PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Game Show 2007 / 東京ゲームショウ2007

Michi
07-13-2007, 08:41 AM
It looks like there was a good sized Cosplay.com turn-out for last year's TGS, so I'm hoping to recreate that with a thread for this year. :)

TGS will probably be the first event I attend once I get to Japan at the end of August. For those interested, it's this September 22-23 (well, the public days are those dates!) in Tokyo. I'll probably only be attending on Saturday the 22nd because there's a concert I want to go to on the 23rd. :bigtu: But if I end up going to a different showing, I'll likely spend Sunday at TGS too.

Anyway, who else is going? :D I'm considering cosplaying for a bit too, probably either from The King of Fighters or THE IDOLM@STER.

今すごく疲れているから、日本語で書いてのはちょっと難しいなんです。 後でもっと使う、約束 ですよ!

nightko
07-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I plan to go, I need to check out the new games and this year should be more crowded than last year.

Michi
07-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Aside from event attendance naturally growing larger over the years, is there any special reason you think it'll be more crowded?

I'm really looking forward to it, as it's my first time in Japan and therefore my first TGS!

nightko
07-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Because E3 has shrink in size, Tokyo Game Show now become the world largest gaming event. Plus, they added one more day for media, making it more worthwhile investment for companies to show their games.

Seeing this year's E3, there are many things missing. Tecmo is not even attending. I expect lots of announcement to be made in this year's TGS. This year has the highest number of companies attending TGS, and more games will be shown this year. I also expect things that was supposed to be in E3 will be in this year TGS.

Michi
07-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Oooh, good point! That does make sense, now that I'm remembering they added a media day. Hmmm. Now I'm looking forward to it even more! :) Well, not that I like crowds, but it'll definitely be a great treat to attend.

piinku
07-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Has anyone cosplayed at TGS before? I'd love to go down for it, since will be visiting home (and attending Fan Expo in Toronto! :D) during summer Comiket. I know this is a huge and general question, but does anyone that has attended a recent TGS and possibly Comiket have anything to say about cosplay in general at TGS? Do a fair amount of people cosplay there? I attended last year winter Comiket, so would some comparisons to get a general idea of cosplay at TGS would be very much appreciated...

nightko
07-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Well, cosplay at TGS is at the alley between the halls only where cosplayers just stand by the walls of both sides and photographer lined up for their photos. It is a 1 to 1 photoshoot in general.

I don't think the size can be compared to comicket, as cosplay is just at the 2 alleys available there.

Michi
07-16-2007, 05:35 PM
As I heard in the last TGS thread that there's the changing room and then a small cosplay area, I was considering just cosplaying for a little while and then going back to take pictures, and then return to the show itself. :3

katrinastrife has galleries of the past two TGS events with cosplayers at the top of her album page here:
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?member=814&cat=500

Killmesarah
07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Going to this... would be so AWESOME!! The only thing is, I doubt my Ekaiwa would be willing to give me off on a Saturday, only two weeks after I start working there... hmm.. maybe Sunday?
I'll keep you updated =3

Michi
07-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Think you'd cosplay any, Sarah? :x

Michi
08-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Bumping! So I was looking at the site and was wondering if anyone knew much about how registration works.
It seems you need to send in your form + cash ahead of time, but do they then send you back tickets or do you pick them up (like with ID?) at the door? I'm also wondering if I should be using the overseas visitor form. I'll be living in Japan at the time, but obviously won't exactly be a Japanese citizen either. The Japanese side of the ticketing page gives lots of options, like going to a Lawsons store. Any tips?

Also, is it good to go both days? Or is one enough? As I mentioned before... There's a concert I'm going to try and get tickets for on Sunday night in Yokohama, and I'm wondering if I should spend the second day at TGS or just leave early Sunday to run around Yokohama all day beforehand first.

nightko
08-06-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm not too sure about cosplay, but for general visitors, you don't need to send in your form/cash.
You can buy tickets at door (1200 Yen)
Or buy it advance so that it is cheaper (1000 Yen)

From what I'ven seen, 9 out of 10 people already bought their tickets in advance. ('cause it is cheaper) I bought mine in advance too in one of the shops in Japan. I never use that visitor form thing on that site. It seems it is for visitors that don't know Japanese. And it seems it is mainly for people in the industry. When you buy tickets in Japan, you don't need to fill out any form, they just hand you the tickets when you buy them in any of the listed shops.

I personally don't think 2 days is even enough. When they say 10am to 5pm, it really means 5pm sharp, everyting close at 5pm. So when there are so many demos and lineup everywhere where Devil May Cry 4 last year had 3 hours of lineup at some point, that really is not enough. But then, if you just want to see how it is and cosplay for a while, then it might be different.

But I have to ask too... so anyone has filled out that form and just go there on the second floor and pay only 1000Yen at door before?

Michi
08-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I guess that would explain it, that the form is for people with no idea what to do otherwise. It kinda sucks that the English version of the site doesn't really so much translate the site as just cater to, well, English speakers outside of Japan. I was hoping it'd just be easier instead of me sitting there and translating the Japanese site, haha.

Er, the form I was looking up had nothing to do with cosplay, it was just the really poor information on the English site. I know the price differences for the tickets, which is why I really want to do do it in advance. I also know about picking up tickets at stores, haha, since I have to do that for the concerts I want to go to. ;) This is just me being annoyed at the site not giving much information.

I don't think it's worth it for me to bother with the English language form. Too much hassle.

I think I'm gonna do both days at TGS and leave sometime in the afternoon on Sunday. :)

...I guess the bottom line is that I'll worry about buying tickets in a couple of weeks once I arrive in Japan, heehee.

Killmesarah
08-17-2007, 12:21 AM
I just looked at the dates to confirm, and I dunno if anyone noticed, but the 23rd (Sunday) is Autumn Equinox day! lol, what that means to ME at least, is that I will not have to work, cause it's a national holiday.
YAY! Look like I'm going to this on Sunday. See you there!

Michi
08-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I guess I'll wear Shingo on Sunday then? :) Well, once I figure out my concert plans for that day, haha.

Killmesarah
08-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I guess I'll wear Shingo on Sunday then? :) Well, once I figure out my concert plans for that day, haha.

Everything closes at 4 anyways, so it's just a matter of getting the heck outta there in a reasonable amount of time.
I'm so excited!! ^o^

Michi
08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, but if the evening concert in Yokohama turns out too late for me to get home, I'm gonna wanna attend the earlier one... which is at 1:30, meaning I'd have to book it out of TGS by 11:30ish to take the train from there to Minatomirai Station. D:

Theeeeeen again this all matters on which concert I get tickets for, since I haven't decided between the previous weekend and this one yet. Rambleramble I am gonna be busy in Japan. T_T

Shirayuki
08-26-2007, 06:27 AM
Also interested! Anyone know like the event schedules? I couldn't find it on the site.

Michi
08-27-2007, 02:27 AM
I don't think there's an event schedule yet. :(

nightko
08-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Also interested! Anyone know like the event schedules? I couldn't find it on the site.

To 白雪:
Apart from the the business event schedule of TGS, the official website won't post any event schedule of all the individual companies. There are just too many and each has its own schedule and some may not be confirmed until TGS. (Or serve as a surprise maybe) Even on the day of TGS, the program book you got might list something like 30% possible showing etc.

You may find individual event schedule of each company on their website if they are ready to release it. For example, SNK has theirs listed already:

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/event/tgs2007/tgs.html

There usually is an event time table on each of the companies' booth there on the day of TGS though. That one should always be the most updated one. I usually snap a photo of it and check them in my camera.

Michi
09-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Omg, SNK's booth schedule looks amazing. Harumi Ikoma!! Haruna Ikezawa!! Masahiro Nonaka!! Kunihiko Yasui! I will so be at that booth on Sunday morning. Wowww. ...Though I worry it may be too late to get a hotel now.

Wait, is that cosplay contest at the SNK booth free to whoever? ...Double reason for my Shingo costume, maybe...! (Too bad I didn't bring my more-impressive-than-Shingo Athena '96 costume to Japan.)

nightko
09-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I think it is free, in 2004, you go to their registration table, fill the form and enter. Though you need to spend time there. I forgot which year but SNK has cosplayers playing KOF against each other too. SNK also hire cosplayers. :)

I forgot which year, last year or the one before they have Athena, RYo, etc seiyuu there as well. It is the USUAL thing for SNK. :) To me, SNK booth is always with activities more than their games. Last year it was Mai and Athena cosplayers. But the 2 are hired I think, I saw both of them in the news again in another promotion (not SNK).

From what I've seen, the less attractive games usually will have more show/activites going on in their booth. Mobile games has more/better goodies given out if you try out, and they have performers sing/dance etc.
Whereas the more impressive games have the developer showing off the latest development.

Btw, Capcom TGS Site is online:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/event/tgs_2007/

nightko
09-06-2007, 04:20 AM
I just looked at the dates to confirm, and I dunno if anyone noticed, but the 23rd (Sunday) is Autumn Equinox day! lol, what that means to ME at least, is that I will not have to work, cause it's a national holiday.
YAY! Look like I'm going to this on Sunday. See you there!

Is 24th Sept then be a national holiday as well?

Michi
09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
In some places. My college is closed on that following Monday, haha. Good for me, since that weekend will be so busy.

[edit]

TICKETS BOUGHT YAY and I think some friends from school are going with me, yay.

Michi
09-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Time to spam the thread some more. Okay, so I'm going both days but leaving a little early on Sunday. On Saturday I intend to wear Haruka from THE IDOLM@STER in the cosplay area for a bit, and then on Sunday I wanna wear my Shingo costume from KOF. But otherwise I'll be stalking the Square Enix booth because of their Dragon Quest stuff and the SNK Playmore booth for their KOF stuff and seiyuu events.
I'd love to meet up with people, too! I'll mostly be in a group with four other white girls, haha, so maybe we'll stand out.

nightko
09-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Then you girls will be so easy to find! :)
I am completely the opposite. I am Chinese, I won't cosplay there, I don't think I will stand out from all the Japanese and other Asian there (esp many more Chinese). I mostly will be in Hall 4 to 6 to check out SONY, TECMO, SEGA, Konami, Bandai Namco. Will go to Hall 3 to check out Square Enix, Capcom, Level 5 a bit and SNK as well. Then is the cosplay area, shopping area. :P So many things to do, so little time, so long the line up are as always.

This year, my hotel is in the center of most places I want to visit, including TGS. So I will try to get there even earlier than previous year. For anyone that is their 1st time, shows starts at 10am but I think they start letting people in at 9am, and try to be there as the line up to get in is very long. For trying out demo, you can check the big sign for each lineup for the estimate time for your wait. And if you don't have a ticket yet, buy the ticket first before you line up to get in since the big line up is just to get in. Almost 99% of people there already bought their ticket in advance.

I will have my NDSL with me, PictoChat ON as I don't find anyone there making good use of it. I will change my DS name to Nightko when I get there. Also, again I will be at the BIG HUGE Tokyo Game Show 2007 sign when you exit the show floor on the second floor to take pictures and chat with people. I will snap some shots of some SNK characters if SNK do display their characters like the past 3 years on the way you get in the show floor.

Michi, I think Monday is a holiday is a good thing to me too. Since I want to check out Square Enix Character Show Case Shop. Although Square will sell stuff at TGS, but I want to see some of the exhibits in that shop. It only opens on weekends and national holidays. :) I still don't really understand where exactly is the closest train station to get there though. Anyone want to joint? :P

Michi
09-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Oh, good idea! I'll have my DS with me just in case. My name on there is Michi anyway.

Ugh, I didn't even think of shopping. I spent a lot this weekend because I went and saw Maki Goto in concert on Saturday, blahhh. There goes all my money.

The Square Enix Showcase is pretty neat; I went there last weekend. :bigtu: It's not very big, but they have a nice selection if you're into toys, collectibles, plushies, and um, really expensive recreation jewelry. Then there's the Sephiroth display in the floor in the top section, haha.

nightko
09-17-2007, 03:26 AM
So looks like you've been to a lot place in Japan now Michi. :) BTW, have you seen any shops that still have FFVII Crisis Core PSP bundle in Japan yet? (Could you PM me if you have. Super ありがとうございます。 I REALLY X 100 want that bundle :P)

My S.O.S. fan is from TGS last year since they pre-sold it there. The store didn't have it back yet. Although so far I don't see anything interesting I will buy at TGS yet. But I'm sure my $ will somehow land into the shops in Japan.

Btw, anyone know if camera bought in Japan has English manual? I'm still thinking if I should get mine in Canada (with the extra heavy tax) or get one in Japan.

Michi
09-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Sometimes you can find products with English manuals. I bought my webcam in Akihabara, and it came with manuals in several languages. :bigtu:

Haha yeah, I've been in Japan almost three weeks now, and I've gone out a lot. I've spent the last two weekends going to places in Kanagawa and then Tokyo. I'm helping my group plot out our train path to Chiba for the weekend, since I've got a lot of long distance train practice now. :rofl:

I dunno if I've seen that bundle yet, though I've seen it advertised a bunch. I might be going to Tokyo again before TGS, and if so then I'll tell you what I see. If not, uh... Good luck. XD; Maybe it'd be at TGS?

Is there anywhere you can see what kind of merchandise will be at Tokyo Game Show? I can't imagine I'd want anything beyond slime stuff (ugh I've already bought three slime plushies, a slime mirror, a slime pencil case... etc etc..) and maybe some KOF related goodies... but yeah.

nightko
09-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Super Thanks Michi!
Normally I found out what they will be selling through email newsletter of each company. But usually it will be on the company's website. You have to really "hunt" for the information to find out. :P

Take SNK for example, here's what they will have:
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/event/tgs2007_buppan/index.html

A bit of Square Enix:
http://www.chocobo.com/goods.html
(I still need to search over their site to see if they have FFVII PSP thing...:lost: )

I usually saved the buying thing to the last, just go to the last 3 halls that sell stuff to exchange goods and services. Oh, wait just goods.

I am still digging into every companies' web site to get any tentative time table info they have. Already I have a feeling several booth will be too jam packed and they will not allow more people to "get in". They usually will have staff that form a line and ask people to "move on" while behind them are a big crowd.

Michi
09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh god, the amount of Doki Majo stuff from SNK Playmore makes me sad (even though in a morbid way I kinda want that t-shirt because it's so inappropriate). Only thing that really appeals to me is that cute Days of Memories "mug cup" design, hehe. We'll see when I get there, I suppose!

nightko
09-18-2007, 06:50 AM
There should be more than that they are selling. Just like all the other companies, they are not showing everything online. There are too many.

Oh, wow, can't believe it. Tomorrow, I will go to Tokyo. :)

Michi
09-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Heehee, have a safe trip! I have classes to worry about until TGS, hahaha. I also need to fix up my IM@S costume.

nightko
09-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Hey thanks Michi! ^^
I think most of my Saturaday morning will be at the Bandai Namco booth.
(Haruhi-ism...)

I will check out the cosplay alley once in a while. See you or everyone there!
So excited. >_< V

Michi
09-20-2007, 03:45 AM
Does anyone know if cameras aren't allowed outside of the cosplay area? I heard that recently and it worries me because I was looking forward to taking pictures of the displays.

Shirayuki
09-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Yay tickets bought a few days ago. I'm going tomorrow (saturday) with my sister and some of her friends and I have no plans whatsoever so I'll probably just be lost most of the time @.@ But I'm definitely going to check out Square Enix, Bandai, Sony, and Konami AND COSPLAY and shopping? @.@ I hope I'd be able to make it through all of that in time GAH! So I guess that means halls 3 to 6 for me? (not that I have a map or anything so I'll just be lost anyway @.@ Uguu...) I want to cosplay sooo much but I don't have any costumes with me and I don't even think it's that cosplay friendly of a con anyway so yea. :O W00T~ Hope everyone'll have fun :D

Michi
09-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I want to cosplay sooo much but I don't have any costumes with me and I don't even think it's that cosplay friendly of a con anyway so yea.

There's a cosplay specific area set aside, so I can't imagine it's unfriendly to the idea. :bigtu: I'm bringing a costume to wear just for a little bit and then return to the rest of the events. :)

mixaka
09-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I just found out that I'll be attending tgs on Sunday. As its so last minute, I don't have time to pull together a costume, but I'll definitely be around to take some pics!

Michi
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Today was so exhausting but so much fun. I found other IDOLM@STER cosplayers and was so happy. :D Tons of KOF ones too, so I hope they'll still be around tomorrow when I wear Shingo.

The event itself is intense. Today I was able to see where everything is (and buy a Days of Memories mug) and tomorrow I may brave some lines to play some demos. :F

Michi
09-24-2007, 09:40 AM
No posts for after-event feelings? I had a really good time overall! I wore Shingo yesterday (Sunday) for just a little bit, and actually had time to play some demos and go to a panel. :)

I posted my cosplay photo gallery from TGS here:
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=90945&member=31

Enjoy!

pella_rose
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
awww my friends who are in Japan went to the convention and took pictures! i wish i could have gone.
Does any one know if there will be anything of that sort in June? (thats when i will be in japan)

mixaka
09-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I had a great time! Got a bunch of free stuff, played a lot of great demos (one of which I can now conveniently play on my cell phone), and saw some incredible cosplay. Didn't get as many pictures as I was hoping to, but here are the few I managed to take:
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=91171&member=56491

Good times!

Michi
09-26-2007, 05:29 AM
played a lot of great demos (one of which I can now conveniently play on my cell phone)

Man I was supposed to get a cell phone the DAY before TGS and never did. I so wish I had, so that I could've downloaded some demos to my phone. :(!!

mixaka
09-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh, that sucks! There were so many interesting things you could do with a cell phone while there. Even a cell phone picture taking game thing you could play for prizes at the Cykan booth. My only regret is that I missed out on getting one of the DS demos of Level 5's new puzzle game (and that I didn't get to cosplay).

Also, I really think you should check out this article on TGS:
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nc20070926a1.html

(notice anything interesting? :bigtu: )

Michi
09-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Oh damn, I even had my DS with me and could've played demos. I didn't even think about downloadable content for some reason...

---Hey, hahaha. XD That's super cool, thank you for sharing that!! Hahaha. That made my late night/morning. :bigtu:

nightko
09-28-2007, 03:15 AM
I just got back! So many things. Don't know where to start.
I had a good time on DS pictochat with the Japanese Otaku with my limited Japanese. (During the line up) :) Fun.

Even though I got there early on Sunday, Square Enix line up was crazy already. I skipped it since I only cared most about FFXIII and I had seen the video at SONY Theatre the day before. Quite suprised that Bio Hazard Umberalla Chronicle lineup was only 35mins. So I got in and watched as the staff erased and added 5 mins to the lineup board every 5 seconds. Quickly it added up to 60mins waiting already within 5 mins I lined up.

Oh, and Level 5 Lineup was crazy too. Anyway, I got lots of goodies from TGS and I threw away a lot as well and my luggage was just under the weight limit.

Michi, I think I saw your far back on Saturday while I was in the lineup for the Haruhi PSP game in the Namco Bandai booth.

Roleplayer
10-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Hey Michi,
Just came across this thread then. I live in Saitama-ken too! Near Toubutsu-doubutsu koen.
Are you a JET? (If you are we may have met at orientation!) I just came to Japan recently too as an English teacher
Either way, small world! :)
I was at the tokyo game show too, hanging out with my friends from Western Australia. One of my good friends Velithya was cosplaying as Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear and Axel from Kingdom hearts 2. You may have seen us at the western australia booth! ;)
Us, I had no costume sadly :(
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1287139
Tokyo Game show was a lot of fun (but very triring!)
We should meet up sometime for a coffee or something if you live in a close part of Saitama!

Catchya around!

--Aaron

Michi
10-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Actually, I'm here as a student at Tokyo International University, not as a teacher. :) Though, I wouldn't mind returning someday for a teaching position. A lot of my friends have done programs such as and similar to JET.

I saw your friends in their Guilty Gear costumes, yes! I think that was Sunday? I wasn't in the cosplay area as long then, but I was surprised to see other foreign cosplayers with the Guilty Gear group I saw.

I'm on the western side of Saitama near Kawagoe right now. I'm not really sure where your location is, as I've never heard of that kouen. :(

Roleplayer
10-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Ah, I'm Eastern Side. My train line runs straight to Ueno (after like...an hour and a half :P) I'm on the Tokyo-Metro Hibiya Line.
Sp about an hour between us. Omiya seems to be our mutually connecting station.
we should meet up sometime and discuss anime and Japan some weekend in the future if you want :)
I haven't really had a chance to see any anime/manga loving people since I arrived, or talk in English, for that matter ;)
I hope I haven't forgotten how ;)

--Aaron

Michi
10-06-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm almost in the boonies so I have to switch lines whenever I want to go to Tokyo. XD But it's not too bad. I haven't actually been to Omiya yet, so it might be fun to get the chance to check it out anyway.

Haha, I might be a disappointment, because my love for anime/manga is rather cynical these days since I'm an old fan (well, relative to most of the current community, since I've got 10 years while I know people that have 20-30 dating back to Robotech or earlier...). You can PM me sometime to maybe figure out something, but I have midterms at school right now so my time is a bit limited at the moment. :/

Roleplayer
10-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Heh. I'm 25 and have been watching anime since I started watching Robotech and Starblazers in the late 80s ;) So I'm no spring chicken myself!

Yeah I'm pretty busy myself with teaching (I teach at 小学校, so I am always worn out by the week's end. 8 year olds are really tiring! So much Hokey Pokey and Kagome Kagome. Tho they dig the lessons I teach them dressed as Kakashi.)

But meeting up was just an idea if you had a free weekend sometime. :)
I like to meet as many new people as I can! Friend networks are important in a foriegn country!
If nothing else we'll probably meet at comiket and Jump festa.

keep it real!

--Aaron