PDA

View Full Version : FABRICATIONS / Friday Night Costume Contest - happening this year?

Space Invader
06-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey there! Does anyone know if this event is happening again this year? It had a WONDERFUL turnout last year so I was expecting it to take place again... but it's not on the D*C website. Am I missing something, or has it been stricken from the events list?

Brittany Bunny
06-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Hmmm...I browse the d*c communities on livejournal (where many of the staff post as well) and nobody has mentioned it being removed. Some people even comment that they're going to participate in it or what-not, and nobody has ever piped up and said it's not happening.

halafax
06-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Ive not heard anything one way or the other, though personally Ill not register. That was a mess and a half. THe only thing I got out that was annoyed.

Brittany Bunny
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I never found any pictures from last year's contest. Does anybody have any or know of any links?

halafax
07-06-2007, 01:20 PM
As far as I know they were never posted. Ive seen some of them from the around the con box on the dragon con web page. But other than that, nothing was ever posted. I wanted to see how I looked before I went on stage, but never heard or found anything out. Im curious as well...

kelldar
07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I had also thought of entering this year (tired of the actual masquerade) but hadn't noticed there's nothing about it on the site. Anybody out there know if it's happening?

and, I just have to say, the official photos are later this year than usual.

Brittany Bunny
07-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I had also thought of entering this year (tired of the actual masquerade) but hadn't noticed there's nothing about it on the site. Anybody out there know if it's happening?

and, I just have to say, the official photos are later this year than usual.

They really are, in the past they seemed to have gone up around early spring. Seems we'll be lucky if last year's go up before this year's con!

I haven't seen anything going on with the site other than updates to the guest information...

rabidfanboy
07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I hope this contest is still happening because I was really looking forward to it.

Brittany Bunny
07-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Here's a link anyone interested in the costume contest and costuming in general at D*C should take note of: http://community.livejournal.com/dragon_costumes/

According to this community, the contest will be going on this year and will be in the Hilton.

And here are the only photos I've been able to find of last year's contest: http://www.rejoycing.com/cons/dragoncon/dragoncon2006/costumes/costumecontest/dragoncon2006_costumecontest.htm

Hikaruchan
07-07-2007, 12:21 PM
And here are the only photos I've been able to find of last year's contest: http://www.rejoycing.com/cons/dragoncon/dragoncon2006/costumes/costumecontest/dragoncon2006_costumecontest.htm

My pictures from the contest are at http://www.icosplay.com/drag2k6/drag0616.html and http://www.icosplay.com/drag2k6/drag0617.html

Some pictures I got of some contestants that hung around after the contest are scattered on other pages at http://www.icosplay.com/drag2k6/drag2k6.html

MeahtSingan
07-07-2007, 03:21 PM
My pictures from last year start here http://pics.livejournal.com/meahtsingan/gallery/0000b0pp?page=8 in my LJ scrapbook.

Getting good photos was tough: many of the contestants didn't realize they should stop and strike a pose but instead kept moving; the lighting, even on stage, was a little dodgy; and the post-contest photo-op never materialized properly because they had to set up the space for another event. But there were some wonderful costumes.

Brittany Bunny
07-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Aah thanks to both of you~

The_Balrog
07-12-2007, 01:05 PM
If it is happening this year I'll be sitting this one out. Last year was a mess. I'm still a little hurt that they changed my costume level based on no Masq contest I've entered. They didn't say anything till I was in line for the contest when the MC called my name out of order.
How rude and very unprofessional. Personally I'd rather spend the time I did backstage hanging out with friends and getting some hall cosplay time in.

Just not impressed. SO I've opted to pass.

halafax
07-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Hear hear on that. I was less than impressed by the way things were handled. After waiting forever and ever, the judges were rude about to me. Said they didnt want to know about my prop, but my costume. Last I checked a prop is part of the costume. They also didnt seem to care. I was unhappy with some of the winners. The family from babalon 5 winning because they had a baby in the midst was rather lame.

Having to refill out my entry form because they lost all the on line entries was pretty annoying too. Someone said there was a computer crash. Anyone hear of backing things like that up? So I had no reference pictures for my costume.

THey had photographers at the contest and said that the photos would be posted at some point after the con. They were never posted. The ones I have of me on stage are not very good. Alot of that is the lighting.

But Im with The_Balrog, Im passing this year.

The_Balrog
07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Hear hear on that. I was less than impressed by the way things were handled. After waiting forever and ever, the judges were rude about to me. Said they didnt want to know about my prop, but my costume. Last I checked a prop is part of the costume. They also didnt seem to care. I was unhappy with some of the winners. The family from babalon 5 winning because they had a baby in the midst was rather lame.

Having to refill out my entry form because they lost all the on line entries was pretty annoying too. Someone said there was a computer crash. Anyone hear of backing things like that up? So I had no reference pictures for my costume.

THey had photographers at the contest and said that the photos would be posted at some point after the con. They were never posted. The ones I have of me on stage are not very good. Alot of that is the lighting.

But Im with The_Balrog, Im passing this year.

Totally. I didn't like the way the judging was done. I didn't like how the judges conducted their interview. Didn't help that 2 of the judges I had issues with due to drama from a LOTR fangroup. Its amazing considering they are suppose to be completely neutral. I total didn't agree with the winners since it seemed like another costumer mentioned was that they were all in some way connected with the judges.

I was disappointed to having to redo my entry form and even more pissed that my images I sent were lost aswell. The whole thing was a disaster which was one reason I left shortly after the contest.

I wish they have different judges not people like AlleyCatScratch. The should pick judges who have won, like the group from the Masq (Muppets, Wild Things) or people like Yaya (angelicstar). It should be based on the technical and construction methods not on who you know! That takes the fun out of programing if its just based on who you know not on what you can do.

Plus changing someone's status because they look better or their skill level is higher is very unprofessional. I'm sure someone will argue with me about it but in all honesty the rules stated Masq wins and higher. Not on nonsactioned contest. Which in the judges did. Maybe if the listened to me when I said I had been working on my costume for 2 years they would realise that I was very capable of my work. So yeah, technical and construction , it was all there.
It was embrassing to have to be told before I walk on stage that I was removed from my divison because of the judges. Even more that I got no reason behind or explaination. I felt like I was being singled out. I was in the sense.

Oh well, since my questions went unanswered last year they will once again be lost on this thread. I'll be at the con but far from participating in the contest.

halafax
07-12-2007, 04:50 PM
I cant believe they did that to you. How bloody rude. The judges were all snots about how they asked questions. What the hell did they know about making a costume. I agree get people that know what goes into making a costume...not your buddies.

Ill be passing on this one as well. It was a waste of my time, and a waste of space. You would think the contest people would have had the forethought to maybe post something on the dragon con web site, or even at registration...there is a thought...let the people know a head of time...

Any how The_Balrog if you happen to see gungrave at D*C feel free to say hello. My badge name is the same as my screen name here...

Happy cosplay to all, and good luck to those that enter the contest...

The_Balrog
07-12-2007, 05:38 PM
I cant believe they did that to you. How bloody rude. The judges were all snots about how they asked questions. What the hell did they know about making a costume. I agree get people that know what goes into making a costume...not your buddies.

Ill be passing on this one as well. It was a waste of my time, and a waste of space. You would think the contest people would have had the forethought to maybe post something on the dragon con web site, or even at registration...there is a thought...let the people know a head of time...

Any how The_Balrog if you happen to see gungrave at D*C feel free to say hello. My badge name is the same as my screen name here...

Happy cosplay to all, and good luck to those that enter the contest...

Were you gungrave at D*C 2006?
I was the chick in the ballgown that was airbrushed and had beading all over it. I had a collar with icicles and glitter all over. My friend was dressed as a Slytehrin Student with googles on her head. I remeber talking to a Gungrave with his huge coffin thing. If it was you, HI again.
My badge is The Balrog.

halafax
07-13-2007, 09:04 AM
I remember you!

Yes that was me. Im the only Gungrave at dragon con.

Hello again too...

maybe we can meet up at some point over the weekend and oogle costumes and talk shop...

Hopefully this year there will be some good costumes.

The_Balrog
07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah I'm entering Dawn and vamping some costumes I've already made for D*C. I've just kinda lost interest in making anything new. We'll see. I'm making a Tonks costume for the book event so I might be inspired.

I'm down for talking shop. See ya there :)

halafax
07-13-2007, 11:44 AM
This year has been pretty dry for making costumes. Considering that a good deal of the movies that came out this year were sequels that didnt help. Ive considered a couple of costumes from older movies and games, but I have to work on a few things on me first...

This year has been a real wash on new costume ideas

Well keep in touch and we will figure something out...

crimsonvision
07-24-2007, 02:02 PM
*raises hand*

Count me as another person who entered last year's contest and won't be doing it again.

I'm not even going to go into what I thought was wrong with it.

halafax
07-24-2007, 02:31 PM
How about all of it?

For all the effort I put into my costume and getting glanced over because the judges knew who was going to win pissed me off....

*shrugs*

I call meet up somewhere...

crimsonvision
07-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Well, to be fair the judges were very hard pressed for time. They were being rushed as well yanno. While I don't think ALL of the judges were qualified to make costume decisions I personally know the costuming talents of several of them and they deserved to be judges. Unfortunately the rest of the organization for the contest was crap.

Am I dissapointed I didn't get an award? Sure. Do I think everyone that got awards deserved it? For the most part, yes. Pretty much everyone I saw back there deserved an award. I just think a contest that was supposed to be focused on the FABRICATION of the costume needs to be focused more on the FABRICATION of the costume.

Anyways. I already have a meet up planned for Friday night (which is another reason I was so pissed about wasting time in the contest last year as its a yearly meet up); anyone wants in on Moulin Rouge night we're in the Lobby at 9. ;)

a-tastic
07-24-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm another one that did the contest last year, and shan't be doing it again this year.
I confer with CrimsonVision...I won't even go into details of what went wrong.
Suffice to say, though, that the wait time was ridiculous to a point of where I went immediately back to my hotel room afterwards and took a nap from the exhaustion and constant sweating.

The only upside was getting to meet and chat with all the fantastic people that entered in the show during our hours backstage.

Good luck to those that brave it, though!

halafax
07-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Im there all weekend, so maybe we can, who knows. Though its up to you...Other than being on costume saturday and at some point sunday. Im pretty easy to find...

Let me know if you are game, or not interested...

crimsonvision
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Im there all weekend, so maybe we can, who knows. Though its up to you...Other than being on costume saturday and at some point sunday. Im pretty easy to find...

Let me know if you are game, or not interested...

I'm all for hanging out for a bit and having a drink but as for planning something seperately... 'I'm all booked up!' (Bonus cool points for anyone that knows where that quote comes from!). I'm pretty easy to find as well.

The_Balrog
07-27-2007, 02:58 AM
I plan to spend Friday night with friends and costuming with them. The only contest I have eyes for right now is Dawn.
Friday Night Fabrication is scheduled for this con but we'll see how they execute their schedule this year. Prejudging was a joke cause it really never happened as described. It was kinda in the center of the room with everyone standing around trying to figure out what the heck did they want us to do.
I guess I'm still sore about being placed in a different category with out a reason behind it.
Oh well, I'm hope'n for some shop time with some of you. When it gets closer to con I should have a list of what I plan to bring and wear. Looks like a pirate costume has been added to the list. Fun added to everything else I should be done the night before I leave. LOL.

CienDragon
08-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, to be fair the judges were very hard pressed for time. They were being rushed as well yanno.

No kidding. From what I've heard there were issues of the original pre-judging time not being particularily long and then having the actual usable pre-judging time cut in half because the Tech crew kept moving everyone around. There was barely any time to judge anyone.

Personally, I'm really hoping that it goes better this year and doesn't die because of the bad experiences from last year. I thought that the caliber of costumes in general was very high(much better than the masquerade). I'm really hoping that this year's will be run better and have less things go wrong but who knows.

halafax
08-07-2007, 05:09 PM
They had issues due to losing most of the applications, ok fine, but the tech ppl didnt start showing up til they were supposed to. One of my friends in on the tech ops team. He said they were told hurry up, times up, we need this room.

Meh

Still not going to do it, when I have a costume that doesnt have a ginormous prop, and bakes me to death like a saran wrapped potato Ill do it

Space Invader
08-07-2007, 08:39 PM
From what I've seen on their website (which has been updated, yay!) it definitely looks more organized this year, as opposed to the "last minute event" like it felt like it was last year. They have the online registration form up, in case anyone wants to know - it must be emailed in by the 15th. :)

athena-chan
08-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Prejudging starts at 7pm, the costume contest starts at 8:30.

That just screams train wreck to me. Last year was WAY to rushed and we did wait around forever only to be kinda brushed off when we tried to explain the work that went into our costumes. I was the Red Death Phantom for anyone who was in it last year.

I may enter again this year.... I'm still up in the air about it... but really they need to get their act together for this contest. Both the Dawn and the Mask are so much better run.

CienDragon
08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Prejudging starts at 7pm, the costume contest starts at 8:30.

That just screams train wreck to me.

At least that's longer than last year (prejudging at 7 and contest at 8, although they couldn't actually start pre-judging until after ~7:20 or so)....

athena-chan
08-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Just a note: Metrocon had 75 entries, we had 2 min a piece for prejudging, it still took 4 hours to prejudge and decide the winners.

I believe the fabrications contest last year had a similar turnout. An hour and half is no where near enough time for prejudging.

halafax
08-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Just going by that, the prejudging too 2 and a half hours. If the fabrication contest takes a minute a piece on each entry and there are no more than 90 entries then sure. If there are more entries then they are going to rush through everything while the contestants sit around and try not to bake to death or die of boredom.

Still Im not keen on going back to this contest. I understand there were technical difficulties, but with the time and effort I put into my costume Id like to have said my piece on it, instead of getting told what I was told...

Meh...Im still in debate about this, and the cosplay contest.