PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for me with OniCon?

kagame_rin
07-27-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty young to be doing a convention, and I have 2 1/2 months to do my costume, but I'm pretty sure I can get it done. OniCon is going to be my first con and I'm really excited about that, but is there anything I need to know before I go?

Thanks!

serenity_relena
08-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Oni-Con was my first con and granted I didn't dress up, but I am definitely trying to this year though. Oni-Con is a really good experience. It's really well organized, spacious, plenty to see and do. I will advise just to make sure you have plenty of time to be there because there really is alot. ^_^

Danzikumaru
08-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Wear comfortable foot gear. If your costume calls for odd shoes, bring a spare pair with you at all times. I say this because you will be doing A LOT of walking.

another2luvers
08-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Here's the best advice I can give you:

-Everything is expensive. Just keep that in mind.

-Don't wear shoes that are going to be agony on your feet.

-Since you're fairly young (and this actually applies to anybody who goes), there are perverts that go to these things to seek out kids without parents. If anybody invites you to their room or outside, or wants your room number or your phone number and they're obviously older than you, do not give it to them. That's the most important thing I can stress to a first time con-goer. Stay safe.

-Keep your belongings with you at all time. Never set them down on a bench or on a table, even for a second. If you're staying in a hotel room, try to keep as much as valuables in there as you can.

Hope that helps! Just please remember to stay safe!

L Gackto
08-15-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm pretty young to be doing a convention, and I have 2 1/2 months to do my costume, but I'm pretty sure I can get it done. OniCon is going to be my first con and I'm really excited about that, but is there anything I need to know before I go?

Thanks!

Having a costume will make your experience even more enjoyable, proabably. Gets you in the mood. But that goes for any con in general. :)

Raver-Sakura
08-15-2007, 01:50 PM
-EAT AND DRINK WHENEVER GIVEN THE CHANCE! Thats a biggie there, dont want to have ya passing out now. :3

- Be clean! :D A Happy person, is a clean person. yea~! <3

- Becareful when you're alone. Might get lost. XD; I got lost at my first con..which leads to:

-Ask for help when needed. (ie: finding a panel)

My last one:-Since you're fairly young (and this actually applies to anybody who goes), there are perverts that go to these things to seek out kids without parents. If anybody invites you to their room or outside, or wants your room number or your phone number and they're obviously older than you, do not give it to them. That's the most important thing I can stress to a first time con-goer. Stay safe.

I cant agree more and really reccomend you're atleast with a group. If not then surely keep that in mind. Not everyone is a bad guy out there though, its just a precaution.

Thats all I can think of right now. Onicon is a good con to start at! Im sure you'll have a blast and hope to see you in cosplay! <3

Akira_chan000
08-22-2007, 12:14 AM
This will be my 2nd year going to oni-con [which is the only con Im allowed to go to because we live fairly close to it]

Heres some tips for ya!!

-MY GAWD!!! Houston weather is unpredictable!!!! Bring unbrella just in case!!

- Do not spend all of your money the first day ( this kinda goes for any con though...)

- Go with a number of friends because there will be alot of down time and lots of just walking

- mingle!!! I met my first con-buddy vishious at oni con...later to find out that he goes to a high school that I am going to...

Fallen)x(Angel
08-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Here's a lot of my $.02 .

- This convention is hosted in a large convention center, and its very easy to get lost. Ask for directions when needed, and look at the maps and T.V. screens whenever you can to make sure you're in the right area.

- Don't go outside unless you're with a large group. It doesn't have to be 20 people, but aim for numbers more than 2.

- Travel and hang out with cosplayers in the same series [or from the same creator] as yours! You're be welcomed right in, and you'll enjoy yourself more. You'll also make friends and will be occupied all weekend long.

- Pocky = instant buddies.

- If your feet are hurting, sit in a panel room you're interested in and take off your shoes. DO NOT GO AROUND THE CON WITH BARE FEET! I cosplayed as L from Death Note one year and my feet were black in under 2 hours.

- The food sold in the convention center may not taste the best, but it's food, and the only thing available without having to drive around downtown Houston.

- Establish meetings before the con. This way you'll already know people and won't be nervous at the con.

- If your costume breaks, and you happen to not have supplies on hand to fix it, ask another cosplayer. Most cosplayers bring around small sewing kits, as well as hot glue guns / sticks. We'd be more then happy to share with you and help you out. ^_^

- If cosplaying, make sure you can get in and out of the costume on your own. You won't always have someone to help you undress.

- Have fun. It's a weekend of anime, enjoy yourself and take this as a chance to meet some cool people.