PDA

View Full Version : why do you cosplay?

Ayaka
05-17-2002, 04:57 AM
Okay so maybe it's a silly question. But what do you want from me, I'm sitting up waiting on the AX karaoke contest signups. (so . . . very . . . tired . . .) I'm curious; what motivated you to start, and what's motivating you to continue? I'm looking for something a bit more in depth than "because it's fun", but that IS a perfectly valid answer. XD

Personally I got into it because I saw people in costume, and thought it looked like fun. It was something to do at a con besides shop, go to panels and watch videos. It took me a long time to get to the wearing a costume to the con part but during that time, it evolved into more the challenge of figuring out how to do things. Mental exercise that didn't involve writing a paper, lol. Now I think it's that, plus feeling really popular and cool at cons (well it's shallow but true! I felt way less alone!), plus the fact that I like wearing stuff other than my ordinary boring clothes. In cosplay you can wear some seriously weird ensembles and get away with it. And, the short version is, it IS just plain fun. ^^ I hope it never becomes anything else, never becomes competitive in a negative way . . . or that if I start to get that way, there's someone to knock me back in line. :thumbsup:

Rosiel
05-17-2002, 11:14 AM
> what motivated you to start

Half a dozen phone calls on the day Zoisite made 'her' debut on US TVs with the following gist "Waaah! There is an animated version of you on TV! She even has the same annoying mannerisms as you! Go see!"

So when Halloween rolled around... guess what costume I made?

> and what's motivating you to continue?

I wore Zoisite (the ex-Halloween party costume) at a convention. Everyone loves it, so I wore it again. I discovered, for someone like me who is by nature asocial, having a costume was a great way to meet people. Because, lo and behold, people came to you!

*____*

I never planned to make another costume. And then I saw this other character who looked like a prettier version of Zoisite, and who wore things I had in my closet. Hence I started with the Angel Sanctuary cosplay. That's when I taught myself how to sew.

And I love a challenge. So now I continue, because I can challenge myself with ever-increasing complexity.

> I like wearing stuff other than my ordinary boring clothes

Most of the characters I cosplay wear things I would... I used to wear 18th century men's shirt/jackets back in High School! ^___^

> I hope it never becomes anything else, never becomes competitive in a negative way . . .

I have to admit I thought of quitting... because there are those in the community who like to gossip, often in mean-spirited ways, and I got tired of it. People do get overly competitive, and that is why I generally only wear my costumes for hall. Let others have the spotlight, I'm happy meeting people while walking around the cons in costume.

And, well, being in character when you have a group going can be hilarious... we took so many pictures at Katsu of "Seed and Culgan conquering Baltimore". ;)

peacecraft
05-17-2002, 11:41 AM
I just needed a creative outlet. I used to act when I was younger, but there's not much call for me to do that as an adult. Cosplay allows me to spend a lot of time happily creating something and then get the stage bug out of my system all at once. That, and its a way for me to appreciate characters I really like and often meet people I normally wouldn't at cons.

Third-child
05-17-2002, 12:26 PM
I like the attention. ;-) It is fun to have people come up and talk to you about the costume.

Also, I like freaking non -anime people out. ;-)

Duncan
05-17-2002, 12:53 PM
My mom and I always made costumes for fun, and I heard that some people dress at anime cons. So I brought my costumes with me to my first con, and I've been doing it ever since. It was weird because I'd never seen pictures of it before, because it wasn't popular like it is now. I think that was the first year FansView went online...

HuongStar
05-17-2002, 01:29 PM
I didn't cosplay at my first anime con and I had a wonderful time looking at all the costumes! My bf and I decided that at the next convention we attended, we would cosplay and that's basically how all this madness started. ^_^

I love wearing costumes because I missed out on many a Halloween as a child so I'm making up for it now.

Ranma Saotome
05-17-2002, 01:54 PM
I cosplay cuz I thought it was simply too cool.

Blade
05-17-2002, 07:14 PM
> I'm curious; what motivated you to start, and what's motivating you to continue?

I was Cosplay long before I knew it had a name. But I wasn't Cosplaying Anime at first though. But then my an old friend of mine introduced me to Anime (this was back in 1994) and I absolutely loved it! And then in 1998 I found out more about Cosplay. I didn't actually get into it till about last year, because the year before from another friend of my I had found out that she was in a Cosplay group. She showed me pictures of their costumes and told me about AX and about the masquerade... It was all REALLY fasinating. So in 2001 I went to my first convention. I loved it beyond words can tell. I took MILLIONS of pictures (literally) of a bunch of people I never knew exsisted, though I refused to let any one take my picture. ^_^;;; (Which reminds me I still have film to develop from last year! @.@)
Everything about Cosplaying excites me - from making the costumes to taking pictures of other people's costumes and meeting new people to buying and seeing more Anime. The interaction, the attention, the excitment, the thrill of being at a place with hundreds of people just like me! Otaku paradise it was and still is to me! I could ramble on and on about it for hours, but I wouldn't want to waste any more of your time! ^-^;

---{@ Lady Blade

Babbit_Chan
05-17-2002, 09:25 PM
I liked it in that it was another way to show anime pride for the characters I love ^^

Kenshin Ken
05-18-2002, 02:19 AM
Funny, I was pretty much force fed into cosplay ^^;

Here's my story..^^; ( it's sorta long)
I was at my school's so called " anime Club" which consisted of 2 selfish, shoujo/yoai addicted girls.. ( not the attractive type as you can imagine ^^; ) a few members...which happen to be girls that like talking to the presidents.. and then there's me..^^; the only GUY in the club that wonders if there's anything that'll happen that's really a culb activity.. that's worthwhile of his time.
Here comes the Cherry Blossom festival, and I was looking over the flierfor the anime cosplay parade during one of the meetings.. out of a scarcastic tone, I said " heh.. I'd probalby do Kuno for that" they paid no mind to it.. so I shrugged it off.

Now comes the Cherry Blossom Festival.. I show up at the festival.. and the presidents show up.. telling me I should enter the cospaly parade.. for the " good" of the club they said ^^;; I said " hey..you DO know I ment that thing as a joke right?? ^^:; " unfortunatley by the time I said that. .they both grabbed my arms and dragged me into the clothing shop ^^;; I of course tired to escape.. but that didn't happen ^^;; their grip was pretty strong.

Next thing ya know.. I'm altering my costume..^^; it was a pretty interisting experiance. I already knew how to sew.. a little anyway.. ^^; so I got into cosplay a bit more... and when it came time for the parade, I actualyl had a bit of fun ^_^. Everyone else was wearing some interisting costumes themselves.. and that encouraged me to become a even better cosplayer ^^. Not to mention that everyone I met was pretty cool ^^.

Why do I continue cosplaying.. well ^^ I love the attention.. I get to meet new people much easier this way. Plus it's always a interisting task when it comes to actualyl making the costume ^^. how you make your own costume from your imagination.. and from your own hands feels pretty satisfying.

Celine
05-18-2002, 05:59 AM
Like other people here, I love the attention! Of course, since I generally do very random and obscure characters, I work against getting the attention. But for those five people who recognize me, it is SO worth it!!!! Fangirls frighten me, honestly (since I've been attacked by them, but I'm sure they aren't really bad people ^^).

The reason I cosplay is because I enjoy dressing up. I shop at vintage stores normally, and wear whatever seems like fun! I really enjoy wearing the outlandish outfits that you only see in cartoons! The challenge of making these outfits real is also sorta fun... and totally frustrating!!

Ayaka
05-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Wow, lot of interesting replies. ^^

I only wear boring clothes cause I can't ever seem to get up the confidence to be really out there, which I think I would be otherwise. Cosplay lets out my inner weirdo, I guess, lol.

I don't feel so bad about the liking attention now! lol I'm not the only one. Although yeah, the fangirl who tackled me (from behind!) when I was dressed as Youji really scared me . . . oO;;;

Poor KenKen, I think you were more than "pretty much forcefed" into cosplay! lol! But it ended well anyway. ^^

Kenshin Ken
05-18-2002, 08:12 PM
aah ^^; but I always have my prefferiances to cosplay... I will not.. and absolutley.. NEVER crossplay or wear anything that's mainly pink ^^;; << * he's got some manly issues lol *

Ayaka
05-18-2002, 08:45 PM
I shy away from pink, too, lol. << wonders what kind of issues SHE has then

Adella
05-18-2002, 09:52 PM
I love pink!!!

i started cosplaying because well.. I had NO idea what cosplay was. I wanted to go to AX 99 with my friend gary and he ditched me. So I didn't get to go. I swore that next year I'd go to it.

So AX 2000 rolld around and I needed a character to cosplay. My friends in highschool nicknamed me Aeris (they called her Aries because JON couldn't PRONOUNCE the name) so I decided that would be fitting. I made the costume adn it turned out really good.

As selfish and conceited as this sounds.. I really loved the attention! I had so much fun make believing I was Aeris in a big city selling flowers. That forever hooked me on making costumes. Plus I'm a heavy role player and into LARPing so I really had fun with that too.

Aeris

Philia Philis
05-19-2002, 03:39 AM
Hmm..... Well, I gotta admit something first.... I used to not like cosplayers. It's true, it's true! *ashamed* Until I saw them IN PERSON at A-kon '99. I was all like "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, they're so cool! I wish I had a camera!" And so I started cosplaying at the very next con I went to. Hehe. ^^;
And I like the attention, yes. Who doesn't? ^^; And I met all of my current friends through cosplaying, too!
So far, I have only done obscure/semi-obscure characters I had never seen done before because I like to be original. XD It's always such a pleasant surprise when someone actually knows who I am. Heehee.

Rosiel
05-19-2002, 09:10 AM
> So far, I have only done obscure/semi-obscure characters I had never seen done before because I like to be original.

I tend to do the same... maybe not always /obscure/ but generally rarely cosplayed. I tend to pick a costume with "what character would I like to see" then narrowing it down with "which one looks like me".

In some cases, like Seed, scrapping the "which one looks like me" in favour of "which one would I not look too stupid cosplaying". LOL

Lovelyangel_81
05-19-2002, 06:42 PM
I love to cosplay because it fun to dress as or be your favorite anime character(s). and for random people to come up to you (who don't know "who you are or your name") and want to take your picture. It's a very awesome feeling. It makes you feel important.

Adella
05-20-2002, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Philia Philis
Hmm..... Well, I gotta admit something first.... I used to not like cosplayers. It's true, it's true! *ashamed* Until I saw them IN PERSON at A-kon '99. I was all like "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, they're so cool! I wish I had a camera!" And so I started cosplaying at the very next con I went to. Hehe. ^^;
And I like the attention, yes. Who doesn't? ^^; And I met all of my current friends through cosplaying, too!
So far, I have only done obscure/semi-obscure characters I had never seen done before because I like to be original. XD It's always such a pleasant surprise when someone actually knows who I am. Heehee.

I think I'm kinda unoriginal lol with my char. she's very popular. My thing is to do a popular character and do it VERY VERY GOOD. :o

Philia Philis
05-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Well, Aeris has been cosplayed a lot, but yours is like so incredibly PERFECT. You look just like her! So cool! ^___^ *cries that she has yet to see Aeris's perfect Aeris costume in person*

Kuja
05-20-2002, 05:31 PM
In some ways I cosplay to hide my shyness. I am very shy person if you ever meet me in person. When I am in total street clothing. In costume I put on a totally different image. That and I started cosplaying with some friends. We went to Anime Expo for the first time and we decided we had to make a costume.

Jibrille
05-20-2002, 08:00 PM
I cosplay... well, i can blame my friends for getting me started, it looked so fun and i ended up helping most of them with theirs and thought 'wow, i can do this' and so i did.
Its a great way to vent out my creativity in self directed projects as opposed to art projects i get in my classes. more fun to do what i want.
and i love when people want to take my picture and ask me 'how did you make that' and i get to explain. i like the feeling of knowing what i'm talking about. lol ^^;

Xion
05-20-2002, 11:03 PM
Why do I cosplay? Hmm...well, I saw cosplayers on websites, and got insanely jealous (*extremely* typical of me, I will admit I get very easily jealous), which motivated me to start getting into it. And well...here I am today, just some cosplayer wannabe hoping to become something more ^^;;

Ayaka
05-21-2002, 12:01 AM
I don't think there is such a thing as a wannabe cosplayer; as soon as you've finished one costume and worn it to a con (or party or something), you're a cosplayer. Before that, I guess you're a cosplayer in training. Of course, I WOULD say that, since I'm a beginner, lol. More experienced people can back me up or call me "baka!" and bonk me on the head . . . XD

Lillyxandra
05-21-2002, 02:12 AM
I guess im a cosplayer in training ^_~ I also though cosplaying was kind of a weird thing to do untill I went to a-kon 2001. When I saw how much fun the cosplayer were having and how awesome the costumes were in person I was determined to make my own costume this year! So I bought myself a sewing machine and taught my self how to sew. Now Im done with my sisters and my costume and ready for a-kon again! heh I think Im already addicted to cosplaying, we are already planing next years costumes^_^

Lilly

Xion
05-21-2002, 01:48 PM
> I don't think there is such a thing as a wannabe cosplayer; as soon as you've finished one costume and worn it to a con (or party or something), you're a cosplayer. Before that, I guess you're a cosplayer in training.

Hmm, then I must be a cosplayer in training...oh well...I'm just starting out, ne?

Tenshi
05-22-2002, 12:43 AM
Halloween has always been my favorite holiday of the year, and dress-up was my favorite pastime as a kid. Plus, my grandmother is an expert seamstress and also put crazy costumes together for Halloween back when my dad was a kid. You could see for miles around that I was going to turn out a cosplayer :P.

I'm also very quiet and shy when I'm "normally" clothed, but I'm a natural performer, and always seeking the spotlight. For a long time my performance outlet was music, but cosplay has become equal, if not greater, in the amount of time I lavish on it XD. Even when I used to dream about starting a band, I'd spend more time planning what we'd wear on stage than writing music or lyrics! :D

Mei Lan Chang
05-26-2002, 11:32 PM
I suppose I started cosplaying because I wanted to be something more than just lil' ol me. Now don't get me wrong, I love the everyday me, which is Phoebe, but I LOVE even more to be the crazy cosplayer that is Mei Lan Chang. Cosplay is a creative way to be something that you admire whenever you slip into your costume. I guess it's just my nature to be more than the average nerd sometimes! ^_^

Medellia
05-27-2002, 02:02 PM
My bestfriend got me into cosplay. Apparently she found a someone's cosplay site and decided that this is what we were meant to do with our lives ^_~ We had a total blast at Baka Con '99! And how can you not? You have people coming up to you, asking to take your picture, and telling you how cute you look! Not many can resist that.

Plus, the creation process is as rewarding as being admired. It's a lot of hard work! I mean, how do you get your hair to defy gravity, your legs to become twice as long as your body, and your boobs to have the "Cantalope smuggler" effect?? And all without having the faintest idea of what you're doing ^_~

It's also fun to try and explain your hobby to the uninitiated *snickers* I don't think my coworkers will ever see me the same way again *josemo laugh*

Tenshi
05-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Explaining to the non-cosplayers is always fun XD. When my coworkers saw my Halloween pictures, their jaws hit the floor (score one for Tenshi!). When my mom sees me in the office with some new fabric, she just shakes her head and walks out of the room. She also usually says something about "not making the skirt too short this time" :D

But I think I'm getting off topic. Eep ^^;;.

Asuka Langley
05-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Hm... I don't know why, probably because i also like some attention ^^' (who doesn't, even a little bit? ^^). My first costume was prepared a week before my first convention here in Brazil, AnimeCon. I notested that i had a dress just like Asuka's (that yellow dress of hers), so I couldn't miss that chance! ^^ Certainly, it wasn't my best cosplay, of course, you can't prepare all things you need in such a short time... u_u' but anyway, photos estimulated me to continue doing this ^__^

Next year, i was doing Yukino Miyazawa, from KareKano. Mom first thought i was going crazy about this hole anime thing, but then she realized... i AM crazy ^__^' so, she gave me all support and loved when the costume was ready!

This year, i'm making my Sumire Kanzaki costume (from Sakura Wars) - a purple kimono - that my obatchan loved when i first asked her to do the kimono ^__^ It is now ready and waiting for AnimeCon.

Basically, it is really fun to "be" a character that you like, and also receive a lot of attention and compliments ^^
It is worth the hard time to make ^^

-Asuka

Nadeshiko
05-27-2002, 09:41 PM
Okay this is my first post over here....^^;;

It started at AX98. I was really in awe of all the costumes. My parents were with me at the time. They didn't want me to cosplay then. Even wearing my red Chinese dress they wouldn't let me wear. Then came AX99. My parents were very conservative about dressing up again. I went as original charas from my radio dramas that year. Finally, I convinced them that I seriously wanted to cosplay. The reason why they wouldn't let me before is because the skimpy cosplayers scared them off. So I started at AniMagic 2000 w/ Hotaru Tomoe.

Pretty much, it's all for fun. It's something I enjoy doing. I love the pictures and attention I get. *^^* Who doesn't? ^^ Yeah, so here I am today, nya. ^^v