PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Cosplay Parties.

DCAnime
07-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Alright Folks,

Need some advice on Cosplay Parties.

What exactly do Cosplayers want from a Cosplay Party.

What kind of activities,events and fun stuff do Cosplayers want from a Cosplay Party?

Currently Planning one now.

Lumasnati
07-14-2007, 09:10 PM
A cosplay party should consist of:

Games:
-Who's Line is it Anyway? Impromptu games are always fun. Take Hallowcon as an example. We had a BLAST doing random impromtu games. :3

Food:

Chips and Soda is nice... but have everyone contribute something... and have the host order pizza, chinese, japanese... or even grill or cook something yourself... Make sure it's cosplay friendly... o.o; White + Red Pizza makes for an interesting fight. XD
Or even go fancy and make it a formal dinner where everyone sits down to eat... like a Thanksgiving kinda thing.

Cosplay contests are also fun. Best costume at the party usually gets something nice and then you have two runners up.

Then at the end... have some sort of Rave.

DCAnime
07-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. what say the rest of you?

What would you like to see at a Cosplay Party?

Keep the advice/comments coming.

The Announcement for the Cosplay Party will be coming soon BTW.

A cosplay party should consist of:

Games:
-Who's Line is it Anyway? Impromptu games are always fun. Take Hallowcon as an example. We had a BLAST doing random impromtu games. :3

Food:

Chips and Soda is nice... but have everyone contribute something... and have the host order pizza, chinese, japanese... or even grill or cook something yourself... Make sure it's cosplay friendly... o.o; White + Red Pizza makes for an interesting fight. XD
Or even go fancy and make it a formal dinner where everyone sits down to eat... like a Thanksgiving kinda thing.

Cosplay contests are also fun. Best costume at the party usually gets something nice and then you have two runners up.

Then at the end... have some sort of Rave.

NecromanticChii
07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
For the food, so it doesn't strain everyone involved, have a sign up sheet (Like for potlucks, in the first post, just edit it to add people) and then have everyone bring something to get in.
In addition to the sign up sheet have a cut off of a certain ammount of one kind of food. (Or even go as far to say 2 reg. size bags of chips, and one 12 pack.)
That would keep everyone from bringing only chips, and/or drinks. And with a certain ammount of people allowed to bring a certian dish, it would cause a variety to appear.

That way there is a variety of food/drinks, and less of a "One person/group" providing all of it.
(A person/group might contribute more than others, but it wouldn't kill them.)

Or you can do a dish equals _____ (Be it an entry into a contest, less of a cover fee, or something. To get people interested.)

Games, are escaping my head right now.

For music, it could start out playing various anime/Japanese music, and then evolve into a rave, with Techno ect...

Defifitly a cosplay contest, maybe even a mock battle of some sort. The possibilities are endless.

DCAnime
07-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Here is another question.

What would be fair for admission fee for a cosplay party?

NecromanticChii
07-21-2007, 09:53 AM
No more than 15-20.00, but no less than 5.00

Other than that I have no clue.

LaPetiteSalope
07-25-2007, 01:40 AM
five dollars is a fair amount....(or free admission!? haha)

I held a party a couple of months ago.

---errr, and I didn't really plan it well either. XD
It was more of just a gathering/meeting up with friends/playing wii

Mini games are always fun for people to introduce themselves. Contests (with awesome prizes) will also attract more people to come as well.

NiceGai44
07-26-2007, 03:11 PM
If you need some insight me and Barbara held Hollowcon and it came out pretty good. People are already ask me to preregister for this year. Barbara is great at event planning.

Lumasnati
07-26-2007, 03:30 PM
There is still going to be a Hallowcon this year, right Gai? :3

NiceGai44
07-26-2007, 03:40 PM
As of right now its up in the air. I know so many people want one. The turn out this year would be amazing I am wondering where we could have it this year. Its a lot of event planning on our end. I havent talked to Barbara in a good while. I will try to hit her up and see how she wants to roll with it.

DCAnime
07-26-2007, 07:31 PM
If you need some insight me and Barbara held Hollowcon and it came out pretty good. People are already ask me to preregister for this year. Barbara is great at event planning.

Well here is the thing.
This is all about imput.

We the DC Anime Club have had our cosplay party at Anime FX for the past two years. Now some of you have attended our Cosplay Parties before. Thing is we did not get alot of feedback. At least not on Cosplay dot com. The most we got were comments about pictures such as when the pics would come out etc. Which is all well and nice but we at DCAC want to improve upon our events for all the local Anime Fans.
This year we decided to post pone our cosplay party due to mainly lack of venue.

Also Anime FX has closed down it's springfield,VA location and even if Anime FX Springfield,VA location was still around we were not sure if we would want to have the party there any more due to what YOU the cosplayers of Virginia Cosplay Society feel about Anime FX such as Akiba Fest.

As we have said before we at DCAC strive to create quality events but alas we can only do but so much with such little feedback from our events.

So I say thanks for the advice about how to run an Cosplay Party and keep the comments coming.

MaryRyanBogard
08-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Any word on when and where this party is yet? I might go, if it doesn't interfere with anything else.

DCAnime
08-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Any word on when and where this party is yet? I might go, if it doesn't interfere with anything else.

Sorry but the DC Anime Club Cosplay Party will not be taking place this year.
We will plan for next year.

In the mean time I recommend that you come to your other events such as our Shoujo Day,Anime Art Show and Rumiko Takahashi Marathon.

For more information please visit our website at www.dcanimeclub.org.