PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter - Half-Blood Prince Movie Costume

SunSurfAndAnime
07-25-2007, 03:15 AM
So I'm already beginning to flesh out some ideas for a costume for the 6th movie premiere.

Right now I'm running with the idea of either a punk ravenclaw student or punk auror (a la SnJ Tonks, sorta).

If I go for the first - I was hoping for some ideas of how to maintain the "Hogwarts student uniform" look while making it very unique and definitely punk.

One thing I'm considering is either finding a suitable long-coat that comes in at the waist or possibly going through the trouble of modifying one of the mass-produced robes (e.x. link (http://alivans.com/files/robe_600.jpg)) so that it had an actual collar and closer cut. The latter would be much harder since I have zero experience with sowing (though I pick up most things pretty quickly).

I'm most definitely making my hair or a wig very interesting.

The biggest suggestions I could use are on how to possibly punkout the sweater, scarf and tie without going overboard.

The way I figure it is that hogwarts is a school and students are coming from everywhere - they all obviously have different personalities but the books and movies don't show the subtle (and often not so subtle) difference that students end up expressing even when made to wear uniforms.

So, its either that or one of the characters at the moment :P

Michi
07-25-2007, 03:30 AM
I'm sorry that I have little else to contribute aside from this comment, but I have to ask:

Why do you call it "SnJ"? Why can't you just say, perhaps, "a male version"? Harry Potter is not Naruto. People did genderswap/alt gender inspired cosplay long before Naruto. I just don't get it.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with your ideas. I think it'd be obviously punk enough with some accessories and your hair; no need to alter the uniform much.

SunSurfAndAnime
07-25-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm sorry that I have little else to contribute aside from this comment, but I have to ask:

Why do you call it "SnJ"? Why can't you just say, perhaps, "a male version"? Harry Potter is not Naruto. People did genderswap/alt gender inspired cosplay long before Naruto. I just don't get it.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with your ideas. I think it'd be obviously punk enough with some accessories and your hair; no need to alter the uniform much.

Sorry for calling it that. I picked it up - call it a bad habit - from roaming these forums actually. Seeing so many people calling things complete unrelated to naruto SnJ - and it does make for a good abbreviation.

But yes, what I meant was a male version.

I just dont want to bastardize the look and feel of one of my favorite series by overdoing the style - especially since I don't usually do proper punk in normal life. Usually I just incorporate different styles into my wear as I feel fit.

The more I do research though, the more I feel like an 80's punk style like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Punks.jpg) will work well with the Hogwarts uniform.

I suppose I'm mostly looking for what the proper way of doing punk is. I know people who are in different communities get very specific and the word "poser" is thrown around quite a bit for those who don't do it well.

edit: when it comes to the coat / robe in my head im considering something like this (http://www.absoluteanime.com/yu-gi-oh_gx/chazz.jpg) or an even better one is the one Yugi wears during a certain story arc but I can't find reference pictures.

chris-chan
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
looks like it would be good. of course emo would probably be easier, but who wants to be emo? and yeah, i think the 80's style would probably work best with the school uniform. oh, its spelt poseur not poser. they sound the same, but have diffrent meanings. (poser means a puzzling or baffling question where as poseur means a person who pretends to be who he or she is not. got these right off of the merriam-webster dictionary website)

Uchihacest69
07-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I made a Narcissa Malfoy for the book party. i Just need to upload it....

It's very nice and fun ^^.

Garuda_Aiacos
07-30-2007, 01:19 AM
I think for next November 2008's HBP Movie, I might had done something new, like maybe the Marauder's era school uniform. I was really happy that I can borrow parts from other HP School Uniform version for it (ya, when I get to do the Pre-PoA ones of course!) but something still puzzle me, what kind of skirt does the girls wear :confused: and do they just wear the Sweater underneath the School Robe or do they also have to wear a ladies coat, like the boys who have to wear the Male's Coat.

Other than that, I might as well premiere my Beauxbatons Outfits or just wear my Slytherin School Uniform again. :skidude2: