, however, been brought up to the people in charge, so hopefully they will be adressed. I love Afest to death, and want it's cosplay contest to have the same level of fun and excellence the rest of the convention does.

thefinal
07-08-2007, 02:27 AM
Okay guys, unfortunately CosPlay Contest conversation will have to cease and desist. If you have any further complaints or suggestions you'll have to PM me so that I may give you Suzi's email to further better answer and direct your questions and concerns. Sorry guys.

Danzikumaru
07-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Okay guys, unfortunately CosPlay Contest conversation will have to cease and desist. If you have any further complaints or suggestions you'll have to PM me so that I may give you Suzi's email to further better answer and direct your questions and concerns. Sorry guys.

No worries, just reiterating my original points which you have thankfully brought foreward to your superiors. It really feels good to be listened to, something I never got out of Akon.

chibi_sasuke_1
07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi there :)

First off, I really enjoyed Animefest 2006 :D

But this year, I'd like to see: Better Communication!

I sent off payment for pre-reg and for a table in artists' alley way back in April, and since have emailed multiple times to multiple people, trying to figure out if they received my payment, and to see if I have a spot for Artists' Alley. It's very frustrating that there is no communication or reply in regards to anything, and makes it very difficult to plan >.<

Speaking of, has anyone heard anything back if they pre-registered as well? Or if they got a table in the Artists' Alley?

In addition, the con is only 2 months away and it looks like nothing is going on. I know some things can happen rather close to the actual con time itself, but there should at least be something up there by now, like a guest or two, or a band, or some event. I'm hoping they update it with something soon, just so more people can get excited about the con and the stuff that will be there.

Just my thougths :)

Honey Usagi-chi
07-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I mean everybody's plans are basically revolved around "Whenever the cosplay contest is" and seeing that the con is a month and a half away, I think things could get moving, as stuff for 2007 wasn't even released till last month X_X;

thefinal
07-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I want to LAWL at this and say, that's Robert *points at Robert* But, Robert and Laura are 2 very busy people and ummm...no one is allowed to TOUCH the website EXCEPT for Robert. As for the Artists' Alley area, as I've said in my PM to you - I'm not sure if you mean the Bizarre Bazaar or not, but if so, that's something that takes contacting Laura, which will be tedious but can be accomplished. Currently we have no manager for that department nor do we no longer have a few other managers in different departments - therefore this does pose a problem and has Robert and Laura working their butts off. So I beg that you please bare with us as we are working on getting new staff and otherwise. If you need to get in contact with someone though, like I said, I can do my best to help :)