PDA

View Full Version : D*C Parade

Squiggle
06-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Hello all! I'm brand new to cosplay, brand new to this site, and this will be my first year at Dragon*Con! Wooo! I'm a newbie all around. :) So I'm in the middle of making a Princess Peach dress (it's about 70% done) and it's turning out really nicely. I would like to participate in the parade with it but I'm unsure how to go about doing so. Is there registration? Do you just jump in and start hikin'? How does that work? Isn't it on Saturday? Also; is it worth it? If I march in the parade, will I be missing out on convention stuff? How long is the parade? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions!:crylaugh: Thanks!

The Kraken
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
The parade is FUN! It's on Saturday morning and a lot of people complain that it's too early and they don't want to get up and blah blah blah. There's a registration. When you get your badge, you might want to ask about it. I was with my group last year and our leader handled that part, so I'm not sure exactly how it's done. But the bottom line is, it's a lot of fun to march in the parade, especially with a group. I recommend it.

lostchildmiroku
06-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah last year i was a half naked fox belly dancer (kindof) thingy i created (original creation) me and a friend were put in the mixed bag but this year i am doing eather my heartless or my secret costume (both in the game/anime) section ^^ it was fun and it was not too early it was just right and you can enter at the registration booths or they tell you were to go ^^ it was soo much fun we had a group of 19 enter and i hope this year we have more. (19 in my group put througout the entire parade XD )

Squiggle
06-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Yay! I hope to see you guys there! ^-^ My friend had told me that she thought it was too early so I doubt she'll go but I'm used to getting up at about 6 am anyhoo. All the pics and videos I've seen of the parade look really fun. Does any one know if there will be a Nintendo group?

TechieCL
06-30-2007, 01:15 AM
To help you find the various groups
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dc_parade/

And the direct email to the parade coordinators.
parade@dragoncon.org

Monicator
06-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Yay! I hope to see you guys there! ^-^ My friend had told me that she thought it was too early so I doubt she'll go but I'm used to getting up at about 6 am anyhoo. All the pics and videos I've seen of the parade look really fun. Does any one know if there will be a Nintendo group?

Hey if theres a Nintendo group I need to join in! I'm gonna be Fox McCloud, lol mabey we can take photos togeather :bigtu:

The Kraken
06-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Man, that Yahoo group is a hot mess. Is there a simpler way to see exactly how many groups and what kinds they are without going through all those pages?

TheDemon2300
06-30-2007, 09:50 PM
As the sole rep for the D*C Parade staff for this site, let me go on the record saying the following:

1. The parade is lots of fun. I've worked behind the scenes for the past 2 years, and it's a blast.

2. The parade is divided into categories of costumes based on the tracks of the Con. Within each category, we have various groups that often costume together (ie. The 501st, Arms of Middle-Earth, Wolfpac...) and we have people who costume and aren't part of a big group. This is more commonly seen in our anime/video game section. As I've said in another thread, you can feel free to organize with other people within your category (ie. by show, game series/company).

3. The Yahoo Group provided is one of two ways to pre-register for the parade (the other is the email addy). If you do not pre-reg, you must register at the Con before the parade Sat morning.

4. The most important rule of all: You MUST be a Member of the Con before the parade on Sat, or you won't be allowed to participate. Which means you need to show up Thursday or Friday to get your badge, since Con Reg isn't open at 6:30/7am.

Now then, any questions?

TheDemon2300
07-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Update for those interested: It's rumored that right now, the Browncoats (Firefly) could actually outnumber the Star Wars people (namely the 501st, probably not every SW group.) in the parade this year.

Also, we currently have around 1100 people pre-reged for the parade so far. So if you haven't signed up yet, get to it!

london2191
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Holy shizz, Firefly beat the stormtroopers? O.O Pretty amazing for a canceled show.

Loganallenwolf
07-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I sent an e-mail to pre-register to walk in the parade as Hawkman. Thanks for the link!

orca_sora
07-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Yikes!! Better stop procrastinating and get on that XD

ETA: Done so. Now registered on the Y!Group database. Hope that's all I need to do for our group :-D

london2191
07-09-2007, 03:54 AM
Is there a deadline for the parade reg?

TheDemon2300
07-09-2007, 11:03 AM
We would prefer you use the Yahoo group database, but there is onsite registration Thursday afternoon/evening and all day Friday. We generally go by the rule that you must have your Con badge before the parade on Saturday, but there are still people who will jump in off the street (still in costume tho) and people who show up the morning of the parade wanting to walk before they get their badges. Despite the rules, we usually let these people walk anyway, as a sign of good faith.
The only solid rule that we try to enforce is registration. The PTB wants us to keep tally of how many people and vehicles are in the parade every year.

As for a deadline for online registration, I'm not sure exactly when Jan prints out her final copy that she takes to Con with her. I'll go on a limb and say 1-2 weeks before Con. Sooner the better tho. I'm gonna be putting mine up once my Flash Lightning and Costume get here (gool 'ol eBay).

The Kraken
07-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Hey Demon, any word on who will be leading the parade this year? Usually it's Cobra, but they barely showed up last year. I understand they'll be coming back in force this time.

fightstar
07-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey Demon, any word on who will be leading the parade this year? Usually it's Cobra, but they barely showed up last year. I understand they'll be coming back in force this time.

No $h!7#! I, and some nice young lady who was dressed as the Baroness whom I have never meet until that day, where the only ones in the parade. The others didn't want to do it. I'm all in there like shareware, but it's hard when you are by yourself.

As to who is leading the parade this year your guess is as good as mine my friend. Sounds like it's time for Wolf Pack to step it up and establish it's dominance.

The Kraken
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Ha ha! We'd love to lead the parade. We certainly have a big enough group this year.

quiksilvababe
07-10-2007, 03:14 PM
hey guys! anyone who is cosplaying a Marvel character, let me know!

I want to get a group together [forgive me if there already is?] and tell the parade duder [you can register yourself by e-mail at: taknflyte@yahoo.com]
who is going in our whole group!

I myself, will be Black Cat.

thanks!!

lostchildmiroku
07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
okay for the parade i just wana meet up with friends but i am having an argument with myself

i want to cosplay kilala for the parade but at the same time i wana do heartless.....then theres other costumes i am doing ...about 5 or 6 total

TheDemon2300
07-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Kraken: I'm not sure who'll be leading the parade this year. We're under a new director (tho I've worked with her the last 2 years) and she may or may not change it up some. Feel free to submit suggestions to her via email or the Yahoo group.

miroku: Wear whichever costume is most comfortable for you. You'll be getting up at the crack of dawn, donning your costume, walking to the staging area, then walking back. We don't want people passing out from heat exhaustion (tho Lil' Coffee Shop usually provides water before and after the parade).

lostchildmiroku
07-17-2007, 12:09 AM
TheDemon2300: thanks for the advice i think i will go with the heartless then becouse its not covered in fur (like kilala ) and i can drink water through the costume ^^... Thanks soo much ^^

TheDemon2300
07-17-2007, 12:22 AM
No prob.

The Kraken
07-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Oh man. Try standing around and then marching in all black tactical armor and a gas mask. I got my sweat on last year, that's for sure.

TheDemon2300
07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Important Email update from the Parade Director regarding the route:

Hi All,

While I do not yet have the final, approved route to share, I can
tell you that the last part of our route is changing due to the Baker
Street closure for Marriott construction.

The proposed change is not a big one and it doesn't add any
significant distance or time to the parade. The majority of the
route is unchanged - we will continue to march from Woodruff Park on
Peachtree to the Hyatt, turning right onto Baker Street.

However instead of continuing on Baker to Courtland and the
Marriott's back entrance we (TENTATIVE - NOT FINAL):

- go only one block on Baker, turning right onto Peachtree Center
Avenue (Marriott's front entrance).

- continue to Harris Street, turning left (onto Harris).

- march one block on Harris to Courtland, turning left (onto
Courtland), with the parade ending at the Marriott's back entrance
(SOP).

FYI, as of the July 14 staff meeting, the Marriott's back entrance
area was fenced off. However we have been assured that area will be
cleared and open by parade day.

More to come,
JP

ravenmist
07-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Ok, I'll be in one of the groups in the parade, but I can't get my tickets and all until Saturday morning and I'll be getting there VERY early! Because of work there's no way I can leave to be there Friday, unless is a friend who is going to be there before me allowed to get my stuff for me? I pre-registered a while ago. What time does the parade usually start? I want to make sure I have everything set up OK. Thanks!

TheDemon2300
07-20-2007, 08:34 PM
The parade lineup starts at like 7 or 8, I forget exactly. Check the Yahoo Group, it should have all the info you need. If not, then just post there and you'll get the exact time from someone.

caramon
07-30-2007, 02:09 AM
If anyone is cosplaying as a Dragonball character then let me know. I'm going to register. Feel free to e-mail me at ebonfist@hotmail.com

I'm going as Vegeta

TheDemon2300
08-13-2007, 09:52 PM
More News from the director via the Yahoo Group (see the actual post here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dc_parade/message/1308))

Hi All,

Our Chairman was wondering if we could get someone (or more than one
someone) to "clean up" this year after the parade, as in following the
parade and pretending to sweep or pick up "trash." You really don't
have to clean up anything along the route, just acting.

Thoughts we've had are this:

A "little old janitor" like the one that followed the parade ending the
Mr. Peabody (and his boy Sherman and the Wayback Machine) adventures
during the "Rocky & Bullwinkle Show." Old guy, trash can on wheels,
sweeper broom, grumbling.

An Azkaban prisoner "chain gang" doing street cleaning (without the use
of wands, of course...).

Anyone (or small group) interested in taking on this role? Any other
ideas?

Thanks,
JP

piratelife4me
08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Who will join the pirate group?

A19Riku
08-25-2007, 03:38 PM
hi i was hoping to do the parade but ive got one slight problem i live in tennessee and wont get to go to the con on friday due to the fact that i cant skip school but i do have friends who are going on friday bc they live in atlanta. Does anyone know if they would be allowed to get my badge for me since we pre reg together in a group

TheDemon2300
08-27-2007, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure about your Con badge, you can sure try. However, I see no problem in them picking up your parade ribbon for you.