PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With Cloud! Please!!!!

White_Stranger
04-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Kon'nichi wa, otomo-dachis!
Hehe...okay, now that I've publicly humiliated myself, I'd like to say a bit fat HELLO to all here. This is my first post as a Cosplay.com member and it already seems like a blast!
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm planning to attend Otakon '03, which will be my first anime con ever. (Please don't laugh. :D ) I was hoping to cosplay (also my first time) as the Kingdom Hearts design for Cloud Strife. I haven't begun yet, but I need a few tips.
The Buster Sword has me stumped. The blade shouldn't be to hard, but I don't know how to make it light enough to lug around a crowded con all day without passing out. Also, I don't know how to make the metal(ish) base where the blade connects to the handle.
Lastly, I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy or how to make the metal bangles and shoulder guard on Cloud's left arm. (I know I sound like a pest, but you all seem like nice peoples, and I'm not exactly the most innovative person out there. :razz:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much!
(PS. Anyone in the lower Delaware region who needs an extra person in his group for Otakon, I need someone to go with. I'm 16, been an fan of all things Japan for about 4 years, and really REALLY don't want to go to the con alone with my mom. :( Just wondering! Lemme know here or ask send me an e-mail or IM. Both are below. )
pookylee1987@yahoo.com
IM on yahoo- White_Knight_Raziel

hotohori74
04-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Welcome to Cosplay.com! Wheeee! *gives cookies* Enjoy your stay!!!! :)

Ah! KH Cloud Strife eh'? Nice, my friend is also going as him. I suggest the light, pink styrofoam you can find in and fabric store or a Home Depot. Silver spraypaint works wonders for metal-like things, another friend played Auron last year, and the sword was awesome! He's all over the net ,(pics).

And, you know that really light foam pieces you used to use in like first grade for art? If you don't, it's also in the fabric stores, just use that for bands and cover it with brown fabric. It works wonders.

Don't feel bad, I'm going as The Black Waltz 3 from FF9 to Otakon 2003. But I highly doubt I'd pick you out of the crowd of clouds, there's going to be alot of em'! Good luck on your costume! Hope my limited knowlage helped a little. :thumbsup:

(I like your signature, but I was so sick of hearing him say it again and again and again! If he was real, I'd strangle him!!!!! Ahem.. ;) )

MonoyashaJLA
04-30-2003, 08:01 AM
Hey cool you live in delaware too, sorry I live in Newark, so i believe were far apart...

Yep!!! I'm doing Cloud too, the pink foam is called Owens cornering foam, and yes you can get it at Home Depot for $10.00. Thats for a board thats 10ft long, 2ft wide, and 2 inches thick. Its great for creating large swords. I use it for all my weapon commissions. Plus, I use Fiberglass apoxy resin over the foam to make it hard, shiny, and smooth like a sword should be. o^-^o
I did have the buster sword almost done and wanted to show my friend, but got into a car accident and the tip broke off form the 40 mph impact :( Oh well, I just have to make anougher one.

Good luck!!!!

hotohori74
04-30-2003, 12:16 PM
Ouch! Hey, did u happen to go to Otakon 2002? If u were, did you see the Tidus with the fiberglass sword. I think it was actually real fiberglass so I've heard. Or a heck of an imitation. He was also a "black" Vash. The one with silver hair? He also did a dance alone in the masqurade. ;)

White_Stranger
04-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Hey again! *Munches cookie with a wide smile!*
Thanks for the help, I'll check out the Owens stuff. (Foam...so obvious! And I was about to try wood... :P ) BTW, I think I saw a pic of the tidus you're talking about on the net. That was an incredible sword! I spent hours just trying to figure out how he did that cool water-filled thing. So sweet!
I doubt there will be many Waltz's there (though I have no experience to base that on) but I'll be sure to say hi if I see you. I hope to finish my costume at least by the middle of June, so I'll be sure to post some pics beforehand. By the way, are the pants on KH cloud more blue or dark purple? I can't find any good pics on the net. I would just check the game, but I had to send my playstation in for repairs...I won't get it back for a month or so. WHAAAAA!!!! Nice meeting you all! Oh, Monoyasha, I live pretty far away, near Bethany Beach and Ocean City. Good 2-3 hours. Fare thee well, my brothers! (um...brothers and sisters...I mean...ooh, to hell with it.)

hotohori74
04-30-2003, 08:16 PM
I'm in Mass, so... eh'.
Yes, I haven't heard of anyone else doing The Black Waltz 3 Yet. (At least I won't need to see the audience when I'm in the masqurade! ;) I'll have my face covered!) Hope to see you there!
You won't miss my group, I'll be next to ffx Bahamut! :D

Buh-Bye!

White_Stranger
05-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Hey, I've got another question for Monoyasha. That Fiberglass apoxy resin stuff, what is that? Is is a spray, a paint-like thing? I'm going to HD this weekend, and need to know what to look for. Thanks!

MonoyashaJLA
05-02-2003, 05:46 PM
HEHE...It comes in a can thing and you buy a pump for it. I warn you its very expensive for the kind of fiberglass I'm talking about!!! I use West System apoxy resin. You spread it on with a foam brush and then throw the brush away....you can not wash out fiberglass, so dont get it on you!!! Too bad I never saw that Tidus sword...Katsucon 2003 was my first convention ^-^

kurohkku
05-02-2003, 05:59 PM
A good idea I used for my first cloud/zack costume is a skate helm for the shoulder armor. Just cut it in half and it is perfect.

It was very cool for my first costume ever but for this years otakon I'm going with aluminum.

Prince_Bejita
10-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Um...........if for some reason you have 300 bucks haning around......

http://www.weaponmasters.com/index.html?ID=0c729fb8830190c6739afaed7d5e5ea1&ITEM=BC-006

http://www.weaponmasters.com/index.html?ID=0c729fb8830190c6739afaed7d5e5ea1&ITEM=BC-006&SUB_ITEM=MORE_PICTURES&SORT=&FDX=&FMAX=

It's not sharpened..........so that should be a-okay for a con, right....?

dEmEnTeDcHiCkEn
10-13-2003, 02:20 AM
Awesome!

It looks like someone besides me visits swordsonline! Lucky me, I went to their bakersfield clearance sale and picked up a buster sword for $75. Ha!

That fiberglass apoxy resin... How much does it cost?

dEmEnTeDcHiCkEn
10-14-2003, 08:20 PM
By the way, for the shulder bangle, just buy any toy knight helm and remove the visor and top. I did that, and it looks pretty much exact.

archangeli
10-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Um...........if for some reason you have 300 bucks haning around......

http://www.weaponmasters.com/index.html?ID=0c729fb8830190c6739afaed7d5e5ea1&ITEM=BC-006

http://www.weaponmasters.com/index.html?ID=0c729fb8830190c6739afaed7d5e5ea1&ITEM=BC-006&SUB_ITEM=MORE_PICTURES&SORT=&FDX=&FMAX=

It's not sharpened..........so that should be a-okay for a con, right....?

1) It's TOO SMALL!!! Cloud's buster sword is one huge-ass piece of tin!

2) NO convention will let you on the premises with live metal. Whether that thing is sharpened or not, it will get confiscated by security!

Save your money and make it out of wood or foam. It'll be cheaper, lighter and you won't have to worry about having it taken from you!

VII Fangirl
10-17-2003, 12:53 AM
Do they snag resin, too? (If it looks a lot like metal.)

dEmEnTeDcHiCkEn
10-18-2003, 03:39 AM
I tried to make it out of foam. It's a little misshapen, and the holes are off to one side. Juuuuuust great.

*sigh* looks like I'm going with the holes off to one side!