PDA

View Full Version : Worst Con Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (...Your views?)

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 01:51 PM
OK a great number of people are really ticked at this cons staff and security they were so Nazi like and you were pretty much not aloud to have fun at this con, THe con staff was way to power hungry and even on top of that the police were also quite jerks about after the rave giving people a hard time for the way peiople were dressed

Im officaly Starting a Boycott for this convention and writing the head of AMA a nasty letter plese let me know what u guys think!

D2RCR
06-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Don't boycott the convention, Richmond police were there because a huge number of people violated the city's curfew last year, and that was the decision of the convention centre and not the AMA staff.

Still, this year's AMA was terrible compared to last year's, and I hope AMA moves to a different venue next year.

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Well ok besides the police there con staff was a bit on the WTF side

LaPetiteSalope
06-17-2007, 02:32 PM
This was my first year to this con and definitely my last. You shouldn't go through the trouble of boycotting the con-just don't go again next year. It's as simple as that. The high nazi security shouldn't be all blamed on the con either but rather on the immature con goers who make it that way (like vandalizing property). I think the whole issue with the hotel staff knocking and raiding peoples rooms was waaaay over the top and and such an invasion of privacy. They should have handled the situation better.

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Sadly, I DO think SOME (not all, because a few members of security were really cool...the chief of security was pretty awesome himself [he gave me a job...o.o"]) of the security was over-the-edge...we got chewed out for sitting on the escalator (yeah, I know, bad idea, but my friend was tired and she was technically kneeling.) and for not having a safe-bonded yaoi-paddle. >_>" And the safe-bond-tie scratched off a LOT of the finish on the poor paddle...T_T

The dealers room was ok...I know I spent most of my money ($60 of the $81 I had brought...<.< >.>) in there...and the con-goers were pretty cool. The rave was disappointing, and the curfew made us have to get extra keycards since the ppl in my group were all below 18...it wasnt BAD...just rather disappointing...I dunno if I go again, but probably not...

Revlis Wings
06-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I went to AMA 5 and it was really fun while it still was in a hotel. I think one of the major problems is that the con isn't that big, but it's in this huge convention center, and it just dosen't make sense. Some of the security didn't make sense to me, espeically all the hype about curfew, which makes me want ot turn away from it next year if its still in richmond, becasue most of the people in my group were underage. I don't think it was the "worst" ever, but I was really disspointed about how the whole thing was run and the big space, I think it would have been worse if I wasn't with a big group.

SunDemyxCloud55
06-17-2007, 03:53 PM
For my first con it was great, But standing in line for Unicorn Table, They man yell at us alot and we were like still against the wall. He said we were to far out and stuff, It made me soo mad. Because the same guy yelled at a group of FF, Naruto and others, we were in. We all got yelled out because we werent against the wall. But it was such a huge group, we couldn't really do it.

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Well i guess it depends on certain people on how they feel but i do know im gonna be a huge huge jerk torwards this con

Chibi_Misao1
06-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I've been coming to AMA since 2003. It was my home convention when I lived there. But then I moved to NC and still came to AMA. It was my first convention, and I loved it.
Each year it keeps getting worse, and I don't want to see it get worse, but I can't do much.

I really... REALLY hope AMA moves. Because if it's at the same convention center AND Hotel, im not returning.

I am an 18 year old female, I OPEN my hotel room door to see if my friend was returning to my room, and before I can EVEN look out, a hotel Manager walked past the door and says "Stay in your room. Your not aloud out." ...UM... WTF.. Does it look like im in a jail? Am I an animel? Excuse me, im paying to stay at their damn hotel, im ABLE to leave when I want.
Oh, and that's not all.
Two other people that we're rooming with us brought this girl in that I didn't really like(she was drunk, im not a fan of drunks), so me and four other people are sitting against the wall RIGHT next to our room and another Manager walks up to us and says "Excuse me. You need to get up and return to your room RIGHT NOW. If you don't do so, im sending you home." ...You send me home, you get no money out of me.
I was treated rudely. I couldn't even walk down to the resturant to have dinner without a Manager GRABBING me and asking if I stayed in the hotel. ... Um, I just walked out of my fucking room dude.. Are you serious?
OH, and after the firedrill at 3:30am. We walked ALL THE WAY DOWN THE STAIRS. And when it went off, they we're checking people that came out of the stair well, asking if they have a room key and we're staying at the hotel. Dumbass's much?

I also don't like when the con security grabs my Harkonnen when I walk out of the elevator IN THE HOTEL, Telling me "You need to go back to your room right now. Im not going to let you in the convention center with this gun." ........ I'd like a "Excuse me miss, im sorry but there's a gun policy for the convention center, can you take that back to your room?" ... I swear I will never return if it's at the same hotel because of what has happened to me. You DON'T grab me by my arms or grab anything in my hands.

Im sorry, I love a lot of the staff there, but I can't stand what has happened to AMA.

Tenriyuu86
06-17-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't know about this I really didn't have much of a problem with the security, I've been hastled with worse. This is the only con I've really attended. True they were quite anal but thats what the AMA Feedback was for on Sunday, should have told them there. The con was pretty unorganized and the one's before were alot more fun, probably because it was a smaller space and everything was close to eachother, true it got really crowded really fast but they did have anime on all hours of the day.

spanner
06-17-2007, 04:19 PM
OH, and after the firedrill at 3:30am. We walked ALL THE WAY DOWN THE STAIRS. And when it went off, they we're checking people that came out of the stair well, asking if they have a room key and we're staying at the hotel. Dumbass's much?

wtf firedrill?

stafffighter
06-17-2007, 04:24 PM
The fire alarm was PULLED at 3:30 last night. Not exactly clear on the details as I slept through it.

fatalinjection
06-17-2007, 04:25 PM
The fire alarm was PULLED at 3:30 last night. Not exactly clear on the details as I slept through it.

Damn, me too, I was sound asleep...hope there ever isn't a real fire while I'm sleeping >_>;

Reiko
06-17-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't know about this I really didn't have much of a problem with the security, I've been hastled with worse. This is the only con I've really attended. True they were quite anal but thats what the AMA Feedback was for on Sunday, should have told them there. The con was pretty unorganized and the one's before were alot more fun, probably because it was a smaller space and everything was close to eachother, true it got really crowded really fast but they did have anime on all hours of the day.

I have to agree with you on this. AMA staff have always treated me and my friends very nice.

but again we dont run/ jump/ scream at the top of our lungs in the con center.

my friends and I had a great time. as for Hotel and Con center you cant blame one for the other, they are both seprate.

I personally though having more space was great. more we were only asked by Convention sercuity.... NOT The staff for AMA but the people who ran the con center to move away from the fire door.

I bet they were like that cus the police were around there, and if they dont comply with state regulations they could be fined.

Over all I had a blast, just like every AMA I've been too.

spanner
06-17-2007, 04:50 PM

That is hilarious. I did not hear one single thing.

Shuichi_Huggler
06-17-2007, 05:19 PM
I'll admit that I enjoyed AMA a tad more when it was at the hotels because there weren't as many rules, but I think boycotting the convention is going overboard.
They're just trying to expand and allow con-goers to see concerts, etc. that wouldn't have been possible in the smaller amount of space.
I was irked that I couldn't go to karaoke or the rave because of curfew, but it will always be my favorite convention (its cosplay is always the best I've ever seen) and I'll be 18 this year anyway.

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 05:20 PM
if you have your room key or a legal guardian with you, its fine. I'm 14 and I had my keycard...*shrugs*

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I'll admit that I enjoyed AMA a tad more when it was at the hotels because there weren't as many rules, but I think boycotting the convention is going overboard.
They're just trying to expand and allow con-goers to see concerts, etc. that wouldn't have been possible in the smaller amount of space.
I was irked that I couldn't go to karaoke or the rave because of curfew, but it will always be my favorite convention (its cosplay is always the best I've ever seen) and I'll be 18 this year anyway.

no u gotta look at it like this though name me one other con that has a curfew and they ban all fun i meen me and my friends were watching how we walked cuz if we stepped at the same time by accident it might be considered to much fun

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 05:33 PM
...it wasnt THAT bad...O.o" the curfew sucked arse, yes, but not ALL of security was bad, and like it was stated before, if you followed the rules the security didnt completely KNAW you....>_>"

Tenriyuu86
06-17-2007, 05:36 PM
no u gotta look at it like this though name me one other con that has a curfew and they ban all fun i meen me and my friends were watching how we walked cuz if we stepped at the same time by accident it might be considered to much fun

It is not the Cons fault for having curfew, blame Virginia and Richmond. We have always had a curfew of 11 p.m. ALWAYS. I tried going to see Return of the King an 8 p.m. show and they flat out refused tickets because I was 17. So please, please, PLEASE DO NOT BLAME THE CON!!! They have to obey the curfew or they will be heavily penalized for breaking the curfew law.

Reiko
06-17-2007, 05:41 PM

lol try to boycott The state of virginia. Those are the peeps that make the rules.

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 05:43 PM
ummm no AUSA dose not have a Curfew and neither Dose Neko

spanner
06-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Richmond has the curfew, not the whole state of Virginia.

fatalinjection
06-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, a lot of the staff were power-tripping assholes (like last year), but the curfew thing wasn't their fault.

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 05:48 PM
its the city of Richmond that has the curfew. I've heard by things about the area...>.<

Tenriyuu86
06-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Hmm I guess it's just Richmond and the general area because where my parents live they also have curfew, its in Chesterfield not too far just 30 minutes way-ish. But they really do heavily enforce that law. It makes me sad. Good thing I'm old enough now! =D

Shuichi_Huggler
06-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Hmm I guess it's just Richmond and the general area because where my parents live they also have curfew, its in Chesterfield not too far just 30 minutes way-ish. But they really do heavily enforce that law. It makes me sad. Good thing I'm old enough now! =D

It annoys me because I will be old enough in like 3 months.
Ah well. xD;;;

Tenriyuu86
06-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I can understand Richmond heavily enforcing the curfew though. Shhhhhhh don't tell your parents this but we are like the third highest in the country and murder and crimes and like the top in the country for STD's yeah we're not proud of being that popular in those areas... >.>;

bamboocactus
06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I dunno, I thought con security was a lot better this year, mainly because there was such a high volume of complaints about the power-trippers last year. I don't know if any of you got this, but I was approached twice by the guy who ran AMA security to ask me if I wanted to work the concert or the rave or whatever; they were desperate for people and he was literally just pulling anyone he could. That's part of why you get the power-trippers. When I got to the rave around midnight, though, the people at the door were very nice and such. The cops didn't bother me and mine and neither did con centre or AMA security, but as someone mentioned above, we also weren't running around tackling people and screaming ;)

I feel that it was better this year as far as the staff, but the overall con kinda wasn't as fun as it was last year. Boycott it if you want, but the people that want to go, will go. You don't have to.

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
*laughs* Baltimore is worse...or about equal...I live in the DC-ish area...so I'm getting used to crime (my MP3 player was stolen in the gym locker room. -.-") ...but we dont have curfew laws...

NeoLunaAngel
06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Wow...I had no idea people thought anything bad about the con ^_^

I had a great time! I thought security was helpful, none of the doorcheckers were rude about checing badges, and when I stopped for pictures no one yelled at me ^_^

I had a wonderful time at the con and I plan to continue to attend it wherever AMA staff plans to hold it ^_^

I just hope the hotel is nice enough to invite the con back next year...

Shuichi_Huggler
06-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I can understand Richmond heavily enforcing the curfew though. Shhhhhhh don't tell your parents this but we are like the third highest in the country and murder and crimes and like the top in the country for STD's yeah we're not proud of being that popular in those areas... >.>;

I most definitely understand why they enforce the curfew now then. >.>;;;;
The staff overall is pretty nice.
There was a security person with a wip though.
That kind of scared me. xD

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 06:06 PM
yeah...they got mad at us con-goers and banned the use of the way to the lobby...>.< so you had to take a detour...run to the third floor, then down the halls to the elevator...>.< I was just like, screw this, and ran to my floor...(which was 10th)...I still beat my friends by about 2 minutes...XD

Tenriyuu86
06-17-2007, 06:08 PM
*Sniffs* I miss Baltimore... ='(

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I could only go for the day last year...and even then, we left at 8 p.m.

kaligoddess
06-17-2007, 06:26 PM
I didn't have a single problem with staff, the convention center security or my hotel. Perhaps that was because I do things like walk and talk with an indoor voice, but who knows.

Reiko
06-17-2007, 06:34 PM
yeah...they got mad at us con-goers and banned the use of the way to the lobby...>.< so you had to take a detour...run to the third floor, then down the halls to the elevator...>.< I was just like, screw this, and ran to my floor...(which was 10th)...I still beat my friends by about 2 minutes...XD

lol I actually think there was a wedding going on... and it was a private thing so... that why we detoured it.

fatalinjection
06-17-2007, 06:36 PM
lol I actually think there was a wedding going on... and it was a private thing so... that why we detoured it.

Wedding? It seemed like a get rich quick scheme, they kept saying that they were having meetings.

Tenriyuu86
06-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Yeah I read on a few of their name tags that it was some kind of get rich quick scheme. I actually tried my hardest not to laugh at it... I was failing.

fatalinjection
06-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah I read on a few of their name tags that it was some kind of get rich quick scheme. I actually tried my hardest not to laugh at it... I was failing.

Oh, I laughed. Obviously their scheme couldn't be TOO smart if they weren't smart enough to schedule it on a weekend that a bunch of anime dorks wouldn't be running around.

spanner
06-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Of course it was a scheme. I mean, the people who put it together were from "Rich Dad Education." Can't get more shady than that.

stafffighter
06-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I had no real problem with the con staff and security people. Sure they were overzealous at times but there a bunch of crazed anime dorks running around.

As for the wedding people,I was nearly trampled by the bridal party as they got off the elevator.

Kawaii Kenshin
06-17-2007, 06:52 PM
I actually enjoyed the con quite a bit. However, my friend and I weren't running aorund/screaming either. The only security problem was the lady yelling at the line before the rave, but it was probably needed so I can't blame her too much. The curfew wasn't an issue since I had my room key and can pass for 18 pretty easily.

I also found most of the people from the wedding/scheme to be rather nice and cordial. Even when I wa sin cosplay! One woman actually seemed curious and interested. However, there was this one group of old businessmen who were exteremly rude and showed some real elistism and ignorance. >_<

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 06:56 PM
oh god, yes...I was about to enter the door to the stairs since the elevators were off-limits and the bride and groom were like, "We just came from a wedding, we need to get to our room. Why cant we take the elevator?"
I didnt get to hear what his reply was cuz I was in a hurry but yeah...O.o

NiceGai44
06-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Con was so so but I must say the people I chilled with made it awesome. Pool Parties and Bleach Party Friday were my highlights and enough to get me have a great weekend.

dizzylizzy
06-17-2007, 07:34 PM
I had a great time at the con! There was a lot of events/programming/workshops that I wanted to go to. I was only able to attend a few. Oh well! Staff was great (shout out to the staff that worked the hall and masq contests: You guys have always been there for us cosplayers. Thank you SO much.)

As for security... the REAL security, deal. : ) They are there to protect you and to make sure people are doing stupid shit. I wore skates knowing FULL well I'd be told (not asked) to take them off. :: grins:: Mad at them for being stern? No. Mad at them for the curfew? Nope! (As an old fart, I giggled when the announcement came on. Sorry! ^^ )

The hotel: I had nothing but an outstanding experience with them. Check in was fast, they helped me upload my car/take to room (YES I TIPPED. I HOPE YOU DID.), restaurant staff was grateful... everything I needed was brought to me asap (fridge, a plumber.... 3 times. lol), and so on. Even with the blocked off area for the wedding on Sat nite, the gentleman kindly informed me and I went up the steps. No harm, no foul. I could use the walk! Ha! As a bride to be myself, I wouldn't want ya'll near my wedding. lol Plus, it's a NICE hotel, an evening wedding, huge ballroom .... PRICEY. Gotta stay upclass.

The seminar..... I really couldn't STOP laughing every time I walked by. I kept making comments about how the guy putting on the seminar is the person making the money. That's HOW you get rich quick. You make up a crap idea and then do seminars. ::chuckles::

Oh, someone mentioned con staff breaking up parties? lol Um... no. Con staff is for the CON. The hotel and cops did. If any party is broken up, it's obviously because you were creating a disturbance and/or underage drinking. Deal. (This is NOT directed at Chibi Misao's situation.)

XoPinkuSpiderxo
06-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I had no problem with the CON security, or the police. Neither bothered us much at all because me and my friends tried our best to be civil.

Although the hotel staff, MUCH different situation. Saturday night after the masquerade me and my friends returned to our hotelroom after performing and was stopped and told to go up 6 flights of stairs because the elevators were "broken" and magically worked for people who couldn't fit up the stairs.

BUT

The man opening and closing the rope thing had just closed it, turned around and saw my friend (L in the cake). He stomped his foot, rolled his eyes, sighed and shouted "GOD DAMNIT" and only then did he open the rope for my friend to get through. I stared straight at him with my hand on my hip and said "It's a shame isn't it!" and he rolled his eyes at me. By then I was feeling childish so as I passed I shouted "FAT MAN FAT MAN!!!" because he angered me so much.

Also on our way to the rave we were stopped because we tried to go through that "seminar" hallway to get to the lobby to meet up with my friends mom. We were told if we wanted to get to the lobby, we had to go through the convention center and cross two streets to get to the front of the hotel. So here me and our friends are, in not much of anything walking the streets of Richmond at night when we were told specifically not to go outside.

I was also told I wasn't aloud to come out of my room, when I went into the hall to make a private phone call. After the rave we went to the elevators and were stopped (along with another large crowd of people) and told "If you are not staying in this hotel, LEAVE. There are no parties here, capich?" We all just stood there silently. Again he said "I said LEAVE! There are no parties!" me and my friends got fed up and went up the stairs because they had stopped so many people we never would have gotten up the elevators.\

Other than the hotel, I had a very fun experience at this AMA.

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 07:44 PM
ack, the hotel guys slightly annoyed even me. I was in the ELEVATOR with the head of the hotel...and I was dressed for bed and holding an ice container...I told him that the icemaker on the 10th floor (our floor) was out of ice and he said "Ok, Its out of water. You have your ice though. Stay in your rooms after this." and I was just like...O.o"

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 08:07 PM
ok im think im gonna send a note to the marriot headquarters also cuz i meen come on this is just retarted they need to take a look into there hotel staff

Reiko
06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Wedding? It seemed like a get rich quick scheme, they kept saying that they were having meetings.

Saturday night it was a wedding.... did you see all those people dressed in nice clothes...

the bride and groom left around 11 ish... she was pretty...

Shuichi_Huggler
06-17-2007, 08:09 PM
I think something similar happened to us last year...
I think it was at AMA...>.>
But anyway, after cosplay, we had to run up like 8 flights of stairs because the elevators weren't working.
And my friend was lugging a trophy. o.o;;;

MidnightRequiem
06-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I have to agree with you on this. AMA staff have always treated me and my friends very nice.

but again we dont run/ jump/ scream at the top of our lungs in the con center.

my friends and I had a great time. as for Hotel and Con center you cant blame one for the other, they are both seprate.

I personally though having more space was great. more we were only asked by Convention sercuity.... NOT The staff for AMA but the people who ran the con center to move away from the fire door.

I bet they were like that cus the police were around there, and if they dont comply with state regulations they could be fined.

Over all I had a blast, just like every AMA I've been too.

So did me and my friends. I agree, the security WAS uptight, but I never really had a problem with it, except when they were rude about "safe-bonding" my plastic sword...which me and my friends proceeded to make fun of. They wanted to safe-bond my friends wall scrolls that she bought. x3

All in all, though, I had a great time. Maybe I'm just easily amused. o-o

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 08:22 PM
no u know what is total BS was the cops outside the hotel giving us crap for the way we were dressed after the rave

Lumasnati
06-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Unfortunately, someone managed to pull a fire alarm and a bunch of floors evacuated. Not everyone was told to get out and not everyone had their alarm go off.

I am very disappointed in security, programming and the masquerade.

Security: Overzealous. There is no reason for Keyblades to have their chains removed... No reason why I got yelled at for having my tail on the ground for a picture.... Some things were okay however... But I mean.. The dealers' room was 3X the size it was last year... and they still wouldn't let bags in... We can't run all the way back to our hotel room just to put a bag in, go in, come back out, and then run all the way back up. Some of us have cameras and expensive equipment on us... And many of us are in costume which makes this increasingly difficult. PLEASE. Also. The Curfew Law means that anyone under 18 can't be out without supervision! WHY WASN'T THIS ENFORCED?!

Programming: I was extremely disappointed. There was nothing to watch. The Panels weren't all that great and everything was in horrible time slots. PLEASE. Give me something to watch! Something interesting! WE WERE BORED!

Masquerade: While I understand that it is nice to have a few people do walk ons... 3 Walkons before a skit is boring... Most of the masquerade was a snore before the "If You Were Gay" And "Bishounen In Tights" skit. XD those were brilliant. It was also too short of a masquerade. We need more skits! YOU HAD MORE LAST YEAR!

Star_Angel
06-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I had a great time, no complaints with anything or anyone from the con. I actually made friends with some of the security people, they were very cool.

My only complaint was some of the people at the hotel (and I say some because a few were super nice) The gentleman who worked for the hotel who was detouring people could have used better language when looking at the L cosplayer dressed as a cake (you know instead of yelling GD he could have said Oh my God or somehting come on there are kids around here) and I think it made the girl feel aquard when the did that. A few rude people when I was in costume, I mean come on I'm not noisey at all, I may have had the biggest hips of any girl in the con Friday night (lol), and looked kind of funny with them, but dont be rude to me, because I may be teaching your kids one day, lol.

But over-all a great con, but that was also due to all the awesome poeple there.

It was also too short of a masquerade. We need more skits! YOU HAD MORE LAST YEAR!

it's not the Masquerades fault, that's all that entered. they had to work with what they got.

Tenriyuu86
06-17-2007, 08:41 PM
WTF?! Source? I doubt that we are third or anywhere close.

Woo a fellow Richmonder!! 'Tis true but it's because of all the scary places in Richmond, actual downtown Richmond is safer so.....yea. But as a whole Richmond isn't the safest, to be honest I still don't really believe the third most dangerous city in the US but I have actually seen the statistics for it...

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 08:42 PM
ok but listen honest to god why do they have a Curfew in richmond but not in the capital of the united states nor in the city with the 3rd highest death rate so i meen WTF there is nothing Special about richmond and its more of a ghost town then anything its just straight up insane i meen they knew what they were getting into when they aloud a anime con to take place at the convention center and if they had a problem with it they should have said something prior to AMA

MidnightRequiem
06-17-2007, 08:51 PM
ok but listen honest to god why do they have a Curfew in richmond but not in the capital of the united states nor in the city with the 3rd highest death rate so i meen WTF there is nothing Special about richmond and its more of a ghost town then anything its just straight up insane i meen they knew what they were getting into when they aloud a anime con to take place at the convention center and if they had a problem with it they should have said something prior to AMA

Its just the law, like some parents say you can stay out 'til midnight, while others want you home at ten. It all depends on who is in charge, and these people wanted us away at 11. However, no one ever asked me how old I was after eleven o'clock, until I tried to get into the rave at 1 am.

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Its just Insane BS.............

Shuichi_Huggler
06-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Unfortunately, someone managed to pull a fire alarm and a bunch of floors evacuated. Not everyone was told to get out and not everyone had their alarm go off.

I am very disappointed in security, programming and the masquerade.

Security: Overzealous. There is no reason for Keyblades to have their chains removed... No reason why I got yelled at for having my tail on the ground for a picture.... Some things were okay however... But I mean.. The dealers' room was 3X the size it was last year... and they still wouldn't let bags in... We can't run all the way back to our hotel room just to put a bag in, go in, come back out, and then run all the way back up. Some of us have cameras and expensive equipment on us... And many of us are in costume which makes this increasingly difficult. PLEASE. Also. The Curfew Law means that anyone under 18 can't be out without supervision! WHY WASN'T THIS ENFORCED?!

Programming: I was extremely disappointed. There was nothing to watch. The Panels weren't all that great and everything was in horrible time slots. PLEASE. Give me something to watch! Something interesting! WE WERE BORED!

Masquerade: While I understand that it is nice to have a few people do walk ons... 3 Walkons before a skit is boring... Most of the masquerade was a snore before the "If You Were Gay" And "Bishounen In Tights" skit. XD those were brilliant. It was also too short of a masquerade. We need more skits! YOU HAD MORE LAST YEAR!

We were all singing and dancing for the "If You Were Gay" skit. xD
But yeah, we were bored too.
Especially on Sunday, which is to be expected, but I still think they could have filled up that space with something.
I mean, at Otakon there was so much I wanted to do I didn't have TIME to do it all. ><

Raikou-Neko
06-17-2007, 09:07 PM
if you have so many problems with it, why don't you just not go next year? I had a few issues, but other than that, I had a great time...

Shuichi_Huggler
06-17-2007, 09:09 PM
if you have so many problems with it, why don't you just not go next year? I had a few issues, but other than that, I had a great time...

Yeah, AMA is always a fun experience for me, minus some minor stuff.

minimew
06-17-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this con was rediculous.

I'll start with the con. Security was very rude to me and my friends, not the police, they were cool, it was the staff that was giving me and my friends trouble. I don't know that one guys name, but he kept hasling me and my friends just about everywhere we went. For a moment, I thought I'd have to acctualy use my martial arts for the first time in self defence cause I thought the guy was going to jump me. >:/ Given, not all the staff were bad, quite a few were very helpful, but alot seemed like they were taking their frustration from the misbehaving con goers on the people nearest to them. I'll admit, I may have been talking and laughing a bit loudly at times, but I wasn't breaking any of the rules. The dealer's room was ok, not great, but ok, and the rave was just plain awful, they had chairs everywhere, the lights were on, NO ONE WAS DANCING, and for some reason they were tossing a big beach ball around the room. Once I was at the door, the security and staff were ok. The people at Artist ally were sooo nice and helpful, it really helped seeing as this was my first time with an artist table.

It pissed me off to no end that the hotel people were blaming us for all the bad stuff. Oh never mind there was a wedding and a get rich quick schem, I'm sorry, seminar, going on at the same time. Of course they couldn't do anything wrong l:/ I'm guessing, since they were dressed special, these guys came from the wedding, but these three REALLY drunk guys tryed hitting on me, and failed misserably. I was woken up by the fire drill but I thought it was a car alarm so I shruged it off and went back to sleep. The hotel didn't bust into my room, but I heard about it happing to other people. Scarry stuff.

It's safe to say, I am NOT coming back to this con. UNLESS they move it to some where else.

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 09:22 PM

well that is my plan but in the meen time untill next year i have a vopice and i plan on using it

bamboocactus
06-17-2007, 09:45 PM
So that means we get to listen to incessant complaining? Cool.

NarutoRaver
06-17-2007, 09:49 PM
So that means we get to listen to incessant complaining? Cool.

yes you do

squ33k t0y
06-17-2007, 11:21 PM

According to this (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html) page, Richmond isn't in the top 25, but I looked at a few other lists and it was like..number 15 o.o So um..yeah. Baltimore is always somewhere on the top 25 though..

I just got bored and looked it up xP;

Chibi_Misao1
06-17-2007, 11:23 PM

You still didn't contact me about possibly picking up my commission at while you were up here, why? (reply via PM/email ect. kthx)

Dearie, I didn't even know you we're at this AMA. You SHOULD have my cell number.

Pyked
06-17-2007, 11:34 PM
The con was very mm.. "okay". Was it worth the money spent? Probably not. The video game room was subpar in terms of space and selection. The games that were popular had a constant crowd around them eager for a turn at it while other stations were left abandoned(the majority) because they had some old schools games running. The video game room staff however was extremely helpful and understanding about the space situation not becoming nazis to keep aisles clear but just rather letting us crowd about. It was a great time in there getting my ass handed to me in Naruto xD.

OKAY, the video game room was a highlight for me. The workshop/panel times were hard to determine without a straight edge to line up against the poorly colored grid(use alternating color'd bars so people can tell what time things are, kthx) Also the rooms while labeled correctly could have benefited greatly by having WHAT was going on in that room listed on a piece of paper in front of it. They did that at katsu which was great when randomly walking down the hall.

The lack of creativity in the activities offered was also painfully apperent, though .. it is a small con.

Artist area is always a delight at AMA, no complaints... same with dealer room. Curfew has to go though, I mean 24 hour fun at a con is quite something awesome when you can do it... any place in the Richmond area where we could get a 24 hour thing going?

OH OH ! Fireworks on Saturday night! Secret awesomeness outside, anyone else catch them? (I was fortunate enough to catch them on top of the parking garage along with someone close to me, and a friend XD)

o0Hitsuzen0o
06-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I have to agree. This is the only con I've been to where you had to wear your badge even if you were just walking around.
And they put an awful orange tag-thing on my Temari fan, and it made it difficult to close it properly.

Pyked
06-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I have to agree. This is the only con I've been to where you had to wear your badge even if you were just walking around.
And they put an awful orange tag-thing on my Temari fan, and it made it difficult to close it properly.

Haha the 3day badage was ugly as hell too xD her abs of steel still haunt my nightmares

o0Hitsuzen0o
06-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Haha the 3day badage was ugly as hell too xD her abs of steel still haunt my nightmares

Oh my goodness, yes. The badges for most of the cons I go to are absolutely awful. AMA was most certainly no exception.

MidnightRequiem
06-17-2007, 11:50 PM
OH OH ! Fireworks on Saturday night! Secret awesomeness outside, anyone else catch them? (I was fortunate enough to catch them on top of the parking garage along with someone close to me, and a friend XD)

Didn't see them this year, but we saw them last year!

As for there being nothing to do, its a small con, and if no one ever plans on showing up, it wont get better. I didn't like my first convention last year, it was unorganized, nazi security, ect. but when we went again this year, it was fantastic. So, it seems like most of the complaints are about the location. Instead of just not going to the convention again, so less and less people go and it dies off, some one should right a letter to the con committee and request they change location. I really like this con, and its so close, I don't want to see it just disappear because no one tried to make it better.

And when I went to the rave, there were plenty of people dancing...

fatalinjection
06-17-2007, 11:52 PM

Ahhh I wish I had known! D: I love fireworks T_T

MidnightRequiem
06-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Ahhh I wish I had known! D: I love fireworks T_T

They did them last year, too. We were leaving the con, and were parked on the roof, and as soon as we got to the top it just started. Greatest way to end a con EVER!

fatalinjection
06-17-2007, 11:54 PM
They did them last year, too. We were leaving the con, and were parked on the roof, and as soon as we got to the top it just started. Greatest way to end a con EVER!

Yeah, I bet D: I'll have to remember next year! XD

Sciguy
06-17-2007, 11:58 PM

http://richmondva.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Richmond&s1=VA&c2=baltimore&s2=MD

note the rapes in comparison to Baltimore and the national average...

While I understand that it is nice to have a few people do walk ons... 3 Walkons before a skit is boring... It was also too short of a masquerade. We need more skits! YOU HAD MORE LAST YEAR!

Hey, no complaining! Most cons do ALL of the walk-ons first, lol. And actually, the masq was exactly the same size last year. Accounting for drops and no-shows, AMA has had about 20 entries in the Masq for the last three years ^^;;

Anyway, security were doing their jobs. If they sat you in front of a door and was told to check to make sure that everyone who enters had a badge, then you SHOULD sit there and check EVERYONE. and of course they want to make sure that everyone in the halls has a badge. AMA is not a non-profit organization, it is a corporation that depends upon cash flow to pay it's few (one?) salaried employees and pay their taxes. If they let people wander around the con-space without a badge, they're losing money (because the person doesn't feel a need to buy a badge) and wasting money (providing entertainment to a free-loader). As far as I saw, no one in the staff acted improperly.

Fire Lily
06-18-2007, 12:02 AM
I thought the con was great. Having a lot of room was wonderful and made getting around in a rather large costume easy. Staff was very friendly and explained everything they did. I wasn't happy about not getting to bring my bag into the dealer's room, but I told con ops and everything was fine. Dealing with a lot of kids without parents around to keep them in check is liable to make anyone a bit on edge. So just act maturely, behave, and you probably won't be yelled at. If you're acting like a child, be prepared to be treated like one.

The hotel staff were very courteous to me and my boyfriend and I feel we were treated very well. I wouldn't mind staying there again as long as the loud and rambunctious kids weren't allowed back into the hotel without a chaperone (which is also why there was a curfew). Even then, I could deal with the kids that were there, but not the ones blatantly acting foolish, a few of whom I did reprimand.

Honestly, did any of you walk down Broad St? I did, at 3 pm. In broad daylight. And I was scared out of my wits. And I'm a 25 year old. So don't whine and complain about an 11pm curfew when they're enacting it to ensure your safety.

And if you didn't like the con, please don't complain. Just don't go back. It's that simple. These people work really hard every year to organize a large event that everyone will enjoy, and they do take the constructive criticism to mind in order to effectively cater to you next year. Having you say, "it sucked" doesn't really make them want to accommodate you.

NarutoRaver
06-18-2007, 12:04 AM
ok these people must be like paid staff to say these things

Fire Lily
06-18-2007, 12:13 AM
No, we're just old enough to know the difference between whining and actual criticism. Your profile said you are 18, correct? Maybe you should start acting like an adult, hmm? Again, if you don't like it, don't go, but don't expect to prevent everyone else from attending, either.

MidnightRequiem
06-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Actually, these people are right. The con didn't do anything just to make you miserable or to keep you from having fun, they did things to keep us safe. Kids are stupid, we'll leave it at that, and if you have a bunch of kids running around at one in the morning being loud and obnoxious, something bad will happen. I think the con would be WORSE if they didn't have a curfew and I got less than my precious four hours of sleep because kids were screaming down hallways. We weren't the only people staying in that hotel.

I had no problems with the con. staff or security or any one. One must thing of these things logically, and don't take things to personally.

NarutoRaver
06-18-2007, 12:19 AM
no im just laughing at how sad richmond is i meen i do have a father who lives there so im there every now and then but come on the cons in LA, NY, DC, Baltimore not a single one have a curfew

MidnightRequiem
06-18-2007, 12:23 AM
no im just laughing at how sad richmond is i meen i do have a father who lives there so im there every now and then but come on the cons in LA, NY, DC, Baltimore not a single one have a curfew

So...now all you have against this convention is the curfew? because they GAVE us options to stay out later. You didn't HAVE to go, so long as you had the requested items. They just want you to be safe.

bamboocactus
06-18-2007, 01:07 AM
No, we're just old enough to know the difference between whining and actual criticism. Your profile said you are 18, correct? Maybe you should start acting like an adult, hmm? Again, if you don't like it, don't go, but don't expect to prevent everyone else from attending, either.

Cheers!

When you organise a better convention, you can say whatever you want, buddy! :bigtu:

Some people liked this con, others didn't. Seems like the more outspoken people weren't too thrilled with it, but I was sitting in Artist's Alley all weekend meeting great people who were overjoyed to be at an anime convention, a lot of them for the first time even. Whining about a lack of things provided to amuse you or not enough video games in the video game room is going to get you some raised eyebrows. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that apart from the people on c.com that love to perpetuate silly debates and take part in dramatic forum duels, nobody really is going to want to just sit around and moan about a less-than-exhilarating con experience.

Dunno about you guys, but I had a great time because I made the best of it, and now I'm getting ready to do the same thing at Otakon. See y'all in the Ota board! :bigtu:

vartan
06-18-2007, 01:10 AM
The curfew, for the most part, seems to be enforced heavily in the actual City of Richmond, and being in the heart of downtown (and being in a convention center instead of a hotel, causing attendees to more likely spill out onto the streets and mill around), this makes sense in a way...and the city cops are for the most part raging jerks cause they have to deal with a whooooole lot of ghettoness down there. When AMA was in greater richmond on southside, or rather, fully contained in a hotel, it was less of a problem, at least, it seemed so. But I suppose that is neither here nor there, cons need to move to bigger places as they grow and sometimes, they end up somewhere there are sacrifices.

The room parties thing was *definitely* hotel staff and actual officers for the most part, I witnessed a party being broken up by hotel staff and police as I walked by and it was very obviously because of the blatantly drunk, blatantly underage, noisy people hanging out in the halls and going in and out of rooms. If con security got involved it may have just been in an attempt to put out fires before it turned into a police matter, which is really, better for all parties involved.

I have a feeling that the reason a lot of people were treated harshly on saturday night was that tempers at the hotel staff were getting short with "the kids", while this doesn't excuse it completely, I can totally understand them wanting to keep the peace with their other guests, i.e. weddings and seminars sharing the same building, and I saw myself the progression of frustration; when they first closed off the area, I was very calmly told that the area was closed off and to please be quiet...as the hours went by, I saw people being very loud, shrieking, yelling and running around, and even backtalking the hotel employees with "we're paying to stay here, I'll do what I want!" type comments, and by the end of the day, the employees were very short and snappy and, well, trying to be in charge.

Now that being said, there were also some non-con hotel guests and hotel staff that were downright rude to me for no real reason other than just being there, so I can understand why other people are upset about it.

dExtrosien
06-18-2007, 01:35 AM
I can understand everyone's thoughts. I've been going to AMA since 2002 and it is the only con I attend since it is the closest. I do think that having the Masquerade followed by the concert and then the rave in the same room probably wasn't the best idea considering the technical difficulties with the concert. All in all I thought security was pretty fair. The guy with the whip was one of the nicest if you were considerate to him. I know they got frustrated repeating themselves over and over, but it is hard not to with some many people. It would help if people read the rules in the convention book about things like no props, bags, chains or glowstick on strings and the like.

There probably needs to be some kind of system to check people's ages at Registration and give people over 18 a special band to wear for the weekend or something to save carding people. I don't think it is quite fair that they said the dance would start at 10:30 and then it started closer to 11:30 or maybe a bit later. That really messed up anyone that was under 18 that thought they might get to the dance for a while. If they don't want to deal with the problem of curfew then maybe they just should just hold the dance at 11 and not allow any minors at all, which makes more sense to me. I had to say since I know some high school kids that went. The other option is to try to have it start at 8 or 9 and then take a break at 10:45 flush everyone out and not allow minors in at that point. I didn't really get the rule about no more than 3 kids per adult. Some families are bigger and in some cases a bunch of friends come with one parent. These are problems, but I also see how they are difficult to fix.

I personally didn't stay at the Marriott, but I've heard that it really was pretty bad and they had complaints as well. It seems that maybe the hotel really doesn't know what to expect from the congoers, but it would be nice to see people behave appropriately and respectfully. I wouldn't be surprised if the convention might get moved in a year or two. I wouldn't mind seeing the convention go to another large hotel. I really liked the Comfort Inn, but I like the fact that none of the main events fill up now much more. The hotel they move to would have to be at least as big, but hopefully not so spread out. Walking from one end to the other between things with costumes shoes really isn't fun.

All in all I had a good time. My only complaints are really with the fact that so many of the things I wanted to do overlapped. I really don't understand why they show the AMVs so early on Friday. What about the working people that want to vote for them? I had no time to get there on Saturday afternoon since we were making some fixes to our costumes and preparing for the masquerade and trying to eat after rehearsal and such. A later Friday night showing of the AMVs would make more sense to me. Oh and I really enjoyed watching the fireworks from the parking garage roof when we were changing at the car after the Masquerade. Fireworks at a con is definitely over the top. :-D

Unfortunately, noone can every plan for everything possibility and those few things you don't plan for will always happen and really throw a wrench in the works. I've come to expect that none of the main events will start on time and that is easy enough to accept, but it does eat up your day and you sometimes end up missing a panel or something because something else runs over. Nothing you can do though except find something else to do. I just went with the flow checked out what I could and I felt my money was well spent. A big thanks to all of the staff for all of their hard work.

:side note:
I was a little miffed at the Tech Crew on Saturday night after they complete messed up our lighting cues. Fortunately, we still did well and by Sunday I had pretty much forgiven them. Then when I saw the problems they were having at Closing Ceremonies I kinda wondered about them. In the past I remember them as having very few things like that and really be better organized. I understand things that are beyond your control like a computer frying, but some of that just seemed like the left hand wasn't talking to the right. Maybe that's just me.

minuberry
06-18-2007, 02:14 AM
I was on the 10th floor and we heard something but really did not think much of it.... ;;; We thought it was a police car driving by or something.

irkenmodelgir
06-18-2007, 06:34 AM
basically the only complaint i have was that after the rave, my friend was looking for her 16 year old friend, who decided to leave the rave with some random guy and decided not to tell anyone where she was. we looked for her for awile and then stood near the parking garage door on the secound floor of the convention center where my friend was parked. we had many con staff tell us to leave and we would have to tell them the situation, all of which told us that everyone was pushed out of the conventiion center and that our friend wasen't there. we asked them if they could page, they said no, we asked if they checked the bathrooms, no answer, then convention workers start telling us to leave, same effect, then the police come up and i tell them that there is a missing 16 y/o girl that left with a stranger and that she was missing. all we got was "there closing up, you need to leave" were like wtf?

So since were basically pushed out with out finding our friend we walk towards the exit, and they continue to yell at us asking where we were going, then they claimed not to know that there was an exit down there.

We later found out that she got a ride home from someone that we knew and she didnt tell us till we got back to her car.

Idk about you but when you tell someone in the Hampton area that a 16 y/o female is missing, out after hours with a stranger who is male they jump on it and try to help you find her. regardless of time.

friday we had a little party in a friends room but there was no room jumping. a hotel rep showed up at our door and asked us to keep it down cuz of a few people complaning and that was it, so there was no real problem from there.

Lycoris
06-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I had no problems with the hotel, con security, or police. But the one thing that did annoy me was the excessive use of the overly loud intercom. I understand that they have something that they want to announce, but in some places the intercom was deafening.

Arlette
06-18-2007, 08:55 AM
[delete]

Kaoshima
06-18-2007, 09:01 AM
The con itself was okay for me, the Marriot really ruined it for me though, I'm assuming everyone's heard the story of the three o'clock fire alarm right? That was the clencher for me, I'm probably not even gonna stay at the Marriot next year.

Zyphen
06-18-2007, 09:10 AM
There were some bright spots but it was mostly my anime friends and I entertaining ourselves. Still, the Gundam Seed songs from Unicorn Table totally made the trip worth it. And an autographed CD. YOSH-AH!!

Kaoshima
06-18-2007, 09:17 AM
DX I was looking for Johnny Bosch *sp?* to sign my copies of Last Exile vol.1 and .hack//G.U. vol.2: Reminisce, but I forgot what he even looked like so I might've seen him and not known it! ;_;

nicol-chan
06-18-2007, 09:25 AM
yeah i really didn't have that many problems. yeah the security were a bit yelly but it didn't really bother me. i thought the con had really grown into the convention center well. last year there were time when me and my group would be in a huge hallway completely by ourselves. my mfajor complaint is the game room. like last year it was so crowded you couldn't even move in there so i thought they might move it to a bigger room. instead they simply didn't put as many games in there. i thought that was a stupid idea and none of the games they had were ones that i didn't really want to play. for instance they had a guilty gear XX tournament that i was really excited about. i wasn't able to make the tourney but i figured that they'd at least have it in the game room so i could play a few people outside of the tournament but they didn't. i've been getting really good so it was a big letdown that i couldn't test my skills. T_T

kaligoddess
06-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Honestly, if you come by car, I suggest staying farther away from the convention center. We stayed in a nice hotel about 20 minutes away for less than $100 a night with NO screaming kids, no parties, no weddings and plenty of choices of food.

Nekko
06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I am going to Katsu or Neko next year. I was really disapointed in my home convention....

Saxinthehall
06-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I didn't think AMA was that bad this year. I think the con is still too small to be in the convention center but I had a fun time.

As for the wedding and 'Make me, I mean yourself money fast!' seminar I didn't get bothered by them and the detours weren't that bad either. If you had a room in the hotel you just needed to walk to the second floor, walk past the pool, and you would had easy access to the elevators. It didn't seem like they had problems with people walking from the elevators to the con since they the hotel staff didn't raise an eyebrow when I walked by as they sent people up stairs.

And I didn't even know there was a fire alarm pulled in the hotel. I guess the seventh floor didn't get it or me and my room mates slept though it. Hmmm, that might be a bad thing if there was a real fire in the hotel. Sleeping though the fire, bad. Sleeping though the fire without an alarm, it's time for the family to sue.

spanner
06-18-2007, 10:44 AM
This was my first con and overall I didn't really have any sort of issue with anyone at the con itself (outside of having to walk in a giant circle before the rave since we weren't allowed back the way we came.. wtf?) or the Marriott staff.

Tikki
06-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Well, I had 17 entries this year (roughly the same as the past few years...) and many were walk-ons. Next year, the registration will have a box for Walk-on /or Skit so I can arrange the order better, but I can't make more cosplayers compete or do skits instead of walk-ons. The cosplay will have more entries when MORE people register to compete.

As for programming and panels, try suggesting panel ideas or doing one yourself? I think there was plenty going on that I would have liked to attended, had I not been on staff. And at any convention I attend, I always bring a few card games to kill time when nothing interests me in the program guide.
Tikki

PS. The con-chair is MORE than aware of the Marriot problems. We will be at the convention center next year, but the Crown Plaza (where I stayed, and it was nice!) is definitely a good overflow and they're looking at a second hotel as well. Not for any need of size, but because the Marriot in Richmond is giving AMA problems.

Tenriyuu86
06-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Well, I had 17 entries this year (roughly the same as the past few years...) and many were walk-ons. Next year, the registration will have a box for Walk-on /or Skit so I can arrange the order better, but I can't make more cosplayers compete or do skits instead of walk-ons. The cosplay will have more entries when MORE people register to compete.

As for programming and panels, try suggesting panel ideas or doing one yourself? I think there was plenty going on that I would have liked to attended, had I not been on staff. And at any convention I attend, I always bring a few card games to kill time when nothing interests me in the program guide.
Tikki

PS. The con-chair is MORE than aware of the Marriot problems. We will be at the convention center next year, but the Crown Plaza (where I stayed, and it was nice!) is definitely a good overflow and they're looking at a second hotel as well. Not for any need of size, but because the Marriot in Richmond is giving AMA problems.

I love you!! I do love going to AMA, but the Marriot was a huge huge problem. I didn't stay there as seeing that my apartment is right on Cary Street, but yeah even I had quite a few problems from them. I had no other problems other than literally running into people and balancing issues but those are personal problems. I probably watched about a total of an hour of anime the entire weekend, but I didn't mind I still had a ton of fun walking around going to the panels and workshops and looking at all the awsome costumes. And of course the artists alley was awsome like usual!

spanner
06-18-2007, 11:22 AM

It's too bad the Marriott had to be so... uptight, I guess is the word I'm looking for, since it's so convenient.... for those of us who are too lazy to really walk anywhere. >.>

Raikou-Neko
06-18-2007, 11:31 AM
yeah...the only real good thing about the Marriott was that it was like, right THERE. I didn't have to walk far at all....

dolst
06-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Well, dEx and I didn't stay at the hotel, being as we were staying like a 1/2 hour away. Con security didn't give us any problems. They let my Airforce contractor friend into the rave with his motorcycle helmet, since we convinced them it was not a weapon. Head of security was on the fence about it, but we behaved like... gasp... adults! I'm not busting on anyone else with that comment, just amazement at myself for being able to act like I'm actually 18 or so..... and I'm 30. hehe
But in all seriousness, there were some cosplay tech crew issues (which dEx and I discussed with Tikki at the cosplay forum panel). That was tempered by the fact that we actually won an award, so we weren't too sore at the end of the day. :-)
That same panel room had just previously been the AMA Feedback panel. To whoever mentioned attending that panel to address concerns, I hate to say this but, ironically, whoever was supposed to be in that panel never even showed up!
Of course, if they showed up more than a half hour late, we wouldn't have known, since I wanted to run to the 3D Animation panel (where I actually learned some useful stuff).
All-in-all, still a great con, I thought. No one was rude to me. No one hassled me. But again, we weren't at the Marriott, and I think that is the overwhelming majority of where the problems were. And that, I believe, has already been covered.
Just remember, boycotts are for zealots. AMA is something I believe in, and I'd hate to see it fail because of some unfortunate circumstances. Also, it would help a great deal if you attend opening ceremonies. They covered a lot of the guidelines there, such as what can and cannot be brought into the rave, etc. And failing that, if you are unfamiliar with the con, just take a few minutes to read the guide book you got with registration. A lot of the stuff is spelled out there. I'm not one to talk, being as I've got the attention span of a gnat and a brain like an Etch-A-Sketch, but it's not that hard to get a quick idea of the rules.
It helps to assume that, whatever prop/weapon you have, it's going to be peace-bonded. Be prepared for that. Of course, I had a foam sword that was too bendy to be a threat. If you saw our skit, you know. hehe

And finally, my $0.02 on the whole 18 thing. I think dEx had a decent idea with the whole "don't start the rave til after curfew" concept. If they don't want to worry about under-18ers, then just don't let them rave.
Of course, before I incite a flurry of cries of ageism, I also like her idea of starting the rave maybe earlier. I'd hate for someone who's 17 years, 11 months, and 29 days old, to be shut out of the rave entirely.

I like the idea of some kind of quicker-than-checking-ID method for verifying age. There could be a stamp for over-18ers, and none for under-18ers. That way, the over-18ers wouldn't want to rub it off, and the under-18ers couldn't rub off a non-existent stamp.
Either that, or a destroy-on-removal wristband, like they have at concerts and clubs, for the over-18ers. You can't take it off without tearing it up; therefore, you can't stick it on an under-18er.
Also mentioned among some of us who were waiting for the AMA Feedback panel, was the idea of having different badges for under/over, however badges can be switched no problem, so that would probably be the least secure.

Well, rather than end this by sounding like I'm trying to solve all the world's problems, I would like to mention that dEx and I, as well as three other people found the Secret Panel Room on the roof of the parking garage. This year, it was an outdoor fireworks show. Actually, we heard cheers from the level below, so we weren't the only ones who found the Secret Panel.

I can't wait to discover the Secret Panel next year. I thought it was just a con legend until Saturday night. hehe. Surf Wisely!

Raikou-Neko
06-18-2007, 11:40 AM
about the whole under-18 thing...it wasnt COMPLETELY shutting out those underage. I got in fine and I'm 14. You just needed your keycard to your room and your badge. *Shrugs* although, they wouldnt let you back in if you were underage after around 1...(I think, since I stayed in the rave until around 10 mins before it ended)

XoPinkuSpiderxo
06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
i know i will go again, because i always do have a really good time with my friends (i dont rely on panels or the masquerade for my entertainment) but i will also probobly use the marriot again, just because it has the skywalk to the convention center (that skywalk was about the only thing that let any of our parents let us go, because they didnt want us outside)

every event were i was treated rudely and thought so, i told whoever treated me like that to their face very bluntly that i didnt appreciate it because i'm not one to just complain about it. but i also dont let things like hotel staff bother me too much, as long as i have a place to sleep and keep my stuff i am just fine.

KurzesHaar
06-18-2007, 12:14 PM
I was pretty lucky at this con I guess...we were staying in the Marriott, but never got harrassed by the staff at the hotel and overall had a pretty pleasant Marriott experience.
The AMA security were douchebags sometimes. I got yelled at for "running" when I was walking sorta fast to catch up to my friends in the masq line. definately not running, especially because I couldn't possibly run in the shoes I was wearing for my costume XD

The rave was crazy though. I didn't even think to bring my ID, only my con badge, so when we got there I was pissed off they were checking IDs and I hadn't heard anything about it. Luckily they let my whole group in since we're all in our 20s...

Overall the con wasn't great, but I'd probably go back again next year

Pyked
06-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Honestly, did any of you walk down Broad St? I did, at 3 pm. In broad daylight. And I was scared out of my wits. And I'm a 25 year old. So don't whine and complain about an 11pm curfew when they're enacting it to ensure your safety.

lol, I did at 1 am to goto the 3rd street diner. I don't see what people think is so scary?

Con-freak
06-18-2007, 08:46 PM
this was my first con ever an di loved it~, no one was rude to me or messed with me im def going agian nexted year!

Nekoboy Eriku
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
The only thing that disappointed me was some of the attendees attitudes. I'd go again -after all, it was my first.

I.N.K.
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
K: I enjoyed this year, except the dance...I couldn't go this year because too many people kept comming up to my parents and asking them to be their gardian...

But All I need is two more years till I'm 18...

Donno if anyone's off this topic, but that is pretty lame about the hotel thing. But don't blame the con...BLAME THE ESTABLISHMENT! ::cough cough::...sorry...

I did get pretty annoyed at the over head god-like voice continuously telling us about cerfew 4 hours away from it...

Shuichi_Huggler
06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
K: I enjoyed this year, except the dance...I couldn't go this year because too many people kept comming up to my parents and asking them to be their gardian...

But All I need is two more years till I'm 18...

Donno if anyone's off this topic, but that is pretty lame about the hotel thing. But don't blame the con...BLAME THE ESTABLISHMENT! ::cough cough::...sorry...

I did get pretty annoyed at the over head god-like voice continuously telling us about cerfew 4 hours away from it...
The announcement person kept coming on during AMVs on Friday.
THAT got a little annoying, especially when they had to restart one of the AMVs because of it.

Raikou-Neko
06-18-2007, 09:23 PM
argh...it was annoying...but it was funny...cuz every time one of the ppl in my group would go..."Is that you, God?!?!?" XD

Con-freak
06-18-2007, 09:24 PM
If you dont like the con then dont go back nexted year. People who complain about things just to ruin it for others irk me if you go boycotting the con it might move and the people who live around richmond who cant travel very far would be otu of a con then, dont ruin thing for othe rpeople u dont like it so dont go back don boycott it

Shuichi_Huggler
06-18-2007, 09:31 PM
argh...it was annoying...but it was funny...cuz every time one of the ppl in my group would go..."Is that you, God?!?!?" XD

I think someone said "Shut up, Jesus!" when it came on during the AMVs. xDD

Raikou-Neko
06-18-2007, 09:32 PM
XD WOW...XD thats hilarious...I didnt get to see the AMV contest...I was at the masquerade...

I.N.K.
06-18-2007, 09:35 PM
The announcement person kept coming on during AMVs on Friday.
THAT got a little annoying, especially when they had to restart one of the AMVs because of it.
K: Especially when they were just testing on Friday. It started out with them just making sure it worked...and that messed up the J-pop/J-rock videos.

padgett87
06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I think someone said "Shut up, Jesus!" when it came on during the AMVs. xDD

Yeah that sucked we were so pissed, I was with the crew running the contest. I was on Staff and we were treated like crap by the older staff we were rudely kicked out of the Staff lounge when we were counting ballots I understand we had to make room for people to eat but the lady bitched us out for no reason, and hell GeneStarwind had a peacebond on his flag and really is a ziptie gonna stop it from hitting someone does it detonate if used as a weapon

This did have some major suck parts but fun is what you make it and I made up some fun.

Kaze_Tora
06-18-2007, 09:59 PM
It's a whole lot of emotions rolled up into one when you encounter a situation such as this: Sad, angry, scared, frustrated, depressed, and aggrivated. All of these emotions rolled into one create my reaction to this convention. I was with Raikou-Neko and we were encountered by a security man that seemed to be constantly PMSing. We had fun running around, yes, but so many abilities were restricted, the god-like voice (I'm sorry God! Please forgive me for completely ignoring your warning and staying out after 11!) was like a constant reminder of the fact that we're stupid and bound to do something completely irrational. Security guards were SHOUTING at us around every corner, getting into people's faces about the curfew. Yes, I understand that it's not THEIR choice to have to enforce it, it IS however, their choice on how to go ABOUT enforcing it. Yelling at us is no way to solve matters, perhaps if they tried to actually TALK, not scream, we'd take a moment to listen. Raising one's voice does not help others to calm down, in fact it does the opposit and hypes them up. If I, a person under 18, can understand this why can't the security?

The actual cosplayers were nice and if the security factor had been dropped a bit I'd have had a LOT more fun. I almost cried I was so scared that the security guy would kick me out for kneeling on the escalator. I know it wasn't smart but hell, my legs were killing me and I wasn't about to ROLL down the fricken machine! I may or may not go next year, it was a lot of money and effort that was wasted a bit, even the rave disappointed me, I waited for HOURS to get in and it was bright and just...ugh. Well that's my complaint.

Raikou-Neko
06-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I dont think we waited HOURS...but maybe an hour and a half...XD

Shuichi_Huggler
06-18-2007, 10:06 PM
The peace-bonding thing is a tad bit overboard.
I mean, I understand how they want to keep everyone safe, but if I wanted to I could poke someone's eye out with a pencil, ya know?
If they're going to peace-bond flags, of all things, they might as well peace-bond everything. o.o

I.N.K.
06-18-2007, 10:10 PM
K: Oh yeah, I also wasn't allowed to let people into the con. I was about to help these people come inside, but these janitors stopped us. I guess you can't use everydoor in the Convention Center...Which kind of defeats the purpose of doors. I mean...they're there to let people inside...

But hey...whatever. Those people just had to walk further before comming in...

Also I saw that these people stopped that one Kabuto cosplayer and made him put one of those plastic-thingies on it...I guess it could be used as a wepon...but it was obviously a flag...

Jsc0114
06-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, They put one on my little struggle bat. It was annoying but the con wasn't that bad. It could have been alot better. But I still made fond memories and some bad ones. One that involved a condom in an elevator in the merriot. I hope you guys know what im talking about.

AnimatedPoison
06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I didn't really get the rule about no more than 3 kids per adult.

How many kids can an adult realistically be watching closely? You want a lower ratio of kids to adults to be sure that the adults can actually keep track of them all, and (hopefully) keep them in line. There's a bigger chance that someone could get into trouble in a group of 10 rather than a group of 3, right?

I didn't even think to bring my ID.

As a general rule of thumb (ie not just at cons), you should always have ID on you. You never know when you'll need it. If you don't have pockets, ask a friend to hold it for you, or tuck it into some part of your clothing or costume where it will stay-- even socks or shoes, so god help anyone who cards you. :toothy:

a peacebond on his flag and really is a ziptie gonna stop it from hitting someone does it detonate if used as a weapon

This is where you read your program. A peacebond tie is essentially a 'contract' where you, the item-weilder, agree not to use your item inappropriately.

And yes, technically, virtually anything could be used as a weapon with enough malicious intent/force, but the things more likely to be used irresponsibly are the bigger things. I'm not gonna help you imagine the ways that you can physically harm someone using a flag, but it can be done.

dExtrosien
06-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I didn't really get the rule about no more than 3 kids per adult.

How many kids can an adult realistically be watching closely? You want a lower ratio of kids to adults to be sure that the adults can actually keep track of them all, and (hopefully) keep them in line. There's a bigger chance that someone could get into trouble in a group of 10 rather than a group of 3, right?

Good point. But it might make more sense to have a rule like that posted in plain view maybe on the website and at registration in the program book and such instead of finding out just before the dance. This way people could plan on it. I kind of feel that some decisions need to be made about the dance and curfew and they need to be laid out to everyone ahead of time to avoid much of the frustration that people felt. I know that won't eliminate it completely, but it might help things go a little more smoothly.

Kaoshima
06-19-2007, 08:17 AM
AMA was a lot more fun when it was in the Holiday Inn, at least until it got crowded... Now the GRCC more than accomodates for that, but it's as if we're exchanging space for freedom, and I'm not particularly thrilled about the conversion rate.

BouXKanon
06-19-2007, 08:44 AM
My friends and I didn't get hassled by the staff of the con thankfully. Im glad we didn't stay at the Mariott though, that probably would have been the worst and made me not want to come back. I live right down the road from con so it's not a big deal to get back and forth. Honestly, yes, parts of downtown Richmond are super scary and actually pretty dangerous. I can understand why the police wanted to make sure that everyone was OK! But at the same time...people really should NOT be hassled as much as it seems they were being. I know I would have gone off on someone if I had been pushed the wrong way. The biggest problem was finding our friend after the rave, but that turned out ok too.

As for the curfew, in Richmond, it's always been there. JUST in Richmond. Even where I used to live in the west end they are heavily enforcing the curfew because they are having so many issues with immature kids doing stupid stuff at night. As it goes though, from now on, my over 21 friends and I have decided that NO ONE under 18 (besides my kid brother) will be allowed to go to con with us, they have to find another way to get in, so the stress on us is lessened. And we will not have other under 18 people coming up to us to ask us to let them into con, that was just too stressful and I really wanted to punch something or someone! It's simple as that, all you have to do in order to fix an issue like the curfew is just change up what you're doing to make things work for you.

DarkmetalJ
06-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I've been coming to AMA since 2003. It was my home convention when I lived there. But then I moved to NC and still came to AMA. It was my first convention, and I loved it.
Each year it keeps getting worse, and I don't want to see it get worse, but I can't do much.

I really... REALLY hope AMA moves. Because if it's at the same convention center AND Hotel, im not returning.

I am an 18 year old female, I OPEN my hotel room door to see if my friend was returning to my room, and before I can EVEN look out, a hotel Manager walked past the door and says "Stay in your room. Your not aloud out." ...UM... WTF.. Does it look like im in a jail? Am I an animel? Excuse me, im paying to stay at their damn hotel, im ABLE to leave when I want.
Oh, and that's not all.
Two other people that we're rooming with us brought this girl in that I didn't really like(she was drunk, im not a fan of drunks), so me and four other people are sitting against the wall RIGHT next to our room and another Manager walks up to us and says "Excuse me. You need to get up and return to your room RIGHT NOW. If you don't do so, im sending you home." ...You send me home, you get no money out of me.
I was treated rudely. I couldn't even walk down to the resturant to have dinner without a Manager GRABBING me and asking if I stayed in the hotel. ... Um, I just walked out of my fucking room dude.. Are you serious?

I also don't like when the con security grabs my Harkonnen when I walk out of the elevator IN THE HOTEL, Telling me "You need to go back to your room right now. Im not going to let you in the convention center with this gun." ........ I'd like a "Excuse me miss, im sorry but there's a gun policy for the convention center, can you take that back to your room?" ... I swear I will never return if it's at the same hotel because of what has happened to me. You DON'T grab me by my arms or grab anything in my hands.

Im sorry, I love a lot of the staff there, but I can't stand what has happened to AMA.

I couldn't agree with you anymore than i do right now. For someone like me who actually gets paid to go to these conventions, this was a major waste of time and money. I don't get paid for hotel staff to be rude to me just because of what i am wearing or for police officers to call me queer becuz i tell him that i get paid to get into costumes. This is the first year in my entire life that someone has actually tried to kick me out of a convention. Not becuz of my attitude, not because i started a fight no. Because of the prop i was carrying.

This convention has severly gone down hill. And until it shapes up, people can expect me to no longer make an appearance there. Oh and the head of security for this con this past weekend. You and I are gonna have words, count on that. It's one things to treat everyone like little children and belittle the hell out of them. But you ruined one of my photoshoots, which in turn you cost me money.

And no body screws with my money!

GeneStarwind211
06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
The peace-bonding thing is a tad bit overboard.
I mean, I understand how they want to keep everyone safe, but if I wanted to I could poke someone's eye out with a pencil, ya know?
If they're going to peace-bond flags, of all things, they might as well peace-bond everything. o.o

I have to laugh about this for I think your refering to the flag I was carrying around for the Sound Village. I was on Staff and they still peace bonded it. They just want to know that the stuff you were carrying around was approved by us. I know this year was rough. The hotel people didn't make it any easier on us either. I can't go into too much detail about what happend this year. I ask you guys as a fellow cosplayer and a friend to those of you who know me. Give AMA another chance next year. Every con have there off year when stuff goes wrong. Katsucon 12 seemed like it was a bad year for me when I went and then it turned all around at 13 and was a lot more fun. I'll bring this to the Staff's attention and we're going to work on it to make it better.

Nekoboy Eriku
06-19-2007, 03:20 PM
As far as peace-bonding went, the state law required a lot of sensitivity. There’s a law here in Virginia called the Silhouette Law that essentially states: if it looks like a weapon, it could be considered a weapon. Take the gunblades for example. It had what looked like a trigger, an action, a hammer, and a chamber; easily making it mistakable for a live firearm. That kind of thing could get a person arrested, or ever fired upon by law enforcement. It’s kind of why toy guns have orange tips at the end of their barrels. Certain things were peace bonded as a contract, but things like what I said above were in most cases completely not allowed because of that law.

Hongtaewon
06-19-2007, 03:39 PM
ok im think im gonna send a note to the marriot headquarters also cuz i meen come on this is just retarted they need to take a look into there hotel staff

Listen, marriot wont do a damn thing about this hotel because frankly Richard Marriot(owner and president of Marriot hotel chain) thinks he has better things to do other than deal with retarded employees, trust me i use to work for marriot hq. as for the con, most of the time the AMA security was being "harsh" was because of teh CON security was giving them a hard time and we didnt want to hear any more of the crap coming outta their mouth. i worked for medical so i can't say shit about anything but keep in mind most of the bull shit you saw was not AMA's fault but Marriot and the convention staff's fault

tomokato
06-19-2007, 05:42 PM

tomokato
06-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Greetings...

First of all i wish to appologise if any of our security or any of staff AMA may have caused some discomfort. We were slightly understaffed this year.

I believe that this was one if our best years when it comes to the convention center, personaly i wish to thank all of the AMA attendees, YOU ALL were AWESOME.. You were very well behaved group we have had to date.

Of course there is a few folks that may wish to ruin it for all of us.
But i must tell you folks,, yes we did have some mysterious holes appear,
but you know what,, those look to be honest mistakes and not on purpose.
we did have one that was in the shape of a fist,, ONE and thats it, and a few other incidents, but all and all from 1-10 for incidents of this type, it was a 3

In fact, several of you,, helped us stop inccdents before they even occured and those were extremely minor.

So from the prospective of one of the officers of AMA.. It was a great weekend.

As for the Hotel that shall not be named,, Yes there were several issues.
And that was the hotels short falls not you.
Believe me these issues are being handled.

However if you have isues with this hotel, please do not hesitate to go to the anime mid atlantic site and email is asap please.

We do listen..

And i want to thank you for making AMA 2007 a great success, and if you have any ideas,suggestions on how we can make your AMA experience better or even better if you wish to join our family, please drop us a line..

Thanks again for a great event and see you next year..

Keith...:chatah: :bigtu: :rockon: :reverse: :skidude2:

AMA Prime
06-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I want to point out to everyone that a number of the security Issues were due to several causes. Many of the complaints about security was concerning GRCC security and not ama security. Our biggest problem this year was that we had a number of no shows for staff for various reasons. This caused each staff member to work much longer hours then they should have and did not allow us to cover positions that we should have had covered. Up until 2 days before the convention, we were told by a number of these staff members that they would be at the convention this year. When situations occured and they could not make it, we were left in a major lurch without them. We covered the best we could and went on with the convention. The GRCC in response to our losses increased their own security presence which probably caused a majority of the problems. I am sorry for any issues you had and would like to hear about them if you could e-mail me at animemidatlantic@yahoo.com. The GRCC security staff did not have time to train with our own staff, so they handled issues in a different way then we would have.

As for the Marriott hotel, they were extremely rude and unprofessional. This is the same hotel that gave us problems last year. Their security staff at night was overzealious in the extreme and a cause could be made for individual rights. After issues that occured on Saturday night, in which I myself witnessed some, I had decided that we could not deal with them anymore in the future. That leaves us with a decision to make. We will be looking at other hotels in the downtown area, who have already said they wanted us, and to set up a shuttle system to allow for attendees to get back and forth to the convention center. We will be doing a major recuiting year this year to replace those staff who did not show up this year. Those who have harsh criticism of us, I want to challenge you to come out and work for us as staff and see what it is really like to run a large event and have to deal with hotels, convention centers, and a loss of staff at the last minute. Even after all of these issues, I think we manged to pull a rabbit out of a hat to still pull off what I thought was still a good convention considering all the good e-mail I am still getting.

Tikki
06-19-2007, 10:36 PM
*smiles* Hugs to AMA Prime!

For those that stayed at the Marriott and it sucked, try the Crown Plaza next year! It IS inconveniently 5 blocks away, but it's a straight walk and it's no more dangerous than wandering the streets of Baltimore during Otakon. Just pick a wise street (*cough* don't walk down 3rd Street!) or use the hotel's complimentary shuttle. I just planned my day around going to the hotel room as little as possible.

The staff was friendly, the shuttle drivers were over-worked bellhops that stayed very personable the whole weekend so I gave 'em a small tip each time Saturday. Parking was feasible and well, the rooms were really nice! They even had some odd amenities I've never come across in a hotel room. There was a bottle opener mounted to the inside frame of the bathroom door (no joke!!!), a complimentary bag that included ear plugs, lavender linen spray and a sleep mask, and the alarm clock had a built-in CD player for the complimentary sleep CD on the night stand. Totally threw us off, but we liked it! Mini-refridgerators are available by request for a fee, and the rooms have really REALLY nice beds. And it was cheaper than the Marriott anyway.

As you guys can see from the two responses above mine, AMA Staffers are VERY aware of the issues this year and we want to make each year the best possible. However, problems do arise and we hope you can be patient as we try to fix things. And seriously, instead of complaining about Security, try volunteering for it and you'll really get a totally new view on what it takes to keep a con running smoothly. Security is always understaffed and overworked! And they are integral to the convention...

And also remember, NONE of us on staff are getting paid to work the convention. We are all in a sense, volunteers. Some of us just take on more responsibility than others. So if you have any serious questions or suggestions, email the address that AMA Prime listed. It will get directed to the appropriate Department head, if not the con-chair. But if you've got any COSPLAY-related stuff to complain about, or just have a question, come pester me. My cosplay staff and I have got some ideas for some changes with next year brewing, but I'm always open to outside suggestions.

Arlette
06-20-2007, 08:28 AM
As far as peace-bonding went, the state law required a lot of sensitivity. Thereís a law here in Virginia called the Silhouette Law that essentially states: if it looks like a weapon, it could be considered a weapon. Take the gunblades for example. It had what looked like a trigger, an action, a hammer, and a chamber; easily making it mistakable for a live firearm. That kind of thing could get a person arrested, or ever fired upon by law enforcement. Itís kind of why toy guns have orange tips at the end of their barrels. Certain things were peace bonded as a contract, but things like what I said above were in most cases completely not allowed because of that law.

Yes, out-of-state people please remember this. I wanted to bring a small orange-tipped prop gun for my Schrodinger costume, but my husband talked me out of it. While other cons in VA are more tolerant (like AnimeUSA has been in the past) remember that Richmond is a major city and prone to some violence and is the state capital. I think. Hahaha, I suck, I don't even know my own state's capital. XD Anyway, there are many reasons why Richmond is more strict on things like that. They know what they're doing.

boomberbang
06-23-2007, 08:59 PM
phew I thought iwas the only one who thought it was bad >_>

Shastar
06-24-2007, 01:49 AM

*sigh* you asked for it:

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25

on the top 25 overall, Richmond is #15, and in the "Population of 100,000 to 499,999" category, we are #7 (right behind Richmond, California, natch.)

Sorry if someone has already posted this...

Mutsumi623
06-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Sorry if someone else said this, but it's my birthday, so I don't really care.

The guy that announced the curfew needed to take the mike out of his mouth, loud much? Not that it would've mattered in the Game Room, as those speakers were almost dead from it on Friday Night.

Nekko
06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
That was god. God has a real thing for curfews. Oh and happy birthday Mutsu chan.

Saxinthehall
06-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I thought that was the Grand Galactic Inquisitor. At least that's what it sounded like on Friday night.

stafffighter
06-27-2007, 01:54 PM
It sounded like a voice to you..............just a bunch of loud noise to me.

GreatSG
06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
I thought that was the Grand Galactic Inquisitor. At least that's what it sounded like on Friday night.

IGNORE ME!!!

So I wasn't the only one who made that connection XD

Kaoshima
06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Next year, instead of the rave being in that one room, they should just pump the music over the PA system. Get the whole GRCC jumping... ya mean?

Ryuu_
06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Next year, instead of the rave being in that one room, they should just pump the music over the PA system. Get the whole GRCC jumping... ya mean?

I'd love to see that...

dExtrosien
06-28-2007, 10:05 PM
That would be fun. I still wonder if they might be able to rent another Exhibit Hall and then they can alternate the main events(if they can get enough computer/audio stuff to do it). Although playing it all throughout the first floor and let people dance around the tables in Artist Alley might be entertaining.

Mutsumi623
06-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Although playing it all throughout the first floor and let people dance around the tables in Artist Alley might be entertaining.

Because of the Katsucon guys, I was already doing this.

Kaoshima
06-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Were you the guy spinning friday night at the Katsu table? I was in the green suit, I stopped by to listen for a while. :D Sounded good!

quadrain61
07-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Wow was it that bad? I missed this year's AMA; however, I did hear a lot of bad stories from friends. I missed out due to real life work......

Kaoshima
07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
It wasn't completely horrible, but it wasn't so great either... :(

twinkie
07-09-2007, 02:05 PM
AMA this year was 2nd to worse (last year was really bad).

AMA 2005 was my first local con, and probably the best to me hands down (when it was in the kroger hotel) But this year.. absolutely dreadful. -_-;; i hate to say it but...

im not going back anytime soon... I also wasted my cash on buying a stupid badge at that stoopid con... grr... could've went to otakon. XD

I just hope they get better security that isn't so power hungry, ya know?

Akira-Kun
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
After reading through this thread and seeing a lot of people make complaints about the venue, rude or overzealous con/hotel staff, and disorganization made me wonder if I was reading a thread from one of my local cons or reading about another con thousands of miles away from me.

I never been to AMA before but I do go to Anime Expo and Anime Los Angeles, and let me tell you guys, the problems you see at AMA are also endemic to my local cons (and probably at most other anime cons I'm sorry to say...). Is there any anime con out there that seems to be run well?

Anime Expo 2007 (about 44,000 people) was plagued by idiotic con staff, major disorganization, and many events that did not start on time. Not to mention the crappy venue, it seems that AX has gone downhill as of late since the organization that heads it seems corrupt and inept as a communist country. This con was fun the last two years, but it seems just because they can get big name guests and big crowds doesn't exactly mean it's a well-run con.

Anime Los Angeles (about 1,500 people), a much smaller con than AX, had con suckurity that possessed mile-high egos, poor planning by its organizer, and obscene customer relations during and after the fiasco. Like some people have mentioned here about AMA, you feel as if you wasted your money on this event given that you were a paying attendee.

Sorry for this semi-off topic post, but I just wanted to say that even if a con is thousands of miles away, in another state, is a big or small con, it seems the same problems exist :crylaugh:.

NeoLunaAngel
07-12-2007, 10:21 PM
AMA this year was 2nd to worse (last year was really bad).

AMA 2005 was my first local con, and probably the best to me hands down (when it was in the kroger hotel) But this year.. absolutely dreadful. -_-;; i hate to say it but...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought AMA 2005 was the soccer mom convention??? And as the soccer mom convention, was universally understood to be the worst AMA on record.

Was it 2004 that I'm thinking of???

Oh well, I still think AMA rocks my socks, and I will gladly give them my pre-reg money come next year ^_^

Lumasnati
07-13-2007, 05:42 AM
. Is there any anime con out there that seems to be run well?

Why, yes there is. Anime USA in Crystal City, VA. It is and probably will always be, the best run anime convention. I have been to this con since 04 and it has ALWAYS had good organization skills. It's only about 3,000 people, but they have top-notch security and excellent planning.

twinkie
07-19-2007, 07:16 PM
No soccer mom=2004 -_-;;

And to reply to AkuseruRokusesu.... Yes, you are totally correct! I loved AUSA, everyone was friendly, not alot of problems etc. i think it may be what you just said, best run con.

Grav
07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
This was my first AMA but my 21st convention. I've been to Animazment, Katsucon, Otakon, Cubicon, Stellarcon, and anime next.

I was told not to linger in the hallway.. at a convention.. I was simply waiting for my friend to get out of the bathroom. When I tried to explain as much the asked if I wanted to be kick out of the convention.

I realize I look a bit young for my age however I was 19 during the convention and had both my NC drivers license and my Univeristy ID with me. Friday night I had two con staffers ask if I was over eighteen. The first left me alone after I said yes the second asked for ID and then left me be. I had no problem with that and I thank any staff member or security member who was simply doing their job in a polite way.

Saturday was a nightmare. I could not walk more than a few feet without someone demanding ID and then asking for a Virgina state id. I'm not from Virginia therefore I have no Virginia state id. Several accused me of having a fake ID. I showed them my university id which also has my birth date on it. They claimed that was a fake too. I pointed out that I had two forms of id that agreed with one another and that the license had the new NC holograms to prevent such fakes. They grabbed my shoulder and then called in an officer who then ran my license and verified it was real. They didn't apologize for the harassment instead they told me that I should look my age and get proper ID. I had proper id. My shoulder was bruised for days afterward.

My group of friends were harassed getting into the rave since one of our friend's ID's was old and part of it was fading. He was the oldest out of all of us, ran several panels and was staff at the con, and had three people to vouch for him and one was a relative who could act as a guardian if need be. The con staffer called a cop over and then we were threatened to be placed in jail, yelled at, and insulted as we attempted to explain the situation. After a few minutes we stated that if this was going to cause such a fuss we'd rather just head back to our hotel. They stated they couldn't allow that because we were suspected of illegal activity now and minors cannot go outside. Catch 22 much?

I saw a lot of people get treated just as badly and the vast majority of them were doing nothing wrong. We were all of age, all had at least one form of government issued ID, we were all polite about it, we were all treated horribly.

Other than the curfew related harassment the con wasn't that bad. It was a bit boring at times but that comes from it being a rather small convention. Our group is currently deciding if we want to return next year and if so, we plan on bringing some of the panels we run at other conventions with us to occupy us.

The amv's were fun if oddly scheduled as was the cosplay. There were few interesting panels but as more people become involved that should change. The dealer's room had a decent selection for being so small and the artist alley was great. A lot of the artists were very talented and fun to talk with.

If the curfew and overzealous enforcers have caused such issues this year and in years past I do hope the convention staff is thinking of ways to correct the situation. I'd hate to see an anime convention lose patrons because of this but if this occurs next year None of our group plans to ever return nor would we advise any of our friends to go.

Tenriyuu86
07-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Well for all you complainers out there, AMA has officially moved to where Anime USA is. Personally I'm upset about the move but I suppose it's definately for the better... =(

MoChan
07-27-2007, 09:25 PM
I had fun at the con, my only complaint about staff is that I got in troube for letting this guitar guy have a piece of paper and a sharpie to write with, because he wrote "will play for money" The lady came over and said "No you can't get money on the premisis by selling stuff." And I get that rule of course, but when he scribbled it out and wrote something else, she was like "No!" took th paper crumled it and told us it as our first and last warning... I was like.... o_o ... what did I do?

But I don't know about the hotel because I ended up being in a hotel that was 30min away from the con =_=" it sucked.

But the police and security are as high as they are because Richmond has the most crime in VA ((from what I've heard))

AMA was my first con so I'm still going next year... I had fun, dispite everything... so yeah...

Tikki
07-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Well for all you complainers out there, AMA has officially moved to where Anime USA is. Personally I'm upset about the move but I suppose it's definately for the better... =(

I was about to announce that myself since it's official on the staff list but you beat me to it. Besides, Anime USA is using that hotel for the first time itself this year, and Katsu was at that hotel for a good 5 (? or more?) years, so we can all know that their staff has a decent clue what to expect from the cons.

But that means no stupid age curfew! And we're in a hotel for the whole con again, with no convention center staff crap to deal with. For those two reasons alone, I think we can all be happy! I know I am... I like the Crystal City Hyatt.
Tikki

NeoLunaAngel
07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
WOOT! I was waiting for someone else to confirm this!!

Now time to announce it in a new thread XD

Lumasnati
07-28-2007, 02:44 PM
YAY!! Finally! I'm so excited now! Maybe AMA will be better this year! I'll go to see how everything works out.

Kaoshima
08-05-2007, 08:51 AM
I've been admittedly overly opptimistic this whole time, however this next year may yet see an improvement. Most if not all of the problems the past two years have been curfew related. The fact that next year, we'll be in a hotel again, should vastly improve on that.

Grav
08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm likely to go next year then if it's moved over. The katsucon hotel staff has never been a problem, if anything they seem either intereasted in what is happening or at least amused at our antics. They know what to expect and know how to handle things when some individuals start going too far.

It will be a joy to know I won't have to glue my id to my forehead to avoid being threatened with my arrest. I blame genetics for looking 14 and barely surpessing 5 ft!

AMA seems too small of a convention to have that much space. Perhaps in a few more years they could use it but it should find ample space at the hotel without spreading staff and con goers too thin.

gothicadam
09-02-2007, 10:55 AM
ahhh yes the fireworks.

The Con wasnt bad, it was just the security and marriot that ruined it for 50% of people, now that its in arlington no one should have to worry about it anymore, so everyone should come next year:)