PDA

View Full Version : Please Read: Virus Warning

Cynthia
08-27-2002, 11:24 PM
Having lived through the trouble of fixing a computer after a virus I'm posting this message to inform you all about an email virus. It's called jdbgmgr.exe IT CAN'T BE DETECTED BY NORTON OR MCAFEE. It lies dormant for 14 days and then distroys your computer. Its sent by messenger and address books-so if you have it, so does all of your friends. I've already had to remove it from my computer. To see if you have it:
1)Go to the "Start" menu, and go to Find and click Files & Folders;
2)Type in the virus file above;
3)To remove it click Edit and then Select All-don't click on the file!
4)Then click File and Delete to Recycle Bin
5)Empty Recycle Bin
6)Check all of your hard drives.
I hope this gets to everybody before somebodies computer gets fried.

Yggdrasil Pie
08-27-2002, 11:41 PM
OMG!! I found it in my computer, I was so scared... I deleted it though... It should be okay now...right? @_@

Oshi
08-28-2002, 12:05 AM
Quick tip: Instead of sending to the Recycle bin, hit Shift+Delete. That will immediately wipe it off your drive.

*does a quick check...*

Hot damn! I found me the little bug-... ger... waitaminute... I know that filename! That's no virus... It's a normal Windows file!
It's the Java Debugger registrar.

You guys have been had... it is not a virus... every Windows computer has that file...
Though... I suppose a java-transmitted virus could... nah. Not likely.

Harley, either you're trying to f$ck with us, or you got some bad information ^_^

A good way to doublecheck if it's a virus... if the Date/Modified column has a very recent date, then it may be viral. But mine has a date of Feb 7, '02. Which is when the WinXP Pro CD I have was created. It's perfectly fine.

ZiggyB
08-28-2002, 12:15 AM
Yes this is a hoax. Official information on it is at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

There's also instructions on how to restore the file since erasing it will break some Java applets you try to run in IE.

Another interesting thing on the site is the various versions of the message. There's German, Czech, etc. No Japanese though. :)

Oshi
08-28-2002, 01:29 AM
Ehhh... possibly... when you try to run a Javascript on a webpage, it might... If anything happens like that, AIM me and I'll send you the file.

DJ(SiC)ness
08-28-2002, 07:48 PM
DAMNIT , you know i should of finished reading the thread. I deleated it, and the program isn't avaliable for web download! Now what am i supposed to do!

~DJ

Sana-chan
08-28-2002, 08:11 PM
Gah I did the same thing -_-. So gullible I am lol.

Cynthia
08-28-2002, 09:27 PM
I had a feeling it was something like that because I never have viruses on my computer. I'm not saying I don't get them at all, but the last few we had was because my older brother downloaded a whole bunch of junk onto the computer from some sites and then it screwed the machine. In fact, since me, my dad, and my lil' brother have gotten a computer of our own we haven't had a virus on here-nobody downloads anything except for updates to things like Winzip and stuff. I'm sorry guys-If I find out who's responsible I'm going to pull a Jay and Silent Bob on them.

Oshi
08-29-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by HarleyQuinn
If I find out who's responsible I'm going to pull a Jay and Silent Bob on them.
o/~ How many people wanna kick some ass... o/~
Heheheh XD

DJ(SiC)ness
08-29-2002, 12:55 AM
SNOOGANS!!!!

Shima-Mizu
08-29-2002, 12:32 PM
::needs to read more before deleting stuff...bangs head on table:: Dunno how I fell for it, but I did....I won't start whining just yet...only when java programs don't work, heh.

What REALLY didn't help though was that I had just read the shift+delete thing when deleting it so I couldn't easily go restore it from the recycle bin since it didn't go there x.X