PDA

View Full Version : fanfics, mags, American j-rock?

lupineloli
04-27-2003, 01:19 AM
Fanfics:
I am trying to get the motivation to rennovate my Malice Mizer fanfics - but there are SO many that it just makes me cower. I want to get rid of all of the uncessary Japanese words I use (I hate reading random Japanese in fics...don't worry if you do it, I don't preach it badly LOL) and clean up the style, grammer and sentence structer (ah - college English classes does WONDERS for your fics!)
I just can't seem to find the motivation.
Then again - now that I got my 1992 LIVE AT TOKYO DOME X JAPAN cds back from my cousin after being on loan for 2 years, I may yet find it....

Anyone else have this problem?

J-rock Magazines:

If you want some, please go here for details:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11513

American J-rock?

What do you guys/gals think of "j-rock" bands in America? I'm not talking about the real deal like Duel Jewel - I am talking about Americans who form a band, sing in Japanese and call themselves J-rock? Are they:

1) wannabe J-rock
2) American visual kei (if that's their schtik)
3) Truly J-rock since they sing in Japanese
4) Just a band who happens to sing in Japanese...
5) You don't usually generalize - you need to know all of the details prior to forming an opinion

Just curious for opinions ~ I have my own, but it goes on #5 b/c I've experienced the wanna be famous quasi-bands who sing the Everyone-and-their-mothers-know-it J-rock (Forever Love and random anime songs they consider j-rock) BUT I've also experienced what I would call a true dedication to the trademarks of j-rock.

anyway....your thoughts?

Cyber Wolf
04-27-2003, 01:37 AM
*hasn't written any j-rock fanfics....yet* I'd say...two and five. It's pretty cool to see that it's catching over here. Though, they might as well be cover bands IF all they're singing is songs that are already out there. I'd rather they make up their own stuff.

I guess I wouldn't mind if they soing in English, though pary of the reason why I like visual kei and j-music in general is because I don't know what the words mean immediatly, they just blend into the melody. ^^ Not that I'm saying I wouldn't like to know what they mean ^^;;;

lupineloli
04-27-2003, 03:02 AM
seriously - J-rock was the perfect excuse for me to listen to music where I wasn't required to know all of the lyrics. I have a hard time learning lyrics souly by ear anyway ~ J-rock is perfect ^^;

Cyber Wolf
04-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Yes it's so convenient-er, enjoyable ^^;;; lol

Umi
04-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Hm... on American J-rock. Well if the band is simply singing songs from Jrock bands I would consider them a cover band but if they go all out and compose their own songs and lyrics in Japanese then it's I wouldn't go so far as calling them wannabes but just that they're heavily influenced by a genre outside the U.S.
... I'm sure it must have been sort of weird when Japanese bands first started singing songs completely in English. But it's not so jaw-dropping now.

... This should be leading to some type of conclustion now but I don't really have one so o.O;

kris
04-28-2003, 10:33 AM
isnt "J" in "J-rock" Japan? Then it should be in Japan. If it isnt, its just rock-- even if it is in a different language.

If Brittany Spears sings a song in Japanese-- she is still pop-- not "J-pop" because she is American.

I dunno. We dont use the word "J-rock" in Japan any way.

avagoyle
04-28-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by kris
isnt "J" in "J-rock" Japan? Then it should be in Japan. If it isnt, its just rock-- even if it is in a different language.

If Brittany Spears sings a song in Japanese-- she is still pop-- not "J-pop" because she is American.

I dunno. We dont use the word "J-rock" in Japan any way.

Yeah, I agree with this. My Japanese boyfriend thinks that the whole term "jrock" is stupid. After all, it's just rock sung in Japanese.

I don't think that a band is a jrock band unless they come from Japan. They can be white, but jrock implies they are from Japan.

avagoyle
04-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Oh, to add to that, I have friends in the band secret-secret. (my boyfriend sometimes plays for them). They are white people who often sing songs in Japanese and have played in Japan with "jockers" before.

But even though they do all that, they don't call themselves "jrock".

soshi
04-28-2003, 01:43 PM
*nods* I agree with avagoyle and kris.

and.. er.. that's all. ^^; *slinks away*

Lyn
04-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Hm....I didn't even realize that people have actually done that before. I myself would love to be in a band and perform as visual kei and sing songs in japanese but I know that I would never be an actual J-Rocker since I'm not japanese myself.

Kris brought up a good point about the fact that in Japan they don't call it J-Rock so I imagine that its just rock to them as it is pretty much anywhere so I don't think it really matters if you're nationality is one thing and the language you sing in is another.

I would actually like to know more information about these American bands that have successfully done this since I haven't heard of people who actually did it, just of people who want to.

soshi
04-28-2003, 04:36 PM
well, obviously they don't call rock music "jrock" in Japan. it's a term coined here... I mean, I just consider it all rock music in my head... but if you say "I'm going to cosplay Kyo from Dir en grey", and someone asks you what Dir en grey is, you're going to say "a Jrock band", because people are familiar with that term, and if you say "it's a rock band", people are going to think it's American rock, y'know?

avagoyle
04-30-2003, 12:00 AM
http://www.secret-secret.com/

That's secret-secret's website. From there

Secret Secret has performed live shows in California, Seattle, and Portland. Secret Secret has also performed on the East coast including the CMJ Music Marathon Musicfest as part of the Sythpop showcase both in 1999 and 2000. This was the first time CMJ presented a Synthpop showcase. As of October 2001 Secret Secret is fully an international band having played the first Tokyo Goth and Darkwave, and the World Ele Pop Festival events in Shibuya Japan! For 2002 Secret Secret was the featured artist at Yaoi Con giving some hot yaoi action fan survice.

They (the founders who are also on fanime staff) are organizing a concert at Fanime. They (secret-secret) and the Japanese band "Blood" will be playing along with some other indie bands from the US.

accelagirl
05-02-2003, 12:26 AM
well, american bands that sing in japanese are just... american bands that sing in japanese... it wouldn't be fair to call them wannabes even if they don't sing their own songs. if they do, then they're not wannabes at all! there's no difference between a band in japan and a band in america when it comes down to the band itself. if the style and genre are different, that's like calling a punk band that sings a pop song wannabe pop-stars. if you put aside the fact that a band is japanese, you'll see a lot of resemblances in other bands in america. i agree with soshi, that jrock is a good term to differenciate between american and japanese. but people can't go around assuming they know what a band sounds like just because it's "jrock". it's a weird situation, since americans barely listen to music from other parts of the world (we're getting better though!!). but even if we did, we wouldn't call our music a-rock; japan doesn't, china doesn't... we would call it "punk" or "metal" or whatever the genre is. another thing is the "visual" genre. i'm not too sure how that would change if it were to grow in america; whether people would call it "glam" or whatever. but we shouldn't just refer to all japanese rock as "jrock", that takes away from the point of genres like "punk" "visual" and "heavy" etc...

wow, that was a long rambling paragraph that didn't make sense at all. what was the original point i was trying to make? :laugh:

KAi-
05-26-2006, 08:24 PM
thats not really true think of it this way.a spanish rock band is just a rock band where you sing in spanish you dont have to be hispanic.same with JAPANESE rock,you sing in japanese therefor you play japanese rock.if it was the way your all saying then whatever your race is would say what type of rock your playing wrather then the language you sing in l^_^l ya know?spanish rock=rock in espanual JROCK=rock in japanese.

Senko-chan
05-26-2006, 09:26 PM
I agree with KAi.

FilthyWarumono
05-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Wow oO; Sick, sort of.

<<;;; <doesn't quite want the whole entire world to be OMG JROCK *_*>

KAi-
05-28-2006, 06:14 PM
I agree with KAi.

thanks senko-chan l^_^l

影の死子
05-28-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't really care what genre/classification a band falls under, so long as their music is good. ^_^