PDA

View Full Version : I.n.v.u.

Velvy
05-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Wow wow--this is a great manga! The artwork reminds me of a cross between Paradise Kiss and Peach Girl.

The storyline's more comlex than what I've read in the past--mostly because it's not one person's perspective (like in Paradise Kiss--Yukari, and Peach Girl--Momo), but many different perspectives interwined. But the use of 3rd (really 1st since it's a manga) person omniscient makes it a lot more interesting.

There's also a brief but shiny moment for cosplay when Jae Eun is cosplaying a Digi-Charat character. I hope to see more of that in the future (maybe they'll feature a con as their setting).

All in all, I'm really into it. Anyone else read it? ^_^

Umi
05-04-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm completely obsessed with it. I just happened to pick it up at the bookstore because the cover art looked interesting and flipped through a couple of pages and was hooked so I had to buy it. *waits impatiently for the next volume to be released*

I like the artwork too. It's a bit exaggerated but it works. The story is really addictive and I find it really refreshing compared to some of the other stuff that's around.

And yeah the cosplay reference was cute. She makes a good Rabi~en~Rose ^^

number18
05-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Oh, what a nice thread to find. I was going to buy #1 at Anime Boston but the woman behind the table was like "that's pretty alright" in a semi-enthusiastic tone...but she said that after talking about how awesome Peach Girl was. So I ended up not getting it cause I had already bought the Megatokyo manga and The Big O #1 and a whole lotta keychains. Hehe...

So good. I'm gonna buy it now. ^^ Have any of you read Happy Mania? It seems similar to INVU but I don't know much about it other than the artwork is pretty too.

Velvy
05-04-2003, 08:24 PM
I bought Happy Mania a few weeks ago. Very "Sex In The City" ish. I don't know if I'll be getting more though (it's only because the main character gets on my nerves XD). But you're right, there's a strong similarity between the artwork in Happy Mania and I.N.V.U.

Hotaru's Sister
05-04-2003, 09:26 PM
I saw Happy Mania last week but I decided not to get it. It just didn't look like my kinda story.

I do really like I.N.V.U (my sis calls it in-voo :p ).The artwork gets very off in a few panels but over all it works well and there are also many really nice panels to blaance it out. I think the verying art flows well with the story.

Velvy
05-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Yeah, it's a refreshing change, since it's a Korean manga, and their panels are a bit different (I had to backtrack sometimes because I didn't read in order), but it's not radically different. :)

number18
05-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Oh? How are their panels different?

I heard Happy Mania was very Sex in the City. I'm also interested in the Erika Suruzawa (or whatever the last name is) books that she's gonna put out. Again, it seems like INVU and Happy Mania...

It's amusing in a way that Tokyopop seems to be putting out older women's manga. Hehe...kind of cool.

Something Lulu
05-07-2003, 12:11 PM
I.N.V.U. is refreshing in that it's different from a lot of Japanese mangas, since it's not Japanese lol. Because it's Korean it has different cultural references and themes. But the artwork is really pretty, and the story...a little weird, but engaging. The second one should be out soon, I think. And I was so happy to see that one of the main characters is a cosplayer. ^_^

number18
05-07-2003, 03:32 PM
One of them is a cosplayer? Uh oh. I think that did it. I WILL be getting INVU now. mwuahaa...

-.-;

Hotaru's Sister
05-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by number18
One of them is a cosplayer? Uh oh. I think that did it. I WILL be getting INVU now. mwuahaa...

-.-;

*nod nod* It's only one or two panels, but one of the characters is wearing a Rabi En Rose costume and mentions cosplay.

rpd_girl
05-08-2003, 08:44 AM
I got it back in February... when does the new one come out? I haven't seen it anywhere.

I really really liked it. I have been looking for something along the lines of Peach Girl (I just updated my site... ^_^)... the story is a bit bizzare... but I love it none the less.

Anyone read Happy Mania? I got book one, haven't finished it yet... reminds me of Sex in the City (with a stress on sex)

KuroBara
05-08-2003, 09:06 AM
The second one came out on Tuesday. I'm hooked, it's holding me over until Paradise Kiss 5. The only thing I dislike is the jumpiness of it, the story moves pretty fast.

Plus, there's a cosplaying character! I haven't read Happy Mania, how graphic is the sex? The plastic wrap worries me! I think the first Erica Sakuraza (sp?) Works comes out this month too, that looks good.

Aah, shoujo.

rpd_girl
05-08-2003, 09:23 AM
well.. how old are you? I would really honestly advise against it for under people 18. I just started it... but flipping through it there is alot of nudity and "intercourse", nothing horribly graphic, but enough to offend some people. Although I've seen hardcore hentai on the shelves next to sailormoon at Walden Books.... because the stockbiys don't know the difference I guess.

But, it is written from the female perspective.. and it isn't really "fan service" at all... from what I can say so far. I'll keep you posted... and we'll see if I go on to book 2! ^_^

I do agree, I was amazed at how much was packed into volume 1 of I.N.V.U! It was just zoomin' along! I commented on that right away... things that I thought would take the whole series to come out happened beofre I got half way through!

Something Lulu
05-08-2003, 11:05 PM
rpd_girl: Just checked the updates at your site...and it makes me want to run and grab Peach Girl: CoH #2 out of my bag. ^_^ (I bought it today despite not being able ot really afford it but haven't even opened it yet.) I still have that picture on my desktop in case you were wondering lol. It's just too cute!

Happy Mania seems interesting, and since I'm hearing good things about it I think I'll check it out once I catch up with all the other mangas I've been reading. (I.N.V.U. #2, Love Hina #10, and lots more. I'm waiting until all the bills are paid and then splurging on manga. ^_^)

rpd_girl
05-08-2003, 11:17 PM
waaaa... my new peach girl didn't come in yet... nor did my INVU!!! man... B&N is so slow even when I preorder... the only reason I get stuff there in my discount. *sigh* I can't wait!

Something Lulu
05-09-2003, 12:01 AM
lol I work at B&N so I have the same problem. It takes a while for the warehouses to get manga so I just keep checking them. Peach Girl FINALLY came in today so I picked it up.

KuroBara
05-09-2003, 11:25 AM
>well.. how old are you?

20, but I'm not terribly interested in stories that focus on sex. Hmm...I have enough manga for a while, I need to get to a bookstore for INVU 2, Fake 1, and Battle Royale 1.

rpd_girl
05-12-2003, 11:29 PM
ok, yeah... I finished Happy Mania... and well... er... it's ok. Alot of the "scenes" are a bit confusing... like one second she's on the phone, and the next she's having sex... I'm like.. whoa, wait, what?

The main character is pretty funny to me.. she reminds me of alot of people combined, including myself (not the slutty part, I assure you), but to an extreme. She's VERY unrealistic, and familiar at the same time. It is just... well.... really extreme is all I can say.

I reccomend it just to check it out... but I don't see myself getting into it... I just want to slap some morality into the main character! I mean 4 different partners in just the first issue! Come one now people....

KuroBara
05-13-2003, 08:43 AM
4 people in one issue? Hmm...I'll wait and see if any of my friends buy it.

Back on topic, INVU #2 was good. Still moving just as fast as the first one. That's nice, since it'll only be 4 books. I like series that are light on my wallet.

rpd_girl
05-13-2003, 11:53 AM
awesome... I was wondering how many book they'll be... I allways try and see before I buy so I don't go getting 3 bookis into it and seeing it'll be 27 books! I ordered book 2, it's not in yet! :( I ca't wait. I just finished Peach Girl 10, and man.... I need a fix before 11. Can't wait till July.

Velvy
05-15-2003, 12:36 AM
I sort of spoiled myself in a sense by reading the summary on Tokyopop of Peach Girl: Change Of Heart #4. ^_^; But that's all right--just a bit of warning to ppl who don't want to be spoiled. As for I.N.V.U., I'm very surprised to find that it's only 4 Books long. O.o

KuroBara
05-15-2003, 07:41 AM
There may be more, but 4 is all that they have listed on the INVU page. It moves so fast, but 4 volumes will probably cut off the ending or rush it.