PDA

View Full Version : Winter Comiket 2007 Cosplay Group

nadesico81
07-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Hello every one

I am seeing if any one would be interested in going to Winter Comiket on December 29-30 of this year. It would be very interesting to put together a team of western cosplayers to attend the convention.

I have just booked my ticket to Tokyo this week. And I am in the process of booking the hotel. Popular to popular opinion Tokyo is a decent and affordable city to tour. The biggest cost is the air fare and the travel costs of transport.

I am looking for decent cosplayers with the proper finances to come to Tokyo. Cosplaying in Japan is more of an art then just throw on any thing and cosplay. Needless to say any one is welcome to come with.

As for my self I am an avid cosplayer and always have been. I am an Airman in the USAF. I don’t do any cosplay unless I know I can pull it off realistically. I have been cosplaying since 2003 and have been stationed in Japan for a long time. As of now I am stationed in England and have been itching to get back to Japan.

Any one that’s interested please PM me. I posted this now because we need the proper lead time to plan every thing so we can get the biggest bang for our buck.

Cheers

James

Michi
07-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm planning on attending Comiket this winter as I'll be living in Japan for a while beforehand. I dunno about any cosplay team action, though. My costume choices for Comiket are a bit limited. ^_^;

[Winter Comiket = Dec 29-31]

nadesico81
07-17-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm planning on attending Comiket this winter as I'll be living in Japan for a while beforehand. I dunno about any cosplay team action, though. My costume choices for Comiket are a bit limited. ^_^;

Cool Cool

Cosplay team can mean alot of diffrent things. If all you have is one cosplay thats fine. Where what ever you want as long as its allowed at Comiket.

Cheers

Michi
07-18-2007, 10:45 PM
What I meant was I don't really have time before I leave for Japan to make anything new for a specific group (that didn't somehow relate to something I have already), unless it was something simple I could somehow make there. :)

nadesico81
07-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I am a firm believer in cosplaying any thing you want as long as you have fun. It does not matter what you cosplay as long as you have fun. I am more interested in meeting fellow American cosplayers that will be at Comiket.

James

Michi
07-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Well then. :) I'll be there for sure, likely with a few friends as well.

nadesico81
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Awsome I glad to have you on board. I am always open to meeting new people.

Killmesarah
07-26-2007, 02:28 PM
I can probably make this! It depends on when, exactly. Last time I went to Comiket, the train fare alone cost me about $20-$30... so I'd want to plan ahead. But if it's in December, I'd be good.

As of now, my costume choices are also limited to what I already have, and what I can fit in my suitcase. I'm thinking some sort of variation of Ayane from Dead or Alive, but that could change...

nadesico81
07-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Every one is welcome to come. As for me I will be in Japan for winter holiday it will be nice to meet some american cosplayers at Comiket.

As for Train Fair if your comeing to Japan I reccomend useing Seishun 18 Kippu for train fare. The price is 11,500 yen for 5 day pass.

Link http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/seishun18.html

Michi
07-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Both Killmesarah and I are going to be living in Japan for a good while, not just visiting... I don't think the 5 day pass would be worth the money. :/

nadesico81
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Yea the trains do get expensive in Japan. I spent over 100.00 USD in a week just traveling arround Tokyo. When I lived in Okinawa you had to have a car since there are no Trains. I still have my Japanese car from Okinawa now in the UK.

piinku
07-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Me and my ex spent a week in Tokyo last New Year's (we live in northern Japan). I didn't think the trains were that expensive - you mean just the JR around Tokyo? We went somewhere every day and it wasn't too bad...

nadesico81
07-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Me and my ex spent a week in Tokyo last New Year's (we live in northern Japan). I didn't think the trains were that expensive - you mean just the JR around Tokyo? We went somewhere every day and it wasn't too bad...

The train is not that bad but I was traveling in each day from Yakota out on the Ome Line. It got expensive going back and forth. But I did not mind I just keep puting money on my SUICA.

Honey Bunny
08-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I'll be there for sure. I'll probably get in contact wtih you guys again closer to the actually date. The thing that scares me most is getting there and changing in a sea of Japanese girls >_<. Also the cold.......that scares me more.

Michi
08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
I want to be crazy and say we should have matching costumes but...

A) I am too busy finishing up Touga for AOD, a small local con before I leave, to make another new cosutme. Unless we all want to do Utena that point is moot. :p (Though you do have a Rose Bride costume, right Honey Bunny? That doesn't look fun to try and bring to Comiket though...)

B) I somehow find access to a sewing machine in Japan. :D

nadesico81
08-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I may have the cash to put another cosplay together? It would be cool if we matched if not too much of a big deal.

Any idears I am open to just about any thing.

Michi
08-08-2007, 11:55 PM
None of those sentences should've ended in a question mark... :thumbsup:

nadesico81
08-09-2007, 12:11 AM
None of those sentences should've ended in a question mark... :thumbsup:

Thats what I get with useing a Goverment PC and network that messes with html and most forums posts :(

(It will be nice to get back to the real internet in a few months)

Michi
08-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I figured it was something like that. :)

I'm sorta playing with the idea of wearing Touga now, just because it'd probably be my warmest costume available. That or Yohko, despite my arms getting kinda cold in that. Hmmm. I sorta have to decide now since I leave soon and will have to pack these costumes up in my suitcase. XD

nadesico81
08-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I figured it was something like that. :)

I'm sorta playing with the idea of wearing Touga now, just because it'd probably be my warmest costume available. That or Yohko, despite my arms getting kinda cold in that. Hmmm. I sorta have to decide now since I leave soon and will have to pack these costumes up in my suitcase. XD

If its going to be cold I could where my Desert Punk cosplay. The only draw back would be geting the large hat to japan would be a problem. Or I could do a number of diffrent FMA cosplays. I have the cold weather over coat for the uniform but then no one would see who I am.

Michi
08-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah. See, I wanna bring Yohko, but it wouldn't be much fun since I wouldn't be able to bring my sword with me. One reason being I don't want to take it to Japan, and the other being Comiket prop rules. :/

D001
08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
When is Winter Comiket? I'm moving to Osaka toward the end of October, and I have a friend in Tokyo who's invited me to stay for a weekend. I'd love to go to a convention and cosplay. And I'd feel more comfortable in a group due to the different rules and culture regarding cosplay. ~_^

I've got my Sanzo from Saiyuki almost finished, and if I have time and money, I'm thinking about trying to put together Reno from FFVII: Advent Children. So I'll definately have a costume, espeically since neither of those costumes will take up much space. ^_^;;

I'm very interested!!

D

Michi
08-13-2007, 02:42 PM
It's December 29-31.

As for me, this'll be during the time my boyfriend is visiting me in Japan, so I'll probably only go to Comiket for one day.

Honey Bunny
08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Ya I think I might only be there for one day myself, seems like a huge hassel, adn I don't really like doujin.

nadesico81
08-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I am debateing if I want to spend all three days at Comiket. I know the train is going to be packed and then some. But there is other things I want to do in Tokyo. Not to mention my hotel is clear on the other side of the city.

**Side Note** Did some one remove my other post from this thread? If so can I please have the user name for the person I replyed to. It was the person who asked about Okinawa.**

D001
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
What day is everyone planning on going, since it seems like most people are just wanting to do the one day. ~_^ I, too, don't want to spend my whole weekend in Tokyo at the convention, though I certainly want to experience it and get a chance to cosplay. :D

D

Michi
08-15-2007, 12:07 AM
It's definitely way too early for me to tell what day I'd go. I think it depends on what else my boyfriend would like to do in the area that weekend, and we haven't really figured out a schedule for his visit yet. :)

neoPootling
08-19-2007, 04:48 AM
hi! i live in Toyohashi, Aichi and I'll be going to the winter comiket (alone ;_;) and id be super happy to meet up with you guys!!!!

the only costume i brought with me here is my latest one that i made for AX07 - corsair

CPOK
08-25-2007, 07:27 AM
I just returned to Australia from Summer Comiket and while it was interesting, it was NUTS on both the train and the Yurijamome line. What I ended up doing was buying a one day pass for the Yurijamome line and traveling 2 stations in the opposite direction of Shimbashi station and then switching trains (if you can call it a train, it was more like a bus). If your only going there for the cosplay, definatly turn up around lunch otherwise you will be in line for AGES. While I didn't see the Comiket line (I took my friends advice and turned up after lunch) I did see the line for wonderfest. It was about 3/4 to a full kilometer long! (which I will also add not as busy con as Comiket)

Now if you are after a good hotel to stay at I reccomend the Prince hotel in Shinagawa. The East tower has nice rooms for fairly cheap prices. I was paying per night on the weekend 8000 yen and during the week (Tuesday through Friday) 10600 yen. Depending on which line you take it close to the station you need to take to get to the Tokyo Big sight. It is 3 stations from Shimbashi (for the Yurijamome line) or 1 stop from or 1 station from Oimachi for the other line (I didn't take it cause the Yurijamome line was cheaper in the long run for me)

Now for the cosplay section...be warned it is packed no matter what time or day you go, it is always full to the brim with people. I am going to assume you have read the comiket English web page and know the etiquites and rules for it over there.

If there is any other questions you would like to ask about my personal experience of Summer Comiket 2007.

If things go to plan, I will also be attending Winter Comiket as well (hopefully and jetstar allowing)

Shirayuki
08-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Anyone have the dates for Comiket? If I'm not visiting the states for winter vacation during that time, I'm definitely going, with some friends most likely too. I'm not a westerner though (but I do speak English!) is it okay if I join too? ;_;

nadesico81
08-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Any one is welcome to come and join us. It will be cool to meet people from around the world.

I think the dates are the Dec 29-30-31 but I am not sure?

Michi
08-27-2007, 01:25 AM
As I posted on page 2, it's December 29-31. I'll add those dates to the first page to make it easier to find. :)

tenjouusagi
09-02-2007, 12:06 PM
My husband and I were planning on debuting our newest costumes at Nekocon this November, but training for their scheduled deployment to Iraq in Feb-Mar has shut that idea down. Now we're looking to go to mainland instead.

BTW, my hubby is a Marine and we're currently stationed on Okinawa. =3

Anyhow, we think we're going to try coming to Tokyo instead of flying to the US, and we'd like to attend a convetion while we're there. =3 Winter Comiket is a good opportunity, and we would feel a lot more comfortable if we were to be hanging around with other "western" cosplayers. =3 I'll get back to you again soon once we know for sure we're going. <3

I am debateing if I want to spend all three days at Comiket. I know the train is going to be packed and then some. But there is other things I want to do in Tokyo. Not to mention my hotel is clear on the other side of the city.

**Side Note** Did some one remove my other post from this thread? If so can I please have the user name for the person I replyed to. It was the person who asked about Okinawa.**

That might have been me, I'm not sure. Either way I don't remember what I asked. XD;

nadesico81
09-03-2007, 09:42 AM
That might have been me, I'm not sure. Either way I don't remember what I asked. XD;

I think it was something about Japan or Okinawa. I sent a PM your way.

Roleplayer
10-06-2007, 02:57 AM
I'll be there as Kakashi, if an Australian is allowed to chill with you guys. ;)
I live near Tokyo (Sugito Town, Saitama), so getting there is not really a problem for me ;) (Yay, no hotels!)
I live in Saitama-ken, so if anyone in the nearby area wants to meet up at a train station let me know. I too will likely be going for just one day!
So we should work out what day all of us one day people will be attending.

I was at the Tokyo game Show 2007 but my cosplayng friends has exibitor's passes so could go anywhere in costume. At comiket it is my understanding you're not even allowed to wander around buying manga in costume, tho my friend got away at the summer one with keeping his sharigan eyes in!

tenjouusagi
10-06-2007, 03:21 AM
I'll be there as Kakashi, if an Australian is allowed to chill with you guys. ;)
I live near Tokyo (Sugito Town, Saitama), so getting there is not really a problem for me ;) (Yay, no hotels!)
I live in Saitama-ken, so if anyone in the nearby area wants to meet up at a train station let me know. I too will likely be going for just one day!

I was at the Tokyo game Show 2007 but my cosplayng friends has exibitor's passes so could go anywhere in costume. At comiket it is my understanding you're not even allowed to wander around buying manga in costume, tho my friend got away at the summer one with keeping his sharigan eyes in!

I'm sure the small group in this thread doesn't care if you're Asian, Australian, or Alaskan. XD I certainly don't mind. =3 Like you said though, we just need to figure out what day all the one-day-goers wanna go. There's much more I wanna do in Tokyo than just go to ComiKet, so we'll probably only go for a few hours on 2 of the days. Most likely Friday & Saturday. There's a specific area for cosplay, tis true. You can only change in the designated areas, and you must change back before you leave. Absolutely NO showing up in costume either. Kinda boring in my opinion, but I guess with past incidents it is necessary. Oh, and you can't snap a picture of a cosplayer without asking first. ^^ Hope to see you there! I'm planning on Mistress 9 from Sailor Moon, and my husband will be Daisuke from DNAngel. My son is going to cosplay, too, but his costume is a secret. ^_^

Michi
10-06-2007, 05:18 AM
I'm slowly figuring out my schedule for the days around Comiket. I think I'd prefer Saturday or Sunday, since I'm going back to America on January 2nd and wouldn't want the second to last day there spent at Comiket, really.

Er, it's Saturday-Monday, by the way, not Friday-Sunday. :thumbsup:

I think I'll wear Yohko briefly there, too... I sorta wanna make a new costume while I'm here but I haven't decided yet, heh.

None of your posts in this thread have been deleted... :confused:

tenjouusagi
10-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Er, it's Saturday-Monday, by the way, not Friday-Sunday. :thumbsup:

/shrugs
It's a convention, so I just assumed. Saturday or Sunday then for us as well....

Michi
10-07-2007, 04:20 AM
Haha yeah, but Japan doesn't like to do things like we'd be used to. :bigtu: I find it a bit odd that it's Saturday-Monday as well.

nadesico81
10-07-2007, 03:37 PM

As a US Service member liveing in the UK I have Ausie friends as well as English friends. All are welcome no matter what color, race, blood type or coffee tastes.

The time and date are TBA right now. It might be either the first or second day of the event. However I am going to be there all three days.

Michi
10-07-2007, 05:27 PM
The time and date are TBA right now. It might be either the first or second day of the event. However I am going to be there all three days.

Has anything even really been organized? ^^; I don't think we're all going to end up in matching costumes, so the most we'd have is a meet up place to say hi, I guess... It's going to be really hard for me to figure that out since I only think I'd be going for a half day.

Roleplayer
10-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, if you see some crazy gaijin Kakashi on the day you do come michi, say hi ;)

D001
10-07-2007, 10:45 PM
As far as I know, you can be in costume so long as you are on the premises of the convention. So no showing up in costume and no leaving in costume. Also, you MUST change in designated changing areas, so you aren't taking up room in the bathrooms. However, I know someone who was at the last Winter Comiket, and she said there were many cosplayers in costume browsing for comics. The thing is is that you don't take pictures outside of the cosplay area, not like here in the States where you ask for a picture wherever you see the cosplayer. I've been told that there is a smaller shopping like area with food in it in the vicinity of the convention center, just to the south, I believe? Make-up touch ups are cool in there and the bathrooms are less crowded,so if you can make it, head there.

The first day of Comiket is more fandom related. The second day is geared toward the female audience, where the third day is aimed for the males, so expect lots of boobage the last day. (At least, that's how it was last year, so I'd assume the same this year). This is for the large halls where the djs and comics are. There is a dealer's room type place that sells the same stuff all three days, so there's something for everyone regardless of the day you go.

Hopefully that helps some!

I'd love to see you guys there, but unfortunately, life doesn't necessarily go the way you plan, and I won't be moving to Japan. I'm hoping to visit in Aug, so perhaps I might see some of you at Summer Comiket. ^_^

D

Michi
10-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Sounds like Tokyo Game Show. Pictures could only be taken in the cosplay area, but cosplayers were free to wander around -- you just couldn't ask them for a picture while they were in the exhibit halls.

I had always heard that it was cosplay in the cosplay area only for Comiket though, huh. :/

nadesico81
10-08-2007, 04:26 AM
Has anything even really been organized? ^^; I don't think we're all going to end up in matching costumes, so the most we'd have is a meet up place to say hi, I guess... It's going to be really hard for me to figure that out since I only think I'd be going for a half day.

It does not matter if we match or not its just fun meeting new people from around the world. Once we meet up we can brake off and go tot he cosplay area. If any one has a good idear for the meet up point please let me know. I have been all over Tokyo but never been to Odaiba.

tenjouusagi
10-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Sounds like Tokyo Game Show. Pictures could only be taken in the cosplay area, but cosplayers were free to wander around -- you just couldn't ask them for a picture while they were in the exhibit halls.

I had always heard that it was cosplay in the cosplay area only for Comiket though, huh. :/

That's what I heard. It also appears to be that way in the rulebook that was posted in another thread.

EDIT: Actually, it just says absolutely no cosplay outside of the convention, and not to show up in costume, as well as no changing in the bathrooms. Pictures only in designated cosplay public square. I guess there's no reason to believe we can't shop around in our costumes, as long as we change in the changing area(s). ^_^ YAY! This makes me happy because I was a bit disappointed when I was told we could only cosplay in the cosplay square. =D More incentive to finish (I mean start) my Mistress 9 cosplay. I wanna wear it for Halloween too if I can! If not I'll just dust off my Gunner Yuna. =3 Heehee.

D001
10-09-2007, 12:51 AM

That's what I had heard as well. However, my friend said that she saw plenty of people in costume browsing for comics. What I would've done (and will do whenever I can get there ^_^) is browse first, check out the lay of the land and then immitate what everyone else is doing, so if I did not see anyone in costume, I'd keep it in the picture area, but if I did see people in costume browsing, then sure! I'll stay in costume as well.

But do keep in mind that this is an extremely populated convention. I've heard their record numbers, and eventhough I cannot remember what they were, I do remember them being very high. I would not cosplay outside of the designated photo area if I had props or wings or anything that stuck out from my costume. Something like Spike from Cowboy Bebop, cool. But I'd hesitate with something like Abel from Trinity Blood. So this might color your desire to attempt to remain in costume through out the convention.

D

tenjouusagi
10-09-2007, 01:41 AM
I would not cosplay outside of the designated photo area if I had props or wings or anything that stuck out from my costume. Something like Spike from Cowboy Bebop, cool. But I'd hesitate with something like Abel from Trinity Blood. So this might color your desire to attempt to remain in costume through out the convention.

D

Props and obtrusive objects involved in cosplay aren't allowed anyways. Only props under 12" long are allowed. ^^;

Michi
10-09-2007, 04:44 AM
Props and obtrusive objects involved in cosplay aren't allowed anyways. Only props under 12" long are allowed. ^^;

Yeah, aside from the fact that it'd be really hard to transport anyway, that's one reason why I didn't bring my Yohko sword to Japan. :thumbsup:

Roleplayer
10-21-2007, 05:23 AM
I am doing Cloud Strife (Advent Children/Kingdom hearts 2) and Kakashi (Naruto/Naruto Shippuden).

If anyone wants to do a character from either of these 2 for Comicket let me know, so we can coordinate costume days and go together!

Now back to gluing Clouds' wig!

nadesico81
10-28-2007, 02:44 PM
I am thinking of doing either Roy Mustang or Desert Punk

Admin
10-28-2007, 03:50 PM
There are tons of people walking around in costume outside of the cosplay area, but it is correct to assume you should arrive and leave in regular clothes and change in the designated changing area. The only other major restriction is on the photography as it can only occur in the cosplay area.

The most important thing is to pay attention to the traffic flow - while there is room near the cosplay area to hang out outside, once you get indoors you are basically in a river of people flowing through the convention center, and there aren't many places to stop and loiter.

Many people bring a small piece of rolling carry-on luggage and keep it with them while they're cosplaying. It's a good place to put some extra water and a snack too. Pack a small mirror for the changing area.

It can't be overstated - don't underestimate how crowded the cosplay area is. Keep yourself as compact as possible. The cosplayers and photographers are extremely polite but try to move even 50 feet to a new spot and you're going to be bumped and pushing your way through sometimes.

If you're going with friends it's a good idea to rent cellphones because if you get split up you will not be able to find each other easily, even in the cosplay section. I've used http://www.jcrcorp.com/ many times now and they're very reliable.

I'll be at Winter Comiket one of the days, not sure which one yet though.

nadesico81
10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
There are tons of people walking around in costume outside of the cosplay area, but it is correct to assume you should arrive and leave in regular clothes and change in the designated changing area. The only other major restriction is on the photography as it can only occur in the cosplay area.

The most important thing is to pay attention to the traffic flow - while there is room near the cosplay area to hang out outside, once you get indoors you are basically in a river of people flowing through the convention center, and there aren't many places to stop and loiter.

Many people bring a small piece of rolling carry-on luggage and keep it with them while they're cosplaying. It's a good place to put some extra water and a snack too. Pack a small mirror for the changing area.

It can't be overstated - don't underestimate how crowded the cosplay area is. Keep yourself as compact as possible. The cosplayers and photographers are extremely polite but try to move even 50 feet to a new spot and you're going to be bumped and pushing your way through sometimes.

If you're going with friends it's a good idea to rent cellphones because if you get split up you will not be able to find each other easily, even in the cosplay section. I've used http://www.jcrcorp.com/ many times now and they're very reliable.

I'll be at Winter Comiket one of the days, not sure which one yet though.

Thanks for the good info you are more then welcome to join us. I am looking to interview Japanese and English Cosplayers for my web show Otaku Punch.

As for geting lost any where with lots of people you want a way to call some one. I would get a cell phone when you come to Japan or bring a unlocked GSM phone that supports Japanese GSM and put a SoftBank sim in it. As for me I wil have my UK Vodafone.

Roleplayer
10-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Any idea yet what day you're going, nadesico81?

Also, I'm on winter vacation from teaching then too, if you want a guide in Tokyo :) Message me your cell number when you get to Japan and I'll give you a buzz if you want.
I've deicded on Kakashi one day and Cloud Strife the other day. Tho my Cloud costume is a million times better than my shody Kakashi costume :P Mainly cause the only green jacket I could get way 2 sizes too big for my 29 inch waist :P

nadesico81
10-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Any idea yet what day you're going, nadesico81?

Also, I'm on winter vacation from teaching then too, if you want a guide in Tokyo :) Message me your cell number when you get to Japan and I'll give you a buzz if you want.
I've deicded on Kakashi one day and Cloud Strife the other day. Tho my Cloud costume is a million times better than my shody Kakashi costume :P Mainly cause the only green jacket I could get way 2 sizes too big for my 29 inch waist :P

Sure np I have been to Tokyo before but I always want to meet new people. I think I might of to Comiket for 2 days.

Roleplayer
11-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Sure np I have been to Tokyo before but I always want to meet new people. I think I might of to Comiket for 2 days.

Ous. Sounds good :)

nadesico81
11-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Ous. Sounds good :)

PM me and we can talk further.

tenjouusagi
11-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I think it's about time we started figuring out a day, time, and place we can all meet up to say hi and chat for a bit (even if it's while walking around! XD) I really wanna meet some new people, so it doesn't matter to me if we only stick together for 15 minutes or so. There's always the slim chance we'll run into each other again. ^^

I KNOW those of you who only want to go for a day are wanting to do other stuff in Tokyo for that reason. (Does that make sense? =_=; ) Ahem, SO! Who wants to hit all the Mandarake shops?! =D We can set up a shopping group! It would be a lot of fun, give us a better chance to talk and what-not, and of course it would be helpful for first-time-Tokyo-ers (like myself XD). Of course I know there's more to the shopping limelight of Tokyo than just Mandarake. Nadesico81, you still up for being out tour guide? =) Someone else from the forums (haven't seen him in this thread though) also offered, but he seems to be pretty busy right now. Can't hardly get ahold of him. >_>; He can probably show us around before you get there/after you leave, cause we'll be there on the 27th until the 2nd. =D

Come mid-November I should be booking our place to stay, but I wanted to see if anyone knew of a good place that's fairly inexpensive. If it doesn't beat $45 a night, don't bother. ^^; It will be myself, my husband, and our 2 year old son, so please keep that in mind when you make a suggestion. We'll also be there for a full week, not just the 3-day ComiKet weekend. ^_^v

Also, does anyone know if there are lower child fares for the trains and such? I'd hate to pay full price for my 2 year old, who's small enough to sit in my lap. >_>;

Hmmm... I think that's it. ^^ Let's get this party started guys! ComiKet is less than 2 months away! =O

Michi
11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
If it was any other time, I'd love to act as a tour guide. I've been living here for a few months now in the Tokyo area and am fairly familiar with it now. However, as I've mentioned, Comiket hits during my boyfriend's visit. It turns out the 31st is the only day I can drop by Comiket (we'll be around Saitama on the 29th and in Yokohama on the 30th), and since we have other things to do I wouldn't be able to join a shopping spree. :( Not to mention, I've sorta had my fill of going to various Mandarake stores and the like. I can, however, point out where the good ones are. ;)

There are a lot of good, cheaper hotels all around the Tokyo area. Unless it's a hostel though, you're going to have a tough time getting $45 a night for three people (unless it's both of you paying $45; hotels here like to do per-person rates). I'd look for hotels on sites like JapanHotel.net or HostelWorld.com, perhaps. There are hostels with larger private rooms so you might look into that for you, your husband and son. Between our more expensive ryokan stays, my boyfriend and I are going to be at a hostel for a few nights on the days we're traveling around more often just because it'll be easier.

As for trains, there are indeed child fares. However, a child as young as 2 rides free. The only time you'd need to pay for him is if you're getting tickets for a reserved seat train. :bigtu:

tenjouusagi
11-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Aww, that's a shame. =( Well, I should have expected that from several people anyway. It will probably be just us and whoever is helping us get around that will be going shopping together. =( Ah well, it was worth a shot.

The Hardy Barracks where we are most likely going to be staying charges $45 flat per night. It includes a room with 4 single beds, and I think breakfast every morning. I don't think we'll find anything better than that, so I'll just plan to call them up on the 13th for our reservation. ^_^ Thanks for the websites though. I'll check them out just in case.

He gets to ride the plane and the trains for free. That's awesome. =D Thanks for the info. ^^

Fo-
11-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Not to mention, I've sorta had my fill of going to various Mandarake stores and the like. I can, however, point out where the good ones are. ;)

mmm.... care to hint the places? :)

I know only one Mandarake in Shibuya.

Michi
11-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Well, there's Otome Road in Ikebukuro past Sunshine City. They have several different K-Books and then a Mandarake nearby.
Then there's Nakano Broadway in Shinjuku, off of Nakano Station. The Nakano Sun Road shopping mall has a bunch of anime stores on the second floor of the further back building (after you enter and walk past a hallway of regular stores). There's a couple of specialty Mandarake stores there, and a bunch of other small hobby shops.
The other obvious place for shopping is Akihabara, but I feel dirty everytime I go there. Oh well, haha. I actually haven't been to the one in Shibuya myself.

tenjouusagi
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
We're in BIIIIG trouble. We have our flight tickets and one hotel night booked through our agency, but the place we were going to book for the duration of our stay was booked THEY DAY THEY TOLD US TO CALL. This is all their fault because I waited until they were able to make our reservation stay (45 days prior), and now everywhere I look online is booked also. We can't go to Tokyo and Comic Market if we don't have anywhere to sleep. Does anybody have ANY suggestions, or even a FLOOR to sleep on? Two adults and one child in need of a room or floor. {Please assist} T_T

Nevermind, problem solved. >_>;

CPOK
11-15-2007, 04:23 AM
Try the Prince hotel in Shinagawa.

tenjouusagi
11-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Problem solved actually. Turns out they made a "tentative reservation" for me. I first inquired about the dates in September, but they didn't bother to email me when they changed their reservation policy from 45 days prior to 6 months prior. -_-; Thanks for the suggestion though. ^_^v

KimaLucifer
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Wow I kinda want to join in on this fun... :X (I guess I`m too late in responding?)

Michi
11-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Too late how? XD There's still over a month until Comiket!

We haven't really picked if we're gonna meet up a certain time, though. I think most everyone else in this thread is going for the whole time, but as I said, I'll only be there on the 31st briefly as Yohko.

KimaLucifer
11-26-2007, 05:58 AM
I see :X Is there some kind of list of what people are planning to cosplay as?

I think I might cosplay a character from DOLLS :3

nadesico81
11-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Too late how? XD There's still over a month until Comiket!

We haven't really picked if we're gonna meet up a certain time, though. I think most everyone else in this thread is going for the whole time, but as I said, I'll only be there on the 31st briefly as Yohko.

The time will and place will be decided in the next week so stayed tuned.

I just have to figure out what will work the best for a meet up place. I will be at Comiket all three days.

mixaka
12-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Well, I'll probably be going sometime on the 31st. Thought I'd be in Korea for the whole thing, but I'll actually be flying in that afternoon and will hopefully be able to stop by. No cosplay though. Would be too much of a hassle to drag around on my trip.

CPOK
12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I will also be there, but I don't know if I will be cosplaying yet. (29th and part of 30th)

nadesico81
12-11-2007, 07:16 PM
OK here is what is going to happen for the meet up we will meet at the Comiket Cosplay desk on the 29th at 12:30. Its a nice easy place to find for most people.

To find me just look for the american in a yellow coat wearing a Boston Red Socks Hat.

Also I am very intrested in doing some filming of English Speaking cosplayers for my UK anime news Program Otaku Punch. I will be cosplaying but my main focus is going to be news coverage of Comiket.

If your intrested in being filmed and or interviewed please PM me.

Honey Bunny
12-11-2007, 10:52 PM
12:30 on the 29th, that sounds good. I was planning to spend the first day shopping and learning my way around then Cosplaying Fran on Sunday. So it all works out.

Michi
12-12-2007, 04:23 AM
I know at least two people in this thread can't make the 29th, so if anyone's up for alternatives on other days I don't mind organizing something. :(

nadesico81
12-12-2007, 06:32 AM
I know at least two people in this thread can't make the 29th, so if anyone's up for alternatives on other days I don't mind organizing something. :(

well then lets do it for the 30th then instead of the 29th?

Michi
12-12-2007, 10:15 AM
:confused: Like I've been saying, I'll only be there the 31st. lilypad seems to only be attending that day as well.

CPOK
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
How about meeting each day at that time? I can only really meet on the 29th at that time since I fly out to the US on the 30th at 1800.

Not sure what I will be wearing, but the Aussie accent should be a dead give away.

nadesico81
12-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Well tell u what I will do the meet up on the 29th 30th and 31st at the same place. However I wont be able to wait for ever so the window for the meet up will be 12:30-12:40 to collect every one. After that I assume we will leave to go to cosplaying areas and or beyond. I would very much like to meet as many people that speak english as possible to interview for my web show.

Honey Bunny
12-12-2007, 10:50 PM
That's a really small window. You have to remember a lot of people will be going for the first time and might not be able to move through the crowd fast enough to make it in that time frame. 12:30-12:45/50 would be better because there's more than 100,000 people there and it's a huge site.

P.S I'm still up for meeting on the 29th. ON the 30th I'm only going to be concerned with cosplay things (like changing in front of 100's of other people >_<)

nadesico81
12-13-2007, 08:12 AM
That's a really small window. You have to remember a lot of people will be going for the first time and might not be able to move through the crowd fast enough to make it in that time frame. 12:30-12:45/50 would be better because there's more than 100,000 people there and it's a huge site.

P.S I'm still up for meeting on the 29th. ON the 30th I'm only going to be concerned with cosplay things (like changing in front of 100's of other people >_<)

Thats could work just fine for the meet up. Between 12:30-12:50 then.

tenjouusagi
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
29th is good for me too because I want to go on the first day, and I don't plan on spending a lot of money to go more than one day. >_>;

Michi
12-13-2007, 09:18 PM
I can't guarantee I can make that time considering I don't even know when we're arriving, but I'll keep it in mind. :)

nadesico81
12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
I can't guarantee I can make that time considering I don't even know when we're arriving, but I'll keep it in mind. :)

Once you know PM me and we can work something out. I would very much like to chat with you.

Supremeronin
12-16-2007, 07:30 AM
I'll be going at least one day, possibly two...though not the 31st (going to the Countdown Japan concert).

That timeslot sounds reasonable for a meet-up :)

I'll probably take the Rinkai line from Osaki to Kokusaitenjijo (a stn reasonably close to BigSite)...320yen each way and only 13mins. Personally I don't like using the monorail so much...both can be hellishly crowded, but the Rinkai is faster IIRC.

Hopefully see you there!

Oh, meet up in-costume or not? I only ask as if some are and some aren't then it'll mean waiting while some people change...

tenjouusagi
12-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Oh, meet up in-costume or not? I only ask as if some are and some aren't then it'll mean waiting while some people change...

Good point, and I'll have a 2 year old with me as well.

Supremeronin
12-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Oh yeah, one other question since the place is HUGE and it's a miracle getting a mobile signal there...where is this Cosplay Desk? Near both changing rooms? IIRC there is a desk with staff there...though they really don't like people waiting anywhere at all...meeting by the FujiFilm stall inside the outdoor cosplay area might be one idea (if you don't mind me suggesting an alternative :( )...nice and easy to spot the flags ;)

Roleplayer
12-20-2007, 04:40 PM
I'll go on the 30th then :)

Michi
12-20-2007, 05:34 PM
If everything goes well and I arrive and all that, I'll be there for a bit on the 31st as Devil Hunter Yohko (like my avatar)... which I think'll make me stand out a bit anyway. Leaving now to pick up my boyfriend at the airport, so I'll probably not be online again until after the event!

KimaLucifer
12-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Hmm....I might make it on the 30th but Prooobably not in a cosplay (unfortunately) because most of my cosplays require additional people to make sense :X

If I go I`ll be prancing around in a vibrant red kimono-print outfit.

But let`s hope I still manage to cosplay (crosses fingers)

CPOK
12-27-2007, 05:00 AM
I guess I will see you people at the comiket. I am leaving in a few hours for the flight to Japan. See you lot there on the 29th!

nadesico81
12-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok I made it to Tokyo in fine shape. Looking forward to meeting every one

STELLALUNA
12-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey, just found this thread. I'm coming to Comiket as well. Can I meet up with you guys?
I'm thinking of cosplaying Yomiko Readman the 30th.

Supremeronin
12-28-2007, 05:55 AM
I'll be meeting Nadesico tomorrow by the Fuji-Film stall (inside the cosplay arena) at around 1pm tomorrow...and anyone else who can make it! :)

Or....
On the 30th we're meeting at Osaki stn (by the Newdays convini) at 1115, then heading to BigSite...and again meeting people at 1 by the film stall.

See you tomorrow :)

nadesico81
12-28-2007, 09:28 AM
I tryed calling you but the call would not go though.

I'll be meeting Nadesico tomorrow by the Fuji-Film stall (inside the cosplay arena) at around 1pm tomorrow...and anyone else who can make it! :)

Or....
On the 30th we're meeting at Osaki stn (by the Newdays convini) at 1115, then heading to BigSite...and again meeting people at 1 by the film stall.

See you tomorrow :)

CPOK
12-28-2007, 05:14 PM
I am in Shinagawa now. I am staying at the Prince Hotel. I should be heading off in a few mintues.

nadesico81
12-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Cool im siting in the lobby of the hotel geting ready to head out to Comiket now.

Supremeronin
12-29-2007, 03:26 AM
I tryed calling you but the call would not go though.

Ah...probably the crappy signal in my apartment block...it's not a helluva lot better than BigSite ;)
You're going earlier tomorrow, right?

Ah what the hell. I was going to go later tomorrow...but I'll go earlier! :D
I should arrive at kokusaitenjijo stn at 930...join the massed crowds...maybe get in at 1030.

How about we try meeting a bit earlier? 12 at the Fuji-Film stand? (plus anyone else who's going to be there, of course! :) )

nadesico81
12-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Hello every one

I manged to get a press badge for todays event. I will be there in my FMA cosplay doing interviews and filming.

James

Supremeronin
12-30-2007, 03:54 AM
Well, aside from the downpours and hail(!), I had a good time today...a fair few people took my photo while I was in costume, and I managed to meet up with some J-mates I hadn't seen for a while...
Sorry I couldn't find any of you from this site today though! :(

I've put up all my pics from today in an album:
HERE (http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=99690&member=12867)

To those of you going on the last day:
have a great time! :)

CPOK
12-31-2007, 01:06 AM
dam...looks like I missed the fun again...bugger. oh well.

Supremeronin
01-02-2008, 08:25 AM
So...how was the 31st?
Has anyone else put up their pictures yet?

mixaka
01-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks for posting your pics Supremeronin. Sadly I didn't make it back in time to get to Comiket, so I've got no pics of my own. Guess I'll just have to live vicariously through every one who did make it!

Michi
01-03-2008, 04:02 AM
So, we spent the 31st changing hotels (from Kawaguchi to Tokyo) and ended up with no time to run over to Comiket. :( Oh well. I'm not too bummed because I haven't really been in a cosplaying mood at all lately, haha. I hope you guys had fun!

nadesico81
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Ok I just got back from Tokyo late last night. Two out of the three days at Comiket I had a press pass. So none the less I was very very very busy. According to the staff I was the ONLY reporter EVER to report from comiket in Cosplay. For a event as big as comiket they are VERY cosplay frendly as long as you play by the rules. However they are very touchey about video cameras in alot of cases. We were very very very luckey to be able to get the footage we did. We should have it edited and posted in a few weeks.

As for the meet up it really happend on the first day. I met alot of cool and nice people. It was alot of fun and I am sincerly gald every who could of made it made it.

Cheers and thanks