PDA

View Full Version : How many of you aren't going due to SARS?

MikigamiTokiya
04-27-2003, 02:10 PM
just curious how many people aren't going to go and there are too many posts on the others to sift through. To start with I know nobody out of my cosplay group is going.

heki-chan
04-27-2003, 07:01 PM
"To start with I know nobody out of my cosaply group is going."

--does that mean no one in your group will be attending AN? O_O;

everyone over here is going ^_^V we live 9mins from the con, so really, it makes no difference. ^_^;

Kurenai
04-27-2003, 07:06 PM
I'm out. People bailed on me---so it's not happening anymore >< Have a good time guys.

Yuna-X2
04-27-2003, 07:17 PM
I'm out because [a] Group bailed [b] Parents worried [c] Lack of money due to grad trips.

MikigamiTokiya
04-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by heki-chan
"To start with I know nobody out of my cosaply group is going."

--does that mean no one in your group will be attending AN? O_O;

everyone over here is going ^_^V we live 9mins from the con, so really, it makes no difference. ^_^;

yeah bascially ><;; such a cool FoR one ready too ;o;

Sailor Naboo
04-27-2003, 08:43 PM
It is really creapy.

When I got home from Sakura Con, I began to get a bad sore throat, congested lungs and a dry cough, a conjected head, I ached all over, then I got a low grade fever (100F). Since I had contact with people that had flown in from Asia as well, my University did not allow me to attend class until my temperature was normal. I was also under orders to come into the Heath Center through the BACK DOOR if my fever went up to around 101.5/102 or over (which it never did).

I'm mostly better now, and I tried to be realistic about it, but when you are told to not go to class, it's creapy!

Emeralda
04-27-2003, 09:03 PM
I'm not going, but it was decided weeks before the illustrious people at the CDC issued its SARS warning. Basically I have no money, and don't want to drive 7 hours alone.

xiola
04-27-2003, 09:22 PM
yeah... that's like me and ACen, whenever it's NOT held on the same weekend as ANorth... i need to go again, but i never have the money for it at that time of year :(

Limeyaku
04-27-2003, 09:43 PM
BIG RANT.

sorry, this is kind of stupid though. people not going because of sars is RIDICULOUS.

obviously no one listens or is too stupid to read numbers when its been said 1000x that there is LESS THAN 1% CHANCE OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC CONTRACTING THE DISEASE.

that is unless youve had direct contact with a relative/friend who has been to china etc recently and im assuming a lot of you HAVENT. -_-;;

0.00005% of people in the GTA have had the disease and most ( if not all ) of them were IN DIRECT CONTACT with someone who had been to asia or has had the disease.

the WHO is stupid for putting a ban on toronto and people are stupid for being so gullible.

if i sound mean, im not trying to be, but this whole situation is getting SO OUT OF HAND by people who are too ignorant to see its NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL. >_<;;

more people die from the flu and air pollution. -_-;; might as well lock us ALL up and put a ban on the entire world, why don't you.

as long as you dont breathe in other peoples sneezes and coughs or touch their mucous n then lick ur hands, ur pretty much safe. unless you plan on doing that, im assuming its very safe to attend anime north.

*goes to eat cookies*

Kurenai
04-27-2003, 09:55 PM
Limeyaku: I guess I could say that I'm indirectly not going because of SARS, (becos of group arrangement or lack thereof) and I agree that it's gotten out of hand.
WHY does it have to be confined to the chinatown area? now I can't even go to the pacific mall to do pity shopping ;_; ;_;

xiola
04-27-2003, 10:20 PM
yay limeyaku~~ *agrees completely*

>P

yeah, so i'm mean to all the paranoid people out there. but god, i LIVE here, so i just see it all as bloody ridiculous and bitterly resent the huge loss of numbers we're gonna get this year to american cons who already HAVE enough money.

and the first year we managed to get a big name seiyuu too!! T_T;;; *is just waiting dejectedly for anime north to get a letter of cancellation from Midorikawa if they haven't already* >_<

damn you world media! *cries*

Mage
04-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Maybe more people won't go because they'll be anticipating Midorikawa not going.....and then the autograph line-up will be shorter...:devil: Bwahahahaha.....

I really, really hope he doesn't cancel...the con is in Mississauga, basically, and not Toronto anyway, so......^_^ *does Midorikawa summoning dance* oops, this is so off-topic.

heki-chan
04-28-2003, 12:01 AM
mmhmM!! *agrees with limeyaku^_~*

another way to put it:

you have better chances of being hit by a speeding TRUCK than you have of contracting SARS without direct contact to the people who have it. annnnnd the Canadian Government is doing an EXCELLENT job of containing the virus.

THERE HAS NOT BEEN A NEW CASE IN 8 DAYS PEOPLE. EIGHT. DAYS.
half the battle is won.

Also, as Mage said, AnimeNorht is *NOOOOT* in Toronto. Its is on the border of Mississauga (who had only ONE case) and Etobicoke (who had NOOOO CASES)...so..whts the fuse? (._.) goddamn media. goddamn american media. goddamn WHO.
*mutters* >_<;

*shrugs*
more merchandise for me to whorage muahahaha^_^

Mekou
04-28-2003, 12:15 AM
I have one girl in my group not going anymore due to her mom scared stiff of her getting SARS. >_<

*strangles SARS in physical form*

I don't think people are afraid of getting SARS they are afriad of dying from it. At least that's what i think. that's the only fear I have about SARS. It's EXACTLY like the flu in every way. I see no differences. So sometimes I wonder how many people in quarantine have the regualar flu? >_>

One of the girls in my group has therest of the group scared stiff cuz she said that people with SARS will be at AN cuz they don't want to stay in quarantine. O_o

I'm sure some con-goers will be a bit edgy. I just hope that when someone coughs that people don't instantly scream out "SARS!" -_- I've had enough of that in my school/

heki-chan
04-28-2003, 01:16 AM
guys before this gets more out of hand and even more blown out of proportion, AnimeNorth has set up an info-section on the topic. as well as a list of their precautionary methods:

http://www.animenorth.com/

*points* go there to read, its really well put together and well worth the read to put your minds at ease ^_^

~heki

Kisa
04-28-2003, 01:17 AM
heh. That's what I'd do. I's cough on people and say I had SARS just so stupid people DON'T come.
But that's just me.

Mekou
04-28-2003, 01:57 AM
LOL! More fun for us then! ^0^

JustinCredible
04-28-2003, 03:09 AM
:Justin Dances On The back of SARS:

Visage
04-28-2003, 10:58 AM
I agree with the basic sentiment that I have seen repeated here several times: The whole SARS issue has been blown *way* out of proportion and exaggerated to a revolting level. There is a much better chance of having a motor vehicle accident on the way to the convention and dying than contracting SARS in the first place. I've been saying from the beginning that SARS isn't something to be worrying every waking moment about. If this was something on par with a TB outbreak, I would probably be concerned, but SARS is on a lower level than pneumonia or the flu.

However...

Not everyone seems to realize this.

I am also not attending North this year as a result of fears within a group. Since traveling in a group cut costs, when people started backing out due to fear of SARS (some of them are downright paranoid about it), costs went up for the rest. As a result, an alternate convention plan for this year has been suggested. We are doing that instead, since most of us are disappointed about the fiasco that occurred with North. Because everyone is involved again, it is more affordable than a smaller number of us attending North and everyone also gets to be included in the plans again. I think for most of us in this thead, finances and group decisions were a large reason for decisions to not attend this year. SARS does not seem to be the primary deterrent for us here, although it might have been what indirectly caused our reasons for absence.

I regret that so many people ended up having problems with this year's North due to something so ridiculous. However, I hope everyone that attends North this year has a great time and I hope to meet some of you next year when the group and I get back up there. :)