PDA

View Full Version : First Oni-Con...Anything I should know?

THE_Eiri_Yuki
07-01-2007, 05:48 AM
This year will be my first Oni-Con but not my first con altogether. I've been to several A-kons. Are they the same pretty much ro is there a specila something about oni I need to know??? ^^ Anything would be nice.

yamibakura03
07-01-2007, 08:25 PM
This year will be my first Oni-Con but not my first con altogether. I've been to several A-kons. Are they the same pretty much ro is there a specila something about oni I need to know??? ^^ Anything would be nice.

YA JOUNOUCHI-KUN!
Hmm i doubt I'll bring my Marik costume but Im working on Queen;s knight for this con so will see.

Oni-con is a fun convention with awesome people you'll meet. There friendtly and the place the con going to be at is Big. So expect lots of space to walk to, and its in downtown houston.
Difference of Akon and Oni-con is that Akon is known to be the biggest con in texas, of course both cons are cool. Except its less problems like cosplay and stuff at Oni-con then Akon.

their a thread similiar to this question check it out
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=114993

Technoir
07-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Bring sunglasses. The decorating, ie carpet and furniture, in the main hotel is truly OUTRAGEOUS.

Otherwise, no, there's not all that many differences. :D

THE_Eiri_Yuki
07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks! ^^

L Gackto
07-13-2007, 05:22 AM

Mine too. I just went to my first akon and now i'm trying to decide if Oni-con is worth it. I like music a lot. Any cool bands going there?

kagame_rin
07-27-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm going to Oni-Con too and it'll be my first convention. =3 I know that everyone is probably going with more than one costume, but I'm just starting a pretty elaborate one with 2 1/2 months to go, and with fitting in school also, I'll be pretty crunshed for time. I'll be there all 3 days, so I'll probably see some of you there.

I'm going as Tohru in the dress from Ayame's shop. I was in love with it from the minute I saw it in book 6.

Danzikumaru
07-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Bring sunglasses. The decorating, ie carpet and furniture, in the main hotel is truly OUTRAGEOUS.

Truly truly truly outrageous?

Anyhoo, Oni-con, to my experience, has been consistently more fun than A-kon. It's just a better atmosphere overall.

HanakoWings
08-21-2007, 03:08 AM
There's a mall two blocks away that closes at 7pm. Closed Sunday. ANd don't get on the staff's bad side. They are lovely people.

benihime
08-21-2007, 06:40 AM
houston traffic is horrible XD

other than that... nah its just like any other con. MORE SPACE! which i really like

just ah dont pack too heavy, clothes wise. last year it was BLAZING hot one day.

rikus-nobody
08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Truly truly truly outrageous?

Anyhoo, Oni-con, to my experience, has been consistently more fun than A-kon. It's just a better atmosphere overall.

*yeah, remember that fancy-tastic chandeleir in the lobby? (wow, spelling has gone out the window. Stupid French words.)

In other statements, Hi Yuki! You'll have loads of fun at Oni. And we'll finally get to meet somewhere other than AIM at 11 o clock at night. I can't wait! I like Oni better than A-Kon. It's closer to home, not as jam-packed, and the people are nice there. It also for the most part, doesn't smell as bad as A-Kon. (No idea, but all I could think about at A-Kon 18 was the Godawful smell...)

And the convention space is GINORMOUS. So make sure your shoes aren't painful. But that was mentioned.

Melodious Nocturne
09-10-2007, 09:50 PM
houston traffic is horrible XD

other than that... nah its just like any other con. MORE SPACE! which i really like

just ah dont pack too heavy, clothes wise. last year it was BLAZING hot one day.

agree, Houston traffic sucks! and yes it very hot down here, dont go walking the streets in a organization xiii trench coat like i do XDD HI ROXY!

Kuragiman
09-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Nothing can truly beat the ugliness, nay, near brain shattering gawdiness of A-kon's carpet but this convention hall scares me. Jet_Texas has been nice enough to show me photos of the George Brown and I can see I have my work cut out for me... insanely high ceilings, freaky patterend carpet and giant glass blocks that cause an array of light problems... Better bring the big gun for this one.

Any other surprises a photographer needs to know about this place?

Danzikumaru
09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Nothing can truly beat the ugliness, nay, near brain shattering gawdiness of A-kon's carpet but this convention hall scares me. Jet_Texas has been nice enough to show me photos of the George Brown and I can see I have my work cut out for me... insanely high ceilings, freaky patterend carpet and giant glass blocks that cause an array of light problems... Better bring the big gun for this one.

Other than the light being mostly awful? Nuthin'

Cat-Chans
09-11-2007, 09:29 PM
It's harder to find food within walking distance after buisness hours. Other than that it's pretty much a con. A REALLY AWSOME ONE D:<

Etsu
09-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Be sure to wander up and down the various hallways. The GRB convention center is like a maze, and I've always wound up bumping into all sorts of people while trying to find my way around.

RedeadDie
09-12-2007, 11:05 PM
A thing you should know...that Oni-con is one of the best cons around. (In my mind at least.) I should come up with more info later, but I must be off to work on my cosplay some more.