PDA

View Full Version : Transportation to AX

Setsuna
04-29-2003, 10:02 PM
I just introduced myself a short while ago... I'm new to cosplay, have a few grand plans for costumes, but don't think I'll have anything spectacular done until August.

However, I will be in California most probably in July. So I thought that missing AX would be a crime, ne?

HOWEVER... I will be puttering about in the Bay Area and have no real way of getting to AX. I wondered if anyone else might be going along that route?

Thanks in advance!

HappyCLAMPer
05-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Youre in the "Bay"area? As in San Francisco? If you are, then you probably already know that the distance from San Francisco to Anaheim is "way too many miles." People usually take a plane to get from the North bay to the South Bay.

Hakaider
05-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Try to see if you can get a flight from San Francisco to LA. You may be able to get some cheap fares if you shop around.

Southwest Airlines sometimes have fares as low as $25 one way.

The plane flight would take about 45 minutes to one hour. Once you reach the LA airport , you can take the various airport shuttles (The Supershuttle or PrimeTime) or the Airport bus. Be sure that the shuttle or the bus is listed as going to "ANAHEIM".

The airport shuttles and the airport bus will take you directly to the Anaheim Mariott, Anaheim Hilton, Coast Anaheim Hotel.

Approximate cost for the shuttles and bus would be around $25-$35 one way. ( A tip of about $2-3 would be sufficient.) It's better if you try to make some sort of an advanced appointment with them. They do require you to make an advanced appointment when you want to return to the LA airport and catch a flight back to the Bay area.

Here's the link to Supershuttle in case you need to call them:

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/lax.htm

Driving from the Bay area to Anaheim can take from 6 -10 hours.
It may take longer if there is heavy traffic or you hit LA during rush hour. It may be a bit diificult to find someone to drive you there for 6-8 hours, but you may get lucky because many people from the Bay area go to AX. ( Keep in mind though that their cars may be full.)

Be sure to make an hotel reservation from the convention hotels in advance. ( The Anaheim Marriott still have some rooms left.)

Do not wait until the last minute to make a reservation or you will be forced to check in at a different non convention hotel at very high rates. Some of those hotels in Anaheim would jack up their prices if you try to check in at the door instead of making an advanced reservation. ( You do NOT want to sleep in the streets after dark.)

For more information about the AX hotels and how to make reservations, here's the link from their official website:

http://www.anime-expo.org/location.html

Note: You can make a reservation if you have a credit card and are over 18. ( Have your parents arrange it for you if you are under age.)

The Mariott hotel will accept reservations at NO cost.

However, if you cannot make it, then you MUST tell the hotel and cancel within 74 hours of your expected arrival or you will be charged with a heavy penalty. (Possibly two to three night's worth of lodging if you do not cancel.)

The Anaheim Hilton will charge one night's lodging on your credit card when you make a reservation.

If you are staying at a friend's or a relative's house, then you don't have to worry about getting a hotel reservation, but you would need to make some sort of transportation arrangements with your relatives or friends in order to to go to the con every day.

Good luck!

Miaka No Baka
05-08-2003, 05:28 PM
actually a closer airport to fly into is SNA orange county john wayne airport. Sometimes the flights are much cheaper that way and you only have a 20 min drive instead of a 40 minute drive to aniheim.

Driving down to anaheim isn't too bad, but you can always rent a car if you are old enough and drive down. Easiest way to get down south is either the I5, the 101 or if you're closer to the central valley the 99 (which joins the I5 before the grapevine) A plane ticket will probably be cheaper than renting the car cause usually it'll cost ya close to 100 if not more for the 4 days (if you rent it on thursday and return it sunday) but then again hotel shuttles are expensive. Maybe if you fly you can get a friend or someone to pick u up from the airport ^_^;

Miaka no Baka