PDA

View Full Version : need long coat and silly newb quesitons

MrWonderfulToji
05-07-2003, 12:51 AM
howdy everyone
I am cosplaying two *mebbe one* characters for otakon who wear long overcoats. I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few things..

1) one costume uses fringe, would it be better to find a fringe coat, or attach some myself *I've heard of people doing this..*

2) where should I look for such a coat. I went to ebay, but found that they were either REALLY expensive or had no picture. I plan to hit the burlington coat factory back home, but was wondering if there were any online sites/stores people could advise?

3)not about coats, but while I have people reading this :D is it more advisable to dye my hair for a costume or to use a wig.. I've heard wigs can get expensive and are hard to style..

I've cosplayed before, but these are the first costumes that I will be making on my own, well hopefully I can ask for some help on here along the way!
for reference, the two characters with overcoats are Big Joe from Xenogears and Jack Van Burace from Wild ARMs *but I might do rudy instead... not sure*
thanks a lot everyone!
sean

megumibish
05-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Well I guess sewing a coat is outta the question. Oh and I believe it is as equally as expensive to either make your own fringe coat/buy your own fringe coat. Fringe is wicked expensive considering just how much you'll need to cover the jacket.
About the hair I say go with what you feel is comfortable. Sometimes you can find some wigs on sale too. Depends on what kind and what color you need.

KuroBara
05-07-2003, 01:50 AM
>3)not about coats, but while I have people reading this is it more advisable to dye my hair for a costume or to use a wig.. I've heard wigs can get expensive and are hard to style..

I say go with a wig, that way you'll always have it for the costume. You'll have to invest ~$10 and a good chunk of time each time you dye. Buy a $30 wig, and you can wear it to multiple cons without having to redye your hair.

As for buying a coat, good luck, they're out of season now. Have you tried thrift stores?

Jinx
05-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Actually, being a guy, it'll be easier dying your hair. My hair is about two feet long, with thick chunks of black hair... not easy for bleaching and dying. -_-;; Have you dyed hair before? You might have some luck with it.

MrWonderfulToji
05-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Jinx
Actually, being a guy, it'll be easier dying your hair. My hair is about two feet long, with thick chunks of black hair... not easy for bleaching and dying. -_-;; Have you dyed hair before? You might have some luck with it.

I had my friend use that hair mascara on me, and it worked really well.. the blue came out awesome and I looked a lot like Rudy from Wild ARMs. which is always neat.
I think it might be time for me to finally sleep.. it looked like jinx's avatar was giving me the finger...
oh and the fringe jacket, its not covered in fringe, it just has like, one line of it going across the breast of the coat. I'll ask my friend if she minds if I link to a picture of the character....
sean

rovalles
05-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Hey sean........try spray in coloring...... that worked well with my friends so i think you'll be fine.........I think.