PDA

View Full Version : Photo Tutorial/Experiment: Motions Oil Sheen Spray

phantomthief
07-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Okay, so I've heard about this Motions Oil Sheen stuff all over the boards, but 70% of it is "I heard it works well".

What I've heard: It works for detangling. It give hair a more realistic texture. It dries without a trace. It helps prevent tangling. It tames super long wigs.

Sounds like a miracle in a spray. Well, I figured this required some good ol' fashioned experimentation. And since I'd feel a bunch more comfortable if someone had written up something semi detailed about the stuff before I let it loose on my $60 wig, I took pictures and notes for you all to check out for yourselves.

Materials and costs:
Wig Head ($3 at Sally's)
Wig- 48" Amanda ($60, now $50 at cosworx.com)
Assorted combs (... Cheap)
Motions Oil Sheen spray ($3.25)
Patience (or Devil May Cry 3- $20)

Let's start with the basics.
I pinned my lovely but horribly unruly Amanda to a wig head. When a wig is THAT long, you're going to have problems.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1173755
(It may not look like it, but that sucker goes down to my KNEES)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/MotionsTutorial/Motions1.jpg

And this is the Oil Sheen Stuff. Found in the Ethnic hair care section of my PX. (WalMart or haircare places should carry it)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/MotionsTutorial/Motions.jpg

This is the close-up of the fiber. Notice that the wig is pretty much detangled. I'll talk about that later.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/MotionsTutorial/Motions3.jpg

Now, I was being cautious and the bottom is the only portion I have problems with, so I only sprayed the bottom half of the wig. (And I sprayed it liberally!)
I will take this moment to say that this stuff smells GREAT. I didn't notice at first (I was expecting some horrid hairspray smell) but it smells like strawberry PEZ! I love it! It's barely noticable too! Not overpowering at all :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/MotionsTutorial/Motions4.jpg

Now, this is what it looked like after I was done spraying. I was a little freaked out since it did, in fact, look stringy and kinda gross.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/MotionsTutorial/Motions6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/MotionsTutorial/Motions7.jpg

I let it sit for about 8 hours and came back. Still freaked out since it looked stringy. I remembered someone saying to let it sit for 24 hours. I let it sit for 48 just in case.
Well, I came back and my wig was, thankfully fine :) I gave it a quick comb-down and, as a test, I tried it on and walked around. I put it back on the head and smoothed it just a little and this is what it looked like ^___^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/MotionsTutorial/Motions001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/MotionsTutorial/Motions004.jpg

My findings...

The fiber IS less prone to tangling
The fiber combs more easily
I can see no physical changes to the wig fiber. It looks the same as before I sprayed it.
It leaves a very light, barely noticable scent that is very pleasant. Like I said, strawberry PEZ. (Fruity sweet)
The fiber itself feels a little oily to the touch, but it doesn't come off on my hands.

And Notes before you start

The wig needs a low traffic area to hang freely (especially if it's very long)
It DOES take a while to dry
Set down some newspaper or do the spraying outside since there will likely be a little oily overspray
The spraying will tangle the wig very slightly
Fibers are easier to detangle afterwards, but this is more for upkeep than a straight on detangler.

Alternatives!

Mane 'n Tail/Show Sheen for horses seems to work nicely and is silicone-based rather than the Motions natural oil base. I think it's ricier, but if you keep show horses... X3

Courtesy ChilmarkGryphon, 3 IN 1 Silicone Spray Lubricant (from a hardware store) seems to work wonders for detangling. Notes are here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=185958

Any questions or comments? ^.~ Overall this has really helped keep my Amanda managable :) Hope it helps!

~Ari-chan

Annie-Mei
07-11-2007, 12:38 AM
i've used the motions oil sheen spray and i love it. it works wonders on long wigs, and also detangled a wig of mines htat seemed to be the tangles from hell.

and yes, it smells pretty good too

starcat
07-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Wow. This is fantastic. I now know exactly what to look for --and I'm even more thrilled the product can be found at a PX. :D No sales tax, hurrah! Thank you!

Kikyana
07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Hmm... If it makes the hair really stringy when sprayed is it possible to spray it on a tangled wig, and trying to detangle it while it's still wet? Would that make it any easier to detangle?

chisainekocat
07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
All hail oil sheen! =D The Amanda wig looks fantastic.

Kikyana--It does make the job easier because the fibers are much more slippery, but you still have to be patient with your comb and untangle the fibers individually, depending on how bad the damage is. Now, it's not going to save a wig that's turned into a gigantic matted hairball, but it helped when I saved my friend's wig after she over brushed it and tossed it onto the floor several times -_-;.

Definitely note the part letting the wig dry for at least a day. If you have a tangled wig during a convention, don't spray too much and work with it the best you can, unless you want to walk around with an oily wig the whole time. After the con you can just spray to whole can in if you wish. I'm not sure if blowdrying with oil sheen would help or hurt the wig.

Oil sheen is also safe for dyed wigs! The dye may still rub off a little, but it doesn't take out as much as hairspray does.

Narno
07-11-2007, 03:33 PM
This stuff is a lifesaver. It should be required with the purchase of any godiva wig. It is also really helpful to treat the wig with this stuff before doing any major styling. It cuts back on a lot of tangling and keeps things smooth and even.

My favorite part about it is using it on the underneath top of the wig (at the base of the neck). It stops the underneath from tangling when you move your neck during the day.

Kikyana
07-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Chisainekocat -- Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to try and find this stuff this weekend.

Are there other brands of it I should look out for in case the store I go to doesn't have this particular one?

vasher
07-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Actually, I've had wonderful results with 'Show Sheen' and 'Mane and Tail Detangler'- both silicon based detanglers, so you won't get any oiliness afterwards. It dries in about 30 sec and makes whatever you spritz it on super slick. Um, also, try not to spray it over any hardwood floors. The are under my wig was dangerously slippery for a bout a week. >.>;

chisainekocat
07-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Hmm, I would like to give that a try! About how much do they cost?

phantomthief
07-12-2007, 02:09 AM
The decreased oiliness would definately be a plus :3

~Ari-chan

Ani_BEE
07-12-2007, 10:11 AM
When I came back from Anime North this year my Punky XL (seen in icon) was a total rats nest in that back from rubbing on the hood all weekend. It’s the first time I’ve had this problem with a long wig and it was so bad I could not get my fingers through it let alone a comb. I was seriously thinking I was going to have to cut it out >_<. My Revlon wig conditioner was missing so I had pickup some Motions Oil Sheen from Walmart for a future project and gave it a shot. After 45 minutes of coaxing the wig fiber with my fingers and spray every so often I was able to start getting a comb through it! All I got to say is Oil Sheen saved my wig :love:

I take it you know someone that is a horse trainer Vasher, I have no clue where to buy this locally but you can get it online.

Lady
07-12-2007, 10:42 AM
I take it you know someone that is a horse trainer Vasher, no clue where to buy this locally but you can get it online.

Actually, Mane 'n' Tail became a popular shampoo and conditioner line for humans as well as horses. I don't live in a farm town, and my Meijer's stocks Mane 'n' Tail in their regular shampoo aisle.

(I think I used it long ago when I used to ride, and it worked pretty well on my horse's coarse tail, so I figure it's worth a shot!)

mikazuki
07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Walmart, Target, ShopKo, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc all carry Mane and Tail. It's typically sold where the ethnic products are sold and sometimes in the normal shampoo aisle.

Arienette
07-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Mane and Tail does work excellently, both on horses and humans, at least from my experience. :)

You should be able to find Mane and Tail shampoo/conditioner at any local drugstore, but I'm not sure if they usually sell the detangler.

You'll also definitely be able to find it (along with Showsheen) if there's any tack store (equestrian supply store) in your area; or you can buy it online.

vasher
07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Hmm, up until just recently, you could buy those products at Petsmart in the equine section. They might have phased them out, though, over the summer. ;_;

Comes to about $10-15 for a quart, I think.

Anyways, I've seen Mane and Tail at lots of drugstores like Walgreens and Longs. Gave me a bit of a shock, actually, suddenly coming across my horse supplies in a place like that. XD

Be warned- 'Mane and Tail' is a brand rather than a specific product. The stuff you guys would be looking for is the Mane and Tail detangler or 'shine-on'. Works like a charm on the dirtiest, clumpiest hair- wig, human, or horse, heheh. Usually comes in a spritz bottle like Windex cleaner.

If you want to order online, I like-

http://www.statelinetack.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=SLT054588-

It is the Walmart of horse stuff stores.

Like Arienette (*waves* Hi, other horsey people!) said, there's bound to be a few bottles of those products at any tack store close to you. :)

Rayonea
07-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Okay, question. ^_^

How does the oil sheen react with detangler? Is the oil sheen rinsed off by it or does it just not affect it?

(And I didn't know Mane and Tail made detangler. 0.o I'm gonna need to check that stuff out. The shampoo really works well (Yay! Horses! XD), so this should be worth a try! ^_^ )

Arienette
07-13-2007, 10:39 PM
*waves back at vasher* :) Yay for fellow California horsepeople. You ride English or Western?

I forgot about Petsmart. They should carry it too, although I don't know if all stores have an equine section (mine does, but I rarely go, so I don't know if they've phased it out lately).

As for the oil sheen with detangler, that's a good question. I don't have any Mane n' Tail detangler, but I can bring my Showsheen home tomorrow night and test it out.

Terranell
07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
This thread has just saved me hours of heartache, and probably a lot of money. Thanks for the post, I'd have never thought of it.

Neko-Miko
07-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Can someone tell me the ingredients of oil sheen? I have extension conditioner that works very well, but since it's quite expensive (I paid ~$18,50), I'm looking for an alternative ^^

mikazuki
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Can someone tell me the ingredients of oil sheen? I have extension conditioner that works very well, but since it's quite expensive (I paid ~$18,50), I'm looking for an alternative ^^

I can give you a little more info. Here's the MSDS for it:

Brand Information
Brand Name: Alberto Culver Motions At Home Oil Sheen, (Ethnic)
Form: liquid
Product Category: Personal care/use >> Hair Care >> hair styling/sculpting
Personal care/use >> Hair Care >> ethnic
Date Entered: 2006-04-21
Related Items: Products with similar usage in this database

Manufacturer
Manufacturer: Alberto Culver Company
Address: 2525 Armitage Avenue
City: Melrose Park
State: IL
Zip Code: 60160
Telephone Number: 708-450-3000
Fax Number: 708-450-3382
Toll Free Number: 800-333-6666
Date Info Verified: 2007-02-07
Related Items: Products by this manufacturer

Health Effects

Enter text or highlight term...
The following information (Health Effects, Handling/Disposal, and Ingredients) is taken from the product label and/or the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) prepared by the manufacturer. The National Library of Medicine does not evaluate information from the product label or the Material Safety Data Sheet.
Warning from
Product Label: MSDS: Refer to 'Handling'
Cool dry storage. Protect from freezing. Keep out of reach of children.
Acute Health Effects: MSDS: Hazards Identification
Emergency overview - Extremely Flammable. Will be easily ignited by heat, spark or flames. Harmful: may cause lung damage if swallowed.
Potential health effects
Routes of exposure - Ingestion.
Eyes - Contact with eyes may cause irritation.
Skin - Health injuries are not known or expected under normal use.
Inhalation - Do not breathe vapor. May cause breathing disorders and lung damage. Intentional misuse by concentrating and inhaling the product can be harmful or fatal. Health injuries are not known or expected under normal use.
Ingestion - Harmful: may cause lung damage if swallowed. Do not ingest.
Target organs - Central nervous system.
Chronic Health Effects: MSDS: Chronic effects May cause central nervous system disorder (e.g., narcosis involving a loss of coordination, weakness, fatigue, mental confusion, and blurred vision) and/or damage.
Signs and symptoms Narcosis. Behavioral changes. Decrease in motor functions.
Carcinogenicity: MSDS: Composition Comments This product is not considered to be a carcinogen by IARC, ACGIH, NTP, or OSHA.
First Aid: MSDS: First Aid Measures
Eye contact - Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 20 minutes.
Get medical attention immediately if irritation develops or persists.
Skin contact - Get medical attention immediately if irritation develops or persists. Wash off with soap and water
Inhalation - Move to fresh air. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Call a physician if symptoms develop or persist.
Ingestion - If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label. Have victim rinse mouth thoroughly with water. Do not induce vomiting without medical advice. If vomiting occurs naturally, have victim lean forward to reduce risk of aspiration. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested the substance. Induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Notes to physician Symptoms may be delayed.
Health Rating: 1
Flammability Rating: 4
Reactivity Rating: 0
HMIS Rating Scale: 0 = Minimal; 1 = Slight; 2 = Moderate; 3 = Serious; 4 = Severe;
N = No information provided by manufacturer; * = Chronic Health Hazard
MSDS Date: 2006-03-23

Handling/Disposal
Handling: MSDS: Handling
Do not handle or store near an open flame, heat or other sources of ignition. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. All equipment used when handling the product must be grounded. When using do not eat or drink. Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking. May be ignited by open flame. Do not breathe gas/fumes/vapor/spray.

Storage
Do not handle or store near an open flame, heat or other sources of ignition. Store in cool place. Keep in a well-ventilated place. This material can accumulate static charge which may cause spark and become an ignition source. The pressure in sealed containers can increase under the influence of heat. Keep container tightly closed. Keep the container dry. Keep this material away from food, drink and animal feed. Keep out of the reach of children.
Disposal: MSDS: Dispose in accordance with applicable regulations. Must be incinerated in a suitable incineration plant holding a permit delivered by the competent authorities. If discarded, this product is considered a RCRA ignitable waste. D001. Incinerate the material under controlled conditions in an approved incinerator.

Ingredients from MSDS/Label
Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
Propane 000074-98-6 <10
Isobutane 000075-28-5 <40
Butane 000106-97-8 <2.5
Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light 064742-47-8 <60
MSDS: No reportable quantities of hazardous materials present 999999-70-8

Neko-Miko
07-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Thank you! ^^

phantomthief
07-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Arienette- Any updates with the showmane? :3

As a note, I just used the Moitons on a Linda XXL and it looks great ^_____^ It especially helps around the nape of the neck >.<

~Ari-chan

mikazuki
07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I decided to get some for my daughter's long hair (to her butt) since it tangles and the smell is disgusting but it works great. It doesn't leave the hair oily at all but frankly it smells like rotten olives. Thank goodness the smell dissipates after a few minutes.

Devi 1313
07-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Actually, I've had wonderful results with 'Show Sheen' and 'Mane and Tail Detangler'- both silicon based detanglers, so you won't get any oiliness afterwards. It dries in about 30 sec and makes whatever you spritz it on super slick. Um, also, try not to spray it over any hardwood floors. The are under my wig was dangerously slippery for a bout a week. >.>;

Whaaa?? Show Sheen?? I sell that at my job!

lilyakka
07-30-2007, 02:14 PM
The Motions spray worked great on my 30" Cher wig for my Jin cosplay. Thanks for the great tip. YAY no more crazy tangles from the ponytail. :bigtu:

-lilyakka

Kukkii-san
07-31-2007, 06:55 PM
I love Motions Oil Sheen, though it does not not de-kink the hair (i.e., detangle it for real). It helps to prep the hair with this stuff though so you can brush it more easily after it's dry and prevent it from tangling even more.

If the wig fiber is kinky, you'll still have to straighten it using the hot water method (or a blow dryer for minor kinks) or simply cut off single kinky hairs. But as straightening won't work unless the hair can hang freely, you need to detangle it as much as possible first, using your hands and a comb / wig brush - and magic oil sheen helps tremendously when doing this^^

In my experience, it works even if you let it dry only for a few minutes or half an hour before brushing the hair. At a con last weekend, I handed my can of oil sheen to a desperate friend whose wig was tangled badly after a con day (it was also a Punky XXL) and minutes later, she and another cosplayer in the room were so excited they decided to get their own Motions Oil Sheen immediately^^

Dal_Segno
08-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Can this be used as a tangle preventer as well, or just for after care?

KittyLee
09-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Just wondering, but the Motions Oil Sheen Spray stuff works on curly wigs as well right? It won't weight it down? Since the one in the demo was straight... I just wanted to check and make sure before I went and sprayed it on my wig... Thanks!

chisainekocat
09-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Can this be used as a tangle preventer as well, or just for after care?

Yes. It's better to spray your wig as soon as possible before it gets any kinks and tangles that may end up being to twisted to untangle. It's not going to keep your wig tangle-free if you toss and kick it around, but it should help when you're walking around with the wig.

artisticpsyco
11-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi, I'm posting on my friend's account since I don't have my own account on here. So I hope that's okay ^_^

Would it help prevent tangles in Amphigory's "really long" wig?

http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_really_long.html

It's about 5' 7" but I'm only 5'3". However I'll be using this for a Chobits cosplay, so do you think it'd still be okay for my wig to be a little past floor length if I carried my hair a bit while I walked?

Fashwiing
11-24-2007, 08:51 PM
You may want to think about wearing platform shoes and giving that wig a slight haircut. It's never really a good thing if a wig drags on the floor. It's like one big dust mop in that it picks up every little thing that's on the floor and your wig will be one big dreadlock at the end. Trust me. Little sister plus Sadako wig plus floor for several hours will always equal a really bad rat's nest. But yes, this stuff should prevent tangles, or at least deter them a bit. Wig detangler is always a good thing to have, though.

Kukkii-san
11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
You again^^ Well, nothing will PREVENT the "really long wig" from tangling. I'd definitely use the oil sheen prior to wearing the wig (I'd get more like two or three cans, actually...) but it'll still be a lot of work to detangle the wig after wearing it.

And yes, definitely keep it from dragging on the floor, don't move more than you have to and secure the hair with ribbons whenever you're not posing for photos or such.

phantomthief
12-16-2007, 05:20 PM
In that case, I'd actually suggest keeping the hair at least a little tied up... All the time >.>;;;

~Ari-chan

livvylove
12-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Ari-chan your such a life saver. ::hugs:: I've heard about this but never could find where someone mentioned exactly what they used. I can't wait to use it on some of the wigs I'm planning on getting this year.

phantomthief
12-16-2007, 10:18 PM
No prob ^______^ I use it on EVERYTHING nowadays O_o;;; Luckily it comes in a nice large can... 5 wigs and still nowhere near out.

~Ari-chan

Eva Yui
12-19-2007, 07:57 AM
This thread rocks so hard. I have to go get some of the sheen at least. Anyone else wishing this could be stickied? lol

Atrista
12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I got a big can of it last week for my Godiva XL wig for Tear, I've already liberally doused it :) Good Stuff!

Crazy Flower
12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Oh, Oil sheen, how I love you so.

I should have thought of this a long time ago. I use it on my hair as well. (I tend to have a dry scalp, and curls don't maintain very long) I used it on a Cleopatra wig I bought, and it made it much more manageable.

AlphaNinn
12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Really good to know... I was *this close* to picking up a can of it the other day for my Ivy wig and a couple other long ones I have that I have no clue what the style name is, but I just wasn't sure if there was a particular way to use it, so I didn't get any.

Once I get home in a week or so, I'll pick it up immediately.

Zeat Project
12-29-2007, 08:48 PM
THIS STUFF WORKS!!!!! I am so going to buy 3 more cans of this stuff. I did wonders to my Godiva XL wig and my 1960s Cher wig. I used it on the ponytail that I wore for my Twlight Suzuka cosplay this year as a tester. I saw some results in about 1 hour. I was jumping for joy. THANK YOU!!!

Icey
01-02-2008, 06:48 PM
I'll throw in my two cents about the Mane n' Tail. I couldn't find Shine On, but I did find their detangler in the equine section of Tractor Supply Co. It works fantastic. It's virtually fragrance free, meaning the only way I could smell what little scent it has was to put my nose within millimeters of the wig fiber, and it dries in around half an hour from a pretty liberal spray down. I sprayed it, worked it between the fibers with my fingers, and let it dry. My wide tooth comb had no trouble at all going through wig, save for a few tangles that came out with a gentle tug, and after I worked those out I was able to run my wig brush from cap to end with no resistance. Keep in mind this wig is around 52 inches long. It wasn't terribly tangled to start with, but the ends were getting a bit fuzzy from styling and hitting against my wig stand. I haven't tested how well it retards tangling while wearing yet, but I'll let you know once I get back from Ohayocon.

Another thing worth noting is that my bottle came labeled as "equine strength", so I'm not sure how much stronger that is than the normal detangler.

Devi 1313
01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, I've used both Show Sheen and Motions' oil spray on my poor old Lucy wig and it WORKED! I didn't really notice a smell for Show Sheen, but Motions' had a really light, sweet smell. I do have to be careful, though, because the wig texture is kind of funny now and still tangles easily. Hopefully once I wash the wig to remove it's old dye job it'll feel silky again.

Artema
01-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I loooove this stuff. I got a can last year before I did Alucard and Winry and it was a lifesaver- my wigs messed a little, but it wasn't that icky wig matted tangle, it was more like dealing with real hair and I could just comb it out right away, instead of having knots to fiddle with.

I have to third the suggestion to spray it on the underside of the wig, where it brushes your neck and clothes. It keeps them from scrunching up too much and sticking to you with your movement. :3 This stuff is totally a necessity for anyone who plans on getting into wearing wigs for cosplay.

ruka2990
02-11-2008, 01:08 PM
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you THAAANKK YOUU!! the wig i'm going to style for my Xemnas cosplay was rather hard to work with and this helped ALLOT! yes it still gets a little tangled just like any hair would but now i can at least run my fingers through it without it getting tangled up, it'll make styling WAY easier! i also used it on my long purple wig and it's soooo soft! thank you so much for the tutorial, i'm going to use it with every wig i buy from now on! :rockon:

Rikku84
02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
When you guys say there is a slight oily feel to the fibers after using Motions, does it rub off on stuff? (ex: will it rub off on the fabrics of your costume and potentially ruin/discolor) The costume I'm going to be using this with has a lot of white casa satin in it, and i dont want to ruin all my hard work ;_;

Thanks!

chisainekocat
02-11-2008, 05:12 PM
It's not incredibly oily when it dries, so it shouldn't rub off on or discolor fabrics. Imagine if you didn't wash your hair for a week. You can definitely feel that your hair is oily, but's not like it's dripping with oil (eww..). Oil sheen is like that, but only when it is dry. When it's still wet, it can certainly drip everywhere and rub off.

phantomthief
02-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Like chisai said, it's not that apparent. The longer it sits, the drier it becomes. Heck, the original wig I tried it on feels completely normal to the touch but still doesn't tangle much ^____^

~Ari-chan

TwilightAmelia
02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Wow, I'll have to add this stuff to my list of cosplay necessities. ^^;; I've got two wigs for this year's ACEN and Its my first time dealing with them. I'd rather not have to deal with CRAZY tangles lol.

You said you can find this stuff at Wal-mart? There's not much in the way of shopping around here, though I could always go somewhere next time I'm home on break.

Rikku84
02-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Wow, I'll have to add this stuff to my list of cosplay necessities. ^^;; I've got two wigs for this year's ACEN and Its my first time dealing with them. I'd rather not have to deal with CRAZY tangles lol.

You said you can find this stuff at Wal-mart? There's not much in the way of shopping around here, though I could always go somewhere next time I'm home on break.

I just bought 2 cans at Walmart over the weekend, but last night I saw it at Pathmark (not sure where you're from but its a grocery store on the East Coast) so I'd assume other grocery stores might carry a few cans too. Like in Walmart, its in the hair care aisle near the ethnic products

Rikku84
02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
It's not incredibly oily when it dries, so it shouldn't rub off on or discolor fabrics. Imagine if you didn't wash your hair for a week. You can definitely feel that your hair is oily, but's not like it's dripping with oil (eww..). Oil sheen is like that, but only when it is dry. When it's still wet, it can certainly drip everywhere and rub off.

Glad to hear its not gonna ruin it. Im gonna be so paranoid walking around hoping not to get anything on my costume. Ty! ^^

phantomthief
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear its not gonna ruin it. Im gonna be so paranoid walking around hoping not to get anything on my costume. Ty! ^^

Don't worry. The main wig that I use it on is for a $300+ beast of a costume with lots of white and light blues. Not a single stain on it :)

~Ari-chan

Sirene
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Just a quick question. What effect would the Motion Oil spray have on the style of a wig like the Fashion Note by Forever Young (http://amphigory.com/wigs_fy_fashion_note.html), if any? I'm using it for a Marluxia costume and getting ready to start trimming and dyeing it, but I want to know if this will affect the feathery quality of the wig's layers. They're the reason I bought this particular wig, so I'd rather not ruin them. :3

Also, should the spray be used before or after dyeing a wig? (I'd assume after so that the dye can reach the wig fibers directly rather than putting a barrier of oil between the two, but I just want to make sure.)

Kukkii-san
02-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Definitely after dyeing it. The oil sheen will make the fiber somewhat stain-resistant (and thus, dye resistant - at least that's my guess) but more importantly, the oil sheen won't stay in/on the fiber because you'll rinse it with the dye. So the oil sheen treatment would be completely useless.

It's a good idea to use wig conditioner on the wig after you dyed it. However, I have no idea how oil sheen spray affects the dyed fiber as I haven't tried it yet.

As for the wig style, I don't think the oil sheen will be a problem (it doesn't weigh down the fiber once it's dry) but dyeing it might be, as you'll be combing, washing and blow-drying the wig a lot. Especially the hot air treatment will probably flatten the flips a bit (because they're heat-formed.) On the other hand, not blow-drying the wig may result in a streaky color.

Sirene
02-13-2008, 05:40 PM
All right, thank you very much!

I wasn't planning to blow-dry and/or use any hot air on the wig. I'm going to use the FW Ink method, which should work fine. I'll probably test the Motion Oil on a test swatch of dyed fiber before spraying it all over the wig, though, just to see if it affects that method of dyeing.

Kukkii-san
02-14-2008, 09:32 AM
AFAIK you should always blow dry the wig (on low heat of course) while working it layer by layer, no matter what recipe you use. As the dye is liquid, it will run and leave streaks in the fiber if you don't speed up the drying process (especially if you're dyeing it completely, in a bold color, not just a few lowlights.)

I tested the Oil Sheen on a dyed swatch yesterday and the alcohol in the spray DOES rub off the color! However, once the oil sheen has dried, it doesn't affect the color anymore. So you might be safe if you mist the spray on lightly and don't touch the wig for the next few hours.

TwilightAmelia
02-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Phantomthief: Illinois doesn't have that particular chain of grocery stores, but I'm sure Jewel-Osco would have the same product in their pharmacy section.

So I would definitely use the spray AFTER styling, right? I have a curly wig I'm planning on relaxing to a gentle wave, and I'm wondering when I should apply the oil treatment. Also, do you recommend this before or after traveling?

Sirene
02-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks again for the info. I'll give it a shot! :3

phantomthief
02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Phantomthief: Illinois doesn't have that particular chain of grocery stores, but I'm sure Jewel-Osco would have the same product in their pharmacy section.

So I would definitely use the spray AFTER styling, right? I have a curly wig I'm planning on relaxing to a gentle wave, and I'm wondering when I should apply the oil treatment. Also, do you recommend this before or after traveling?

Hair care stores should carry it as well :)
It all depends on the style. If you're doing spikes or a "hard" style (the fiber is sprayed or glued into place) then there's no need to use the stuff in the first place. If there's hanging hair, then spray it before styling to make it easier to style.
For example, Cloud would need nothing. For sailor moon, I'd spray the extensions that are free hanging.

I'd definately say do it before traveling so your wig doesn't tangle as much in-transit and it's easier to manage once you unpack it. Just make sure to let it dry before doing anything.

~Ari-chan

TwilightAmelia
02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Its all hanging hair. Nothing spiky, all the girls I'm playing this year have massive amounts of long hair.

And thanks again for the tips. I have nightmares about snarly wigs at ACEN.

CosplayerGabi
02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I had NO idea other people did this.

I'll start by stating the obvious, I'm black. You can see it in that little thumbnail picture there :) I oil my hair after washing it. It keeps it soft and moisturized.

So I got my first long wig around 4 years ago and of course long ones tangle like nothing else. Aside from constantly brushing it I wanted a way to keep it tamed and non static-y to keep the fly aways in check.

Knowing wig hair is plastic I carefully spritzed a bottom section of hair with olive oil hair spray and combed it through.

It's GREAT. It did everything you guys are describing. I never said anything about it cause I feared someone would say "it was terrible for a wig or EWW I don't want oil in my wig gross!"

Goldfinch
02-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Thank you so much for posting this! I was wondering whether or not it was a good idea to buy this stuff, but now I'm sold!

Siryn
02-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Okay..thank you SO much for this thread! I just finished using the Motions Oil Sheen on my Ivy wig (cause it's soooo pretty and silky I wanted to treat it before it's first wear)

It's drying right now..so I will believe what everyone's been saying and I expect wonderous results! :)

Hydraskylar
02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Meijer has the Mane n' Tail stuffs way up on those high shelves, I couldn't find any detangler, will check Walmart tomorrow. By the way, would Main n' Tail conditioner work as well or somewhat help with the tangling? Walgreens is having this buy-1-get-1-free sale (bogo, lol ^_^) for Mane n' Tail shampoo and conditioner. I'm tempted to buy but not sure. Does the conditioner just help keep the wig soft or does they actually help with the tangling? Thanks

phantomthief
02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Someone mentioned a little earlier that the Mane n' Tail worked wonderfully :) I'd do a thread search for "Mane" just in case though.

And unless you wig has some deep set knots, it seems to help with the tangling plenty :)
In fact, it's more for tangling, less for softening...

~Ari

Hydraskylar
02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
thank you, bought the conditioners today. Glad I read this topic just in time for the sale! ^_^ currently, I only own medium length wigs so I think conditioner would be fine. It's weird, though, I'd never have thought of something like Mane n' Tail to be so well-known among cosplayers (not that I've heard about it before)

Kukkii-san
02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Basically, conditioned fiber is easier to brush and part, it just doesn't stick to itself as easily as coarse, unconditioned fiber.

Conditioner thus helps prevent tangling and makes detangling the wig easier, however, it doesn't relax kinks and knots - you'll still have to straighten those yourself.

narutofan195
03-20-2008, 06:42 PM
would this stuff work as well as the motions oil sheen? i am no where near a walmart, the closest one is overe 2 hours away, can i find it any other place?

here is the other stuff i found (online):http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100235&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod402585

also walgreens (online) has motion's oil sheen ^^ WOOT i hope the store does too!

ShiNo_Usagi
03-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Ok, I just ordered a long 40" wig that I plan on trying the Motions sheen stuff on. My question though is how do you keep the wig head from falling over when the wig is pinned on to it and you're spraying the wig and letting it dry? This was the problem with my last long wig... it got so tangled that I dontaed it to some friends who were able to use it.

Plz and Thnx ^^

Sarcasm-hime
04-01-2008, 02:09 AM
You need to get yourself a wig head stand. :)

Kukkii-san
04-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Either that, or make one yourself. E.g., put a stick into a flower pot or a bucket filled with sand; or fill a bottle with water or sand and put it on a table (and maybe lean something heavy against the bottle from all sides if it still tends to fall over.) I highly recommend a wig stand that can be fixed to the table - like this one:
http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigsupplies_tools.html - it's gold! <3
Though for very long wigs, this sometimes isn't high enough, so I go with the make-shift wig stand (bottle on a table) instead or use my camera tripod:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1444902/
(I really need to get myself a mannequin for presentation *lol*)

ShiNo_Usagi
04-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Either that, or make one yourself. E.g., put a stick into a flower pot or a bucket filled with sand; or fill a bottle with water or sand and put it on a table (and maybe lean something heavy against the bottle from all sides if it still tends to fall over.) I highly recommend a wig stand that can be fixed to the table - like this one:
http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigsupplies_tools.html - it's gold! <3
Though for very long wigs, this sometimes isn't high enough, so I go with the make-shift wig stand (bottle on a table) instead or use my camera tripod:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1444902/
(I really need to get myself a mannequin for presentation *lol*)

Thanks so much ^^ I have a mannequin... I should try that first X3

sakurasilver
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
hey, i live in the gta area, anyone know if motions oil sheen it's available at wal-mart in ontario canada (or mane and tail)?

ShiNo_Usagi
04-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I looked threw the thread and didn't see anything that touched much on this, sorry if I did miss it.

I got a long wavy wig that I need to straighten using the warm water method, so here is my question... Should I spray the wig with motions spray before straightening to help keep the wig from tangling or would the motions just be rinsed out of the wig? If so I guess I will just spray it on after I'm done straightening it.

phantomthief
04-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Straighten first, then spray :) If you don't mess with it too much and pour the water close to the wig, the straightening process shouldn't tangle the wig too badly.

~Ari

Kukkii-san
04-08-2008, 02:48 AM
If the wig is tangled badly, oil sheen spray can help you detangle it (which is mandatory before you pour hot water over it, or else, the tangles will just get worse.) If the wig is new, just straighten it now (I wouldn't even brush it if the curls are chunky and have never been messed with) and use the oil sheen to condition it later.

Actually, straightening a wig is what you use as a last step to detangle a wig, you just need to make sure the fiber is allowed to hang freely, and any kinks will be straightened. If it's knotted, however, the fiber won't be able to relax; instead, the kinks will get permanent.

Yueri
04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Im sorry I havent read through the whole thread except for the first post, but I have a question and dont have much time to write.

Does anyone have any experience with the CREAM presentation for this Motions stuff?
I just wanted to know if its the same but with rinsing or if its just a whole other deal...

Thanks!

Kukkii-san
04-08-2008, 12:59 PM
All I can say is, if it's supposed to be rinsed, it won't work for wigs. Anything that's supposed to penetrate the hair doesn't work on wig fiber; when you rinse a wig, it's rinsed, and nothing (i.e., no effect) remains.

bubydub
04-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I sprayed my wigs yesterday, and they're great now! It's SO much easier to comb through them now! Thanks alot! : D

ShiNo_Usagi
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I finally got around to spraying my wig! yay! Took me 2+ weeks to straighten it x_x But yeah, I sprayed the Motions Sheen on 3 separate times and, BOY! Is it soft and smooth =D This will make the styling process a lot easier ^^

SailorGaia
05-06-2008, 04:28 PM
What a great suggestion!! I'm about to start working on a super super long wig and this is exactly something I was worrying about!!

The question I have is that I have to do some dyeing on this super long wig. Should I spray Motions first, let dry fully, and then dye (and then obviously re-apply after the rinse) or wait until after I dye it to apply? The wig is for a peachskin white kimono and any permanent stain on it would equal instant sadness on my part! Does Motions affect the dye?

Thanks for the help! A+++ thread!!

Crystal Clover
06-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I just want to say thank you for posting all of this up! It took me an hour and a half to comb out my wig after wearing it just once around the house. I was having nightmares of wearing it again and having to go through that again!

phantomthief
06-01-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm glad the tutorial is helping people :D I wore the Amanda pictured in the first post for the 6th time recently and it still combs out like a dream.

Sailor Gaia: Sorry I didn't reply sooner >_< I'd suggest dyeing first since the oil sheen coats the fibers slightly. I don't think the dye would stick :\ But I do know that the spray doesn't remove any dye so that should be fine.

~Ari

wpuzzle
07-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Thank youuu for the awesome thread <3, it helps massively!

Although I have a question about maintenance- I'm getting a relatively long wig, so how often would you suggest to spray the long wig with it? I wouldn't want it to be too oily, and at the same time, I really don't have much space in my room and I have to store my wigs in plastic bags- would you guys suggest that I spray it (and let it dry) each time I take the wig out before an event? Or just spray it once prior to wearing it for the first time (and not spraying it again in the future)?

I tried this product with a previous long-ish wig, and it actually got a bit oily ^^;. (I did let it hang to dry for 48 hours) Is it maybe because I sprayed it a little bit too much? And I tried untangling a tangled wig when it was still wet with the product, which couldn't help untangle it (probably should have waited until it completely dried first?).

Spazzeh
07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
This stuff sounds likes a god send. xD I think I'll pick some up.

But it doesn't reduce a wig's silkyness, though, right?

MugenChick1317
07-19-2008, 08:11 AM
I've got a question. I have bought two long haired wigs for two costumes for MechaCon (in 12 days). From just sitting on the wig heads, both have become frizzy and such. I have a gentle and mild hair detangler that I use on my hair. From using it on my hair (whether wet or dry) it makes my hair more manageable to brush through and such. Could I maybe use the same thing on my wigs? Or should I not risk it and get products you all have mentioned to use?

Azimel
08-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm also sending my thanks to the creator of this thread. I just sprayed down a 45" wig, which I was super nervous about wearing due to tangling as I've never dealt with a wig quite so long. I gave it a test tonight and tangling was minimal. :) I'm sure you've saved me a lot of heart-ache.

phantomthief
08-01-2008, 11:10 PM
wpuzzle: I only sprayed my Amanda once two years ago and it's still quite nice! (6 wears over an hour long)

Spazzeh: Not at all :3

Mugen: Unfortunately... I haven't tested anything else so I'd rather not tell you anything strange ^.^;;;

Azimel: Glad it helped! :D

Moon_Fish
08-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I bought the spray with the manual push pump and omg, I'll never use anything else on my wigs again. I love this stuff so much, I'm not worried about wearing long wigs anymore XD! Best of all it doesn't effect the sheen of the fibers so everything is soft and shiney. Thank you so much for the tutorial!

Sirene
08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
I just bought two cans of the Sheen Spray this afternoon (it was a sale, 2 for $5 - I couldn't pass it up!). It'll last me a while, whoohoo.

I'm going to use it on my Olette wig to make it a little less frizzy before I curl the bottom locks. I'm very excited to give this stuff a try!

Crystalike
08-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Sirene: Haha! I just bought two for that price too! XDD I plan on testing this out on my Lenne wig and my various other long wigs (I have a lot just not pictured in my wig gallery).

pyrogamer
10-23-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm new to wigs and when I read this thread, I thought it was a God send. Should the wig be washed before spraying or could the wig be sprayed immediately after you get it?

Kukkii-san
10-24-2008, 03:31 AM
Nope, you only wash the wig when it's dirty^^

Just put the wig on a wig head, spray on the oil sheen from all angles, and let it dry overnight.

phantomthief
12-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Just figured I should bump this up since the subject's been coming up a lot...

LollieRot
02-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Question! I've heard that Show Sheen [horse stuff again] is amazing for keeping long wigs pretty tangle free. Should I also put the Oil on? Also, I have a very curly wig that I would like to deal with, but i'm scared of brushing it. Would the oil help calm my fear??

Megumiie
02-25-2009, 02:36 AM
I have just noticed I have Motions Oil Moisturizer (Extra Conditioning Oil Sheen Spay) Not the Oil Sheen and Conditioning spray... Would this make a difference? I sprayed my wig nearly 48 hrs ago and it still kinda looks stringy...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/Megumie/P1020227.jpg

phantomthief
02-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Megumiie- Have you combed it out, yet? That gets rid of a large part of the stringiness. Though I've had no contact with the version you use so I can't say for sure what's up :\

Lollie- For what I've seen it works fine :) However, for the curly wig I wouldn't risk it. :\ any brushing whatsoever can destroy your pretty curls. Going over them with a light coat of hairspray would actually be preferrable!

~Ari

Megumiie
02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Megumiie- Have you combed it out, yet? That gets rid of a large part of the stringiness. Though I've had no contact with the version you use so I can't say for sure what's up :\

~Ari

Yes I have.. Ohh well at least it wont tangle anymore LOL.

Thanks Anyways

Tesh-chan
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Heya, random question. I have a Motions product for my regular hair, but can it be used on a wig? It's a glosser pretty much the same as the spray, only it's in a dispense bottle. I wouldn't attempt using it on my long wig, but my other wig is medium length. Would work it as well as the spray?

Tesh-chan
03-07-2009, 12:19 AM
With the flood of new topics this got buried, so I thought I'd ask again. Sorry. I'm just anxious to stop my wig from frizzing, and not sure if the Motions dispense bottle is the same as the spray product. Just making sure before I try using it.

Cloudii
03-13-2009, 11:38 PM
I'll throw in my two cents about the Mane n' Tail. I couldn't find Shine On, but I did find their detangler in the equine section of Tractor Supply Co. It works fantastic. It's virtually fragrance free, meaning the only way I could smell what little scent it has was to put my nose within millimeters of the wig fiber, and it dries in around half an hour from a pretty liberal spray down. I sprayed it, worked it between the fibers with my fingers, and let it dry. My wide tooth comb had no trouble at all going through wig, save for a few tangles that came out with a gentle tug, and after I worked those out I was able to run my wig brush from cap to end with no resistance. Keep in mind this wig is around 52 inches long. It wasn't terribly tangled to start with, but the ends were getting a bit fuzzy from styling and hitting against my wig stand. I haven't tested how well it retards tangling while wearing yet, but I'll let you know once I get back from Ohayocon.

Another thing worth noting is that my bottle came labeled as "equine strength", so I'm not sure how much stronger that is than the normal detangler.

The Detangler? What is that? Where can i find it? lol Right now one of my wigs has a few tangles in it. but i haven't really done anything to it yet because i'm not sure how to handle it. it's pretty long, goes up to my knees. I already have one of those detangling combs, how would i work with the detangler and the comb to untangle my wig?

Cloudii
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
I finally got around to spraying my wig! yay! Took me 2+ weeks to straighten it x_x But yeah, I sprayed the Motions Sheen on 3 separate times and, BOY! Is it soft and smooth =D This will make the styling process a lot easier ^^

should you spray the motions oil spray on first, and then style it. or spray it on after you style it?
Or doing both would be better?

Matty's Mello
03-14-2009, 12:08 AM
I have yet to get a long wig, but when I do- I have my show sheen bottle ready! My poneh is so naturally shiny I only end up using it to detangle her mane and tail... though be warned- don't use too much- i dunno what it would do to wig hair, but it dries out my horses tail if I use too much or too often...

Biancamella
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for this thread! I'm gonna use a 39" long wig for my C.C., so I was pretty anxious about how to deal with tangling and stuff. But first I have to find out if they even carry this product in Spain or if I'll have to order it online ;w;

sakurasilver
04-06-2009, 01:49 PM
i just tried mane n tail detangler.. works like a charm!!! doesn't feel oily at all and has no scent to it!

Siyana
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Question! Can I use this for a curly wig like the Natalie XL, or would combing it out destroy the curls?

Kukkii-san
04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
It will destroy chunky curls (by separating the fiber.) But you can restyle the wig after detangling it.

A14jojo
05-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I am glade I found this thread, seeing as I am getting my first wig and will be totally clueless about caring for it. XD

I have a question though and I hope it's not a repeat, but I went looking for Motions oil sheen and found it but it said Oil Sheen and Conditioner. It this the same thing you guys are recommending or is it something else? I am scared to buy and not get the great results everyone is talking about.

Kukkii-san
05-30-2009, 03:58 AM
It should say Oil Sheen and Conditioning Spray. It must be a spray for this tutorial to work.

A14jojo
05-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Sorry, I should have been clear, the can said Oil Sheen and Conditioning Spray, which is exactly what you just confirmed, so thank you! I like to leave as little room for mistakes as possible. ^^

PhantasmaJun
05-30-2009, 09:01 PM
I started using motions a couple of years ago as recommended but my hair dresser (I have mixed hair black and white) and I get it permed and it is so straight until you hit humid weather the motions makes your hair stay put and soft and silky plus (wouldn't recommend this with a wig) but Oil sheen can be used with a straightening iron and it makes your hair super straight dont be scared of the steam it is just the water seperating from the oil sheen spray. all in all I was happy to learn it works on wigs what cant this stuff do XD

cosplaygrimlin
07-07-2009, 01:48 AM
i have a question, i am cosplaying hatsune miku, and my wig is awesome, but it gets tangled the second you take it out of the bag. i know this thread is kinda older, so i figured someone would have tried it and figured this out by now. do you need to wash this back out of your wig after you spray it on there and wear it out? and how do you you go about washing it out if the need arises. also, are you able to put it back into it's storage bag, or do you need to go about storing it in some special way in order to keep something bad from happening to it? i was going to spray mane & tail detangler on it before i wear it to the con, but i just want to know what to do with it after :) it was a $80 wig, so i really don't want to hurt it.

phantomthief
07-21-2009, 06:21 AM
The one from CosplayWig? I've sprayed it on mine and it was just fine :) You don't need to wash it out (just let it dry and gently comb it afterwards) and if you do need to eventually wash it, you dont need to do anything special. And it can go back into its bag, no problems there, ether ^___^

~Ari

Zetchi
07-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Wow I wish I would have known about this BEFORE I wore my wig for my Arietta cosplay. It's the first time I wore a wig at that length. I'm letting the wig dry now. I really hope it saves it because I don't wanna by another wig =[ This one is so perfect.

umbrellas
07-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Just as an update for those of us up in Canada-land, I had a heckuva time finding Motions Oil Sheen anywhere. I did eventually find it in Walmart, but none of the pharmacies I checked carried it.

That being said, at that point I had already found and bought Mane n' Tail Detangler- which for the record worked like a charm on my super tangled black wig. (I tried to take before and after shots, but they're a blurry mess, I can post an after shot though, if anyone would like). Mane n' Tail smells pretty nice, like light flowers. But only right after spraying and if you get right up close to sniff the wig. Also- the scent didn't affect my roommate with super sensitive allergies. Yay! No icky residue after it dries, but it sure does comb nice ^_^

tl;dr

Canuck that wants Motions? Walmart has for about 7.50$. Mane n' Tail also works great.

KitsuneCagalli
10-13-2009, 09:50 AM
So I'm here to contribute my 2 cents about Motions. :D

I was VERY unsure because my lovely wig collection is expensive and I wasn't sure if oil, which is meant for real hair, would work on wigs made of synthetic fibers. I didn't want a gross oily wig with stringy sections for my long haired wigs, but with the tangles I was getting, something needed to be done.

I LOVED IT. The Motions oil sheen and conditioning spray was wonderful, untangled my knots instantly after drying, and it's not oily, but soft and smooth. Its smelly lovely too, I like that subtle sweet smell~

Thank you so much guys~! I'm glad I have this lovely spray in my arsenal of keeping my cosplays amazing and functional! <3

char99char
10-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the thread! I will say it does take a good 48 hours or so to dry - and does look stringy and gross in the meantime - but so far any tangles can be finger combed out. I'm wearing the wig this weekend outside so I'll see how it does!

Nakora
10-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks for all the info!

So what happens is that I take everything into account and after my first 2 times wearing my wig, I noticed that it got VERY tangled (first time wearing a long wig) so I decided that Motions would be a good preventative measure.

I bought it and sprayed it out. Problem is that I think I sprayed too much and so literally the fibers were drenched in the stuff so by the end of 72 hours it was still stringy and gross-- hence I start panicking.

I've been trying to wash it out or at least soak the bottom half (where I sprayed) with water to get the excess out but whenever it dries it still looks clumpy, stringy and gross.

Help? Please?

KimDao
10-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I have that product. I bought it sometime last year to detangle my Sailor Moon wig. I haven't got time to do it properly yet but this product does work!

Kukkii-san
10-29-2009, 04:06 PM
@Nakora
Have you tried blow-drying it?

Or if you do want to wash it out, you'll need to use soap / shampoo, water alone does not dissolve oil.

Nakora
10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I've blow-tried it after I soaked it, though not before.

Apparently, I've tried it with a little bit of soap and shampoo but it's still slightly stringy and oily-looking. Honestly, I think I've forgotten how it looked like in the beginning.

With the soaking, I was just trying to get off the excess oil that caused the clumping.

CosmosFox
11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
So I've sprayed down my 51 inch beast tonite and I shall post a before and after pic once it's dry. Stay tuned.

halfdemongurl
12-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Okay. So I know you heard this about a gazillion times but thank you for making this tutorial. My Duo Maxwell Will was a mess from the rave... and well decided oh lets take out the braid and restyle it for the January con coming up... well that didn't go so well, i tried running my finger through, using a brush, using a comb nothing! so finally I think I lost a screw and decided I'm going to cut out the knots >< Well my wig looked like a rats nest so there was no point on continuing that journey. So I threw it in the bathtub and was like "screw it conditioner time" then I rinsed it and I know it's going to be horrid... So I'm definitely going to WalMart this coming weekend XD

I thought I wasn't going to be able to use my wig ><

xDanceWaterx
03-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I just now coated mine with this stuff. I used your word 'liberally' very...uh...liberally. xD I thought I wasn't going to stop spraying but I wanted to be safe. And it smells so goooooooood. But it's kind of...dry feeling now, I dunno. I'll let it sit for a good while then comb it out. My fingers feel greasy now. xD

jianna
04-01-2010, 01:55 AM
So, yesterday I treated my Miku pigtails with Motions Oil Sheen, sprayed liberally and combed it through and left to dry. 24 hours later they still have that stringy, gross look! I know the original review left it for 48 hours, but I can't help but be worried. Should I be? Has anyone ever had to wash this stuff out?

Zeat Project
04-18-2010, 04:35 AM
If you want to wash it out, you can. I would just use some old towels and gently squeeze the excess oil sheen from it. That's what I did.

~Shana~
05-15-2010, 12:58 AM
I really want to use this stuff but tomorrow morning I have a cosplay picnic I have to go to. Should I wait until another time to use it? I have the can sitting right next to me but I'm afraid of the stringy look, I don't want my wig to be destroyed tomorrow.

EllieCoffin
05-26-2010, 06:53 PM
OK I'm reading through this thread and I'm wondering if it'll also work on curly wigs. I wore my wig once for about an hour to test and it became fuzzy and the curls kinda fell a bit will this work to detangle on it and reset the curls? Because if that doesn't work I'm most likely going to straighten it with the hot water method.

Bombgirl
06-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Even though I'm sure you've heard this already, thank you so much for posting this tutorial! I was able to revive an old wig of mine that I thought could never be fixed. I took some pictures along the way to show how much this process really works!

Before & After:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2577996/

Finished Product:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2578011/

Thanks so much again!

Eeri-chan
06-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Does it also make it any less staticy? My Grell wig is, of course, very long, and other than getting really tangled, it also is incredibly staticy and keeps sticking to my skin.

lolalicious
08-01-2010, 02:08 AM
So, I have this wig, about medium-length, for my Blair (Soul Eater) cosplay, and it's in fine condition.. I just want to prevent it from frizzing out and tangling, as well as make it soft and more life-like. Should I use Motions or the 3-in-one Silicon spray??

HeartHetalia
09-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Does it also make it any less staticy? My Grell wig is, of course, very long, and other than getting really tangled, it also is incredibly staticy and keeps sticking to my skin.

I know it's not really a permanent solution but I know that lotion helps with static. (Assuming that Oil Sheen doesn't get rid of static. It might) But I had a wig a while back that was a static monster! I just attacked it with some static spray (The kind you put on skirts or pants to stop the cling) and kept some lotion on hand to rub onto it if it got too clingy. Plus, it smells good ^^
Also, I'm not sure about the quality of your wig but it may be that. Mine was a cheap Halloween store one I got in a pinch. My newer nicer ones don't seem to stick as much.

Kimiki0
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM

I'm not sure if it would help with the static since I have yet to try Motions or Mane N Tail, but have you tried 'petting' it with a dryer sheet? It works great for my Sesshomaru wig. I would also recommend sticking a sheet in your pocket or bag just in case it you need it while wearing your wig.

xsongmihix
10-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Even though I'm sure you've heard this already, thank you so much for posting this tutorial! I was able to revive an old wig of mine that I thought could never be fixed. I took some pictures along the way to show how much this process really works!

Before & After:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2577996/

Finished Product:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2578011/

Thanks so much again!

Wow! A picture really is worth a thousand words...

Well, that settles it. After reading this thread and seeing these pics, I think I'm off to the store to get a can for myself! My Miku Zatsune pigtails are in decent shape, but I haven't worn them for any extended period of time yet... tried combing them out though, and ended up with some minor snarls at the end of one of them '~') So I just braided them and carefully stored them back in their little mesh bags and left them there, afraid to take them out and risk tangling them further.

I think once I've tried it, I'll post before and after pics. Hopefully I get the same sort of awesome results! x(^o^)x *crosses fingers*

Zebra Unicorn
02-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I know this thread is like...4 months old and all, but I've kept it bookmarked for reference.
I recently just got my Hatsune Miku wig about 2 days ago, and wanted to treat it with this Motions oil stuff to keep it neat, considering the ponytails are four feet long ^w^;

I wanted to know if this is the right stuff, since it's what they had at the store by my house:
http://www.hairsareus.com/image/cache/data/Hair%20care%20items/MotionsOilSheenConditioningSpray-500x500.jpg

If it is, would you recommend treating my Miku ponytails with it just as a minor preventative measure? They're Kanekalon fibers, and they've only gotten one knot in them that was cut out. I currently have them back in their bags, afraid of leaving them out hanging.

Kobii Kun
03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
So, I managed to get this Motions Oil Sheen and Conditioning Spray!

I have an old, monster of a pink wig that was used once for a Lucy cosplay, and I'd hate to just let it go to waste, so I just sprayed it down about 15 minutes ago.

Before:
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ZebraUnicorns/Project%20Beasty/Before2.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ZebraUnicorns/Project%20Beasty/Before3.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ZebraUnicorns/Project%20Beasty/Before.jpg

It gets tangled just by running my fingers through it. Sad, right? I think so.

Directly After Spraying:
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ZebraUnicorns/Project%20Beasty/AfterSpraying4.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ZebraUnicorns/Project%20Beasty/AfterSpraying3.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ZebraUnicorns/Project%20Beasty/AfterSpraying2.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/ZebraUnicorns/Project%20Beasty/AfterSpraying.jpg

It definitely got that stringy, oily look, so I assume that means I did it right, lol. The spray actually did smell pretty good, and it wasn't very oily on my fingers, though I sprayed liberally. Like, over and over XD

So I pinned the wig head down to a cardboard box lid, and set that on a table in the spare bedroom. I'm going to let it sit until Sunday or Monday, and see how it is. I'll post some pictures of how it looks, then. c:

This is all really just a pre-test to see how this stuff works before I use it on my Miku ponytails.~

NiwaNiwa
03-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I tried it out...

i think i used too much because my wig turned into a puffball TT3TT

Kobii Kun
03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I tried it out...

i think i used too much because my wig turned into a puffball TT3TT

Mine, more than a month later, is still stringy and knotty. It's almost worse. I'm most definitely NOT using this on my $65 Miku wig... :I
I don't think this stuff works on every wig...