PDA

View Full Version : Updating a Harry Potter Costume :3

finally_akon
07-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Yaye for another Harry Potter thread!

Okay, so I'm going to do some contest entering this Saturday night for the Harry Potter release and I'm doing it in my Fawkes costume. You can take a lookie-loo at it in my gallery-thingy or here (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27183446/?qo=6&q=Fawkes+costume&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5) if you're too lazy to want to go look for it. It's the same picture.

Anyways! Looking back on that costume had me thinking, I want to update it and make it look more... phoenix-y.

So here's what I'm thinking:

-adding a red/gold feather boa outline to the tail (not in the photo, but it looks like a pretty flat flame) and maybe to the wings and the red-chest-piece -I don't know what to call it-.
-making a new collar with a Dumbledore's Army tag on it.
-different shoes (the ones photographed were a b!tch to walk in)
-sewing the chest-piece to make it smaller.
-plummage in the space between the collar and the chest-piece.
-staining the tail so there are spots of gold, ala Reith from Magna Carta style.

Anyone agree/disagree/want to add on?
And can anyone provide some tips on my last idea (about staining)?

I'm all open for suggestions, criticisms, even people going 'gawd, that's an awful costume', but I'll ignore the last one :3

rainyday
07-15-2007, 06:32 PM
the ideas you have so far seem good. I would also add some gold to the wings and maybe some feathers framing your face. you could get a few at micheals probably. you could also get some gold and red hair mascara and add streaks of color. have you planned on wearing make-up? you should make it really elaborate around the eyes and definitely red and gold. perhaps you could put some long fake fingernails on to look like talons. I would also put some feathers on the undershirt, perhaps around the bottom going over the top of the skirt. these are just ideas that I thought of when I looked at your costume. I guess what I'm saying is that small details really pull a costume off. you have a great base on which you can add tons of detail. the more the better. the best part is you get the make up the detail yourself. have fun :)

finally_akon
07-15-2007, 10:49 PM
the ideas you have so far seem good. I would also add some gold to the wings and maybe some feathers framing your face. you could get a few at micheals probably.

Danke. :3 I wasn't sure about putting gold on my wings, so it's reassuring to have someone suggest that :D

you could also get some gold and red hair mascara and add streaks of color. have you planned on wearing make-up? you should make it really elaborate around the eyes and definitely red and gold.

Yes XD I am actually wearing make-up in the picture, but it's too hard to tell. *doesn't usually wear make-up so, yeah* Sounds good. :3 Elaborating my eyes is good, because people tell me I have naturally beautiful eyes *preens*

perhaps you could put some long fake fingernails on to look like talons.

Eeeh.. I don't think I'll risk that. I'm going to be doing dangerous things with my hands XD

I would also put some feathers on the undershirt, perhaps around the bottom going over the top of the skirt. these are just ideas that I thought of when I looked at your costume.

I can't put them on the shirt, as it's not mine, but I could see into making like... a belt with feathers to hide under the shirt.

I guess what I'm saying is that small details really pull a costume off. you have a great base on which you can add tons of detail. the more the better. the best part is you get the make up the detail yourself. have fun :)

Wheee :D thank you!

rainyday
07-16-2007, 12:06 AM
i don't usually wear make-up either, but really dramatic make-up is fun to do every once in a while. :) post updates when you have them, I want to see what you do with it.

finally_akon
07-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Agreed, I can't wait to do some crazy make-up stuff :3

finally_akon
07-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Urgh, okay. So, the feathers on my wings didn't turn out as planned. In fact, while not only being frustrating, they just looked awful! Perhaps my wings are destined to featherlessness. *wagh*