PDA

View Full Version : "With your drill, thrust to the sky!" Gurren lagann Cosplay

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Zell Chan
06-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Oh my god, I love this series.

Started on a Yoko cosplay today, totally dont have the body for it, but my love of large props and kickass gainax women has overpowered my greater sense of asthecisim.

Please tell me I wont be the only Lagann cosplayer out there in the universe, let's do this the only way we can- BY UNITING!

will [ishida]
06-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I am going to do Ailack for AX. Outfit is almost TOO simple, but I love his character from the TWO lines he's spoken.

I'm just hoping that he & Zoushi become a bit more important soon, since they were all but forgotten after episode 8 ;_;.

accelagirl
06-18-2007, 11:15 AM
;_;

~~

i was contemplating a Nia outfit, but that's as soon as i figure out what the heck is going on with her hair

Varnani
06-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, if you're current, Nia's hair gets easier...^^;

Luna
06-18-2007, 03:26 PM
;_;

~~

i was contemplating a Nia outfit, but that's as soon as i figure out what the heck is going on with her hair

SAME PROBLEM!!!!! I started on Nia cosplay for my Chibi, and now she gets a haircut!!! Doooooooh! But I guess we could bring two wigs for AX - short and long version, lol. In a way short version is better, cause she doesn't have her bling blingy flower. XD.

Aaaaaaaaand I am working on Viral for AX - ugly hands and all...
XD. FEAR ME!

HybridTwist
06-18-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm actually thinking of doing Kamina sometime later this year. More or less, I'd probably get it done in time for like Ani-Magic is my guess.

Gowa-chan
06-18-2007, 08:53 PM
My friends and I are considering putting together a group for AX08...we'll see how it goes.

And although I'd probably be our Yoko if we do pull together this group, I WANNA MAKE ADIANE'S COSTUME SO BADLY.

accelagirl
06-19-2007, 08:30 AM
SAME PROBLEM!!!!! I started on Nia cosplay for my Chibi, and now she gets a haircut!!! Doooooooh! But I guess we could bring two wigs for AX - short and long version, lol. In a way short version is better, cause she doesn't have her bling blingy flower. XD.

Aaaaaaaaand I am working on Viral for AX - ugly hands and all...
XD. FEAR ME!

VIRAL YOU SAY~? 8-] [STALKING MODE.. ON!]

I liked the bling blingy flower! :toothy: It was so cute.

kabuki_ikenie
06-19-2007, 09:15 AM
just because i'm insane, i'm doing a kamina costume

yes, nia's hair gets easier (and cuter)... it's just me or nia looks better with short hair?

will [ishida]
06-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Nia is SO much more adorable with short hair.

It'd be sweet to organize the entire DaiGurren-dan (http://www.gurren-lagann.net/chara/daigurren.html) sometime in the future...

Luna
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
VIRAL YOU SAY~? 8-] [STALKING MODE.. ON!]

I liked the bling blingy flower! :toothy: It was so cute.

LOL! I'll stalk MYSELF!!! I love Viral, he's such a dork, he needs to go and join good guys soon. Seriously.

accelagirl
06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
LOL! I'll stalk MYSELF!!! I love Viral, he's such a dork, he needs to go and join good guys soon. Seriously.

For reals.

....And then go hunt down some sort of... long lost twin sister, or daughter, or something of Adiane's and make her join the Gurren-dan. ~*__*~

Luna
06-19-2007, 02:21 PM
For reals.

....And then go hunt down some sort of... long lost twin sister, or daughter, or something of Adiane's and make her join the Gurren-dan. ~*__*~

Totally! Deal is - for her to wear Adiane's outfit, cause its pure love!!!! I love that design - scorpion tail and all!!!

Gowa-chan
07-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Heheh.
I'm uber glad I have a summer job right now, otherwise I would be crying.
Today I spent $130 getting all the supplies to make Adiane's kimono. I'll probably be starting on it as soon as I finally unpack from AX (my sewing kit is buried amongst the AX stuff.) Next week (after my paychecklol) I'll be getting the supplies for her corset and such. Now, I watched the episodes she is in A BAJILLION TIMES and could NOT find a decent backshot! I've done rough sketch outs of what I think the back of her corset looks like (which I plan on doing as I have it drawn) but the circle/string thing she wears has me a bit confused...I've sketched out a couple of ideas of it...I think I'll be going with the top right sketch, but any input would be great! (my sketch out of her costume pieces is attached)
But yes, Adiane will be done by August 18th or bust for the Socal gathering :3

Oh, and Luna? I saw your Viral at AX! It made me happy that I ran into you a couple of times (I even saw you and Nia in the boat and snapped a picture! I totally didn't realize there was a Nia with you at the time, as I could barely tell it was you, since my contacts were screwing my eyes up so badly xD )

winwood
07-25-2007, 01:05 PM
i was wondering how to go about making yoko's skull hair piece,.

would fimo or something like that work?

kabuki_ikenie
07-25-2007, 02:40 PM
yes, i guess fimo or paper clay would work. i was thinking that fun foam can work too.

korov
07-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Fimo or sculpey would work, paper clay is a little too flimsy for me. I used sculpey for mine though.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1194330

Loran Cehack
07-25-2007, 06:48 PM
My friend Corey is planning on working out and getting in shape to do a Kamina cosplay... if he manages this, I'll do Simon for him. Kaminas with the right build are unfortunately rare.

winwood
07-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Fimo or sculpey would work, paper clay is a little too flimsy for me. I used sculpey for mine though.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1194330

ace! i thought i'd check first before attempting to make it.

Luna
07-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Oh, and Luna? I saw your Viral at AX! It made me happy that I ran into you a couple of times (I even saw you and Nia in the boat and snapped a picture! I totally didn't realize there was a Nia with you at the time, as I could barely tell it was you, since my contacts were screwing my eyes up so badly xD )

You are my HERO for cosplaying Adiane!!! That costume is so gorgeous and sexy and she's so bad ass...yay!
Haha, that's so funny that you saw me in a boat at AX! I think I remember a couple of people recognizing us during that ride, I thought it was hilarious, because I only had like 3 people recognize me during the entire Con and 2 of them were during the boat ride! Do you have the picture you took of us by any chance? I wanted to take some crack shot of Nia/Viral riding the boat together, but none of my friends were around.

Gowa-chan
07-30-2007, 11:12 PM
You are my HERO for cosplaying Adiane!!! That costume is so gorgeous and sexy and she's so bad ass...yay!
Haha, that's so funny that you saw me in a boat at AX! I think I remember a couple of people recognizing us during that ride, I thought it was hilarious, because I only had like 3 people recognize me during the entire Con and 2 of them were during the boat ride! Do you have the picture you took of us by any chance? I wanted to take some crack shot of Nia/Viral riding the boat together, but none of my friends were around.

:D
I'm looking forward to wearing this costume so much. Right now I have to make her tail, tattoo/eyepatch, make her circle+string thing, and style her wig for the big things, and then make sure I have the makeup stuff I need for her to be done.

And yes! I do have that picture! (i just have to dig it off of my external harddrive since my computer died xP )
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1202853

Usk
07-31-2007, 04:01 PM
I think that fimo would do fine, but maybe plastic would look better?

Luna
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
And yes! I do have that picture! (i just have to dig it off of my external harddrive since my computer died xP )
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1202853

Thanks for the pic! My friends came up with the caption for it, lol.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1203695

Good luck on your Adiane!!!

Gowa-chan
08-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the pic! My friends came up with the caption for it, lol.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1203695

Good luck on your Adiane!!!

haahahahah xD
LOVELY postcard!!

Thanks! tattoo, tail, and wig are left!

Gowa-chan
08-20-2007, 11:55 PM
What, no posting love for Gurren Lagann?
Oh well, I'll give it love.
I wore Adiane on Saturday, and barring the complete failure of my tattoo that made me run around without one, I had a blast wearing her :D
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1229207
thats the only picture I have up so far, since my friend is ever so kindly shopping tattoos onto some for me xD

Tenshiryuu
08-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Need teh Gurren group pics! This picnic really made me wish my camera hadn't died.....I'm roping even more people into Gurren cosplay.

Oshi
08-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Love this show so much. I plan on cosplaying multiple iterations of Simon...
Commander and Post-Prison (as seen in ep 21) to start, GARlock (future ver with that awesome cloak) whenever the next timejump happens and there's better reference.
Thusfar, I only have the wig (see gallery), and the sash for Commander outfit.

Eva Xgouki
08-28-2007, 03:27 AM
Gurren-Lagann....FTW!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
I was thinking about doing a Kamina cosplay, but I just don't have the body to pull it off well...>_>
So I hope to get started on a Commander Simon cosplay in the immediate future. Need to poke around for good images and see what he wears under that jacket of his. Or I was thinking of waiting to see what else he wears (as I just watched 22 and the preview looks like he may have a new outfit or something).
Oh, and I think I saw you and Nia at AOD 07 Luna :)

Luna
08-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Gurren-Lagann....FTW!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
I was thinking about doing a Kamina cosplay, but I just don't have the body to pull it off well...>_>
So I hope to get started on a Commander Simon cosplay in the immediate future. Need to poke around for good images and see what he wears under that jacket of his. Or I was thinking of waiting to see what else he wears (as I just watched 22 and the preview looks like he may have a new outfit or something).
Oh, and I think I saw you and Nia at AOD 07 Luna :)

Just finished epic episode 22 - man, I mean...can it get even more epic!!! Its like every episode - its better and better!!!
Oh yeah...at AOD we were sure more popular then at AX, I only had a handfull of people who knew who were were cosplaying, at AOD it a lot of people knew who we were. That's awesome! My little fandom all grown up! Haha!

Oshi
09-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Uhhh yeahhh... Bumping because we just got a whole slew of new outfits from episode 23. Chouginga Dai Gurren Dan is go!

And 'Garlock' Simon (http://teh-oshi.net/stuff/snapshot20070902023128.jpg) is revealed. I am all over that shit.

Varnani
09-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Um, wow, Simon's hair got rather large suddenly. >_>;

Viral in blue?? I'm so sad. D'X

Oh, yeah, hi I watch Gurren Lagann too.

Oshi
09-03-2007, 02:34 AM
Um, wow, Simon's hair got rather large suddenly. >_>;
I think that's just the wind.

Why there is wind in space, I'll just skip on questioning.

kabuki_ikenie
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
i have to see ep23!! i saw some screencaps and i *relatively* like the new costumes (why yoko? WHY are you weating that... um... "thing"?)

next weekend i'm going to be wearing simon's prisoner costume, cos one of my cosplay buddies went bollocks with ep21 and he really wants to be viral... i made both costumes in one week!!

and i have a friend that will go as young simon when i go as kamina :D!

Varnani
09-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I think that's just the wind.

Why there is wind in space, I'll just skip on questioning.

An interesting point you bring up.

Er, anywho, why does Yoko have starfish on her chest now? :/

Oshi
09-03-2007, 04:12 PM
next weekend i'm going to be wearing simon's prisoner costume

Nice, hahah. I'm workin' on that too. I need more light and easy to wear costumes like that, so I jumped on it.

I gotta ask though, what did you do for the construction of the pants? The way the lighter color is where the button and zipper would normally be leaves me scratching my head on putting the damn thing on.

ph1shf00d
09-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh geez, this show is made purely of win and god. It's like the source of all win in the entire universe. *_*

I would sell my house to be able to do Kamina. If I work out (like... TONS XD) I could get the build, but the binding might be a problem. So for now, it's like the "impossible cosplay" for me.

I'll settle for Pre and post TJ Simon and Rossiu. =3

kabuki_ikenie
09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Nice, hahah. I'm workin' on that too. I need more light and easy to wear costumes like that, so I jumped on it.

I gotta ask though, what did you do for the construction of the pants? The way the lighter color is where the button and zipper would normally be leaves me scratching my head on putting the damn thing on.

check out the pic on the attachment... from the screnshots i managed to get i found out that the pants and the bootcovers are one piece, and the pants have no zipper... so i used an universal sportswear pattern, that why my pants have an elastic band at the waist (the armor is semi-attached to the waist)

the other detail i found is that the pants get tighter at the knee area (sort of bootleg pant)

Luna
09-04-2007, 02:20 PM
check out the pic on the attachment... from the screnshots i managed to get i found out that the pants and the bootcovers are one piece, and the pants have no zipper... so i used an universal sportswear pattern, that why my pants have an elastic band at the waist (the armor is semi-attached to the waist)

the other detail i found is that the pants get tighter at the knee area (sort of bootleg pant)

Oh wow, that looks pretty good!
I thought they were wearing some sort of cowboy pants in prison. Haha. I dunno, with all those outfits changes - I personally prefer Viral's first outift, this blue thing they put him in in ep 23 is just something horrid, wonder if Leeron had anything to do with this, haha.

Varnani
09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
It's totally all Leeron's fault.

kabuki_ikenie
09-04-2007, 03:19 PM
It's totally all Leeron's fault.

i ABSOLUTELY agree... but i do like the old-school spandex look XDD with the exception of yoko's

and thanks luna :D i want to take some pics at my house today...

Robots
09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm planning to do pre-timeskip Viral sometime in the future (most likely for Katsucon '08), anyone have suggestions on how to do his beastyhands?

It's the only thing I can't really think of a decent way to make ;;

Luna
09-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm planning to do pre-timeskip Viral sometime in the future (most likely for Katsucon '08), anyone have suggestions on how to do his beastyhands?

It's the only thing I can't really think of a decent way to make ;;

Just buy them, thats what I did with mine. Since its for 2008 cosplay, you can check local Halloween stores when they are open.

Le Rikki
09-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I just recently started working on a Kamina costume for this upcoming Sakura Con and I am wondering.. what should I make the glasses out of? @_@ I am so lost!

kabuki_ikenie
09-07-2007, 05:33 PM
acrylic is your best bet... it worked for me ;)

Gowa-chan
09-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Dang.
I wasn't planning on starting Timeskip-Yoko until after winter break, but here I am with most of the supplies xD
Goodthing I DO plan on having Yomako-sensei done this fall, since I have all of the cloth for her, can use Adiane's shoes, and just need to order the wig, then raid the reading glasses at target XD

zigcat
09-07-2007, 10:07 PM
crimsonGOJYO (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1226893) owned Yoko at the socal summer gathering. The GL group there (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1226898) was really good for the most part.

Gowa-chan
09-08-2007, 04:01 AM
crimsonGOJYO (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1226893) owned Yoko at the socal summer gathering. The GL group there (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1226898) was really good for the most part.

I'm so glad we had a good group of GL there! I was happy that I wasn't an Adiane just running around alone-I even got to take some viral abuse pictures!!!
Which I still need to post xP

Oshi
10-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Bumping for 1) My own progress: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1282878
2) MOURNING THE END OF OUR EPIC SERIES T__T

KaineMaxwell
10-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Nice job with the hair!

stafffighter
10-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Working on a Pre-time skip Kiyal right now and hopefully by Katsu I should have a Post time skip Kiyal finished.

SailorAnime
10-02-2007, 01:28 AM
I have pre-Time skip Viral about half way done....hopefully, I can walk the fine line between badassery and moe -_-...

Lamp
10-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Pft. Pre-timeskip Virals? It takes a real man to wear blue spandex, and I'm going to do it.

Oshi
10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Pft. Pre-timeskip Virals? It takes a real man to wear blue spandex, and I'm going to do it.
YES. Very nice.

Also, Post-Prison Simon pretty much finished, piece pics in gallery. Full shots to come after MangaNEXT this weekend.

ROH ROH FIGHT DA POWAH

Muze
10-04-2007, 12:49 PM
YES. Very nice.

Also, Post-Prison Simon pretty much finished, piece pics in gallery. Full shots to come after MangaNEXT this weekend.

ROH ROH FIGHT DA POWAH

Oshi, how you plan on doing his star glasses at the end?

Oshi
10-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Actually I still think they're kinda stupid, so I might not bother with them. >.>

And, yeah: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1288543
Now to start Commander version.

Urya
10-08-2007, 12:43 PM
We were able to make our debut at Abunai! 2007, down here in Holland.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1289109

SailorAnime
10-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Actually I still think they're kinda stupid, so I might not bother with them. >.>

But the epicness.... D:

Muze
10-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Just got back from Ani Magic, did post prison and epi 1 garlock simon while ten did beat up viral. Gawa+ ten decide to drag us to masquerade 5 hour before it start so we did something like post time skit viral trying to save pre time skit viral type of thing. Gawa won the intermidea craftmentship award for her adeinae~

Dante Rebellion
10-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I wore a Kamina costume that I made in 3 hours and for $20 at Ani-Magic that I had decided to do on Thursday before I left for Ani-Magic. I had fun. I had neither the perfect body or wig, my cape was askew, my pants were weird, and I could barely see through my sunglasses, but I didn't care. Haha.

I love this show so much and Kamina is literally my favorite character of all time period! For PMX I shall do a much better version of Kamina so it should be pretty fun. I want to do this hugely epic version of Kamina that I posted in an attachment. See that? That is the most GAR looking version of Kamina ever. So awesome.

What kind of acrylic did you use for your glasses kabuki_ikenie? Where do you get and such? I used a plastic clipboard and clear red model paint and I was told to use clear packaging plastic and red cellophane for my next iteration of them.

Varnani
10-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm sad because I was there all the days and I didn't see you at all.

I saw(and met up with) Muze and his friends, though. 8D

Dymatrex
10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm really hoping to cosplay Kamina in the following months. As in, before the year is over.

Just need to figure out how to make those glasses of his and what material to use to do so...

Eva Xgouki
10-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Quick question...where are all of you getting your Core Drills? I've been trying to figure out if I had to make one or if I could purchase a decent one for my Post-Time Skip Commander Simon cosplay.

Oshi
10-09-2007, 08:59 AM
My first Core Drill was made of sculpey; http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1284216
It's kinda oversized as I used the entire pack, heh.

My new one is going to light up... so the bit will be cast out of hot glue, and the top part that houses the electronics... Well I'm not entirely sure yet. Still figuring what to make that part out of so I'll be able to replace the batteries >.>

Shiroake
10-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I love this show; I'm going to try Viral..but I don't know which costume yet (I'm likin the blue spandex XD)

niphrodel
10-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I still cannot decide which version of Viral I want to do first!

Right now it's looking like his FABULOUS blue Galactic Gurren Dan uniform :3

niphrodel
10-09-2007, 05:57 PM
I love this show; I'm going to try Viral..but I don't know which costume yet (I'm likin the blue spandex XD)
Haha oh geez, I'm not the only one then!!

Shiroake
10-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Haha oh geez, I'm not the only one then!!

XDD <333 I saw a fanart and liked it best...we could be twins! Scary, angry, LOVED twins >_>

niphrodel
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
XDD <333 I saw a fanart and liked it best...we could be twins! Scary, angry, LOVED twins >_>

DON'T FORGET MOE. SO MOE I COULD DIE!

Shiroake
10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
DON'T FORGET MOE. SO MOE I COULD DIE!

YEP! THAT'S RIGHT.

Gowa-chan
10-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Hey guys! I wore Adiane again this weekend at Ani-Magic, and had a blast. I joined up with Muze, Tenshiryuu, and ceruleandraco for a last minute skit, and although people couldn't hear us (you can just barely hear us in the video (http://www.acparadise.com/vid/2135)) we managed to win best intermediate craftsmanship for our group :D

niphrodel
10-10-2007, 05:40 PM
So, to all you Viral cosplayers out there, how do you pull off his teeth? I've been looking around online at SFX teeth sets, which suprisingly aren't TOO expensive (like 50 bucks, where I was fearing they'd be up closer to 100)

So far, the Gremlin Teeth (http://screamteamorder.stores.yahoo.net/gremlinteeth.html) and the Darkness Teeth (http://screamteamorder.stores.yahoo.net/darkness.html) both look like possibilities. What do you guys think?

I'll have to bleach the yellowness out of them, since Virals teeth, while sharp, are not rotten <_<

niphrodel
10-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Quick question...where are all of you getting your Core Drills? I've been trying to figure out if I had to make one or if I could purchase a decent one for my Post-Time Skip Commander Simon cosplay.

Seconding what Oshi said, Sculpey works. You could also fool around with Model Magic.

Shiroake
10-10-2007, 10:40 PM
So, to all you Viral cosplayers out there, how do you pull off his teeth? I've been looking around online at SFX teeth sets, which suprisingly aren't TOO expensive (like 50 bucks, where I was fearing they'd be up closer to 100)

So far, the Gremlin Teeth (http://screamteamorder.stores.yahoo.net/gremlinteeth.html) and the Darkness Teeth (http://screamteamorder.stores.yahoo.net/darkness.html) both look like possibilities. What do you guys think?

I'll have to bleach the yellowness out of them, since Virals teeth, while sharp, are not rotten <_<

I wasn't sure what I was gonna do with Viral's teeth..probably try to make some plaster thing to stuff in my mouth; but these ideas look better! ...and cheaper and less toxic >_> lol The Gremlin Teeth look closer I think. (Bleeeeaching them definately however)

SailorAnime
10-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I found some professional grade Monster teeth at a local Halloween store. That was a surprisingly lucky find though =/

Muze
10-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Easiest way, paint the edges of your teeth black.

KaZzu
10-11-2007, 11:27 AM

With help from Kabuki_ikenie, I made my Core Drill from cardboard and fun foam.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1286500
Cardboard base with the foam wrapped around it. The only hard part is getting the shape of the foam right so that it wraps around nicely.

niphrodel
10-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Easiest way, paint the edges of your teeth black.

...I'm not seeing how that would work.

Either way I'll keep paint out of my mouth kthx O_o

Oshi
10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Well no, wait, he may be on to something there. There's some kinda 'dental makeup' that they use to black out teeth...

Muze
10-11-2007, 02:32 PM
...I'm not seeing how that would work.

Either way I'll keep paint out of my mouth kthx O_o
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/1530149579_8f78166bb4.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/1530197421_9cd9837ad1.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1313/1441144677_defc3b3434.jpg

There are special makeup paint that can be used on your teeth, will keep in place after it dry up.

Anyhow thats most the closet I taken to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

kabuki_ikenie
10-11-2007, 02:40 PM
What kind of acrylic did you use for your glasses kabuki_ikenie? Where do you get and such? I used a plastic clipboard and clear red model paint and I was told to use clear packaging plastic and red cellophane for my next iteration of them.

oh! i'm sorry for not reading this before D:!!!

well i just went to a local acryilics shop and the girls there made my glasses... but after 4 pairs made, i have some advice for everyone:

-do a cardboard mockup that works on your face (and make sure that it won't hurt!) before going

-i have been watching the girls at the acrylics shop and how they do their work. they use a somewhat thin acrylic. i think is the most common thickness (0.3mm) you will find and it's perfect for the glasses...

-... but not for the legs. they WILL break if they get some stress or any impact. they're fine to wear on your face, but not to be picked constantly. i suggest that you ask the employees that the legs should be made in a thicker material (i know that there's 0.5mm acrylic, as well as 10mm and some other thicknesses in between)... since the legs bend when the join the glasses, that's the stress point and that's where they're most likely to break

-acrylic is maleable under heat. the girls use a heat gun. you can use boiling water. dip the piece for a while and when you feel it somewhat soft, carefuly bend it (it takes a while so be patient or it will break). i did that cos the last pairs i got were very uncomfortable, so i bended them until they were comfy :3

-and the right way to glue acrylic is using chloroform (really!). here on chile is quite difficult to get cos you'll need a special permission (REALLY! XD). but i have seen via web that you can find this on acrylic stores across USA. you can also use instant glues (like krazy glue or super bonder), epoxics and/or similars, but they won't bond as HARD as chloroform. in case you have an accident and you must do an emergency repair, use instant glue plus clear duct tape. glue both pieces neatly, wait 10mins-1hr and then wrap around the fracture carefully with the duct tape.

-for cutting there is a special plastic knife by Olfa. and i know there are some special cutting discs for Dremmel tools.

-Sintra is similar to acrylic. They're not the same. i believe that sintra is more impact-resistant than acrylic.

and that's about it. i hope this helps ;D

kabuki_ikenie
10-11-2007, 02:43 PM
With help from Kabuki_ikenie, I made my Core Drill from cardboard and fun foam.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1286500
Cardboard base with the foam wrapped around it. The only hard part is getting the shape of the foam right so that it wraps around nicely.

^^ glad to help. i think it turned out great! so neat looking (it looks better than mine!! XDD)

KaZzu
10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
oh! i'm sorry for not reading this before D:!!!

well i just went to a local acryilics shop and the girls there made my glasses... but after 4 pairs made, i have some advice for everyone:

I was not as fortunate to find one near me, so I had to order. A few good places to look are www.delviesplastics.com and http://www.tapplastics.com/.

I ordered mine from Delvie, but they only had the red thin acrylic (which was perfect for me; star glasses!). They sell 1/16 inch and 1/8 inch sheets in orange and red :D

Annnd, Im not for certain what Im going to do yet, but I think ill use fishing line and loop the glasses to my ears so that it looks most realistic. Not sure how well it'll work cause im still waiting on my acrylic >.<

And a question for anyone that has messed with acrylic; can you heat it up in the oven and then bend it? I really dont want to spend another 30 bucks on a heat gun. I dont think i have a pot large enough to boil water in xD

Long post is long

kabuki_ikenie
10-11-2007, 05:17 PM
i don't suggest baking acrylic unless you want a pool of burnt plastic... i boiled the water on a water heater (it wasn't much... like a 1lt of water or so) and on a heat resistant container i did all the diping and such...

and i have another tip: there is a transparent elastic filament that is used on bracalets... that thing is awesome (i have a prop nose and i used that to hold it close to my face without moving)... i guess you can drill a small hole on the surface of the glasses and use the elastic there...

Eva Xgouki
10-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Bonding acrylic? If you want a nice, solid bond I suggest asking your local plastic shop for an acrylic cement/bonder. It is NOT glue. It has a consistence like water. It usually comes in a metal container (kinda like rubber cement, except without the brush). This particular stuff works by breaking down the acrylic and then re-solidifying it. You will need to buy a applicator (really cheap) which is basically a squeezable plastic bottle with thin, metal applicator (think needle). Fill the bottle (i.e. squeeze air out, insert tip into bonder, release). Then, while holding the pieces of acrylic together, press the tip of the applicator against the junction. The bonder will be pulled into the gap via capillary action. Hold the pieces there for a minute or so until you can feel it sticking. Once it dries, feel free to add a bit more bonder in the gaps.

ph1shf00d
10-12-2007, 10:54 PM
SUP GUYZ.

Okay, so now I'm thinking about a Kittan cosplay for a convention next year (Anime Boston, if things go well) and for the wig...well, I'm not really sure what to do.

Kittan's got that two-tone hair. Could I just shave the sides of the wig a bit, or would that kind of destroy the entire thing? To be honest, I don't really have a lot of experience with wigs... XD

Even though it's kind of long, I'll probably get a punky wig and try dying it. Amphigory has another nice one, but has weird colors for it, so...yeah.

Varnani
10-12-2007, 10:57 PM
That's what I'm going to try to do, take a blond Punky and shave it down to about 1~2 inches where it would be, I assume, actually buzzed down, then color it with a brown sharpie or dye it or something. I've looked pretty closely at a Punky and if you use the hot water method, you can avoid the wavy hair at the ears and near the back.
I haven't actually done it yet, though...:/ So best of luck to you.

Angathol
10-12-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm so tempted to do Yoko for next year. I started watching Gurren Lagann on the weekend and I somehow got sucked in. XD Not even sure why, since I almost never watch mecha anime.

Hoping to con a friend into doing Adiane so I won't be alone!

Shiroake
10-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I have success for finding parts for my Viral cosplay! Yay for giant hands :3

kabuki_ikenie
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
so i'm back from the con! i had so much fun (and i'm really surprised about the amount of fans of GL here!). my little brother XD (cosplayed by anna white *O*) was awesome and very simon-like... i can't wait to be aniki again!!!! (did i sound too fangirl-ish? XDD)

Thia Fayne
10-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey, for all you pre-timeskip Simon cosplayers, what did you guys do for your goggles? They're the one thing that's eluding me on how to do.

Since I haven't found anything that looks like them (yellow lens, wide red strap) and I doubt I will, I was thinking about making the strap myself, then finding a pair of goggles with yellow lenses, popping the lenses out, and sewing/glueing/attaching them somehow to the band... but I wanted to know if you guys had any other suggestions before I started on that.

Thanks!

Muze
10-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey, for all you pre-timeskip Simon cosplayers, what did you guys do for your goggles? They're the one thing that's eluding me on how to do.

Since I haven't found anything that looks like them (yellow lens, wide red strap) and I doubt I will, I was thinking about making the strap myself, then finding a pair of goggles with yellow lenses, popping the lenses out, and sewing/glueing/attaching them somehow to the band... but I wanted to know if you guys had any other suggestions before I started on that.

Thanks!
I'm making the google for post-timeskip Simon and that is basicly what I'm doing. I found 2 sets of google, one with the matching size and the other one with the right color of lens. Just gonna gattai them together.

KaZzu
10-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Im also planning on having a pair of goggles along with my star glasses. Im thinking about these (http://www.totallybatz.com/catalog/item/2527373/2347695.htm) and just painting over the lenses with glass paint. They're just going to be on top of my head anyway xD

kabuki_ikenie
10-16-2007, 06:08 PM
my friend who did simon this last weekend brought a pair of yellow safety googles, she just cut the legs out and worked with foam and pleather over them...

kalajessta
10-16-2007, 09:08 PM
I just got done watching the series. I already have a bunch of cosplays planned for next year:

kid! Simon - Ohayo Con 2008
kid! Rossiu - ACen 2008
Commander-in-Cheif! Simon
jail! Simon
adult! Rossiu
Time Skip! Viral

I can't wait to get started on them <3

Thia Fayne
10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Ooh, thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like assembling my own goggles is going to be the way to go. XD; I forgot that I can paint them, though, so that's useful to know if I can't find yellow goggles!

KaZzu
10-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I just got done watching the series. I already have a bunch of cosplays planned for next year:

kid! Simon - Ohayo Con 2008
kid! Rossiu - ACen 2008
Commander-in-Cheif! Simon
jail! Simon
adult! Rossiu
Time Skip! Viral

I can't wait to get started on them <3

Sounds busy o_o;;

If all goes as planned ill be just Time Skip Simon for Sakuracon / Anime Evo / Kumoricon / Otakon.

I a have a general question about the glasses... I have them cut out of the acrylic (Heres a pic (http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3866/redglassesih2.jpg)) but I need a way to give them 3d-ness. I originally planned on folding them (Like This (http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1096/starlockoj8.jpg)) but the local plastics place told me they couldnt do it D: Any ideas?

kalajessta
10-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Sounds busy o_o;;

If all goes as planned ill be just Time Skip Simon for Sakuracon / Anime Evo / Kumoricon / Otakon.

I a have a general question about the glasses... I have them cut out of the acrylic (Heres a pic (http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3866/redglassesih2.jpg)) but I need a way to give them 3d-ness. I originally planned on folding them (Like This (http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1096/starlockoj8.jpg)) but the local plastics place told me they couldnt do it D: Any ideas?

Not really. Lol. That's only a handful of costumes I have planned. I want to cosplay someone at Otakon, but my schedual is pretty full already.

kabuki_ikenie
10-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Sounds busy o_o;;

mmmm... i also think that there's no way that you'll be able to make the 3d-ish look out of what you have.

the only way that comes to my mind is that you should work by pieces to get the faceted look of the glasses (think them as a roof of a house (sorry, i don't have better analogies XD) a roof is made of 2 shapes that make an apex at the point they join)... i'll try to help you asap, cos my friends are asking me if i could do GARlock for next year XD

EDIT: i just saw your second pic (me bad XD) and that's the PERFECT way to make them, you should work now by separating those pieces (calculate the angle first) and cutting a certain angle on the acrylic to get perfect shape. i'm guessing 45º??

oh! i forgot something! my friends managed to unglue the legs of my broken pair of kamina's glasses with their nails! i used my exacto knife and it worked. so if anyone has an accident with their glasses, the legs are completely removable from their glued position.

Rikkizilla
10-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I feel like I finally belong!! I just bought all the material for the Kamina costume and just finished the glasses! XD;;! If I keep going at this rate it'll be done in time for Sakura Con XD!!

KaZzu
10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
I feel like I finally belong!! I just bought all the material for the Kamina costume and just finished the glasses! XD;;! If I keep going at this rate it'll be done in time for Sakura Con XD!!

Now the real question is...

RED OR ORANGE?

Rikkizilla
10-17-2007, 10:11 PM
o___o Orange?!

KaZzu
10-17-2007, 10:23 PM
o___o Orange?!

Good, I prefer orange over red. For Kamina's glasses, that is.

Ill make sure to keep an eye out for you at sakuracon :D

kabuki_ikenie
10-18-2007, 08:12 AM

RED OR ORANGE?

XD that question is as almost important as the meaning of life itself XD

i did both colors. i did wear my red pair this last weekend cos the orange ones were broken. i fixed them yesterday :D

Huntress
10-18-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm putting together a Nia costume (hopefully I'll be done by at least Sakura Con) I just managed to find a nice blonde wig and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to add the blue color to it. A friend suggested markers but I wanted to know if there was a better way to do it. I don't want to end up ruining a nice hair piece.

I also plan on buying custom made contacts for it :D A bit on the pricy side but sooooooo worth it :D

Zoroko
10-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Okay so I allready bothered kabuki_ikenie about where to get acrylic plastic, and she led me to this forum.

I know now where to get the Plastic but the question is how do I cut it? Do I use a ban saw? ^O^

Thia Fayne
10-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm putting together a Nia costume (hopefully I'll be done by at least Sakura Con) I just managed to find a nice blonde wig and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to add the blue color to it. A friend suggested markers but I wanted to know if there was a better way to do it. I don't want to end up ruining a nice hair piece.

I also plan on buying custom made contacts for it :D A bit on the pricy side but sooooooo worth it :D

Ooh, contacts, that'll rock. I can't wait to see. ^_^

Light blue sharpies should work just fine. You can dye entire wigs with sharpies using a spray method, but for those weird shadow things on Nia's hair, you're probably better off coloring by hand. There's different ways you could do it, but I'd probably color the tips of the wig blue, as well as the bottom part of any curls/waves it might have... does that make sense?

There's one Nia cosplayer on this site who did a really good job on her wig, you could PM her to ask what she did.

Rikkizilla
10-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Okay so I allready bothered kabuki_ikenie about where to get acrylic plastic, and she led me to this forum.

I know now where to get the Plastic but the question is how do I cut it? Do I use a ban saw? ^O^
I used a jigsaw, but I am sure there are better ways of cutting it. ^^;

Huntress
10-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Ooh, contacts, that'll rock. I can't wait to see. ^_^

Light blue sharpies should work just fine. You can dye entire wigs with sharpies using a spray method, but for those weird shadow things on Nia's hair, you're probably better off coloring by hand. There's different ways you could do it, but I'd probably color the tips of the wig blue, as well as the bottom part of any curls/waves it might have... does that make sense?

There's one Nia cosplayer on this site who did a really good job on her wig, you could PM her to ask what she did.

I'll definately try to post progress shots :D

Yes it does make sense. Thank you for the response.

KaZzu
10-19-2007, 12:20 AM

You can carefully use a hacksaw. I recommend pinching the acrylic in some pieces of wood so it doesnt vibrate (and break) while you saw it. Also have someone help and hold the piece when you get to the last few cuts so it doesnt break xD Have fun :D

Edit: Oh, you can also use a nail file on the edges afterwards.

niphrodel
10-19-2007, 03:21 AM

RED OR ORANGE?

REDDISH ORANGE!! NO, BLUE!! OR WAIT, GREE--AUUGH!

Shiroake
10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
AGH! Someone tell me to get working on Viral D: So I don't start half assing the day before I go to a convention.

Luna
10-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Well no, wait, he may be on to something there. There's some kinda 'dental makeup' that they use to black out teeth...

LOL, wow, you guys are so hardcore, even getting teeth right and all...I didn't bother with teeth for my Viral cosplay, cause...seriously, how often are you planning to take pictures with your mouth open??? Hehe... I took maybe a couple and they looked silly...so, I figured I'll just get contacts and attempt to make fierce faces. ^_^ Plus. I dun want ugly teeth, haha, oh well!

Muze
10-19-2007, 05:02 PM
LOL, wow, you guys are so hardcore, even getting teeth right and all...I didn't bother with teeth for my Viral cosplay, cause...seriously, how often are you planning to take pictures with your mouth open??? Hehe... I took maybe a couple and they looked silly...so, I figured I'll just get contacts and attempt to make fierce faces. ^_^ Plus. I dun want ugly teeth, haha, oh well!
Not too often, but alot of viral's expression my friend does consists of wide opening on the left eye and showing the top section of the teeth (kinda like a grin), but that really leave to how you like to pose.

Luna
10-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Not too often, but alot of viral's expression my friend does consists of wide opening on the left eye and showing the top section of the teeth (kinda like a grin), but that really leave to how you like to pose.

I tried those and I looked like an idiot, lol. I'll stick to arrogant or moe facial expressions, lol. I found that making a costume for character like Viral is half of the problem, wait till you have to figure out poses, lol. I swear I took tons of pictures of this costume and only few were okish looking. Being a bad guy (sorta bad, XD) is not that easy, lol.

kabuki_ikenie
10-19-2007, 08:06 PM

i'd suggest Olfa's plastic knife cos it works wonders (almost as cutting cardboard, only a little bit... harder XD). other tools that i'll also sugest are a dremmel tool with sanding discs and fabric discs.

and don't worry about bothering me. i love sharing tips ;D

Rikkizilla
10-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Ahha.. I just started on my cape today and now I need help/opinions (which for some reason I never really gave much though to before) buut.. how should I do the detailing on the back? o__o;

kabuki_ikenie
10-19-2007, 08:59 PM
i did fabric applique. just cos i love machine embrodering aaaaand because i'm cheap (my cape doesn't have any lining)... i do have an excuse: i wanted a light weight cape that could swish around with the wind easily. i think i succeded! XD i did the embrodery with red thread so the seams are somewhat invisible on the wrong side of the fabric.

Rikkizilla
10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Fabric applique? I am definitely going to look into that. Oh man, I want my cape to swish in the wind but I think I will end up lining it (maybe.. just maybe it will still swoosh)! xD! Thank you so much!! ^___^

kalajessta
10-21-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm attempting kid! Simon for Ohayo Con this coming year. My question is: what is the best method or way to make Simon's goggles? Or do they even sell official ones? Also, any suggestions on how to make his drill necklace?

kabuki_ikenie
10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
you can check out older posts in this same thread, KaZzu and myself made our coredrills out of cardboard and funfoam, and, i think, they're some suggestions on how to build simon's glasses on pages 6-7.

Bealzabub
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Does anyone have ideas for Viral's teeth? I want them very similar to the Vampire teeth from "30 Days of Night".

Shiroake
10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm...trying something right now about Viral's teeth. I'm waiting for them to dry before I see if they worked. I'd show with a camera right off the bat but my dad has it on his trip.

What I did so far, if anyone wants to take the idea and do something better with it :

1) I used clay (non-toxic) and made some teeth for my upper jaw (only did that, I'm not gonna try and fit two things in my tiny mouth).

2) Make the teeth a little smaller than what you think they should be (the first ones I made were far too big to fit and I had buck-teeth instead XD).

3) No, I wasn't sticking clay in my mouth when it came to molding; wrap it in Seran Wrap (I can't spell) before seeing how well it fits. I had to cut a tooth out on both ends to make it fit (Overall, I have four pointed teeth left).

4) Put the wrapped up clay in the fridge or freezer and let it freeze enough so when you take it out, you can take off the seran wrap without ruining the arch.

5) Let the clay harden or dry overnight (if you have the baking kind of clay, bake the sucker!)

6) Use non-toxic mod podge (this is just what I used as a sealent; if you have something better, please use it!) and paint over the entire thing. One coat should be good enough; do be careful to cover all of the clay if it's the overnight drying kind; water or saliva will leak in and you'll have mushy clay in your mouth. I don't know if baking clay will hold water either though so..yeah.

7) Let that dry. Cover any spots you might've missed (or the part you were holding the teeth by).

8) You now have pointy teeth! I'm not sure how to keep them in tightly since I dont' think spirit gum will work inside your mouth (plus it's probably toxic).

If anyone has some ideas to make this better, share!

kalajessta
10-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Mn, I'm still having issues on how to make Simon's goggles. I almost want to make the red cloth, but the yellow plastic some how so I can actually use them as googles. Is there any online tutorials on how to make your own goggles?

Shiroake
10-21-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm afraid my teeth failed; I think I didn't freeze them long enough. They looked okayish except super shiney at the seran wrap phase; they were just hard to keep in place. If one wanted to, they could do quick pictures with those kinds of teeth..but it would be hard to put up with for an entire convention.

korov
10-22-2007, 01:29 AM
To keep the fangs on your teeth, try using denture adhesive like fixodent.
Alternativley, you could go though the process of casting your teeth so you could just pop on teeth. Like http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/10/diy_vampire_fangs.html

Varnani
10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Haha, when I tried to use the fangs they had over in the halloween store by my house, they gave me buck teeth. I threw them out, but the stuff that comes with them is great for getting a mold of your teeth.

KaZzu
10-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Im at a loss for making my simon glasses. I tried heating the acrylic with an iron (oh yeah, it works) but its too hard for me to create a sharp edge =/ And now im trying to make a clay mold to press the heated acrylic into but Im pretty sure that the mold is going to either A) Break or B) Be warped and make my acrylic warped.

Does anyone have the tools/experience to bend this for me? ;_______;

Chibiko721
10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm going as Yoko and as Young Simon for Anext. One of my friend is going to be as Kamina and my other friend is on the so so side of cosplaying as Older Simon. :/ Anyone wanna fill in that spot for us?

Chibiko721
10-25-2007, 11:40 AM
REDDISH ORANGE!! NO, BLUE!! OR WAIT, GREE--AUUGH!

lol~

4chan reference?

It's red orange.

kalajessta
10-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Simon's goggles are really getting to me. Does anyone have suggestions what to make the yellow eye pieces out of so I can attach it to fabric? I don't particularly want to buy goggles either since I'm confident in my skills.

Chibiko721
10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Simon's goggles are really getting to me. Does anyone have suggestions what to make the yellow eye pieces out of so I can attach it to fabric? I don't particularly want to buy goggles either since I'm confident in my skills.

For me, I was thinking of buying clear yellow plastics but i have yet know where to get them atm.

:/ Sorry if I'm not helpful.

KaZzu
10-25-2007, 03:41 PM
For me, I was thinking of buying clear yellow plastics but i have yet know where to get them atm.

:/ Sorry if I'm not helpful.

My suggestions...probably get an overhead sheet (the paper-line plastic sheets) and use glass paint to make them yellow. Although I cant confirm how well the glass paint will work

kalajessta
10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
My suggestions...probably get an overhead sheet (the paper-line plastic sheets) and use glass paint to make them yellow. Although I cant confirm how well the glass paint will work

Actually... I think I have some around here some where in my apartment that I need to search for. I think I shall experiment after Youma Con.

KaZzu
10-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Just finished simon's glasses. http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1306666
They took WAAAY too long to make but im happy with them

Adziu
10-26-2007, 06:16 AM
lol~

4chan reference?

It's red orange.

Surely Python!

Huntress
10-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Just finished simon's glasses. http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1306666
They took WAAAY too long to make but im happy with them

Wow! They came out pretty good!

Chibiko721
11-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I need help in Yoko's flame bra.
I need to find an inexpensive push up two piece swim suit, I'm a size 32B mind u.

My question is:
where can I find an inexpensive bra?
It's going to be in black but how should I paint it? and with what?

OwlDepot
11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I need help in Yoko's flame bra.
I need to find an inexpensive push up two piece swim suit, I'm a size 32B mind u.

My question is:
where can I find an inexpensive bra?
It's going to be in black but how should I paint it? and with what?

I just went to Ross and bought a black bra for about 5 bucks. I'm going to take the cups off and then sew on the red string ti of the bottom of Yoko's top. For the red flames I bought some red fabric paint, which can be found at most any craft store.

The hardest part was get the flames even on both side.

Chibiko721
11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I just went to Ross and bought a black bra for about 5 bucks. I'm going to take the cups off and then sew on the red string ti of the bottom of Yoko's top. For the red flames I bought some red fabric paint, which can be found at most any craft store.

The hardest part was get the flames even on both side.

@____@; there's no Ross from where I live or reside. :confused:

OwlDepot
11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
What about a second hand clothing store? Like a Goodwill or something?

Huntress
11-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Well I got some Nia wig shots up. It hasn't been altered yet so it is still full blonde with no bangs. I'll post more as costume progresses.

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=94903&member=44167

Varnani
11-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Oohh, that wig looks nice, it should work well for Nia. ^^
If you don't mind me asking, what wig is it? I need a white, slightly curly wig for something else. XD;

ph1shf00d
11-03-2007, 12:02 AM
So, it's still a helluva long way's away, but I guess it's good to start early. Or at least gather ideas.

Anyone have any idea on what to do for Timeskip Kittan's..uh... bodysuit uniform...thing? That's what it looks like. I don't see any hints of buttons or zippers that open and close on those office uniforms. I thought one of those Air force pilot suit things might work, but they're too baggy and they've got big zippers.

Makes me wonder how the hell everyone managed to actually get into their suits now. @_@ WHAT THE CRAP LEERON. YOUR FASHION SKILLS ARE TOO DAMN FABULOUS.

Zoroko
11-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Okay so I want to order some plastic for my Kamina glasses (making them for the sake of making them)

whats a good thickness to buy from delviesplastics.

ALSO.......Red or Orange?

Princess Blade
11-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Okay so I want to order some plastic for my Kamina glasses (making them for the sake of making them)

I think the ones that Kamina wears are orange-colored. At least, I see a lot more orange than I do red. ^^"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really want to do a Gurren Lagann cosplay at some point...maybe Nia-chan, if I had to pick. I adore Yoko, but her costume's far too skimpy for me. ^^"

KaZzu
11-03-2007, 11:54 PM

I would recommend 1/8" thickness. Orange or red...up to you but I prefer orange :P

Zoroko
11-04-2007, 12:14 AM
I was thinking orange too, I think orange shows his eyes better as opposed to him wearing red ones.

^O^

Adziu
11-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Personally, I think red tends to look more dramatic.

Zoroko
11-04-2007, 11:24 AM
See I think his glasses could go either way, personal choice~

Chibiko721
11-04-2007, 11:34 AM
What about a second hand clothing store? Like a Goodwill or something?

Ii've checked around but since Winter seems to be coming on almost close to full force I went internet searching instead and found a black bikini top. So everything works out.

Thanks for answering my question :bigtu:

Huntress
11-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Oohh, that wig looks nice, it should work well for Nia. ^^
If you don't mind me asking, what wig is it? I need a white, slightly curly wig for something else. XD;

Thanks!

It's called a Long Pale Blonde Spiral I purchased from an online store called Jenney's HairSense. I can post you a link if you'd like.

KaZzu
11-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Giving our GL thread a healthy bump.
I finished my glasses the other day; i attached them to my face using some "jelly cord" (stuff used for making braclets) and plastics glue. Its stretchy and clear and easy to put on/off, so im happy with that. Coat is 75% complete

Varnani
11-11-2007, 02:47 AM
Thanks!

It's called a Long Pale Blonde Spiral I purchased from an online store called Jenney's HairSense. I can post you a link if you'd like.

Does it come in white or silvery gray? It's sort of...well, not useful to me if it doesn't. :( The character I have in mind is known for having white hair so blonde isn't going to work...but if it does come in white, I'm all for it! :D

On a completely different note, I'm redoing my Viral...haha, I really picked a bad fabric last time and it ran just about everywhere. XD; So I'm remaking it in a heavier grade spandex. Hopefully this one won't run on me...and hopefully it'll be warmer! I was freezing at Ani-Magic and I was fully covered! Arg!

toastbrot
11-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Hii~ 

Since I didn't get any responds to my thread in the newbie section (I'm impatient, I know, I know...u__u'') I'll just ask here.

What fabric did the Kamina cosplayers of y'all use for his cape and how much of it? I'm really bad at picking the right fabric...

I don't really have much money lately so is it possible to make the cape look good but keep it under 40 $? T__T

kabuki_ikenie
11-12-2007, 10:22 AM
i used the cheapest cotton/poly fabric i could find... since i had to do fabric applique and embrodery, the fabric had to resist ironing. my cape is quite lightweight and swishes with the wind nicely :)

Muze
11-12-2007, 01:09 PM
only pic available right now
http://www.limesworkshop.com/cons/pmx/pmx/content/_MG_1604_large.html

toastbrot
11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
i used the cheapest cotton/poly fabric i could find... since i had to do fabric applique and embrodery, the fabric had to resist ironing. my cape is quite lightweight and swishes with the wind nicely :)

Waii~*thankies ^^ That helps me a lot. I want it to be swishy too :3 Maybe I'll use some lightweight lining too and I'm not sure about the fabric appliques yet...I think I'll just paint all the stuff with fabric paint :O

Wooo....do my eyes kid me or does your drill GLOW!? That is soo awesome beyond words~*nice cosplay!

KaZzu
11-12-2007, 01:22 PM

That looks pretty awesome! I'd like to see more shots as you get them so i can see how you did certain parts xD What did you use for the green on your coredrill?

Muze
11-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Its an LED inside.
Kazu what you use for your base boot? I made a boot cover with the vinyl I use from the coat but it was too soft so I end up have to safety pin it.

fatalinjection
11-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Planning on cosplaying Adiane at Katsucon, getting the outfit commissioned because I fail at sewing. Trying to figure out how to do her tattoos, though, I don't know if I'd have the patience to paint them on everytime I wear the costume, and I haven't had much luck with the paint & sealer before, anyways. :(

Muze
11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Planning on cosplaying Adiane at Katsucon, getting the outfit commissioned because I fail at sewing. Trying to figure out how to do her tattoos, though, I don't know if I'd have the patience to paint them on everytime I wear the costume, and I haven't had much luck with the paint & sealer before, anyways. :(
Good luck with that then, caz I know it takes almost an hour if not more for Gowa-chan to put them on.

fatalinjection
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Good luck with that then, caz I know it takes almost an hour if not more for Gowa-chan to put them on.

Yeah, that's mainly why I don't want to paint them on. :( I was thinking of getting some kind of sturdy flesh-tone fabric, painting it on, and then cutting out the edges & attaching it to myself with some kind of fabric tape or something.

Muze
11-12-2007, 02:44 PM
I did prefer you not do that, caz you just cant really matching the skin tone, it would end up looking like those body color body suit people put on, it'll look wierd especially in this case, it'll look like you have some giant stickers on you.
how about some none shiny see though thing instead of fabric?
(you would end up have to spend some time to do make up on the edges so it wouldn't' look weird )

fatalinjection
11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I did prefer you not do that, caz you just cant really matching the skin tone, it would end up looking like those body color body suit people put on, it'll look wierd especially in this case, it'll look like you have some giant stickers on you.
how about some none shiny see though thing instead of fabric?
(you would end up have to spend some time to do make up on the edges so it wouldn't' look weird )

Not exactly, though, since the only part of the fabric that would even show would be the circular parts in the middle, and even then, if I found something sturdy enough, I could cut those out, as well.

Muze
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
oh I see what you mean, thats pretty good idea then actaully minus the putting adhesive on you part

Huntress
11-12-2007, 04:04 PM

Wow! Awesome job! One of the best I've seen yet :D

Huntress
11-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Does it come in white or silvery gray? It's sort of...well, not useful to me if it doesn't. :( The character I have in mind is known for having white hair so blonde isn't going to work...but if it does come in white, I'm all for it! :D

On a completely different note, I'm redoing my Viral...haha, I really picked a bad fabric last time and it ran just about everywhere. XD; So I'm remaking it in a heavier grade spandex. Hopefully this one won't run on me...and hopefully it'll be warmer! I was freezing at Ani-Magic and I was fully covered! Arg!

Hmm I think she just has blonde. But here is a white one similar to it, but with bangs. Hope it helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wavy-40-WHITE-long-Curly-wig-with-bangs-SKIN-cosplay_W0QQitemZ160178387900QQihZ006QQcategoryZ60 188QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Rikkizilla
11-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use for Kamina's tattoos?

KaZzu
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Its an LED inside.
Kazu what you use for your base boot? I made a boot cover with the vinyl I use from the coat but it was too soft so I end up have to safety pin it.

I bought a white pair of captain-100 boots from the cosworx shop and dyed them dark blue with some leather dye.

I really like the green glow; too bad my coredrill is way too thick for anything to show through it.

KaZzu
11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use for Kamina's tattoos?

I would recommend alcohol activated makeup (http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/Alcohol_activated_makeup). I think this is something that work would well for Adiane's tatoos as well

sorry for the doublepost D:

Doctor Blind
11-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know of a site that has good Gurren Lagann screencaps? I searched the thread, but didn't find any mention.
Thank you :] I'm looking for general stuff, but Adiane in particular.

kalajessta
11-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know of a site that has good Gurren Lagann screencaps? I searched the thread, but didn't find any mention.
Thank you :] I'm looking for general stuff, but Adiane in particular.

You can always make your own.

kabuki_ikenie
11-13-2007, 08:27 AM
about the tattoos: i'll suggest something like ben nye's makeup line.

and www.dharmatrading.com has some body paints, stencils and more.

Gowa-chan
11-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I thought you guys might get a kick out of the Gurren Lagann skit Onyx, lee-buddy, and I did at PMX:

http://www.acparadise.com/vid/2140

We made Cytomander in one week (finishing him at-con and having plenty of malfunctions), i forgot my tail, and other stuff all piling up, but we managed to win best of show, a big surprise for us!

Actually, this time it only took about half an hour :D
Its something that you want to do at least one test run of pre-con. The first time painting the tattoo on was at-con, in a public restroom and highly interesting, which made it take so long. If you do choose to use makeup (i use ben nye), make sure you seal it properly with powder! You don't want it ruining your costume.

Muze
11-13-2007, 04:40 PM
I thought you guys might get a kick out of the Gurren Lagann skit Onyx, lee-buddy, and I did at PMX:

We made Cytomander in one week (finishing him at-con and having plenty of malfunctions), i forgot my tail, and other stuff all piling up, but we managed to win best of show, a big surprise for us!

Actually, this time it only took about half an hour :D
Its something that you want to do at least one test run of pre-con. The first time painting the tattoo on was at-con, in a public restroom and highly interesting, which made it take so long. If you do choose to use makeup (i use ben nye), make sure you seal it properly with powder! You don't want it ruining your costume.

Now for ALA GL skit!

UsagiNoSenshi
11-13-2007, 07:35 PM
T___________T i wanna do GL cosplay! If i was male i would do Kamina, but alas i am not XP I could prolly pull off Adiane but i'm not a huge fan of her. Yoko would be my pick but i am not exactly a skinny girl. Although Yoko had on a somewhat covering outfit in ep. 17 (the whole 5 seconds she was there) maybe i shall do that.

Muze
11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
T___________T i wanna do GL cosplay! If i was male i would do Kamina, but alas i am not XP I could prolly pull off Adiane but i'm not a huge fan of her. Yoko would be my pick but i am not exactly a skinny girl. Although Yoko had on a somewhat covering outfit in ep. 17 (the whole 5 seconds she was there) maybe i shall do that.

From what I have seem so far, most of the yoko girls have more problem getting breast bigger (since you can't really stuff it up in that outfit) then worry about their tummy. Theres also the Teacher version of Yoko you can try.

OwlDepot
11-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Due to finals coming up I have to postpone my Yoko costume until winter break. College taakes up too much time lately.

Also, I was wondering on Yoko's cowl neck scarf does it really have a zipper in between the two front pink sections? Or is that just something some cosplayers added to make it easier to put on?

Also what size are Yoko's breasts? Muze's post made me wonder that.

KaZzu
11-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Due to finals coming up I have to postpone my Yoko costume until winter break. College taakes up too much time lately.

Also, I was wondering on Yoko's cowl neck scarf does it really have a zipper in between the two front pink sections? Or is that just something some cosplayers added to make it easier to put on?

Also what size are Yoko's breasts? Muze's post made me wonder that.

Gigantic. O__O

seriously though, i doubt many girls can have those AND be as skinny as she is; its unpossible

Varnani
11-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Hmm I think she just has blonde. But here is a white one similar to it, but with bangs. Hope it helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wavy-40-WHITE-long-Curly-wig-with-bangs-SKIN-cosplay_W0QQitemZ160178387900QQihZ006QQcategoryZ60 188QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Ah, I see, I just bought another wig from them yesterday. xD Next week perhaps then for the white one.

Also my two cents on Yoko: She is padding SOMEHOW. 'Chicken cutlet' inserts would be my guess...and they would aid anyone attempting to do any of her outfits. They work in swimsuits, too.

kabuki_ikenie
11-14-2007, 07:28 AM
oooooo... CYTOMANDERRRRR!!! i have to see that, gowa-chan!

owl: it does have a zipper...you can see cospa's rendition of the costume, which is supposed to be the official one (i don't know if it on the character design sheet there's a zipper on yoko's neck piece)

UsagiNoSenshi
11-14-2007, 11:27 AM
From what I have seem so far, most of the yoko girls have more problem getting breast bigger (since you can't really stuff it up in that outfit) then worry about their tummy. Theres also the Teacher version of Yoko you can try.

Well I've got more than enough boobs for Yoko, that's why my friends want me to do her XP I think i'm being put on a hardcore workout schedule until Otakon, i guess if it looks like i can get rid of my tummy I'll go for it and if not I will do the teacher outfit.
I want that gun so bad T__T I'm going to try to get my groups gun nut to help me out.

Muze
11-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Gigantic. O__O

seriously though, i doubt many girls can have those AND be as skinny as she is; its unpossible

Yoko's breast increase porportionally with her spiral power.

Here's pic of the cytomandre
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2210/1997567273_f273fab984_b.jpg

Maguma
11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Well I've got more than enough boobs for Yoko, that's why my friends want me to do her XP I think i'm being put on a hardcore workout schedule until Otakon, i guess if it looks like i can get rid of my tummy I'll go for it and if not I will do the teacher outfit.
I want that gun so bad T__T I'm going to try to get my groups gun nut to help me out.
yes yes you can do yoko, *hands proportionality Badge*

Kouga-Fan
11-15-2007, 08:56 AM
I have a friend that's doing a Kamina cosplay and he wore it to PMX, which is in a hotel, and they made him put on at least a see-through vest. There were girls with bikinis on (barely) and he couldn't have his shirt off for the costume... >.< Anyway, I'm getting side tracked. I'm thinking of going as Simon to AX if I go two days because I've already got a cosplay planned for one day. Edit: I just realized that the person going as Kamina that I know is the one that posted right above me. XD

kabuki_ikenie
11-15-2007, 05:35 PM
thanks for the pic, muze!!

Thia Fayne
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
The fabric I bought for Simon's pants is too dark >_>; But it actually worked out all right, since my sister can use it for one of her future cosplays and I've got coupons for Joann's this week, so I can go back and get some in the right color.

I have everything I need for the jacket, though! The fabric is in the dryer right now, so I'm going to start it as soon as I can. ^____^;

While figuring out which method to use to put the symbol on the back, I also decided to make a tote bag with the Gurren-dan symbol on it, because... well, that would just be cool. So when I hit up Michael's for craft foam for the Core Drill I'll pick up one of those plain tote bags. : D

Muze
11-19-2007, 11:34 AM
The fabric I bought for Simon's pants is too dark >_>; But it actually worked out all right, since my sister can use it for one of her future cosplays and I've got coupons for Joann's this week, so I can go back and get some in the right color.

I have everything I need for the jacket, though! The fabric is in the dryer right now, so I'm going to start it as soon as I can. ^____^;

While figuring out which method to use to put the symbol on the back, I also decided to make a tote bag with the Gurren-dan symbol on it, because... well, that would just be cool. So when I hit up Michael's for craft foam for the Core Drill I'll pick up one of those plain tote bags. : D
Yeah his pants is annoying, is like a mix of dark blue/gray. I run to 3 stores to find any matching color and end up getting 2 yard of p.leather.

Katsumiyo
11-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Really should have joined this thread sooner, haha.
@Usagi: You definitely have the boobage for Yoko, if you don't mind my saying so.
@Thia & Muze: Yeah, some things about this show make me think the creators looked at their character designs and said, "Let's see if those damn cosplayers can pull THIS off!"
Making Adiane for Fanime '08...I just got the bases for the tail, so I'll be starting on that soon. Do you guys think it's wiser to err on the large or small side for Adiane's tail? Because I've noticed that most Adiane have smallish tails, but in the anime, hers is enormous. I ended up going with the larger set because the place I was shopping at was out of 5" so I ended up with 6"...okay this is getting way too long is that too big or not? Haha, good god, my first post in this and I'm going nuts already.
Also, doing the tattoo out of fabric, no question...I need it to be wearable on multiple occasions, including in water for photoshoots.

Varnani
11-20-2007, 04:45 PM
You mean the foam balls for flower arrangements, right? (I'm assuming...that's the only thing I can think of that was a sphere at Michael's/Jo-Ann's that wasn't glass or an ornament)
I'm probably going to go with those, too, but I need to cover them with something so the spraypaint doesn't eat away at them...I forgot what it's called. :(

Muze
11-20-2007, 05:25 PM
You have to keep the character's porpotion in mind, if I recall Adiane is taller then Viral, and Viral is PRETTY DAMN TALL.

Really should have joined this thread sooner, haha.
@Usagi: You definitely have the boobage for Yoko, if you don't mind my saying so.
@Thia & Muze: Yeah, some things about this show make me think the creators looked at their character designs and said, "Let's see if those damn cosplayers can pull THIS off!"
Making Adiane for Fanime '08...I just got the bases for the tail, so I'll be starting on that soon. Do you guys think it's wiser to err on the large or small side for Adiane's tail? Because I've noticed that most Adiane have smallish tails, but in the anime, hers is enormous. I ended up going with the larger set because the place I was shopping at was out of 5" so I ended up with 6"...okay this is getting way too long is that too big or not? Haha, good god, my first post in this and I'm going nuts already.
Also, doing the tattoo out of fabric, no question...I need it to be wearable on multiple occasions, including in water for photoshoots.

Katsumiyo
11-22-2007, 02:02 AM
@Audhulma: Yes, the styrofoam like they make those Christmas snowmen out of...not the styrofoam like used for packing. At this point, I would suggest you use something else, because these were more expensive than I was expecting, considering I had to get 8 of them.
Love your Viral, by the way--would you perhaps be attending Fanime in Viral? If you just happen to be, I'd love to get a picture with you. :B
@Muze: I'll be doing that, yes. My heels are 2.5", which should just put me over my friend that's cosplaying as Viral. She's also doing the timeskip version, so it could pass if she was taller. And even so...I don't think height truly matters that much if the costume is good. And I can't magically grow, so I'm doing the best I can, LoL.
But yes, during the anime, Adiane's tail is shockingly larger than it seems.

ph1shf00d
11-22-2007, 07:59 PM

FUCK YES, DUCK HUNT!

Ahahaha~ I totally rofled several times during your skit XD Great job! And I gasped when Cytomander came on stage. He looked great!

I liked the voice acting, too XD Overall, nice job~

Muze
11-22-2007, 08:03 PM
@Audhulma: Yes, the styrofoam like they make those Christmas snowmen out of...not the styrofoam like used for packing. At this point, I would suggest you use something else, because these were more expensive than I was expecting, considering I had to get 8 of them.
Love your Viral, by the way--would you perhaps be attending Fanime in Viral? If you just happen to be, I'd love to get a picture with you. :B
@Muze: I'll be doing that, yes. My heels are 2.5", which should just put me over my friend that's cosplaying as Viral. She's also doing the timeskip version, so it could pass if she was taller. And even so...I don't think height truly matters that much if the costume is good. And I can't magically grow, so I'm doing the best I can, LoL.
Oh no, what I mean by porpotion is that her height vs her tail, the taller she is the bigger the tail.

Katsumiyo
11-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Oh no, what I mean by porpotion is that her height vs her tail, the taller she is the bigger the tail.
Yeah, I was doing it according to proportion, not how big hers might be IRL. I haven't even seen styrofoam balls that big. @__@

Gowa-chan
11-23-2007, 03:43 AM
FUCK YES, DUCK HUNT!

Ahahaha~ I totally rofled several times during your skit XD Great job! And I gasped when Cytomander came on stage. He looked great!

I liked the voice acting, too XD Overall, nice job~

Hahahah xD
Duck hunt is what you get when throwing out the strangest skit ideas over pizza xD

The voice acting was done by me (Adiane) and our friend (Cytomander and Viral) and I'm glad it came out well (Onyx edited it all together).

We had a lot of fun though, and I'm glad people enjoyed our skit :3

OwlDepot
11-24-2007, 12:39 AM
So putting in the zipper was easier than I thought. I'm pretty excited about making this costume.

Here's what I've got done so far.
http://bianka.deviantart.com/art/WIP-Yoko-cosplay-70525616

I figure the hardest part will be either the hair or the gun. Any ideas on how to tackle that gun? And what color exactly is her hair, burgandy or a dark red? It looks different colors in different picture/shots. :(

kalajessta
11-24-2007, 06:04 PM
I think with one of my many planned Simon cosplays, I'm going to attempt first with kid! Simon from episode 1 (the one with the green cloak). The only issue is, what is a good material for the cloak?

Varnani
11-24-2007, 07:20 PM

I'm aiming to go to Fanime and I'd love to pose with an Adiane. Gowa-chan has already roughed me up in one photoshoot(LOL) but I certainly wouldn't mind another. :D

ph1shf00d
11-24-2007, 09:13 PM
So putting in the zipper was easier than I thought. I'm pretty excited about making this costume.

Here's what I've got done so far.
http://bianka.deviantart.com/art/WIP-Yoko-cosplay-70525616

I figure the hardest part will be either the hair or the gun. Any ideas on how to tackle that gun? And what color exactly is her hair, burgandy or a dark red? It looks different colors in different picture/shots. :(

Looking pretty sweet! I think a lot of people mess up on the bra, but I think you did yours pretty well.

Yeah, a great wig would really make this an awesome cosplay. I'm looking through Cosworx/Amphigory wigs right now, and I think Amphigory's Merlot on the Enchantment wig or Cosworx's Burgundy or Henna red are the best colors for Yoko. If possible, you could try lightly tinting Henna red with a magenta sharpie or something to get a more saturated color. Burgundy for both Cosworx and Amphigory seems a bit dark to me, but that's...just me. ^^; I kinda like brighter, more saturated wigs, although I'm sure others have different preferences too.

For the gun... I think most people use PVC pipes for the long part (barrel? I don't know gun terminology/parts >>; ). Oh! I just remembered... I saw some cool in-progress shots of Yoko's gun on 4chan, and the person used a small, cut soda bottle for that scope thing. There's also a handle in front of the stripey block part that's reminding me of a regular gun handle, so I'm thinking maybe you could cut off the handle off of a cheap BB/airsoft gun and attach it... Not sure.

In any case, good luck!

kalajessta
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Finally made my Boota plush to go along with my Simon cosplay:

http://kalajessta.deviantart.com/art/Row-Row-Fight-da-Powaa-70690767

Katsumiyo
11-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Well I do believe I just set myself back a couple steps...lost the link to a site that had magenta duchess satin. Ah, well, I guess I'll do Trisha and more of the tail until then.
@OwlDepot: Whoa, nice work! I've gotta second the PVC pipe. And walk around in a crafts store for awhile...sometimes just wandering through and looking at stuff can help you get some good ideas.
@Audhulma: Awww, thank you! That would be totally awesome! (Gowa-chan, I hope you don't mind sharing. ^^; )

KaZzu
11-25-2007, 10:42 PM
I got a (crappily shot) progress shot of my Time-skip Simon up. There are still many things to be done, but its coming along :D

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1340489

lemme know what you think

OwlDepot
11-25-2007, 11:24 PM
KaZzu you look glorious! I can't wait to see the completed work. Are you going foof your wig with some styling glue?

KaZzu
11-25-2007, 11:32 PM
KaZzu you look glorious! I can't wait to see the completed work. Are you going foof your wig with some styling glue?

I havent done a thing with my wig yet, but yes I will definitely give it more "life" xD

I think i might take it where I get my haircut so i dont butcher it; my first time using a wig ^^;

Gowa-chan
11-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Well I do believe I just set myself back a couple steps...lost the link to a site that had magenta duchess satin. Ah, well, I guess I'll do Trisha and more of the tail until then.
@OwlDepot: Whoa, nice work! I've gotta second the PVC pipe. And walk around in a crafts store for awhile...sometimes just wandering through and looking at stuff can help you get some good ideas.
@Audhulma: Awww, thank you! That would be totally awesome! (Gowa-chan, I hope you don't mind sharing. ^^; )

hahaha, I don't mind. I seem to have three virals for abuse, a bit too many to torture at once xP

I'm looking forward to working on my own Yoko. I have most of the bits for her, but there are other costumes that need to be finished first, so she has to wait.
Working on her gun will be fun, though. I told my dad I wanted to build a gun over winter break if her would help me, gave him the rough idea, and I think it'll be some fun times building it.

ph1shf00d
11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Jesus Christ, Kazzu, why are you so amazing?

I'm really impressed with your boots. They look awesome.

kalajessta
11-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Does anyone have an idea of what material I should use for Simon's green cloak?

KaZzu
11-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Jesus Christ, Kazzu, why are you so amazing?

I'm really impressed with your boots. They look awesome.

haha thanks ^^;;

I actually finished the boots (added the circles within the circles on the gold-ish part). I should probably update the picture. Id have better picture of stuff if I had someone to take pictures for me .__.

OwlDepot
11-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Does anyone have an idea of what material I should use for Simon's green cloak?

I'd use 100% cotton in something similar to broadcloth.

For Yoko wig colors I came up with.
http://www.amphigory.com/wig-kelly-side.jpg
http://www.sakurawigs.com/bwigs/r01.jpg

Any thoughts?

Katsumiyo
11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
@Gowa: Wow, three? I'll be bringing a Viral friend with me when I cosplay as Adiane, but she'll be in the Dai-Gurren Capt. Viral outfit, so abuse is noncanon, I think.
@OwlDepot: I'd go with the Amphigory color, because the Sakura one looks too dark.

kalajessta
11-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I'd use 100% cotton in something similar to broadcloth.

The thing with broadcloth is that is rather thin and I'm just not picturing that Simon's cloak would be like such.

Rikkizilla
11-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I always seem to ask for so much help from this thread (and I always appreciate the answers I recieve, thanks guys XD!) Does anyone have any suggestions for a good base wig for Kamina? If I could get away without having to dye it, that would be awesome.

tsukishiro.chan
11-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Well, im planning to do a Simon (younger) Costume, but i might have a problem with the bare chested-ness, maybe i could try a nude colored cloth and wrap?, hm. any suggestions?

kalajessta
11-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, im planning to do a Simon (younger) Costume, but i might have a problem with the bare chested-ness, maybe i could try a nude colored cloth and wrap?, hm. any suggestions?

I'm attempting to find either a nude color body suit or if I can't find a decently cheap one, I'm going to buy nude color ace bandages. I also have my compression shirt that I attempted to die a nude color, but it doesn't match my skin, so I may not use it.

Varnani
11-26-2007, 11:43 PM
The thing with broadcloth is that is rather thin and I'm just not picturing that Simon's cloak would be like such.

If it was lined, broadcloth would work fine. Just use the same color as the outside as the inside otherwise there will be a color difference....it may even be a good idea to double up on the fabric so light won't show through.

On second thought, try to find some twill in the right color and line THAT in broadcloth. Keep in mind if you wash it, broadcloth will change color. (Unless I think if you permanent press it with an iron first.)

kalajessta
11-27-2007, 12:06 AM
If it was lined, broadcloth would work fine. Just use the same color as the outside as the inside otherwise there will be a color difference....it may even be a good idea to double up on the fabric so light won't show through.

On second thought, try to find some twill in the right color and line THAT in broadcloth. Keep in mind if you wash it, broadcloth will change color. (Unless I think if you permanent press it with an iron first.)

I live on twill for most of my cosplays. I was slightly thinking more... on the line of burlap (but not). I'm almost kind that Simon's cloak is similar to the Lord of the Ring cloaks in a strange sense. But I have no idea what they made them out of.

Varnani
11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Wool, mayhaps?

Maybe molepig hair. >_>

Thia Fayne
11-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Rikkizilla - I just ordered an Angela 750 in Dark Blue (I think) from Cosworx for my group's Kamina. The Angela is a good base wig because it's quite thick and so has a lot of fiber to work with when making spikes -- I speak from experience here. That's what I'd recommend.

tsukishiro - For my Simon cosplay, I was planning on just extending the bandages he wears over his stomach up over the binding, but I'm considering a fleshtone bodysuit as well.

kalajessta - The Fellowship cloaks were made out of a thin wool, I think. *LOTR nerd* I think a linen or linen-look fabric would probably also work for the look you're trying to get.

Haha, molepig hair. XD

Doctor Blind
11-27-2007, 12:22 AM
... where would you get a fleshtone bodysuit, Thia? o__O?

toastbrot
11-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm really bad with picking good fabric for my costumes and they always end up being EPIC FAIL D:

Any fabric recommendations for Simons pre-timeskip costume? Mainly the jacket leaves me clueless. T__T

kalajessta
11-28-2007, 03:18 PM
kalajessta - The Fellowship cloaks were made out of a thin wool, I think. *LOTR nerd* I think a linen or linen-look fabric would probably also work for the look you're trying to get.

Thanks! I'll look around a bit. I really hate sewing with actual linen but maybe something will come across by.

Also, I was considering possibly trying to pull off a human! Boota (episode 26) cosplay at some point. I know for sure I'll definantly need a body suit for that one. But I'm still not sure about cosplaying that one. Would that be considered cosplaying a furry?

Thia Fayne
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm really bad with picking good fabric for my costumes and they always end up being EPIC FAIL D:

Any fabric recommendations for Simons pre-timeskip costume? Mainly the jacket leaves me clueless. T__T

I'm making my jacket out of cotton. ^^;

kabuki_ikenie
11-28-2007, 04:39 PM
my friend who did pre-TS simon used polyester... but cotton jersey is better.

fishchan
11-28-2007, 04:51 PM
there's a stickied thread in the crossplay forum that talks about how to deal with bare chested-ness if you're a girl. i think it only works well for girls with smaller chests to begin with.

iloveboba8D
11-28-2007, 06:13 PM
im planning on doing nia anti-spiral form. would you guys consider using fabric paint for the whole computer part?

KaZzu
11-28-2007, 08:08 PM
im planning on doing nia anti-spiral form. would you guys consider using fabric paint for the whole computer part?

Im helping my girlfriend do ninja nia. were planning on using fabric paint as well... i am a bit worried that it'll end up looking bad though

kalajessta
11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
What are some good methods to make Simon's spiral necklace? I've heard craft foam and then sculpy/fimo as well. I don't want something that is too heavy, but I don't want something that will be fragile either. Also, I'm looking for more ideas on how to make his googles. Any suggestions?

toastbrot
11-30-2007, 11:07 AM
What are some good methods to make Simon's spiral necklace? I've heard craft foam and then sculpy/fimo as well. I don't want something that is too heavy, but I don't want something that will be fragile either. Also, I'm looking for more ideas on how to make his googles. Any suggestions?

My friend made it out of fimo (some kind of 'transparent' fimo but it wasn't transparent at all) The trouble with fimo is, you just cant get it 'edgy', for example, all the edges will be slightly rounded and Simon's drill really is very pointy and edgy. I don't know, maybe you'll manage...it's kind of fragile too. If you drop fimo that hasn't been coated with something, it breaks instantly.

Craft foam sounds good too but wouldn't that be like super light? o.O

I dunno, I'm trying to make mine with a special method but I don't know if it will work out yet. I want to make it light up too with a pulsating LED light. But I'll tell you if my idea works out xD

'bout the goggles...I haven't made them yet but I'll probably want to make them out of some leathery/rubbery stuff. Not sure yet...also looking for suggestions~

OwlDepot
12-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Let's give this thread a healthy bump. How are you folks coming along on your costumes? I love seeing in progress pics.

I finished my Boota. Had to make him twice, because the first one was way too big. :( Oh well, at least I got the pattern down. http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=97880&member=91350

Tenshiryuu
12-02-2007, 01:14 AM

I had a friend who used Sculpey for the drill. It wasn't transparent, but we did paint it silver. He got the grooves and pointed tip no problem, it's just a matter of working with it and sanding/filing it. As for the goggles, if you have any costume stores nearby check there. I found round yellow lensed goggles at one near me, all you would need to do if you find a good base is to make a cover for them out of red pleather.

toastbrot
12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
I found round yellow lensed goggles at one near me, all you would need to do if you find a good base is to make a cover for them out of red pleather.

Pleather was my first thought too...but you would need some kind of filling to make it stiffer, no? oO

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=97880&member=91350

Aww, cute boota! I love his eyes and tail~ <33

Tenshiryuu
12-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Actually, the pleather I found IS really stiff, and would probably work perfectly. All I know is that the top surface is red, and the bottom is black. It's stiffer than the other types of pleather that I've seen.

Varnani
12-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Im helping my girlfriend do ninja nia. were planning on using fabric paint as well... i am a bit worried that it'll end up looking bad though

It may be better(and cheaper) to go with acrylic paint...as long as you add fabric medium to it, it should be fine. Making a stencil and taping it down really well should help too and don't forget to put paper down underneath it. (But not just any paper, wax paper, otherwise you'll get paper stuck to your fabric....*knows from experience*...>_> )

I painted my Adiene sleeves that way and they came out great, I think. Sorta stiff though cause there were so many layers of paint on it.

(Something with fabric medium will be very important for a bodysuit though, without it I can't help but think that the paint would crack...)

KaZzu
12-02-2007, 11:20 PM
It may be better(and cheaper) to go with acrylic paint...as long as you add fabric medium to it, it should be fine. Making a stencil and taping it down really well should help too and don't forget to put paper down underneath it. (But not just any paper, wax paper, otherwise you'll get paper stuck to your fabric....*knows from experience*...>_> )

I painted my Adiene sleeves that way and they came out great, I think. Sorta stiff though cause there were so many layers of paint on it.

(Something with fabric medium will be very important for a bodysuit though, without it I can't help but think that the paint would crack...)

Fabric medium? You mean like use some cheap fabric to paint the acrylic on? And with the stencil...why wax paper? I know I must be misunderstanding most everything you've said XD Im terrible at crafting lingo D:

Cracking is a huge concern since the suit will be very strechy, but the idea sounds better than what I had in mind .___.

Rikkizilla
12-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Fabric medium is something you add to acrylic paint to make it... more pliable for working with fabric and makes it so it's not as stiff, I think... I'm not terribly sure. ^^;

The_Chibi
12-03-2007, 12:34 PM
*jumps into conversation* Howdy people! I'm going to cosplay (pre-timeskip...haven't even seen all of the series yet! lol) Yoko in June at A-kon. I've already started working on the costume because this is only my 4th costume ever, and it's definitely the most complicated! I'm sure I'll need advice and input, especially when it comes to her sniper rifle and her hair, but for the moment I'm happy with what I've got so far. I chose to cosplay her because I love her outfit and think she's really cool (even if she is the token fanservice character). ^_^;

Right now I'm finishing up her little skull hair clip thingy. I painted the eyes on it last night and I'm hoping to get out my hot glue gun and glue it to the metal clip sometime today. :D I made the bracelet things last weekend and painted some chopsticks yellow for her hair. I already own a pair of short black shorts and a white studded belt. So that just leaves...everything else. X_X; I'm really worried about making the sniper rifle...but luckily, I asked my dad if he happened to have any PVC pipe and he donated two really long pieces of PVC pipe for my cosplay! XD Don't know what else I'm going to make it out of but I've been saving random things I find that look like they could be useful. I'm not going to worry too much about that for now. I want to start sewing the flame boot covers over winter break, and order her safely glasses and pink thigh highs. I'll post pics of the few accessories I've made so far just for fun. I'm happy with the way things are turning out so far...just worried I'll screw up on the hair and gun. D:

cutekawaii
12-03-2007, 08:58 PM
*jumps in* Ok I haven't cosplayed in QUITE SOME TIME but omg... LOVE this series. I am Gainax's bitch (I say as I have a half finished Abenobashi costume lying around...). Anyway I think I wanna make Yoko, besides the gun and wig it doesn't look too time consuming, and time is one thing I do not have (although this costume will demand infinite squats). But! I'm having trouble finding boots online and eBay is failing me... where did people get theirs?

HUMBLE REQUEST for people wearing fleshed colored tops for the male characters - please please PLEASE airbrush on shadows/muscles! (T_T) Nothing looks worse than a completely flat chest, especially when the character is supposed to be buff. Check out pics of dudes in muscle mags for ideas on where to shade. Seriously, it'll look 945i8685646 times better (and hotter).

ph1shf00d
12-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Fabric medium? You mean like use some cheap fabric to paint the acrylic on? And with the stencil...why wax paper? I know I must be misunderstanding most everything you've said XD Im terrible at crafting lingo D:

Cracking is a huge concern since the suit will be very strechy, but the idea sounds better than what I had in mind .___.

That should work. FOr my Sasuke shirt, I mixed white acrylic with some white fabric paint I had lying around, and it worked fine. Acrylic really helps if you're running low on fabric paint (I think most fabric paints come in really small bottles...)

I'm pretty sure she's suggesting that you use wax paper because regular paper will get wet from the paint and stick to your garment. Shitsux when that happens. Also speaking from experience XD. Another method to use (takes a bit more effort, though... Might want to keep this in mind if you even want to silkscreen stuff) is that silkscreening tutorial on LJ. Basically, take an old stocking, stretch it through an embroidery hoop, "paint" the negative space (the parts that you don't want any paint to go through) with some Mod Podge glue, wait for it to dry, and then dab the paint through the stencil (the dried glue will prevent the fabric paint from leaking through, leaving only your painted design on the garment). For more complex designs, using paper could be a hassle, especially if you have to tape it down or something. The stencil stays put, and it pretty portable if you want to use it in other areas of the garment.

Stenciling helps a lot. It's kinda surprising. Even if you're doing a really basic design, it helps to use a stencil and "dab" the paint instead of painting it like you'd use regular paint (brush strokes and stuff). If you apply a liberal amount of paint, it comes out really even and smooth.

Good luck!

Thia Fayne
12-03-2007, 09:58 PM
My Simon wig arrived, yay for Cosworx and their fast shipping! It's really nice and soft and I like it a lot. ^____^

kalajessta
12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
My Simon wig arrived, yay for Cosworx and their fast shipping! It's really nice and soft and I like it a lot. ^____^

What wig did you buy? I have to buy mine soon, hoping it will arrive in time for Ohayo Con.

The_Chibi
12-03-2007, 10:47 PM
*jumps in* Ok I haven't cosplayed in QUITE SOME TIME but omg... LOVE this series. I am Gainax's bitch (I say as I have a half finished Abenobashi costume lying around...). Anyway I think I wanna make Yoko, besides the gun and wig it doesn't look too time consuming, and time is one thing I do not have (although this costume will demand infinite squats). But! I'm having trouble finding boots online and eBay is failing me... where did people get theirs?

HUMBLE REQUEST for people wearing fleshed colored tops for the male characters - please please PLEASE airbrush on shadows/muscles! (T_T) Nothing looks worse than a completely flat chest, especially when the character is supposed to be buff. Check out pics of dudes in muscle mags for ideas on where to shade. Seriously, it'll look 945i8685646 times better (and hotter).
I'm cosplaying Yoko too, and as far as boots go, I'm just going to suck it up and make some boot covers (for the first time!) since I already have a pair of black ankle boots that are a similar shape and the heels aren't too high...

I've looked around online a little and the only white boots with red flames I've found are uh...stripper boots. XD http://cgi.ebay.com/Sexy-Ankle-White-Flame-Dancer-Platform-Stripper-Boots-8_W0QQitemZ120191136502QQihZ002QQcategoryZ63889QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
They have a 5" heel, so they're far from ideal for cosplay (I cringe at the thought of running around the dealers room, let around the entire convention in those things! Ouch!) >_<; If you don't want to make boot covers, I suppose your could find some white ankle boots with a 2" or so heel and just paint on the red flames. Only reason I'm not going this route is because boots are expensive and Yoko's boots are really quite loose at the top (unlike realistic non-anime boots.) Best of luck in your quest for Yoko's boots! ^_^

Thia Fayne
12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
What wig did you buy? I have to buy mine soon, hoping it will arrive in time for Ohayo Con.

The Scruffy in Midnight Blue. =) It shipped in less than a week, but only live a state away from Cosworx, so that might have something to do with it. You should be able to get it by Ohayocon though.

Muze
12-03-2007, 11:47 PM

As I do recall, they don't have dark blue? (their dark blue is actually neon blue)

I didn't made this drill, but just so you guys have an idea

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v647/muze/?action=view&current=DSC01145.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v647/muze/?action=view&current=DSC01144.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v647/muze/?action=view&current=DSC01143.jpg

Varnani
12-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Another method to use (takes a bit more effort, though... Might want to keep this in mind if you even want to silkscreen stuff) is that silkscreening tutorial on LJ. Basically, take an old stocking, stretch it through an embroidery hoop, "paint" the negative space (the parts that you don't want any paint to go through) with some Mod Podge glue, wait for it to dry, and then dab the paint through the stencil (the dried glue will prevent the fabric paint from leaking through, leaving only your painted design on the garment). For more complex designs, using paper could be a hassle, especially if you have to tape it down or something. The stencil stays put, and it pretty portable if you want to use it in other areas of the garment.

Stenciling helps a lot. It's kinda surprising. Even if you're doing a really basic design, it helps to use a stencil and "dab" the paint instead of painting it like you'd use regular paint (brush strokes and stuff). If you apply a liberal amount of paint, it comes out really even and smooth.

Good luck!

Ah, that's even better than what I suggested! I wish I had known about that sort of screenprinting...(I took a graphic arts class and yet I still manage to not think of the easiest method of how to put a design on fabric. :/ I fail.)

I suggested acrylic and fabric medium because acrylic paint comes in much larger containers than regular fabric paint and is cheaper per ounce(or whatever unit of measurement) and fabric medium is (I believe?) about the same amount as one little tube of fabric paint but when added to acrylic it makes much more.

Gowa-chan
12-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Ah, that's even better than what I suggested! I wish I had known about that sort of screenprinting...(I took a graphic arts class and yet I still manage to not think of the easiest method of how to put a design on fabric. :/ I fail.)

I suggested acrylic and fabric medium because acrylic paint comes in much larger containers than regular fabric paint and is cheaper per ounce(or whatever unit of measurement) and fabric medium is (I believe?) about the same amount as one little tube of fabric paint but when added to acrylic it makes much more.

I think something that will help people with this method of painting is knowing the actual name of the stuff that you mix with the acrylic paint. Its called Textile Medium and is usually found with the acrylic paints in craft stores and such. A nifty method I use with it is mixing 2 parts acrylic paint, 1 part textile medium (aka 2/3 acrylic paint, 1/3 textile medium) paint/stencil it on, and then use a hair dryer or iron to heat seal it. Its perfectly washable this way, and it won't crack unless you have tons of layers of the paint. (I used this method for the decorations on Vaati's sleeves and making BeniBara shirts for my group)

kabuki_ikenie
12-04-2007, 06:13 AM
stencil tip: use adhesive PVC (or adhesive acetate)... adhesive PVC is used on cut plotters for making stickers. they make fantastic stencils, as they don't move from place.

aaaannnnddd... about airbrushing muscles over skin bodysuits: why fake it badly if you don't have it? i thought of adding nipples to my shirt (BAD thought) for accuracy, but it looks pretty weird. the idea is simulate bare skin. in my case, cosplaying kamina is my second barechested cosplay i do (enel was the first) and all the people who saw myself at the con told me that the skin top as the way it was didn't bother them at all. but i did raise my chest with bandages (it hurted SO much XD D: )

cutekawaii
12-04-2007, 10:02 AM
why fake it badly if you don't have it? i thought of adding nipples to my shirt (BAD thought) for accuracy, but it looks pretty weird. the idea is simulate bare skin. in my case, cosplaying kamina is my second barechested cosplay i do (enel was the first) Yeah but bare skin isn't totally flat. Kamina has abs and pecs (and nipples!), he's hot drawn to look like a peice of paper.

Thia Fayne
12-04-2007, 10:05 AM
As I do recall, they don't have dark blue? (their dark blue is actually neon blue)

There's a Sepia brand color called Midnight Blue, which is blue and black strands mixed. It makes a really nice dark blue. ^^

fatalinjection
12-04-2007, 10:11 AM
There's a Sepia brand color called Midnight Blue, which is blue and black strands mixed. It makes a really nice dark blue. ^^

That's what I used for my Adiane wig. http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc317/fatalinjection88/adiane1.jpg (Ignore the eyepatch, it was for a 'formal' costume, not the actual one, haha). It's a bit lighter than it looks here, too. Perfect color.