PDA

View Full Version : How does Oni-Con stack up to A-kon?

EmperorCesar
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Oddly enough, I have only attended A-kon in the past and never Oni-Con even though I live in Houston. Is one better than the other? If so, by how much?

Etsu
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
I think each has its advantages and disadvantages that depend on the individual. A-kon had a whole lot more attendees, which makes meeting people easier. At the same time, if you're like me and not a big fan of crowds, Oni-con isn't as overwhelming. Recently it moved to the George R. Brown Convention Center, which is more spacious but really easy to get lost in. Finally, Oni-con seems to be geared towards the J-rock crowd although Yoshitaka Amano was their special guest this past year. Overall, I'd say it's worth checking out.

Scortia
06-06-2007, 11:59 PM
I definitely enjoyed Oni-con more this year moreso than A-kon. Granted, I think most of it has to do with the fact that the location is AWESOME. ;p

RedeadDie
06-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Oni-con is a bit more organized and the people appear to be more well behaved. Unlike A-kon, where the guests seem to have become over the years a bit too rowdy. The staff also appears to be a lot more nicer as well.

Lady Saea
06-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Oni-con is awesome. Well organized (compared to a-kon), good staff, good guests, and its just going to get better.

Lisele McLanna
06-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, if anybody had gone to the very first Oni-con, it was total crap and just turned me off to the whole con. I had preregisted with a bunch of friends and they lost our badges, so we had to wait in line forever for them to make us new ones. That and the whole place was soooooooooooo freaking crowded. I still like A-kon a lot, but their whole line system needs a LOT of work. I'm really getting tired of waiting in line. Plus they should know better for the cosplay contest and stop scheduling events right after. That way there aren't only 75 entries allowed to enter. We just said 'screw the cosplay contest' and left the registration line. We were going to watch it, but we went to go check at 6:00 (an hour before starting) and the line was already all the way around the main floor. We also said 'screw that' to that line and went to go watch in someone's hotel room. That and Dallas' toy gun band blows. Major. Can't even use a broken airsoft gun. Geh.

Malicious
06-09-2007, 12:17 PM
^thats because the people who ran the 1st oni-con under-estimated how many people were actually going to attend the con. to me, the very first oni-con was actually the best. ( maybe because i prefer duel jewel and camino over phantasma and 12012) but yes...that hotl was tiny, the 2nd year at oni was the worst. that hotel was even worse and it was lame how the art table were in that narrow hallway. it got too crowded and hot that way. parking sucked big time and it was lame how on the last day of the 2nd oni-con, the hotel started to charge for parking!! $10!?!? no way! we parked about a block away at some office buildings

hooraytheweird
06-12-2007, 01:43 PM
^
The Oni-Con actually sued the hotel from the second year because they broke contract, which is why it sucked so hard.

Fallen)x(Angel
06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Oni-con 3 was great because they finally found a place that could hold us all and it wouldn't get crowded. Mind you, the artist alley is always crowded and having it right in front of the dealer's room isn't very cool. But the con's people count was a little small to use the whole convention center. It seemed that my friends and I were sprinting from one side to the other side of the convention center to get to any panel we wanted to go too. But I loved how they had the T.V. screens and maps at every turn so you knew where to go. The air walks to the hotel are great too, as well as the air walk and elevators to the parking garage.

I think a downside to Oni-con is that they started the J-rock concert line during the cosplay contest so anyone coming out had to go through a maze to get through those who were in line.

The place is really big so it's easy to get lost, but it's also really spacious so you can sit down/hang out nearly anywhere and not be in the way. It's a lot easier to play jump rope or duck duck goose at this con then it is at A-kon. And the fact that the majority of the con takes place a floor above registration gives an entire floor dedicated to the ATM machines and the registration line.

Another great thing about Oni-con is that there is usually not wait for elevators, and if there is, it's only like 5 minutes. You're not crowded in the elevators.

Each con has it's ups and downs though. You'll have to give Oni-con a try before you can decide which one is better.

Melodious Nocturne
06-14-2007, 01:58 AM
first oni-con was great, it was my first convention.

2nd oni-con sucked. they broke the contract, wanted us to pay $10 each day for parking, and there was no air conditioner, they hotel sucked.

3rd oni was a blast, well organized. great location. enough space for all of us XD onicon 4 is gonna rock also!

Eared Inu Yasha
06-16-2007, 01:35 AM
oh wow! I lusted after onicon for two years because it happed to always fall on my college's fall break, and then last october I got to finally go. I had no idea that it was only the 3rd one! lol I had been lusting after it since it started. I had no clue. I read about it online on a convention site list.

I thought onicon 3 was good, although it did feel weird that the events were so far apart in the very spacious convention center. It was differnt. Im so use to the crowds at cons. But it had a very relaxed feel and It did seem very organized.

the hotel was nice too. :) I actually went to the pool

I think its a great con to go and chill with your friends and the staff is very polite and helpful.

Did they have 24 hr video rooms? I think I remember them closing (but maybe that wasnt all of them)

I think everyone should try an onicon. :) but you should also consider what type of events atract you to a con and see that it has an ample supply of it before you make a long drive

as for you houston recidents, what the heck are you staying at home for? Go check it out!

vainvixen
06-27-2007, 01:22 PM
wow, it sounds awsome! i cant wait to go!
I've never been to a con before, and from the sound of it, this would be a great one to start off with!

Malicious
06-27-2007, 03:39 PM
^ yes and oni-con music guests tend to be good jrock bands ( well i didn'tlike phantasma tho) so you should check the concerts too. i actually liked where the artist alley was. it brought more business to us artists since it was outside of the dealer's room. the entrance for the dealer's room never looked overcrowded to me at all. i can't stand when artist tables are put to the side, where less people seem to go. i agree it was very spacious, and it did feel like a maze ^_^ it was hard finding rooms and panels. i just wish the con had more of a halloween feel since it's in october ( i love halloween)

Sada-Akiko
07-05-2007, 01:00 AM
I've never been to oni-conn before but I'm going to attempt to pull a group together this year. I'm actually really excited because this would be my second convention (not counting O-Conn in Helotes) and it falls on the weekend before my birthday. Yeah I really hope I get to go, it sounds like loads of fun.

Mistyresa
07-07-2007, 05:15 PM
how many people usually go like 5000 or something?

rabidfanboy
07-08-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm in the minority and loved the 2nd Oni-con. I had a blast at it and it's been one of the most fun smaller cons I've been to.

Last years Oni-con was great as well and I really liked the new location. Plus, it's the con I met a lot of the people I've become friends with in cosplay. ^_^b

Very much looking forward to this years Oni-con and hope for the best with it.

L Gackto
07-13-2007, 05:25 AM
I think each has its advantages and disadvantages that depend on the individual. A-kon had a whole lot more attendees, which makes meeting people easier. At the same time, if you're like me and not a big fan of crowds, Oni-con isn't as overwhelming. Recently it moved to the George R. Brown Convention Center, which is more spacious but really easy to get lost in. Finally, Oni-con seems to be geared towards the J-rock crowd although Yoshitaka Amano was their special guest this past year. Overall, I'd say it's worth checking out.

I like jrock and that would be the reason I would go. They had some good bands in the past but I haven't heard anything yet. Supposedly, they were supposed to get a band from Jrock Revolution. Let me know if it's true!!!:bigtu:

serenity_relena
08-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I just recently attended Comic-Con in San Diego and it seemed unorganized and was crazy crowded. So it made me really appreciate the low key more spacious atmosphere of Oni-Con. Not to mention how many more people dress up and how much effort people put into their elaborate costumes. Last years Oni-Con was my first con and it was really great! And from the sound of things I didn't miss much from the first two years. Haha
I tried to go to A-kon but it didn't pan out, but again it doesn't sound like I missed much there either. But I'm excited for this years Oni-Con.
That's the really good thing about Oni-Con there is so much to see and do. When I was there last year we were there like 12 hours and it still wasn't enough. So that's why my boyfriend and I will be there all weekend this year. ^_^

sylphkeeper
08-29-2007, 06:24 PM
This Onicon will be my third convention and my first onicon. it sounds like it just keeps getting better, so i'm really excited. People at Mechacon kept telling me that I had to come, so I finally gave in ^^. It also falls the weekend after my birthday. After experiencing A-kon and Mechacon, which are completely opposite extremes of conventions as far as size goes, I hope that Onicon will fall nicely in the middle, with not too much crowding but plenty to do, which is what it sounds like from the posts. now that I have internet, i can also keep updating with the boards, so I look forward to getting involved!