PDA

View Full Version : How to surivive Dragon Con

fightstar
06-28-2007, 11:10 AM
"How to Survive Dragoncon Guide"

I had one of our Spartans ask this question and I though make a thread about this sounds like a good idea! I have read about other cons and the con going experience as well as going to Dragon since 2K5! Here are a few things I would suggest.

7 to 5 days before the con do the following:

1) Vitamins and/or Airborne. Since you will be exposed to people and an environment that you are not accostum to. So as not to get sick you want to load your body with healthy fighting elements for this. Especially since sleep will be little to none. Trust me!

2) Drinking water. Got to Wally-world, Sam's, Coscos, whatever and get a case of bottle water. A case is cheap 4 to 5 dollars and you can refill the bottles as needed. If you are flying bring a refillable water bottle. Best to have one with you at con and not need it then to not have one and really need it. Cheaper than trying to buy a water while you are there.

3) Breakfast bars. I like this one myself because breakfast is an important meal of any con. Gets you going before you are force to hunt for food in the "food court of costume glory". Whatever your heart desires for Breakfast bars or protein bars is fine.

One receipt for me was to get a one bar, an empty water bottle filled with water/energy drink/tea of choice and drop an Umph tablet (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/6b4f/) caffee in the bottle. Go down stairs and find a quite place to have breakfast. Since having a coffee machine is a little hard for those who are flying this is a good solution for those who need their early morning caffine kick.

3) Pepcid Complete, Pepto-bismol, and imodium AD. There are times that the "food court of costume glory" has some dumb-A$$ cook the chicken wrong which gets loads of people sick. This can ruin your con experience something fearce. So like the Boy Scouts 'Be Prepared'. Even if you get generics from the local pharmasy and it is only a 5 day or short supply it's better than nothing. Lets hope you will not need this, but everyone has hit this bump one time or another.

4)Minor sewing kit. A little needle, thread, and some extra buttons just in case your costume didn't make the travel as well as you.

5)Febreze. Do I really need to say any more than this?

6)Plastic bags. Old shopping bags are good, but you can bring trash bags and some bigger zipp locks if you like. This is for whatever. Stinky clothing, trash, con swag, etc. Helps keep things organized on the trip back.

7) Power Strip and batteries. We all have electronics and needs to power them. Basically put batteries for digital cameras and the power strip (hopefully one that is surge protected) to recharge cellphones, laptops, batteries, etc.

8) Alarm clock. Seems silly, but when you want to take a power nap and you don't want to miss that next panel or the parade!

9)Pens, pencils, and High Lighter. Office supplies to help you with the con guide and mark where you want to go next in your day.

That is all I could think of for Pre-Con Preparation. If you want to add anything please feel free. This is for all to learn, enjoy and experince the best of the best that is Dragon Con.

Darth Takeo
06-28-2007, 11:36 AM
In the spirit of item #5, I'd also say Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Aspirin, or whichever your headache/pain reliever of choice happens to be.

Great man once said, on the subject of staying up all night/skipping sleep; "You either sleep, or you eat." So to reinforce #3, make sure you're eating cuz at the con, it gets very easy to go 3,4 or 5 hours forgetting to grab food, then it catches up with you and can take you out. Just as should be done in everyday life, stick to smaller, but more frequent meals. Then if you're gonna pull the all nighter, when feeling tired, instead of sleeping, go eat! :D

Something else that helped me; hitting the exercise/weight room. I was contemplating last year taking off from my routine for the con, but then decided since the Marriott has such a nice room, I'd take advantage. Was I ever glad I did, not only for helping keep me energized, but I got to work out next to Ray Park himself! What timing! That doesn't happen every day!

The Kraken
06-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Working out next to Ray Park? That's awesome! I'd like to double up on everything you guys said, especially with the advice of stomach/head medicine. If you're a drinker, I suggest one water for every drink. You don't want to be throwing up and crap. I also recommend taking some headache stuff while you're drinking as it will cut down on the possibility of getting a hangover. Since most hangovers are caused by dehydration, the one-two punch of Excedrin and an adequate amount of water should be able to keep one at bay. Also, EAT. For God's sake eat. Finally, you mentioned coffee, Fightstar. Most rooms have a little coffee pot tucked away in a nook somewhere or in the bathroom. It's typically only a two or three cup machine, but should do the trick. OH! One more drinking tip (I'm not an alcoholic! I swear!): the con suite is a great place for free mixers. Juice, soda, whatever is usually there. So save some room in your cooler by not bringing that stuff.

Ragresen
06-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Been eternal at DC since 1991. I have gone days with out food execpt for injesting alchol. Breakfest what is that? I am normally not up till about 10 in the morning and well by them I am ready for lunch if I bother to eat. Oh yes there is a neat thing called the Con Suite. You get free food and drink there. The sew kit is a nice idea if you costume. Over all the best way to survive DC is to have fun and stay smart. if you feel hungry go eat. If not go Party.

halafax
06-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Remember the 5,2,2 rule

5 hrs of sleep

atleast two showers
and two meals.

london2191
06-28-2007, 05:37 PM
lol...I didn't use any of these and I survived. Then again, I went one day. Don't forget safety pins!

I'll definitely keep this in mind, thanks. =D

Monicator
06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
LOL Last year for D*C I didnt do any of those, except for shower. Its was so difficult to get out of/into my Cyrax costume that I avoided eating so I wouldnt have to use the bathroom. It worked too and I managed to run around the convention and stay in costume for pretty much 10+ hours. I was never hungry or tired...being "in character" took care of that, but I did have a few sips of water now and then. I also carried around a roll of duct tape in case anything bad happened to my armor XD

The Kraken
06-28-2007, 09:51 PM
That costume is awesome! Certainly the best one I've seen.

TheWickedOne
06-29-2007, 12:57 AM
a couple of extra tips for those who induldge in partying:

1. bring enough cigarettes if you're a smoker. it's hard to find them in downtown ATL, and if you do, they're expensive as all get out.

2. if you bring your own alcohol, then bring plasic cups. sometimes staff gets wierd when you carry a beer bottle around the con. they definitely get weird with cans, considering no canned beer is sold at the convention.

3. utility belts are more than just for show. OVERSTOCK them with anything you may need for the duration of stay outside your room. again, OVERSTOCK!

4. know your limits! alot of people from all over are there to have a good time. they've spent a lot of time and money on costumes and a lot of money on cameras and photography equipment. it'd be a shame to lose control and have to pay a lot of money to replace any of that.

5. cellphones or mini walkie-talkies. if you go out as a group, but split up, then these are incredibly handy. you never know when someone famous will walk by, get recognized and stopped. call your friends and let them know. as an example: i almost knocked over alan tudyk and summer glau from "firefly" last year and my girlfriend could not be reached, but i got to meet them.

hope these little tidbits will help out anyone to whom they may apply.

Amechan
06-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Hot glue gun! I never go to a con without it!

Oh, and bring extra batteries. I made the mistake of not charging my battery for my camera last year, and couldn't use it... which made me pretty sad.

Turn your cell phone on vibrate. You're not going to hear it unless it's 2 a.m. - 7 a.m. It always drives me nuts when my friends don't answer their phones at D*C simply because they don't hear them ring. You're more likely going to know someone is calling if the thing is on vibrate in your back pocket!

oh! oh! Another thing, bring snacks or something to carry around! I generally carry a couple of granola bars around for when I get hungry in the afternoon. It's amazing how much one granola bar will make you feel better. (if you don't like granola bars, then bring something like chex mix)

vampirate
06-29-2007, 08:23 AM
About food suggestions: Things that are tastey without refrigeration or cooking are good, like poptarts and granola bars. I like bringing some SlimFast bars because some of the flavors are actually good, they are quick to eat, and they have vitamins and such in them. And you can use your tiny coffee pot in the room to make things like cup ramen and cup oatmeal. I also like to bring Gatorade.

About TheWickedOne's alcohol suggestion: I'm bringing a sippy cup this year, you know like for toddlers. Now I won't have to worry about spilling it, carrying around a bottle, plus I get to carry around a cute Disney princess cup. ;)

Don't forget all your bathroom stuff. After you've packed go back and look through your bathroom again. Yes you could buy new deodorant if you forget it, but just remember everything and that's one less thing to do later.

Check your phone for messages. The reception isn't great everywhere so you may have missed calls.

And yes, I always have things like Tums with me. You never know when something isn't going to agree with you.

makio
06-29-2007, 08:32 AM
As a would-be first time D*con visitor... I've got a couple of questions.

1) I stupidly have procrastinated on getting admission... so now I'm stuck with either paying $70 before 7/13/07 or the full $85 if I continue the neglect. Either way, I'm wondering if it's possible to pick up my con-badge on Thursday, August 30th(the day before the convention)or some way earlier?

2) Obviously this is a huge convention, lot of attendees, guests, hotel patrons, etc... but are there any large open, air-conditioned hallways or areas/cafe zones to stop and take a break? It's still summer afterall when D*con occurs, and the less humidity I have to deal with, the better!

3) How's the masquerade/costume contest? Worth entering, watching or just skipping altogether(and thus adding to more party time)?

4) In addition to the above... after reading the D*con page (http://www.dragoncon.org/con_masquerade.php) about it, there's:
(a) A lot of people that also attend the masquerade... so it's something I'd have to line up early to watch/participate in?
(b) It's an integrated costume & cosplay skit contest?

5) Any D*con hosted panels to personally recommend?

fightstar
06-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Seems like I have started some thinking around here. Still need to write about what to do during and after the con, but more on that later. I'm glad everyone is dropping there thoughts on this one. 60+ days to go so stay fit!

The Kraken
06-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Makio, some answers for ya...

1. You can pick up your badge starting at 4 PM on Thursday.

2. There are places to sit down and relax. If you're in the Hyatt, head underground. If you're in the Marriott... go anywhere but the main lobby. Not a whole lot goes on in there after dark.

3. I personally can't stand the masquerade. It's incredibly lame and annoying and takes WAYYYY too long. If I want to see great costumes, I can see them out and about. I don't recommend going to it.

4. If you DO decide to go, then line up EARLY. This is part of why it's so annoying, too. It takes away from the other good times you could be having. Like, several hours of it. It IS an integrated skit/costume contest. The skits are usually really lame.

5. I don't go to panels often, if ever, so I wouldn't be the one to ask about that.

Monicator
06-29-2007, 06:49 PM
3. I personally can't stand the masquerade. It's incredibly lame and annoying and takes WAYYYY too long. If I want to see great costumes, I can see them out and about. I don't recommend going to it.

4. If you DO decide to go, then line up EARLY. This is part of why it's so annoying, too. It takes away from the other good times you could be having. Like, several hours of it. It IS an integrated skit/costume contest. The skits are usually really lame.

Yeah, I dont go to masquerades eaither and plus I think you can catch a video of it so you can always have a chance to see it. I do the hallways costume contests. Last year I won ^^

vampirate
06-29-2007, 08:36 PM
MakioTwist: About the Masquerade, just watch it from your hotel room. Host hotels get D*Con TV streamed in. Then you can watch it while wearing your pajamas drinking in your room with your buddies.

fightstar
06-29-2007, 09:37 PM
MakioTwist: About the Masquerade, just watch it from your hotel room. Host hotels get D*Con TV streamed in. Then you can watch it while wearing your pajamas drinking in your room with your buddies.

...and don't forget you can go all 'Science Mystery Theater 3000' on the whole thing from you hotel room! LOL Every year since 2005 for me!

TechieCL
06-29-2007, 11:53 PM
I put together this all encompassing guide for a Firefly forum back when I was a fanatical Browncoat (2005) to educate the Dragon*Con newbies. A lot of the cast were slated to show. Some of the specific references are out of date, but the general information isn't. Please excuse all spelling and grammar errors. I'll probably fully update this again after this year's.

Travel, Room & Board
* Book hotels early. They go pretty quick once the convention publishes the discount codes for the convention hotels. Keep a copy of the confirmation code on you if you booked online.

* Parking. Parking garages and valet parking, while more expensive are much safer than outdoor lots.

* Most conventions are in urban or downtown areas. Just because a con is occurring and there is more police and security about doesn't mean you should let your guard down. Always be aware of your surroundings.

* Know how much gas money you need to get home, then keep that money separate from your spending money. Hotel safes are a good place for that. Nothing is worse than realizing you have to sell back goods you've bought to get home.

* If your flying to the con, always have photocopies of your travel documents and ID on you (especially important if going to a con in another country) just in case you loose them.

* Never buy more than you take home or afford to ship home

The Con Itself-
Always download a copy of the convention schedule if it is availabe. Also, get a copy of the schedule at the convention itself. Schedules are always subject to change. Spend some time deciding where you want to go, and develop a loose schedule for yourself.

Never carry all your money on you at once. Always have emergency money.

The Dealer's Rooms
* Dragon-Con have several areas where you can purchase merchandise: the Dealer's Room (smaller retailers), the Exhibition Room (major companies and publishers), Artist's Alley (comic creators and artists), the Art Exhibition (home of entries to the art competition, many works are available for sale as well).

* Shop smart. Make a lap of dealer's room. Often you can find the same item for sale for cheaper. Mentioning the cheaper product at another booth to the seller may get you a matching price or better.

* Haggle when appropriate. If your buying a lot of merchandise, you might be able to get a discount. But don't go to the Wizard's of the Coast booth expecting to get 25% off a single card just cause. One thing I do is observe to see if the dealer haggles with other customers.

* Don't steal. You might be tempted considering the often chaotic atmosphere, but the dealers are more savvy and experience than you think.
Apologies for this stating of the obvious to all law abiding readers.

Discussion Panels
* Show up early (depends on the popularity) to guarantee yourself a seat.

* Only ask questions when recognized by the moderators or the panelists.

* When asking a question, NO SPOILERS. You might meet some very very pissed off fans when you step out of that room.

Costumers/Cosplayers & Photography
* Costumers LIKE to be photographer and complimented on their costume;
don't be shy.

* It is polite to ask if you can take the person's picture first before doing so. Thanking them is also a common courtesy when done as well.

* Don't be offended if they say no. They may just be wanting to get to the bathroom ASAP.

* Never touch a costume or the person wearing it without permission. Costumes may be fragile, and its just rude. This includes if you are taking a picture with them. Just cause they may touch you does not mean you can touch them back (i.e. hugging poses). Yes this includes men/women in skimpy outfits. And just because they may give your permission, doesn't mean their in love with you.

* Costumers range from the skill level of poor amateurs to people with professional costuming experience in the movies, don't be an ass and ridicule a "bad" costume especially if its just a kid.

* Be mindful of other photographers.

* Take your picture or pictures (if you have a motor driven camera or 1
messeed up) and step aside.

If you are costuming
* Stay hydrated if you have a bulky and hot costume.

* You do have a right to say NO to photographers and people with roaming
hands.

* Have handlers if you have a massive or awkward costume that limits your visibility or makes walking difficult.

* For the love of god, wear costumes only for a maximum of one day. Just cause you look great in your costume doesn't mean it can't accumulate an
odor. Or at the very least change the costumes shirt, let it air out, and use Febreeze or any other air freshener on it.

* NO GLOMPING (an anime fandom term of a tackling-hug combo) anyone who does not give you permission or to anyone you don't know. It does not matter if the character you are representing glomps the character they are representing, it is dangerous to come out of nowhere and tackle/hug
someone (and bystanders) who aren't expecting it.

Health and Hygiene
* Shower and brush your teeth at least twice a day. Hats off to you if you use mouthwash and floss.

* Breath mints are great to to carry around.

* DEODORANT IS YOUR FRIEND. If its a hot day or you've been particularly active, there's no shame in refreshing your application.

* If unable to access a shower, baby powder, talcum powder, baby wipes, or wet naps are a substitute. Its better than nothing.

* Changing socks prevents blisters. Having extra pairs of shoes to wear prevents blisters.

* Eat and drink. You may not feel hungry, but the human body does not suspend its dietary needs just cause you've got the con adrenaline rush for the whole weekend. Take advantage of the many water fountains and complimentary pitchers of water. There is always some sort of food in the convention suite.

Some handy foodstuff to have on your person are-
Cereal, Granola, Protein/Energy Bars
Trail mix
Jerky
Dried Fruit (Raisins, cranberries, bannas, apple chips)
Nuts
Bottled water, sports drinks or juices

* The human body is not meant to run on just junk food and soda. Try to get some real proteins, vitamins, fruits/veggies, etc etc into your body.

* If on medication, always have it on you or accessible. Continue to take the medication as instructed.

* In event of emergency, call 911 as well as contact on premise staff

* Do not assume some called or went for the appropriate staff. ask the crowd/those around if not sure. If nobody is sure, call 911 and contact the staff.

* Only preform first aid and/or CPR if you are comfortable doing it. In certain cases one can do more harm than good. Do not worry about the law when helping most states have "Good Samaritan Laws"

* If you have no first aid or CPR knowledge or are not a friend/relative of the victim, you have no reason to hang around (unless witness to some sort of illegal activity). Give the victim and whose assisting room to work.

* If you have a cell phone, it is a smart idea to have a listing in their labeled I.C.E (in case of emergency) or EMERGENCY. The number should be to
someone who can assist emergency personnel or needs to be contacted if you are in an emergency.A paramedic or police officer or bystander can easily find that number and call it if you are incapacitated.

Partying, Booze, and the Con "Hook-up"
* The legal drinking age is 21. Do not be surprised if your under 21 and get caught for public drunkenness by a cop or security.

* Certain drugs in the world are illegal. We all know the ramifications of doing them (legal and health); those don't go away just cause your at a con.

* Getting drunk around strangers can be dangerous for women and men too.

* Party with friends and always make sure people know where you are.

* Respect hotel employees, security, and cops if they inform you your party is too loud. It is not fun bailing out friends at 4am in the morning for irritating a cop at one such party. Hotel staff does have the legal right to kick you off the premises as well.

* Hooking up at a con is not as rare as "normal" folks think. That doesn't mean you should forget about things like CONTRACEPTIVES & STD's.

* NO MEANS NO. No exceptions.

* Their is such thing as an age of consent and statutory rape laws. Those do not get suspended just cause your at a con.

And most important of all, have fun.

teranmx
07-01-2007, 11:03 AM
to makio:
aAs a would-be first time D*con visitor... I've got a couple of questions.

1) I stupidly have procrastinated on getting admission...

--Your suppose to be able to start getting badges on thur at 4pm.

2) Obviously this is a huge convention, lot of attendees, guests, hotel patrons, etc... but are there any large open, air-conditioned hallways...

-- The other person who replied is right.. the hyatt, best places are down stairs toward the parking garage areas. but there are also some good spots in the same area where the food court is... but not in the food court area.
also the Marriot has alot more open spaces. Main lobby bad.. but and down stairs con area is bad during the day.. but at night both places are empty... now the first floor up from the main lobby.. has a cafe and 4 restraunts and slot of open spaces just to sit and use the restroom and observe others from the ledge so can cosplay watch. that is also where the breezeway that connects the marriot to the food court area. They had spot there at one time for women and kids anyone wanting peace and quiet but last year that area was under construction. Dont know what it is like now. Also in the Marriot its either the 14th or 30th another floor i cant remember right now,, but there is a floor midway up the hotel that has a spot with 2 basic back drops for people to do photography.. that floor is nothgin but a resting zone. there are windows all the way around so you can view Atlanta and there are doors to walk out on the balcony area to get a better look. there are some cool spiral stair cases there too. But it is pretty much a resting area. Its another area that is dead at night. Havent been in the Hilton so can't suggest anything.

3) How's the masquerade/costume contest? Worth entering, watching or just skipping altogether(and thus adding to more party time)?
i dont go. just to long.. to many entrants... some things are good, some are funny some are stupid but that is the fun. The fun is being yourself and showing off if youve got talent and if you dont.. just being a kid. I watch it from the room to keep from long lines and hanging with friends. Dragoncon tv is suppose to be in all three main hotels this year.

5) Any D*con hosted panels to personally recommend?
__________________cant think of any. But the costuming one if your new has good tips. I go to the film festival to see what people have worked on, because im a film student. Ghost hunters group last year was funny, the wrestling was worth it just to see people get Bashed over the head with boxes of cereal, The anime cosplay one was cut to see some costumes and they have their on contest there for anime cosplay, if you want to know about web publishing.. that was a good group response and informative, ...just have to pick and choose.

SWFreak
07-02-2007, 01:30 PM
If you plan on drinking on a budget, here's a few tips:

If you intend to buy your alcohol, there is a liquor store on the NE corner of Peachtree and Baker streets. Basically walk out of the Hyatt lobby and make a right. Go to the corner (Baker St.), turn left and cross the street then turn right and you're there.

Be sure to bring a suitcase or a bag of some sort. If the hotels see you bringing in outside liquor they might try and charge you a corkage fee.

Check your stock Saturday and make sure you have enough for Sunday night as well. Liquor stores are CLOSED on Sundays in Atlanta. You'll be stuck buying your beer from the hotel at $5.00 a bottle.

You'll need a cooler in your room right? There's a small convince store at the north end of Peachtree Center Mall (the mall that connects the hotels and is also the food court) in the lower level. They have foam coolers at a decent price. They also sell water at a good price as well. This is a good time to stock up for the weekend.

Lets talk food:

Try and eat meals that would make your Mother proud. Eat your veggies, have some fruit for a snack, cut the junk food and the fat. You're in for some long days at this con. You're going to need proper nutrition in order to survive.

Keep some food in your room. Beef Jerky and granola bars are really good. some instant soup and oatmeal are also real winners. You can use the coffee pot to heat the water. You can even have cold cereal. If you have a cooler there's no reason why you can't keep milk in it...is there?

That's all the wisdom I have for now. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to add it.

Hellion
07-02-2007, 03:56 PM
My only tip is to visit the film festival room. Not for the panels themselves, but for the comfy office chairs in the classroom/auditorium.

There's usually a chair available in the afternoon when we need our second wind. If films are playing and the lights are out, it's nap time. :snoring:

The Kraken
07-02-2007, 07:05 PM
A lot of the films are good, though. I've always enjoyed the film festival, even though last year they took my money, said they would play our movie, then didn't play our movie or refund our money. Dicks. DCTV played the trailer for it all weekend though...

LilyRampant
07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Makio

A bunch of us are meeting up in the bar at the hyatt probably to watch it on TV. so feel free to filter that way and find us.

The Kraken
07-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Have fun finding each other in the Hyatt bar. After about 3 PM on Thursday, it's a madhouse for the rest of the weekend.

TheWickedOne
07-04-2007, 03:49 AM
to makio:

i don't know if anyone else posting here has ever entered the masq ball, but i have. heed this warning.

IT IS INCREDIBLY TIME CONSUMING!

you'll have to take some time to register for the ball, that's a half hour to an hour to fill out the paper work and write up a good costume description for yourself.
when the time comes, you'll have to show up early and wait to be assigned a 'den mother' with 9 other costume groups. then you'll be led to the backstage area of the ball.
backstage, you'll have to wait even longer, because the kids always go on first. then, the emcee will gear the crowd up for the older cosplayers. at this point the 'den mothers' will start corralling their cos groups towards the stage entrance.
so depending on how soon you showed up, you'll have to wait longer, especially if other have written long intros for themselves. at this point, the kids have been off stage and are getting antsy. they'll start running and horseplaying.
at some point you'll reach the best part of the ball, you'll have your picture taken by a professional photographer.
finally, you'll get the chance to get on stage. if you are remotely nervous, and it shows, and the crowd sees it or the crowd doesn't like your skit, or understand it... then they'll boo.
when the crowd boos, the worst thing on earth will happen. the start troopers will come out and usher you off stage, whether you're done or not, this happened to a good cosplay friend of ours, and she and her friends had worked up a great kill bill skit. that was in 2005, then the next year when they showed the attendance rules short film for the masq ball, they showed that same group being bullied offstage by the stormtroopers, my heart goes out to them.
after that, you'll have to wait for the ball to end. then wait even longer through the awards. but it's not over yet, flash photography is discouraged during this event. so everyone will wait for the 'photo gauntlet' where you'll wait in a long line to be brought out and your photo taken by all the ball attendees.

after all is said and done, you'll have spent all night there and probably missed some seriously cool stuff. please learn from my one time mistake.

Photorusse
07-05-2007, 03:00 PM
All have posted wise and sage advice. I would agree that the costume contests and such are getting too crowded and it is much easier to watch them from your room. It gives you a chance to put your feet up and eat something.

Alcohol: Last year, we brought lots of alcohol and the Hilton staff gave us gold medal service. The year before, we were in the Hyatt. Those bastards tried to tell us that we had to pay a dollar a bottle corkage fee. We just left the stuff in the truck and went back later with duffle bags to retrieve it. They follow you to your car, but they don't dare hover over you. just hunch together side by side at the trunk and stuff away. We're back at the Marriott this year, so we'll see what they change into this year. Might have to call them this week.....

Food: EAT! Actually, know your body. If you are the type of person who gets raging headaches when their blood sugar drops, then EAT SOMETHING. Don't try to be cool and tough it out to impress somebody. Noone will ever fault you for taking the time to eat. Hydrate!!! Drink water....yes, water. Coke all weekend will make you sick.

HAVE FUN!! Pick your battles. Don't try to see everything or you'll find yourself running around in a hurry to get here and there and you'll quickly find that you've spent all your time running around and actually never saw anything. I always pick my guests to get an autograph from and if the line is insane, then I have to decide if it's worth it to wait 2 hours to pay 25 dollars (or more).....

MEET PEOPLE!! Talk to people. There are so many fascinating people running all over the place that you're bound to find many like minded individuals.

ok. I'm outta time but I hope it helps....

ItsNotEasy
07-17-2007, 11:55 PM
whats the website for dragon*con, i was thinking me and a friend might go there this year in our first costumes(transformers)

The Kraken
07-18-2007, 02:42 AM
www.dragoncon.org

vampirate
07-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Has anyone said crazy things like band-aids yet? Not all of us always do smart things and break in costume shoes before the con, and blisters can suck. Biut in general try and not be too harsh on your feet. You'll be doing a lot of walking.

For any girls in costumes showing leg, invest in some pantyhose. I think it's No Nonsense that makes the cheap sheer ones. It'll help make you feel a bit more covered and you'll be happy you did it when you see your pictures.

And watch out for your fellow con attendee. Such as, if you find someone passed out in a bathroom(which I have found at D*Con before) check to see that they're okay and not like drowning in their own vomit or something nasty.

Dany
07-31-2007, 10:24 PM
A suggestion to anyone staying in the big hotels, especially the Hyatt:

BRING EARPLUGS FOR SLEEPING.

The hotel lobbies churn a continuous amount of noise that echoes up into the internal atriums at ALL hours of the day. You can hear this noise even through a closed door. If you are a light sleeper, earplugs will drown down that noise significantly so you can get your rest.

It can also help if you have people in the room that are going to be moving around when you're trying to sleep.

sakura-chan87
08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Uchiha Sakura's Ultimate Guide for Surviving Dragon*Con:

1. Pre-register. It's a bit late past the early registration date, which sucks but get there early on THURSDAY and you might be able to get a good spot in line to buy your weekend badge at the door for $85 bucks.

2. Bring your buddies, split the hotel costs. Dragon*Con is a MASSIVE convention. We're talking about TWICE the size of Otakon and about HALF the size of Comic-con. Not small. Nope. ^_~ More people crammed into a room means less space, yeah, but cheaper hotel rates for you all for the entire weekend. Which is GOOD. XD

3. BRING FOOD FROM HOME!!! LOTS of it. Food doesn't come cheap downtown and of course since about 40-50,000 people attend this convention every year, you're going to have lines to think about. Lots of them. Be prepared and pack along stuff that can be tossed into a mini-fridge for later munching. ^_~

4. PERSONAL HYGIENE. It's a HUMAN necessity. (Don't get smart with me by saying you're costuming as an alien or some other non-human form. I'll slice your costume off with my lightsaber to prove my point.) XD Take care of yourself so you don't bother other people. You need to be considerate of others, because we're all packed into two hotels. Please, be nice. ^_^;

5. DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!! Again, lots of people means lots of body heat. Dehydration plus a heavy costume and prop equals BAAAAAAAAADDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be a medical ninja but I CAN'T administer to EVERY LIVING PERSON at the convention! Grab water bottles from home, or get yourself a handy one from a sporting good store. They're cheap and easy to refill. Stay hydrated so you can have more fun. ^_~

6. STEER CLEAR OF THE KLING-ONS. XDDD They're ugly, scary and DOWNRIGHT MEAN. Just, keep you and your friends safe and don't add gasoline to an already raging fire. :D

7. DO NOT MESS WITH JEDI and their spiffy lightsabers. If you're not a Force-trained warrior, don't try to show off with puny lightsaber tricks. You look like an idiot, just so you know. ^_~
(*falls off her chair laughing*)
We take our jobs seriously people. Protecting the universe ain't easy when we've got half of society waving blades around, smacking others around us in the face trying to look cool.

Just...watch yourself. (I've got the death sentence on TWELVE SYSTEMS!) XDD (Okay, not really. Just the entire Sith population wanting my blood...no biggie, right? LOL!)

8. If this is your FIRST Dragon*Con, come and find me. I will be happy to errm...give you a warm welcome to the nerdiest but AWESOMEST Sci-fi convention on the East Coast! XD

9. COME CHECK OUT THE MASQUERADE this year to see the Ultimate showdown between Good VS Evil. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. ^_~

10. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU. ;)

(*haha okay, major nerdtastic moment there. But still. lol!*)

Reatrea
08-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Also!

If you plan on wearing heels the whole time. I.E. your costume requires it. It might be a good idea to find some flats or much smaller heels that will work with your costume as well. You'll be walking around practically the whole time and your feet will HURT! and that can really put a damper on things.

The Kraken
08-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Also, if you have a large costume or something with elements that affect your vision, bring a handler when you go out. The Hyatt lobby and the sub levels get CROWDED like you wouldn't believe. You don't want to be "that guy (or girl)". Ya know, the one that walks through and accidentally pokes or hits people with their costume. I accidentally hit someone with a pole I was carrying on an escalator in '05 and I felt terrible about it.

Cynthia
08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Shameless Plug:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/263482/newbies_guide_to_dragoncon_in_atlanta.html

DalaiLiam
08-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Some other notes... (Or opinions or personal beliefs/experiences actually)

Bottled water not so necessary. Hydration is. They have water stations on every floor(usually 2 or 3 of them) in every building, rule of thumb for us is every other station take a quarter to half a cup. This is GA, you will sweat your nuts(or respective genitalia) off outside, even if it is just crossing between buildings. Especially in costume. Especially after rain.

Tactical gear is good. probably 15-20% of the crowd will be wearing it at some point during the con too. If you don't have that, bring an empty backpack.(Both my camera bag and backpack were loaded last year) As you walk around, you WILL accumulate stuff. Usually without even meaning to. What kind of stuff... well... just stuff. Even without hitting the dealer's room and going to tons of panels, You'll still wind up with fliers, swag, and sometimes a prize or two from random events or room parties.

As for food to bring, It's become a tradition for me to bring a baguette. There's just something about a 2 foot long stick of French bread. It's pretty filling, and will last you alone 3 days of snacking. For some reason people in elevators like to eat your baguette. Don't ask.

If you want air-conditioned seating, Unless you wait, there most likely will not be any seating available at any bar, rest area, lobby, or shop. HOWEVER, there is ALWAYS room in the Hall of Virgins(gaming room). Gamers tend to sit as far away from the doors as possible(which is also as far away from the watering stations as possible) meaning you have a large space to buffer the funk.

When thirsty, DO NOT drink from the camel back of someone you just met no matter how nice they are, it is more than likely booze. I like Whiskey and have a pretty remarkable tolerance. I still puke when I'm really thirsty an expect water, only to be greeted with a few frantic gulps and the burn of Jack Daniels.

Lastly, Always bring a towel. I don't think that needs an explanation.

ArcherJP
09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Another tip: The ConSuite. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this year, but the second floor of the Hyatt always had people hanging out. Why? FOOD.

I'm not 100% positive, but it seemed that according to my roomies, the food was free. Doughnuts and fruit in the morning, basic sammiches like PB&J in the afternoon. Energy drinks seemed to be donated to the suite, too - mainly Freak, but I think Red Bull was around on either Thursday or Friday.

Try to make sure your costume has places to put things. >.< I made the dumb mistake of wandering around friday with no purse. Granted, I had *someplace* to put a few essentials, but the next day I carried a purse and kept it - even though it didn't 'go' with everything. Next year, I'll be thinking ahead and having something I can use to carry stuff.

Amazingly, I barely touched the food I brought from home. O.O Then again, I was too nervous to eat, and to top it off, I was in a corset every day. So that didn't help. Still - bringing stuff from home is a GOOD thing.

The Days Inn has rooms with fridges. I think the Marriott does, too. Not positive. The Hyatt does NOT. Never stayed at the Hilton, so not sure there. If you can book a room with a fridge, USE IT. Leftovers are your friend. Can't stress that enough. Why pay if you can just polish off what you had the day before? BUT - do NOT do this if you don't have a fridge or don't make use of said fridge. You really... really... REALLY don't want to be sick at the con.

Shameless Plug: Go see Cruxshadows, too. (yeah, yeah, I'm a Cruxshadows fairie. :-P)

But seriously - febreeze, safety pins, food, and some non-costume clothing (you're going to be happy you brought it if you end up using it). Make use of official freebies, especially when it comes to food and drink. YAY Freebies!!!

Also - make sure that your costume doesn't drag on the ground. >.< Even if its supposed to in such-and-such game, or yadda-yadda movie. Those people are professionals on a set. You're not. People don't pay attention, and the last thing you want is to hear your precious costume rip because someone didn't see the three yards of fabric you were trailing -- or the two inches of fabric that just happened to be in the way.

Oh yeah! And... HAVE FUN! That's just about the most important thing, no?

Reatrea
06-23-2008, 10:18 PM
For those of you flying in;

I suggest putting your first day's costume (even the second if it will fit) in your carry on. Nothing is worse that missing out on a cosplay due to lost luggage!!

LilyRampant
06-23-2008, 11:18 PM
dont forget Duct tape and electrical tape. its a fabulous fix when glue just wont work.. or if you tear your pvc, leather etc

Xavietta
06-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I like this thread ^^ even though it's from last year lol This will be my first D*C and all the suggestions helped a lot :)

bobbarker31
06-24-2008, 06:22 AM
I like this thread ^^ even though it's from last year lol This will be my first D*C and all the suggestions helped a lot :)

Prepare like you are going to war. Officially there is supposed to be 40,000 con goers, but unoffically it is something like 70,000. You can't be prepared for everything. I'll ruin you with anime cons. You won't want to come back. :p

isamu85
06-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Also don't forget to bring cash! And I mean alot! For aquiring it later is going to be a challenge

Queen Anime 99
06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Stuff to bring:

1. Headache medication, stomach medication, sanitary pads/tampons, must-have medication, etc.

2. Cell phone, keys, Dragon*Con card thingie (the yellow card you get in the mail), I.D. card (military, driver's license, etc.), money, etc.

3. Small, portable, battery-operated fan that squirts water. :D (You can get these from dollar stores/Wal-mart)

4. gum, snacks like Teddy Grahams, apple sauce, granola bars, cereal bars, etc.

Make sure to make a list of ALL of the things you are taking. ^_^

Hiryuu
06-25-2008, 08:07 AM
This thread is awesome. You guys should compile this and make like...a hitchhiker's guide to con going

thraashman
06-25-2008, 09:20 AM
This thread is awesome. You guys should compile this and make like...a hitchhiker's guide to con going

Above all else remember this....

DON'T PANIC

Xavietta
06-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Above all else remember this....

DON'T PANIC

lol I just watched that movie xD I would totally buy a Hitchhikier's Guide to Conventions :)

DGoldDragon2k6
06-25-2008, 08:35 PM
DON'T FORGET THE SHOUT WIPES!!!! Nothing more depressing than a big stain on your costume. Also a spare disposable camera just in case your digital camera poops out when your trying to snag that illusive pic of your fave character. Better than having to beg for someone else to email a copy or post it somewhere for you. I'm glad Febreeze has been mentioned. Trust me, the smell of thousands of sweaty Geeks, Nerds, and Cosplayers is a total violation of the sinuses. (No offense to my fellow geeks, nerds, and cosplayers... well maybe for the not so considerate smelly ones.)
Also, Doctor Scholl's is your friend. Invest in some blister prevention and treatment protection. Especially those of you who are going all out with the special foot wear, ie: waraji with you shinigami uniforms for all you "Bleach"ers.

Reatrea
06-26-2008, 12:21 AM
...Also, Doctor Scholl's is your friend. Invest in some blister prevention and treatment protection. Especially those of you who are going all out with the special foot wear...

She's right! I bought mine today!
YOUR FEET WILL WILL WILL HURT! (And yet you just won't care becasue you're having too much fun!)

**Also, sign up/participate/plan for photo shoots. I personally find them the funnest thing at the Con.**

Dementia
06-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Want more advice?

http://dementia.livejournal.com

i always compile lots of tips there (Those of you who have posted, feel free to add a comment over there if I missed anything)

Xavietta
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I just thought of it:

Don't forget your costumes and props xD

I know it sounds weird but I have a friend who drove 4 hours to a convention just to realize she had all the accessories, but not the suit, of one of her costumes. I'm making a checklist of every piece of every costume I'm bringing and anything I might need for quick fixes should something go wrong :)

laizeohbeets
07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Make sure if you're wearing a heavy costume, you either have a mini fan or some cooling built in. It is HOT. I've been to D*Con in full pirate regalia and really don't recommend it. Even at night, it's pretty warm. And while yes, Georgia does tend to over-do it on the air conditioning, if you're sharing a room with thousands of other people, it's gonna get hellaciously hot. You my even want to get two showers a day if you get particularly sweaty. There is no smell quite like Eau du Pirate if he/she hasn't showered.

Here's another tip that's costume specific: If you're a straight guy or a gay girl and you see a hot Poison Ivy, do not say you're "hungry for salad," or "want a piece of bush." It's tacky, and makes the wearer uncomfortable. And please do not come up from behind and randomly fondle the Spartans. We had an incident last year where one of our Spartans got fondled without his permission. This pretty much goes for any scantily clad costume. Just because we're wearing it doesn't mean we want to get hit on/perved on/fondled. Just means we like the character.

bobbarker31
07-03-2008, 05:24 AM
A checklist is always helpful before packing your costumes. And make that checklist weeks out before you go if possible. Otherwise you can forget something critical and all your hard work goes to waste.

Last year it was mild outside in Atlanta, but you cannot count on that for this year. Plus it was absolutely HOT inside most of those hotels. You cannot have tens of thousands of people inside them and hope for the Air Conditioning to keep up. That is why I have geared most of my costumes to be light weight and comfortable this year.

A friend of mine got fondled by a girl last year (unwantedly of course). I only saw that one instance, but if you run the risk of that happening to you while getting a picture, just grab their hands... that way you know no wayward hand is going to get lost.

Eidolon Bird
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Hah! I guess being from Arizona is good for something. Even with the humidity, Atlanta is like a little springtime break compared to Arizona's monsoon season. If anything, some of the panel rooms are *too* cold for me. The only time I had problems with being "too hot" was after standing in full sun, waiting to cross the street, while wearing head-to-toe pleather/vinyl. It wasn't so much the heat that did me in, as sitting in an extremely well air-conditioned room afterward and getting chilled and clammy. That was unpleasant.

As for checklists, I have a general one I use for almost every trip for the mundane things like clothes, shoes, toothbrush/toothpaste, and so on. On top of that, each costume has its own check-list, as well as a check list for quick-fix supplies. To go for a complete overkill, the accessories for each costume have their own ziploc bag with all of the pieces that should be in that bag written on the bag (if there's more than one bag, they are labeled as 1 of 3, 2 of 3, etc. so I can be absolutely sure I have everything). It may be a bit excessive/obsessive, but I have yet to forget anything important or leave something behind after then con. (The one time I last-minute packed without the lists, I was extremely grateful to find the Marriott has a little store packed full of wonderful things such as toothbrushes and razor blades.)

feefie
07-04-2008, 02:20 PM
This is going to be me and about... 5 other friends' first time at dragoncon... this thread helps a lot :)

I have a few questions about downtown atlanta though.

Can anyone give me some tips about using the metro? like is it bad to use at night? or places to stay away from? our hotel is about 2 mi north of the main area so we will either need to drive and park or use pub transit. Any tips about parking?

Thanks a bunch!

Eidolon Bird
07-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Can anyone give me some tips about using the metro? like is it bad to use at night? or places to stay away from? our hotel is about 2 mi north of the main area so we will either need to drive and park or use pub transit. Any tips about parking?

It's like any other downtown area - it's not really dangerous unless you are stupid. Stay in groups, don't go staggering drunk through the dark on your own.

Parking is VERY expensive. MARTA stops running at 1am. If you plan on staying late for parties, it's cheaper to take the MARTA in the morning and get a cab on the way home at night than it is to pay for driving/parking.

Though only being 2 miles away, you probably won't bother with the MARTA at all.

anduin
07-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Quick question.

Wings. It must be hard to wear those when you're walking around the con. What would you guys suggest? Do you leave them on and let people clear the way or take them off put them on again when needed?

Eidolon Bird
07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Quick question.

Wings. It must be hard to wear those when you're walking around the con. What would you guys suggest? Do you leave them on and let people clear the way or take them off put them on again when needed?

D*Con tends to be very forgiving of large costumes and there are quite a few faeries running around who never take their wings off. Personally, I leave mine on all of the time (then again, my wings are fairly small as I have to be able to get them past airport security and on the plane). When going through packed crowds, I tend to hold my arms up to protect the wings and do the whole "excuse me, pardon me, wings coming through" bit. In panels, take them off or sit in the back of the room. If you have very large wings, I strongly caution against wearing them at night, especially if you plan on partying it up at the Hyatt - it gets VERY crowded and even the sturdiest wings can take a beating.

One last thing: PLEASE be aware of your wings and how much larger they make you. There's little I hate more than an faerie/angel/demon/etc. quickly turning around and/or dashing across the room, slapping me in the face or tearing up my costumes with his/her wings in the process.

laizeohbeets
07-08-2008, 03:38 AM
I did wings last year (Aziraphale from Good Omens) The only time they were truly problematic were when I was in the elevator, and even then, it wasn't too bad. If I'd been Crowley, with my huge wings, it would have been AWFUL. I did the costume on Sunday afternoon, too, so there weren't as many crowds.

laizeohbeets
07-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Last year it was mild outside in Atlanta, but you cannot count on that for this year. Plus it was absolutely HOT inside most of those hotels. You cannot have tens of thousands of people inside them and hope for the Air Conditioning to keep up. That is why I have geared most of my costumes to be light weight and comfortable this year.

A friend of mine got fondled by a girl last year (unwantedly of course). I only saw that one instance, but if you run the risk of that happening to you while getting a picture, just grab their hands... that way you know no wayward hand is going to get lost.

It wasn't a picture. The girl just came up and fondled him from behind! I mean, granted, it was Saturday night, but Jesus.

Last year was cooler, wasn't it? 2006 was pretty hot, though.

bobbarker31
07-08-2008, 05:09 AM
It wasn't a picture. The girl just came up and fondled him from behind! I mean, granted, it was Saturday night, but Jesus.

Last year was cooler, wasn't it? 2006 was pretty hot, though.

Last year was my first year. I was GREATFUL that it was as cool as it was, but I am not taking any chances this year. Most of my costumes are geared for warmer weather and comfort.

I don't think a guy could get away with groping. They would get pummled pretty quickly. There were more than a few women there that thought they had license to do whatever they felt like. Um... no... no thank you.

TheDemon2300
07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't think a guy could get away with groping. They would get pummled pretty quickly. There were more than a few women there that thought they had license to do whatever they felt like. Um... no... no thank you.

That AND there's a special group of guys roaming around called the Brute Squad, whose purpose is to protect and service. So pervs beware.

laizeohbeets
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM

That's why I said, "please no fondling the Spartans." First of all, most of them have wives. Second of all, just because they're parading around in nearly nothing doesn't give anyone license to cop a feel. If you want to cop a feel, at least ask.

I've already endured some pretty tacky stuff via my Poison Ivy costume, and I think it's unacceptable to do it to the guys as well.

DGoldDragon2k6
07-09-2008, 10:42 AM
A little add on to the whole fondling and other inappropriate behavior subject. Do not photo down a girls shirt without her permission even if she has a large amount of cleavage showing. I had some idiots who thought they were slick trying to take pics over their shoulders with cell phones last year. All they found when they put the phone down to look at it was a strategically placed middle digit. Believe me that was a polite response. Especially stupid when the subject of your voyeurism is being escorted by a very protective hubby, sig other, or just a bunch of really great guys who don't approve of your total lack of respect. :mad: Just don't do it.

bobbarker31
07-09-2008, 10:51 AM
A little add on to the whole fondling and other inappropriate behavior subject. Do not photo down a girls shirt without her permission even if she has a large amount of cleavage showing. I had some idiots who thought they were slick trying to take pics over their shoulders with cell phones last year. All they found when they put the phone down to look at it was a strategically placed middle digit. Believe me that was a polite response. Especially stupid when the subject of your voyeurism is being escorted by a very protective hubby, sig other, or just a bunch of really great guys who don't approve of your total lack of respect. :mad: Just don't do it.

It can be like any other con (though there is more drinking here out in the open). Just keep your wits about you and if you are going to drink make sure you are in a group of trusted friends so you can look out for one another. Besides, there'll be enough exhibitionists there to pull away any of that kind of attention.

thraashman
07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Yes, if you're gonna take a pic of a girl's cleavage ... remember your camera likely has a zoom function so do it from far away!

Remember though, if you do it to a friend of mine and I catch you, I'm a large guy who will gladly hurt you.

Xavietta
07-09-2008, 12:46 PM
ha! good thing I don't have cleavage O-o I'm starting to get a little worried again...drunk people fondling one another...doesn't sound like a fun convention...

bobbarker31
07-09-2008, 01:02 PM
ha! good thing I don't have cleavage O-o I'm starting to get a little worried again...drunk people fondling one another...doesn't sound like a fun convention...

Really, I barely saw any of that last year... and even then it was girls doing it to guys. Don't worry about it.

ros1908
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Like BobBarker says, it's not very common. I've never been fondled against my will, neither have I been asked permission to be fondled by a stranger. It's just good to be aware of your surroundings and know how to handle yourself if you do find yourself in an awkward situation. You might see some questionable behavior later at night, but 99% of that is consentual and mostly confined to room parties.

Eidolon Bird
07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Like BobBarker says, it's not very common. I've never been fondled against my will, neither have I been asked permission to be fondled by a stranger. It's just good to be aware of your surroundings and know how to handle yourself if you do find yourself in an awkward situation. You might see some questionable behavior later at night, but 99% of that is consentual and mostly confined to room parties.

This is so very true. I think the "worst" that's ever happened to me is being hugged twice by one of the drummers in the drum circle (after being asked, twice) and getting in a long, involved conversation about William Gibson's books based on another outfit I was wearing. Granted, I don't hang around the bars wearing nothing but caution tape, but I do like my corsets and the occassional short skirt.

Honestly, I get more unwanted attention when I dare to do something so "risqué" as walking down to the grocery store in shorts and a tank top. D*Con isn't half as wild as people make it out to be unless you are purposefully searching for the drunken partiers.

Xavietta
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
This is so very true. I think the "worst" that's ever happened to me is being hugged twice by one of the drummers in the drum circle (after being asked, twice) and getting in a long, involved conversation about William Gibson's books based on another outfit I was wearing. Granted, I don't hang around the bars wearing nothing but caution tape, but I do like my corsets and the occassional short skirt.

Honestly, I get more unwanted attention when I dare to do something so "risqué" as walking down to the grocery store in shorts and a tank top. D*Con isn't half as wild as people make it out to be unless you are purposefully searching for the drunken partiers.

That's what I like to hear! xD Thanks for the advice everyone. All I hear about is how big D*C is and how drunk and unruly the guests are...but then I think "wait, it's a convention..it's going to be filled with nerdy costume people like me" :) I am excited again (but nervous as I have quite a few costumes to finish before then...back to work I go lol)

bobbarker31
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
That's what I like to hear! xD Thanks for the advice everyone. All I hear about is how big D*C is and how drunk and unruly the guests are...but then I think "wait, it's a convention..it's going to be filled with nerdy costume people like me" :) I am excited again (but nervous as I have quite a few costumes to finish before then...back to work I go lol)

A few years ago a friend of mine passed up on going because of the "horror" stories she had heard. But she went last year (as did I) and it was undoubtedly the single best con ever. It is worth passing up other cons to go just to this one. REALLY!

Eidolon Bird
07-10-2008, 12:25 AM

Are there drunks doing stupid things at D*Con? Undoubtedly - but for the most part they keep to the room parties (and honestly, I have yet to go to any con where there's not a party going on somewhere). The bar at the Hyatt is BUSY, but I've never had anyone (guy or girl) say or do anything unwelcome while I was hanging out there.

I'm not a party girl. I will stay out until almost dawn, maybe have a drink or two with friends as the night goes on, but crazy room parties aren't my thing. I avoid the over-the-top partying and still get in plenty of costumes and guests and fans and dancing and people going, going, going all night long.

I'm right there with you on the costumes. Back to work for me!

thraashman
07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Really mostly anything risque you'll see at Dragon Con is in the room parties, and even then only when it's wanted. Granted I've seen the occasional thing in the lobby or outside in the smoking area (and gotten pics of said things). Really I've not seen anything outside of the occasional flashing, and that not until really late at night. Remember this isn't Frolicon.

Xavietta
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
BobBarker31: lol I woudn't pass up a convention for horror stories, especially this one. I know it will be epic xD

Eidolon Bird: :) you and I need to hang out :) The group I'm going with like to drink and they like to party O-o My friend assures me that our room will be the "relaxing" room with no parties, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be dragged to one anyway. I much prefer the quieter scene xD

thraashman: lol I've never even heard of Frolicon O-o It seems either people exaggerate the stories, of I hear them wrong...thanks for your input :)

thraashman
07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Frolicon takes place Easter weekend in the Atlanta area and is more of an adult con. It's supposed to be "the adult side of sci fi/fantasy" but a friend of mine describes it as "an orgy that someone brought a copy of Star Wars to". I've never been but have several friends that go each year.

Eidolon Bird
07-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Eidolon Bird: :) you and I need to hang out :) The group I'm going with like to drink and they like to party O-o My friend assures me that our room will be the "relaxing" room with no parties, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be dragged to one anyway. I much prefer the quieter scene xD

I'm all for meeting up. =D Late night I'm usually bouncing between costume photography, concerts and the drum circle. There's way too much going on to spend all my time partying (or regretting the partying the morning after, when the hangover hits).

The Kraken
07-11-2008, 07:40 PM
The gropers and gawkers drive me crazy. Yeah, there are a ton of beautiful women at Dragon*Con and some of them are wearing tiny costumes. It does NOT mean you can sneak up behind them and take a picture of their ass. First of all, that's disrespectful. Second, when you do that to my girlfriend and I catch you, it makes me want to beat you about the head and throw you in the Marriott fountain. You have to expect it, though. I mean, at least half of the people there are complete social retards and have no idea what tact is.

fightstar
07-14-2008, 10:21 AM
The gropers and gawkers drive me crazy. Yeah, there are a ton of beautiful women at Dragon*Con and some of them are wearing tiny costumes. It does NOT mean you can sneak up behind them and take a picture of their ass. First of all, that's disrespectful. Second, when you do that to my girlfriend and I catch you, it makes me want to beat you about the head and throw you in the Marriott fountain. You have to expect it, though. I mean, at least half of the people there are complete social retards and have no idea what tact is.

HEY, don't pollute the water fountains!! Seriously, The Kraken is right. You see a sexy girl or guy, just ask them for a photo. Show courtesy to your fellow human being. Smile and say, "Excuse me do you have time for a photo?" 9 times out of 10 he/she will say, "Sure". Unless they are tired or just plan beat from lack of food they will show off for you and your myspace page. So lets show some 'courtesy' people.

DGoldDragon2k6
07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Another thing that might come in handy for those of you with Dry Clean only pieces are those kits that you can get, like Dryel. Most hotels have a guest laundry service with dryers so these could really come in handy. The kits typically come with a bag that you put the clothes in along with the cleaner for spots and a cloth with the cleaner that you toss in to create the steam.
Also remember for those of you who have costumes that may require ironing, if at all possible turn the garment inside out. Especially if your costume is made of any kind of nylon, or polyester blend, because they can develop an unwanted shine. Also irons are prone to developing film over time that can leave nasty marks on your costume. I know it may sound like a little extra work, but hey it's worth it to keep our costumes looking good.

The Kraken
07-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Excellent advice, Dragon. Hadn't considered that. My Sabretooth is dry clean only! (obviously)

Blade Redwind
08-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Good advice about the iron. That or you could bring a portable steamer and just steam the garmet in the hotel room.

I love this thread. It has given me some great tips for this, although every year before has been a great one.

I love the parties, but outside of them most people are very polite. And even in the parties people don't just grope. Despite being drunk many ask before grabbing .. ect.

shasta
08-17-2008, 01:30 PM
To aviod the check list I've already packed all my extras and costume. I've been adding to my bag for like a week. Do not want to forget any major costume items.
My last con I dressed up as a klingon(no i did not buy the dark skin head piece)I made everthing from scratch Headpiece(liquid latex and peach paint)armor, and Bat'leth(its a sword of sorts)Well finally got to the Con an somewhere inbetween lost my Bat'leth. I was so bumbed I made it myself.
So I've made sure I'm well prepared this time.

12 days and counting.........

The Kraken
08-17-2008, 01:42 PM
11 days. You DON'T want to miss Thursday...

shasta
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Gibson wont let me have thursday and Friday. So Friday it was.

The Kraken
08-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Gibson? You in Nashville?

Reatrea
08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I personally have 11 days, 17 hours and 30 min until I leave.

I have to wait until after I finish my afternoon classes to go! :waaaah:

thraashman
08-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm gonna be over there Thursday around 5:00 I think to pick up my badge since it's so close. Then I'm gonna head home, go to my krav maga class, then shower and head back until late. So I'll be there Thursday night around 10:00. If anyone wants to do some partying I think I know of at least one on Thursday night. Though I don't know if it's open door or not.

shasta
08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Yea i'm @ the USA factory, I'm a Quality Control Inspector. Been there 4 years.