PDA

View Full Version : going to Japan and cosplaying

MisatoNpenpen
06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm heading out to Japan after this year's AX.. and I was wondering what kind of information anyone might have for Comiket or World cosplay summit (preferably from experience). I know you can cosplay at comiket and you have to dress there, but I'm not sure about WCS unless you are competing? which.. america isn't even allowed to do, right?
Anyway, I've never been to a con in Japan, and I'd really appreciate any of the information I can get about it! Do you have to buy con passes? (I think you don't but I'm not sure) Also, hotel kind of stuff? I'm basically trying to plan ahead, because most of my friends in Japan don't really know much about the conventions.
I appreciate it! :rockon:

Don Marmoto
06-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi, Im going to Japan for WCS and comiket as well, Im not cosplayer, just cosmaker but I can get you some info since I will go with the mexican team for WCS and I know the organizers. let me ask about those oints cause I also have the doubt, one can participate on the cosplay parade on the OSU district of nagoya held on august 4th and also you can cosplay on the championship event on 5th, but I need to ask how and were can poeple get dress and so.

for comiket, is my firts time there but some frineds told me it is very restricted and crowded, but is a very good spot to show your work, also I heard there is other event that is cool very close to the tokyo big sigth, less retricted.

as soon as I get info about wcs and maybe hotels I will let you know:bigtu:

MisatoNpenpen
06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi, Im going to Japan for WCS and comiket as well, Im not cosplayer, just cosmaker but I can get you some info since I will go with the mexican team for WCS and I know the organizers. let me ask about those oints cause I also have the doubt, one can participate on the cosplay parade on the OSU district of nagoya held on august 4th and also you can cosplay on the championship event on 5th, but I need to ask how and were can poeple get dress and so.

for comiket, is my firts time there but some frineds told me it is very restricted and crowded, but is a very good spot to show your work, also I heard there is other event that is cool very close to the tokyo big sigth, less retricted.

as soon as I get info about wcs and maybe hotels I will let you know:bigtu:

thank you!:geek:

KimaLucifer
06-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Comiket has standards for cosplaying like:

Props cannot be over 1 meter long.
You must register to cosplay (a cosplay registration fee @_@).

If you`re used to American conventions these events will be rather culture shocking since they`re run quite differently.

MisatoNpenpen
06-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Comiket has standards for cosplaying like:

Props cannot be over 1 meter long.
You must register to cosplay (a cosplay registration fee @_@).

If you`re used to American conventions these events will be rather culture shocking since they`re run quite differently.

lol I somehow doubt Japan would be a culture shock to me at all- I don't experience that kind of stuff..
but yeah I read that you can't have anything that 'resembles a weapon' at comiket so I don't really understand how you're supposed to have props at all

KimaLucifer
06-18-2007, 07:05 AM
lol I somehow doubt Japan would be a culture shock to me at all- I don't experience that kind of stuff..
but yeah I read that you can't have anything that 'resembles a weapon' at comiket so I don't really understand how you're supposed to have props at all

Well basically the only "props" allowed are pretty much a BOX. A FFAC cosplay with a Jenova Box = Okay.

I really suggest you go to a different event if you insist on cosplaying full-blown out :D

piinku
06-22-2007, 10:33 PM
There might be better events for it - I think Comiket puts selling comics first, and cosplayers second. But still, there was a great variety of nice costumes when I was there. I took a lot of pictures, and had mine taken a lot too. I think the prop restrictions are nothing larger than 30 cm - I can see that, it was sooo crowded. But I don't really think you'll experience 'culture shock' - there are some differences, like remaining in the cosplay area to take pictures/have yours taken, changing in a room with a hundred other girls/guys, and the extra security/restrictions about where you can go. But I still think you'll have a good time. Culture shock is more something you experience if you're staying in Japan for a long period of time. If you're only here a short time, the newness of it all won't wear off. Culture shock is more what happens when a person has to adjust and adapt to living in a completely different cultural or social environment. And it's Tokyo - every time I go there I'm reminded how much more English the average person speaks and how much more comfortable they are interacting with non-Japanese than the rest of Japan. Respect the rules (as long as they're honest mistakes, they'll understand if you can't speak Japanese) and you'll have a good time.

Other than the heat... I went to winter Comiket, I'm not sure what cosplaying in Tokyo August heat will be like T_T

Have a great time! I don't live in Tokyo but visit there every now and then, PM me if you have any questions :)

Michi
06-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Ooooh, how long will you be in Japan? :D I have to miss Summer Comiket but I'll be there soon after and staying long enough for Winter Comiket. :)

MisatoNpenpen
06-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Ooooh, how long will you be in Japan? :D I have to miss Summer Comiket but I'll be there soon after and staying long enough for Winter Comiket. :)

I got there right after AX and I leave right after comiket!

Thanks for the help so far, I hope this will all go smoothly!!

Michi
06-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Oh darn. XD I don't arrive until August 29.

nadesico81
06-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Hello Every one

Im going to Winter Comiket to cosplay. I have been cosplaying for quite some time and am looking forward to Comiket. I was stationed in Japan for 2 years on the island of Okinawa for the USAF.

I am looking for people to cosplay with and or get together with before or after comiket. I have just bought the plane ticket today to Japan. It will be nice to finaly take some time off.

raygo
07-01-2007, 09:32 PM
any japan convention experts out there? i'm also heading over to japan next month for an extended stay and was wondering if anyone had an event schedule or anything (yokohama or tokyo, anyone?).

AX was a lot of fun this year, and i can only expect more craziness over there.

:bigtu:

Anime's Angel
07-02-2007, 10:07 PM
i heard about dat. i'm going 2 japan 2. i have 2 say um...do u no japanese? it's more fun if u do.

Don Marmoto
07-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I have fresh news about WCS in Nagoya

1. any cosplayer is welcome to participate on the cosplay parade held in Osu festival in Nagoya, they will have a changing room (knowing the japanese cosplay style it should be an open place for each gender like comiket)

2. Cosplayers are welcome on OASIS 21 http://www.sakaepark.co.jp/info.html
to watch the championship, an award to best costume in audience will be given, selected by the WCS staff

we will be there to support the Mexican team :bigtu:

MisatoNpenpen
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I know japanese

Don Marmoto
07-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi MisatoNpenpen

I have some frech news for the WCS

1- everybody is welcome to the cosplay parade to be held in the OSU festival in nagoya on August 4th, besides the teams for the WCS more than 100 cosplayers are expected to be there, there will be a place to change you clothes.

2-For the championship people can come to OASIS 21 the place for WCS, ( is a big hall with a stage) with cosplay, a changing room is available, also the staff of WCS will choose the best cosplay from the audience (no contest held)

I hope to see you there, I will be with the Mexican team, I will use a LUCHA LIBRE mask ;) with the mexican colors :bigtu:

Mebachiko
07-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Wow I didn`t know that everybody can go to the parade... .how is the fastest way to get to Nagoya from Tokyo?? The shinkansen?
Sorry I didn`t open this topic but also have questions :toothy:
I understood that only the `teams` could participate in the WCS...that means that anyone can go and cosplay there also?
How can I get more info (I saw the web of WCS but there is not much info there =( )

--Sorry for the questions...
And this is offtopic but Don Marmoto-san, I`m latinamerican also (se habla espaniol :toothy: ), よろしくね!n_n

C-chan
07-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Dressing rooms in Japan are always separated by gender!!! (looks like you have never been there)

I was attending 3 WCSs so far and my tip is:wear the lightest costume as possible. It's freaking hot here and humid. (for the parade in Osu expect around 35C and humidity around 70-80%)

If you have any other questions about the WCS let me know.

I have fresh news about WCS in Nagoya

1. any cosplayer is welcome to participate on the cosplay parade held in Osu festival in Nagoya, they will have a changing room (knowing the japanese cosplay style it should be an open place for each gender like comiket)

2. Cosplayers are welcome on OASIS 21 http://www.sakaepark.co.jp/info.html
to watch the championship, an award to best costume in audience will be given, selected by the WCS staff

we will be there to support the Mexican team :bigtu:

Hikaru_Claire
07-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Guys! I've been living in Japan for about a year as a student, and I'm coming back the the US very soon, but i did have the experience of cosplaying at Comic City at Tokyo Big Site (same place as Comiket) this past May. The event was mainly for yaoi doujin, but the cosplay event was pretty big, i think. But i disagree with the person who said that there is no culture shock, since I think the difference in cosplay culture is just as huge as Japanese and American culture already is.

For one think, I think my choice of costume affected my experience. I wore my Menos Grande Hollow (BLEACH) but... almost no one seemed to know my costume. even the Bleach cosplayers barely recognized me(-_-;) i think most are fans of the more recent episodes, and the ones who watched from the beginning have already given up on it.....

ANYWAYS, so I got the impression that your face and your body shape are much more highly, um, scrutanized than back in the US (have some love handles? pimples? eh, not so bad. in japan, ohh they care) So since i was wearing a mask and completely covered my body, most seemed to be creeped out. "Why don't you show your face? You have such a nice face! why do you wear such a scary costume?" were some of the comments.

My Austrian friend Flo came with me wearing a DBZ Goku costume he had bought for ~$40 and he was immensely more popular, since he had a good face and good hair (U_U)

Also, people don't glomp (heck, they barely kiss in public here) And even if you speak a decent amount of Japanese, many cosplayers are rather shy and won't say much about thier costumes. Oh and there are more old men with cameras who take pictures of girls in skimpy clothing as a "hobby" (-_-;)
Oh, and Gag costumes (like Salior Bubba or Man Faye) i've not seem much of.

As for taking pictures of cosplayers, the phases "Shashin wo toutte mou ii desu ka?" (しゃしんをとってもいいですか?)as well as asking someone to take YOUR photo "Shashin wo toutte kuremasen ka" (しゃしんをとってくれませんか?)are always handy to remember.

Happy Cosplaying! Enjoy Japan, I hope you survive this humidity (>_<)

Don Marmoto
07-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Dressing rooms in Japan are always separated by gender!!! (looks like you have never been there)

I was attending 3 WCSs so far and my tip is:wear the lightest costume as possible. It's freaking hot here and humid. (for the parade in Osu expect around 35C and humidity around 70-80%)

If you have any other questions about the WCS let me know.

I never been on the WCS, but I have attended smaller cosplay event of Osaka :bigtu: myabe my english was not correct lol

hell I know the weather in Japan after living there for a year, on my apato was so hot that I felt like a sauna, I always felt like I lost some pounds inside the toilet :toothy:

The WCS is almost there, I hope to see somebody there, since I will cover the event I will be with the media, but wearing a wrestler mask with the Mexican colors!!! so please smile when I shoot :angel2:

Gunso
01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Glad there's a thread like this here, in case people think cosplaying in Japan is anything like America ;) ..or if anything relating to anime/gaming in general is similar, for that matter.

One big difference that I noticed as a reverse-culture shock when I returned to the states after living there: the Japanese move from one thing to the next very fast by comparison with america. For example, two years ago some gaijin in Japan asked me where he could find some Inu-yasha stuff. I managed to not laugh at him, since he was new.. but chara goods for it have been hard to find there for years, even though there's plenty for sale in america.

Generally, if it's super popular in America, it's soon to be or already is out of style over there. They don't keep it going as long. I'm sure the Comiket that was just held this past weekend has plenty of Clannad and Touhou cosplayers, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there wasn't a single one from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. (even though last one I went to, CM71/winter 06, it seemed like every other cosplayer was from Haruhi)

I haven't cosplayed at CM, but there are plenty of cosplayers preset. If that's true about having to register to cosplay, it would make sense that there are so many 'hallway' cosplayers just wearing costume as they navigate the crowds to get their doujinshi. I also didn't spend much time on the roof in the cosplay area, since it was just so packed. Those photographers must be pretty skilled to get good shots of people in the middle of such a thick crowd.

Michi
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm sure the Comiket that was just held this past weekend has plenty of Clannad and Touhou cosplayers, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there wasn't a single one from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. (even though last one I went to, CM71/winter 06, it seemed like every other cosplayer was from Haruhi)

I don't think Haruhi has fizzled out just yet in Japan. I saw some Haruhi cosplayers just randomly wandering around Akihabara in September, for a random example. But it's definitely true that the popularity has gone down at least until the anime starts up again. The merchandise section for Haruhi is dwarfed compared to the current big names.

CPOK
01-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Not necessarily true. I saw some old/rare ones there myself at the winter comiket. Its just not very common. some costumes never die. while others fade into obscurity.

There where a couple of Full Metal Panic costumes there for example.

When I get back to Oz, I will upload the pictures I took.

qcobb
04-02-2008, 09:26 PM
wow, if anything this thread has gotten me more confused then anything. It almost seem harder to cosplay in Japan than it is in north america. I was thinking of attending Comiket this summer but now I don't know. I saw a few people mention that other event might be better for cosplaying... what events would that be? I will be in Tokyo in june, july and august... my sistersuggested we just go hang out in akihabara... what do you guys think?

mixaka
04-04-2008, 06:28 AM
It's not necessarily harder, there are just more rules to follow and you usually have to register. If you want to cosplay while in Japan, Comiket would probably be your best bet. There are typically several cosplay meetups a month in Tokyo, but finding them can be a pain, especially if you don't know Japanese. The only one I know of during that time is one on June 22nd at an amusement park about 2-3 hours outside of Tokyo.

When you say 'hang out in akihabara', do you mean you want to cosplay there? Very few people actually cosplay in akihabara so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're ready to get a lot of strange looks.

Gunso
04-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Very few people actually cosplay in akihabara so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're ready to get a lot of strange looks.

Nah, I think they'd just be puzzled why you're not handing out advertisements. :D Most of the part-timers cosplay to get people's attention and then be more likely to take the flyers or tissue packs that they're handing out.

Maids handing out flyers for a newly opened maid cafe don't count. ;) They're a yen a dozen.

I have seen cosplay photo shoots in the middle of the street when it's closed to automobiles on sunday.

FilthyWarumono
04-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Hey! So I've recently come back from a trip to Japan (again) but this time I did alot more, and I'll just post it here for anybody that's interested.

I had originally gone for a GazettE concert, they're a Jrock band/visual kei. So there was an OVERLOAD of Gazetto cosplayers running around on the weekend. I also went because of Harajuku, the fashion district, which also houses a popular bridge where cosplayers gather on Sunday's, mostly Jrock cosplayers and that sort of nature. In other words nobody's dressed up as InuYasha there. xD
On Saturday the entire bridge was filled with the band's cosplayers as I said, and you could see girls wandering around all throughout Harajuku too. Also surrounding the concert hall had soooo many people in costume. Last time I went I saw Dir en grey, and they did the same thing - surrounding the venu everyone had their costumes. They all bring suitcases though, and before the show they often change into normal clothes via the toilet.
We had brought our best costumes to see how we would scale up in Japan. On Sunday we had to get ready in our hotel room which was in Shinjuku, thankfully only wo bus stops away from Harajuku. I did not feel weird wearing my costume out into public though, because alot of the younger people dress up in Loli-styles and VK styles, simply because they're out of school and the weekend is the time to express yourself. I wore my Tsumi to Batsu Kyo costume, which is a huge Kimono I had to sew mostly by hand and paint. >< A few traditional people in real Kimono were impressed with my outfit, and we also got stopped a few times by 'normal' people asking us for pictures.
Once we hit the bridge the fun really started! It gets sooo crowded there. The Japanese liked my costume though, because when I had arrived, they applauded! I was excited. Many many people ask for pictures, cosplayers and non alike. Alot of tourists also go to Harajuku, because it's popular for the style. Many many people Japanese and non thought I was Japanese, due to the exessiveness of my costume and makeup. I understood enough Japanese to speak to them, but as soon as my BRIGHT GREEN EYES made contact with anyone, I got alot of 'Whoa, Amerikaijin desu ne?!' >] I guess that means I pass.
We also spent alot of Sunday shopping, so wandering the streets of Harajuku in our costumes was fun. A few other people were doing it, and we got stopped a few more times by people that didn't know what cosplay was, and just thought I had a spin on my own Kimono.
It was sooooo fun!!! I can't wait to go back.

I'll leave out the rest of my trip since it's not cosplay related, but I just thought I'd share with you guys. ^ ^b

Kazenokibou
04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Hello. I went over the thread, but I'm sorry if I'm mentioning something that has been already.

Last year, Comiket's registration fee was 500 (about 5 bucks..?) And I agree about the Japanese moving on fast with fads (not only anime but with anything). I actually cosplayed in Winter Comiket a year ago as L, and I heard girls whispering in my back "cosplaying as L now?? pffft..." And I also read in the Comiket catalog how somebody cosplayed as Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin, and couple of younger girls came up to her and asked if she was one of the characters from BLEACH. There are exception (like I've seen Yu Yu Hakusho cosplayers recently in Comiket), but it is exception...

Personally I don't see many people cosplay in Akihabara. I see a lot of maids, but I mean they get paid for it. There is a game center in Akihabara where you can borrow cosplay costumes there (last time I saw mainly the new Gundam costumes), and take Purikura.

sarah mudo
05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
This is a very helpful thread. I'll be living in Japan for the summer and I was contemplating brining along some cosplay. Thanks for the info :)

Don Marmoto
05-30-2008, 04:50 AM
good luck for all those who travel to Japan next summer, just keep in mind the terrible hot weather, comiket cosplaying is outdoors and is near the bay, so expect high humidity, other events are indoors with aircon, dunno f this time the TFT event near comiket will be held

Im departig for WCS on July, then comiket, see you there :rockon:

SicAnimeFrek888
06-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey I'm planning my first trip to japan as well, going to TIAF 2010 and would really love some advice on everything !!!!!! This is like a dream trip for me and i really don't want to do anything stupid!! hehe yah know!