PDA

View Full Version : masquerade ball?

Eared Inu Yasha
06-16-2007, 02:46 AM
If a masquerade ball happens this year, what will you guys wear?

Last year the masquerade ball was really fun. My only complaint was that it was too short. But later I found out that the mask was done on very short notice because of a thread about people anticipating it found here on cosplay.com. The info on the onicon website for the masquerade ball was actually for the previous year. But because the onicon staff is awesome like that, they put one together last minute because of the evidence that people were wanting/expecting one.

I look forward to seeing some really cool masks out there inspired by their respective animes. XD

I was considering making a Hitsugaya inspired blue dragon mask. ^_^

Fallen)x(Angel
06-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Masquerade huh? I might check this out if they have it. I didn't go to it last year so I don't know how it was.

SchizoIori
06-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Cherry seemed very adamant on having it this year, but let's see what happens. Hopefully she won't get too bogged down since they dropped it on her last minute last year.

I might make a formal Kimono or something to be "Hisana" if Jonobi wants to use his OVA Byakuya. Otherwise I'm not sure yet.

Lady Saea
06-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Yeah I'll probably use my OVA Byakuya and make a hollow-esque mask with a cherryblossom theme.

Eared Inu Yasha
06-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Aw that would be awsome I would love to see a Byakuya with a Hisana! ^__^

On a random note I saw a coin purse with bananas all over it and thought of him because of that silly soul society omake. XD

Whatever happens this year, they simply must play labyrinth music again! That totally made my night!

Cat-Chans
06-18-2007, 05:20 AM
well...I will have the Quincy Princess dress
I'm sure I can come up with a mask to go with it

Ludger03
06-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Hmm..since im going as Hao asakura (shaman king) for This Oni, I can make the dress he wears at the end of the manga. (its where Manta dreams of him as girl O.0)
That be cool and weird. tho i have an idea for the mask so will see ^^

benihime
07-03-2007, 04:32 AM
totally going to have feathered mask as yumichika XD yes yes. possibly a rainbow-butterfly yukata? o.O

Malicious
07-03-2007, 03:35 PM
i've been to 9 cons and never attended a masquerade ball. hmmm..... is it necessary to make a mask for the ball?

Melodious Nocturne
08-24-2007, 08:34 AM
i will be making a Demyx cosplay for the ball! ^^

Raven382
08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
which day is it on, i might go but first i would have to make a mask.

Melodious Nocturne
08-24-2007, 09:07 PM
which day is it on, i might go but first i would have to make a mask.

i dont know! you could check the website! if you find out what day is is and what time! plz tell me! because my computer does not let me on the oni-con site TT____TT

Raven382
08-25-2007, 02:15 PM
i dont know! you could check the website! if you find out what day is is and what time! plz tell me! because my computer does not let me on the oni-con site TT____TT

ya mine was doing that to, i tried agin today and it finally let me on, so far it doesent look like they have a time set yet.

Melodious Nocturne
08-25-2007, 06:59 PM
ya mine was doing that to, i tried agin today and it finally let me on, so far it doesent look like they have a time set yet.

k thanks! ^^ i'm can't wait to go though~ X3

sylphkeeper
08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
sadly enough, i've never been to a masque before, so is it basically a dance with masks?

Danzikumaru
08-31-2007, 12:05 AM

I wouldn't even wager this is happening this year. No updates at all on the website and the cosplay director has been quiet for months...

sylphkeeper
09-19-2007, 12:19 PM
awww, sad. it sounds like a lot of fun too.

rabidfanboy
09-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm gonna be really bummed if this did end up falling through the cracks. ;_;

Lady Saea
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I've talked with the cosplay director as I am on her staff and this is a confirmed event for Oni-con 2007.

Danzikumaru
09-22-2007, 04:32 PM
I've talked with the cosplay director as I am on her staff and this is a confirmed event for Oni-con 2007.

Confirmed, yes, but there still isn't any info on it. Not here, not on the website, and not on the forums.

sylphkeeper
09-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, on the assumption that this is in fact happening, I'm making a special Artbook version of Hikaru fomr Magic Knight Rayearth for the masque. I'm looking forward to it!

Lady Saea
09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I apologize for the lack of information. We're working on getting some posted.

But trust me that this is happening 100%. We're working out the details on all of the cosplay events.

sylphkeeper
09-28-2007, 12:05 PM
We know you guys are busy ^^. Thanks for the update, and good luck with the planning!

Danzikumaru
09-29-2007, 02:59 AM
I apologize for the lack of information. We're working on getting some posted.

But trust me that this is happening 100%. We're working out the details on all of the cosplay events.

Then why not post information as it becomes available? The post doesn't need to be 100% final before it gets to the masses, just enough information so we know what the hell is going on. Masquerade, panels, and especially contest info is REALLY important, and holding off on posting anything until less than a month before the convention has been a real mark against Oni-con cosplay, imho. I speak like this only because I know how great Cherry and her staff are at this, and this slump in quality is really disheartening.

Cherry
09-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Then why not post information as it becomes available? The post doesn't need to be 100% final before it gets to the masses, just enough information so we know what the hell is going on. Masquerade, panels, and especially contest info is REALLY important, and holding off on posting anything until less than a month before the convention has been a real mark against Oni-con cosplay, imho. I speak like this only because I know how great Cherry and her staff are at this, and this slump in quality is really disheartening.

Actually this year there has been some major reconstruction of how Cosplay will be handled at Oni-Con for a very long time. A huge slew of forum posts will be appearing over the next couple of days.

The only delay was that we were waiting to see if a few guests were signing for either this year, or next as we were intending to have special programming set around them, but alas that will have to wait until next year. There have been some changes in Oni-Con's power structure this year, and a lot of reorganization to insure it isn't so chaotic, as we have a fantastic space to use and need to better utilize it.

In the mean time, Cosplay Staff for Oni-Con has moved from being 3 people doing everything to in the neighborhood of 20 people, with various events delegated to each person to insure that no events get neglected, understaffed, or given less attention.

This year we WILL be having a Masquerade Ball, Cosplay Contest, LOTS of Panels, New guests to be announced withing the week, and an all new Fashion Show that will be REALLY interesting.

Also, this year Masquerade Ball is going to have it's own full staff that are all bringing lots of ideas to the table, so don't worry everyone.

While we've neglected to make any forum posts, it's mostly because each of Gren and I's staff are being handed various tasks, and being allowed creative input as I wanted to appeal to the needs of all the cosplayers, and wanted to get people that heard the various complaints around the convention. Also, most things do not begin to fall in place with a convention until closer to the event, and we did not want to make any unconfirmed announcements to confuse anyone.

We've been meeting weekly for some time, insuring that this Oni-Con will not fall prey to the -stupid- and inexcusable mistakes that we made last year, for which I greatly apologize for. However, there's no way in hell that we'll be dropping the ball this time around.

Check in on the Oni-Con forums over this week, as a lot will be going on there. I'll link the threads here on Cosplay.Com when they are up.

I was just going to go ahead and start posting on the forums but I wanted to make sure everyone knew that Danzig's doubts were nothing to worry over. I apologize for it being slow, but as the last two masquerade balls have been a total splat I really wanted to take extra measures this year to insure that NOTHING was ignored this year.

If you have any questions regarding Oni-Con's Cosplay Programming, including Ball, Contest, Fashion Show, Panels, Guests, Rules, or more then please feel free to PM me.

Also, we'll be having some new systems for finding your way around the convention, new cosplay policies, a cosplay repair station FINALLY, a cosplay help-desk with constant updated information, and much more. Also we'll be posting all of these new policies up within the next week as well.

Danzikumaru
10-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Actually this year there has been some major reconstruction of how Cosplay will be handled at Oni-Con for a very long time. A huge slew of forum posts will be appearing over the next couple of days.

The only delay was that we were waiting to see if a few guests were signing for either this year, or next as we were intending to have special programming set around them, but alas that will have to wait until next year. There have been some changes in Oni-Con's power structure this year, and a lot of reorganization to insure it isn't so chaotic, as we have a fantastic space to use and need to better utilize it.

In the mean time, Cosplay Staff for Oni-Con has moved from being 3 people doing everything to in the neighborhood of 20 people, with various events delegated to each person to insure that no events get neglected, understaffed, or given less attention.

This year we WILL be having a Masquerade Ball, Cosplay Contest, LOTS of Panels, New guests to be announced withing the week, and an all new Fashion Show that will be REALLY interesting.

Also, this year Masquerade Ball is going to have it's own full staff that are all bringing lots of ideas to the table, so don't worry everyone.

While we've neglected to make any forum posts, it's mostly because each of Gren and I's staff are being handed various tasks, and being allowed creative input as I wanted to appeal to the needs of all the cosplayers, and wanted to get people that heard the various complaints around the convention. Also, most things do not begin to fall in place with a convention until closer to the event, and we did not want to make any unconfirmed announcements to confuse anyone.

We've been meeting weekly for some time, insuring that this Oni-Con will not fall prey to the -stupid- and inexcusable mistakes that we made last year, for which I greatly apologize for. However, there's no way in hell that we'll be dropping the ball this time around.

Check in on the Oni-Con forums over this week, as a lot will be going on there. I'll link the threads here on Cosplay.Com when they are up.

I was just going to go ahead and start posting on the forums but I wanted to make sure everyone knew that Danzig's doubts were nothing to worry over. I apologize for it being slow, but as the last two masquerade balls have been a total splat I really wanted to take extra measures this year to insure that NOTHING was ignored this year.

If you have any questions regarding Oni-Con's Cosplay Programming, including Ball, Contest, Fashion Show, Panels, Guests, Rules, or more then please feel free to PM me.

Also, we'll be having some new systems for finding your way around the convention, new cosplay policies, a cosplay repair station FINALLY, a cosplay help-desk with constant updated information, and much more. Also we'll be posting all of these new policies up within the next week as well.

Feel free to disregard the post you quoted. Wasn't exactly in the right state of mind to be posting things like that. I look forward to the changes being made.

sylphkeeper
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks so much for the update, Cherry! We totally appreciate the work you guys are putting into this, and we look forward to the updates!

Morigor
10-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Ok this may sound totally noobish, but how does a Masquerade work? Ive never been to one :( Would someone be so kind as to explain whats required as far as costumes or masks go? I'd love to attend it!

BlueRose
10-02-2007, 05:26 PM
From what I know: The Masquerade is a costume showcase and competition; and is a great opportunity to show off that costume you've been working on for months. The time limit for the Masquerade is 1 minute, so it's more focused on costumes as opposed to lengthy skits. The "Masquerade" is a 4-class system, although, I'm not sure how Oni-Con is planning to handle the divisions, age groups, and so forth. If you have any special introduction for the MC to read, please have it typed or printed clearly so it can be easily read. Without an introduction, the MC will announce only your entry number, division and title at the beginning of your presentation. After your presentation is complete, general credits will be announced.

Documentation can include any pictorial representation of your costume. Provide copies only; do not bring originals. It is strongly recommended that you provide documentation for re-creation costume entries if you feel the Judges may not be familiar with a particular Anime/Manga. If you are entering your costume for workmanship judging, bring two copies of your documentation.

I'm pretty sure all contestants must register at the Masquerade Registration Desk Friday, although most cons hold the masquerades on Saturday nights...sometimes spots are limited, so it's best to sign up ASAP!

Hope that helps. :)

rabidfanboy
10-02-2007, 05:49 PM
That's a good description of the masquerade costume contest.

The masquerade ball though is simply a ballroom style dance (or rave depending on how they run it) with an emphasis on ballroom style clothing and masquerade masks. Generally people adapt their favorite costume/character to fit the theme (usually just adding a mask to the costume) or they'll make an elegant type outfit for the ball. I've seen some really creative masks made that really tied in with the character people were cosplaying.

Lady Saea
10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Err. What Gordon/RabidFanBoy said. lol Pretty much sums it up. :D

keriko
10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
yay! this will be my first go at this. I plan on bringing EGL Allen and hopefully Saejima will be there as EGA Rhode. ^_^

Hee-Hee
10-04-2007, 09:01 PM
I might pull something together for Andy and hit the Masque. up with Judy. ^^

Cherry
10-06-2007, 01:01 PM
http://www.oni-con.com/forum/cosplay/933
General Cosplay Information!

http://www.oni-con.com/forum/masquerade/934
Masquerade Ball Information!

Cherry
10-06-2007, 02:30 PM
From what I know: The Masquerade is a costume showcase and competition; and is a great opportunity to show off that costume you've been working on for months. The time limit for the Masquerade is 1 minute, so it's more focused on costumes as opposed to lengthy skits. The "Masquerade" is a 4-class system, although, I'm not sure how Oni-Con is planning to handle the divisions, age groups, and so forth. If you have any special introduction for the MC to read, please have it typed or printed clearly so it can be easily read. Without an introduction, the MC will announce only your entry number, division and title at the beginning of your presentation. After your presentation is complete, general credits will be announced.

Documentation can include any pictorial representation of your costume. Provide copies only; do not bring originals. It is strongly recommended that you provide documentation for re-creation costume entries if you feel the Judges may not be familiar with a particular Anime/Manga. If you are entering your costume for workmanship judging, bring two copies of your documentation.

I'm pretty sure all contestants must register at the Masquerade Registration Desk Friday, although most cons hold the masquerades on Saturday nights...sometimes spots are limited, so it's best to sign up ASAP!

Hope that helps. :)

Masquerade BALL is a dance, Masquerade (The Main Cosplay Competetion) is the contest. <3. Just clarifying. Also, these are not the exact rules of the cosplay competetion. Please check the Oni-Con forums for the Masquerade (Cosplay Comptetion) specific thread to get more information as it becomes posted.

sylphkeeper
10-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I was wondering about the exact time of the masquerade...The page said that it would be Friday night. I was just wondering if a time has been set yet? I 'm actually just concerned about it running at the same time as the rave...

P.S. Thanks for the updates, Cherry!

Cherry
10-10-2007, 03:40 AM
There isn't a rave on Friday. The huge rave is on Saturday evening. Friday night is a concert for those wanting faster music, and I believe there will be a pit for dancing and having it out. Not sure yet about that one.

Friday night the masquerade ball is written down as 9:00pm.

At 8:00pm, there will be a panel room with mask decorating while the room is prepared.

sylphkeeper
10-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Madara-sama
10-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Aww, I was gonna head to the con at 9pm Friday night :-/

But I doubt anyone'd wanna see a Tobi at a Masquerade Ball :-P No need to add a mask to THAT costume, eh? ;)