PDA

View Full Version : 'Sewing emergency kit'

Oshi
08-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Okay... I got two needles, two bobbins of thread (one black one brown), safety pins, normal pins, a seam remover, and some hooks+latches... then I'll be bringing duct tape and scotch tape...
Anybody think of anything else that could go in here?

*looks over at his fabric tape measure* ... nah.

Ali-kun
08-28-2002, 12:53 AM
Scissors? XD

(sorry, you didn't list that, so I HAD to go and point it out ^_~)

Depends on what kind of emergencies COULD happen with your costume...if it's a simple costume, that's likely plenty - I shudder to think of all the junk I'd pack "in case of emergency" if I made an outstandingly complex costume like some I've seen from the more experienced/brave cosplayers here ^_~

That's about what I brought to A-kon, except I had twice as many thread colors and some extra ribbon as well, since that's what my costumes needed. Luckily, I had absolutely no use for it ^__^ Hopefully you won't either, but if you weren't at all prepared, SOMETHING would.
Random insanity - I was horrified to discover that the Touya from my AnC group had used hot glue to attatch buckles to his shirt...but I only found out when one fell halfway off in the middle of the day ^^;; I kept offering to go up to the room and sew it on for him, but he didn't want to >_<
Moral: avoid the use of hot glue if at all possible, and don't let Ali respond to posts because she starts rambling off subject.

Just curious, but when you say bobbins, do you mean the metal things that go inside the sewing machine, or the way the thread's sold in the store? 'cause with the latter, it's usually called a spool.
Hmm, chatroom. So if I went in the chatroom, I would find you there, because your sig declares that you are always there? What if you LIE?!

Oshi
08-28-2002, 01:22 AM
SCISSORS! Duhh... heh. Mm... hm. Small scizzors... *sticks his mini pocket knife in there*

By bobbins, yes, I mean the... well, mine are clear plastic, mini-spools that go on the inside of the machine. They fit right in this little case that has everything in it ^_^;

The sig doesn't lie.. though, sometimes I'm idle... say my name, and mIRC starts beeping

Tenshisama
08-28-2002, 02:30 AM
sounds like your kit is good to go...but to be doubly sure, you might consider bring a little thing of thread for every color you have in your costume where you might have to sew something or patch something up.

I have several small sewing kits and they are a lifesaver. When I was AX I discovered that some ribbons just didn't want to stay in place, so I had my friends sew them down... and then a back bow wouldn't stay in place, so I that got sewn down as well. :) if I hadn't had that kit, I probably would have lost my back bow -_-;

L to the 3rd
08-28-2002, 04:14 AM
VELCRO!!! and super glue..that's all I need

Sami
08-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Ali-kun

Moral: avoid the use of hot glue if at all possible,

AAA YES, that is so true.... ;________;

*flashbacks; begin SamiStory*

I used hot glue to attach the yellow triangles to my Kid costume, as well as the velcro strips that would close the skirt and generally hold it up. Well, that fateful Friday morning when it rained like a ^%%@#(&%... apparently rain + hot glue = disaster because not only were some of my triangles peeling, but I noticed that my skirt was sloowly creeping undone.. all the glue holding the velcro had crapped out on me, and I had to hold the damn thing through the whole registration line until I could weasel a safety pin off my friend. ^^; I had to pin the skirt shut, but no one seemed to notice either way BUT... the crisis could have been averted. :(

*/flashback*

LOL in my sewing kit this year I had thread but no needles. WOOHOO!! ..... :thumbsup:

Rosiel
08-28-2002, 12:01 PM
> Moral: avoid the use of hot glue if at all possible

Well it depends for WHAT.

Hot glue is a lifesaver when you're wearing platemail and need quick repairs. Not only will it hold great, you can peel the glue off the metal when you're done.

I always need it for panicked feather-glueing also.

So I never leave for a con without my gluegun! =)

Cynthia
08-28-2002, 09:35 PM
A stapler and staples. Yes, I have problems. But, I've seen this used in cases where the fabric was too much trouble to resew (ex:denim or brocade) or there simply wasn't any time to sew it-the train to your costume rips minutes before your stellar performance. And it makes less mess than hotglue and is water proof, if not submerged.

KuroBara
08-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Krazy Glue, double-sided tape can work for last-second fixes. Those little hotel sewing kits with the needles pre-threaded are really nice!

Nietsche
08-28-2002, 11:01 PM
Interesting that Velcro and hot glue appearing in the same thread...

I decided that the best way to attach my wax crayon 'bullets' to my belt was by sticking a long trail of velcro along the strip of pleather and then stick the opposing velcro around each crayon and then attach them thinking they'd be strong enough hold on..
However, as costumes always seem to go...they kept falling off at the convention so I resorted to hot glueing the crayons...It seemed that the combination of hot glue straight on the velcro created a powerful hold...granted that the bullets were no longer detachable but none of them fell off ever again!

Blah....another useless reply from Nietsche!

Oh..Oshi, don't forget to bring a camera (reminder..nothing to do with the costume emergency kit but still..)
Oh if you have boot covers i tend to keep a staple gun nearby just in case they come loose! (you stick the staples into the sole not the fabric where your feet actually go)

Oshi
08-29-2002, 12:28 AM
Oh, camera is all ready to go. *pats his Sony CyberShot* Three pairs of rechargeable batteries, too. Bringing my laptop just in case 96 pictures isn't enough... which I have a feeling it won't be; and if I get bored, yknow, just sit down, play some DWI... heh.

Crayons as bullets, huh? Hm... what costume is this for? O.o;

Nietsche
08-29-2002, 06:41 AM
WildArms Advanced 3rd
Jet Enduro-You can see it in the photo section
It'll be the one with brown leather jacket with one sleeve cut off, red and white scarf, blue jeans, red and white leg wrap and a long barrel gun.
I'm standing next to a guy with a western style big sniper rifle and specs.

You can see the 'bullets' on ma belt!

Koumori
08-29-2002, 07:44 AM
This isn't a sewing item so much, but it's been a lifesaver for me: a checklist of *every* item that's supposed to go with your costume, to be checked before you leave for the con, when you put on and take off your costume, and when you're leaving to go home.

Rosiel
08-29-2002, 10:37 AM
> to be checked before you leave for the con, when you put on and take off your costume, and when you're leaving to go home.

Realistically, I only check it before the con (so that I won't have a panic attack and open my suitcase to check if I have my ear-rings packed in transit).

I wish I thought of going through it when I pack to go back home, since I /always/ lose /something/ at every con, but I am generally in such a panic because I overslept I barely have the time to stuff everything in the suitcase and SIT on it. LOL

Koumori
08-29-2002, 01:33 PM
Yeah, welllll... I worry a lot. :)

Kusanagi
08-29-2002, 03:32 PM
LOL.

Since all my costumes tend to be complex, my emergency kit includes:

Superglue

Staples

Duct Tape.

moo
08-29-2002, 05:55 PM
I prefer gaffer's tape over duct tape. It sticks as well as duct tape but can be peeled off easily without taking chunks of whatever it was stuck to (like skin... O_O). It's matte and comes in all sorts of colors and widths. It can be found in photography/film supply places and art stores. Yes, it costs more than duct tape but it's so much better! :D

Other things in my emergency sewing kit: needles, thread, small pointy scissors (the surgical kind?), a thimble if my costume has thick materials, safety pins, bobby pins, a bit of velcro, and extra buttons or other notions in case they fall off of my costume.

Ina
08-29-2002, 06:29 PM
yeah me too, i have to check EVERYTHING, even the costume it self, maybe it has a open seam? or maybe there's something wrong , maybe something is loose or falling? but yeah know, there's always a sewing emergency kit tho ^^ but a check list is good, very good ^_^

FlameSniperRei
08-29-2002, 07:20 PM
What is Gaffer's tape? I kinda like electrical tape.

People you gotta have your mini glue gun if you have props... it works wonders at the last minute! Even costumes with beads n such too...

Our Emergency kit is a big fishing tackle box and we hold our makeup in there as well. :) We have: Mirror, clearisil, Siccors, beads, ribbons, rolls of thread, needles, bobby pins, wig caps, brushes, fake jewels, eye shadows, lip sticks, makeup remover, eye pencils, lash curler, plucker, makeup brush, paint brush, glue gun, pencils, makeup spounges, cotton balls, qtips, jewerly glue, super glue, and glue stick, pins, sticky velcro (black and white) and I think that is about it. x_x* <~ very prepared

:juggler:

A lot of people use Kaboodles too which is also a great idea. :)

Oshi
08-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Hm... I wonder if gaffers tape is the same clear, strong tape I use when splicing film together in projection (I work at a movie theater).
Shizznit... I should snatch a roll of that... hm... bah.

moo
08-29-2002, 08:07 PM
Gaffer's tape (or is it gaffer tape?) is a fabricky sort of tape that's very easy to rip by hand but is strong, and is used in studios and film sets to tape down cords and cables, hold up props, and put guidemarks on the stage, etc. It's usually black or grey in color and looks a lot like duct tape but isn't shiny. It's named after the folks who do the thankless gruntwork on film shoots: gaffers. Once you've used the stuff, you'll never look at duct tape ever again!

The Church of the Holy Gaffer Tape:
http://www.exposure.co.uk/eejit/gaffer/

a supplier of Permacel, the "good gaffer's tape" as opposed to the "cheap stuff," which is pretty dandy too ^_^
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/gaffertape.html

this page gave me a headache:
http://www.identi-tape.com/gaffer.htm

FlameSniperRei
08-30-2002, 02:03 PM
ohhhh that's cool, thanks guys for the 411 on gaffer's tape. I think I've seen it before, I just didn't know what it was, I assumed it was a different type of duct tape. :>

Who here thinks double sided tape is godly? *.*

Kusanagi
08-31-2002, 06:35 PM
Oh, camera is all ready to go. *pats his Sony CyberShot* Three pairs of rechargeable batteries, too. Bringing my laptop just in case 96 pictures isn't enough... which I have a feeling it won't be; and if I get bored, yknow, just sit down, play some DWI... heh.

DWI owns. :D