PDA

View Full Version : A surprise for Matrix cosplayers ^^

number18
05-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Well, if you're planning a Matrix costume...maybe you already know, but while randomly surfing internet stores and all, I came to the Hot Topic one and they have the Matrix style jackets everyone wears for sale...

I figure this would excite somebody.

http://www.hottopic.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&ITEM=20507031

Garuda_Aiacos
05-09-2003, 03:09 AM
Look good enough for me for a one shot The Matrix Costume, but not for accuracy sake. ;)

Giant Alucard
05-09-2003, 08:13 AM
whoa, they look pretty good to me..... but the prices is too high up there for me. I am po' and i dont have $80 to spend on one jacket yet. I'll just see if I can make one out of plether or something. Or maybe I'll just go as Agent Smith just to see what would happen.

number18
05-09-2003, 01:04 PM
They seem like they're pretty decent...I'm not sure if the price is decent or not, though...and I'm sure they're lacking some details, but oh well. I think it's kind of neat how they have the jackets on the front page, pushing for them to be like...."normal" wear or something. I dunno. :P

LLC
05-09-2003, 01:31 PM
I have a few of thing. They are fine for going to the Goth clubs.

I am taking one apart currently to reuse as a pattern to make in real leather. Working on a black one and silver one.

Padme Skywalker
05-10-2003, 02:24 AM
If anybody is interested in cosplaying at the Matrix premier & you live in the San Francisco Bay Area please post here:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12183

Garuda_Aiacos
05-11-2003, 04:40 AM
Hmmm, there seems to be Commercial Halloween Costumes for The Matrix Reloaded too.
http://www.costumecraze.com/Movie-Costumes-The-Matrix-Reloaded.html
But we all know its quality being a Commercial Halloween Costume. ;)

And a little OT, I think I'd undercalculate the no. of buttons I need fo my costume. Saw a full body shot of the actual costume and it seems the poster had only shown 3/4 of the costumes. :(

Daala
05-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Hmm.. the hot topic coats are okay. Not as fitted as one might like tho. I'd still make my neo jacket tho ^_^

Lucifer
05-13-2003, 01:06 AM
I actually got the trinity coat (from hot topic) as a gift. Yeah, I'd agree its not very fitted, but then again I'd prefer to have a little room when wearing vinyl.

I think its kinda neat to have some commercial clothing based on the film's, since I knew many people who saw the first film and wanted the wardrobe.

On another note, they are actually going to produce the cell phones used in the film.

Garuda_Aiacos
05-13-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Lucifer
I think its kinda neat to have some commercial clothing based on the film's, since I knew many people who saw the first film and wanted the wardrobe.

But the seller run the risk of receiving a R&D (aka "love letters") and lawsuit from the company distributing the movie, especially Warner Brothers. It could be prevented by relabelling the item but still, some company are just too presistant in shutting down illegal sellers of costumes & props.

Originally posted by Lucifer
On another note, they are actually going to produce the cell phones used in the film.

Thot it's already out on the market?

Lucifer
05-13-2003, 08:58 AM
That is true, but the way around getting shut down is to modify the product only slightly and boom, they can simply state the difference and can't be harmed.

Plus, its pretty much free publicity for the movie. Its true some companies are more persistent in controlling all aspects of their product (aka disney).

As for the cell phones, I only heard yesterday that they will produce them, due to there having been a high demand for them after the first film.

number18
05-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Yeah I agree that it's quite cool to have clothing based off the film's clothing. Cell phones now? Damn...another useless reason why I need a cell phone! >.<

LLC
05-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Yes, indeed. I am looking at doing something along the same lines in a light leather.

vyrax778
05-13-2003, 07:42 PM
not much Warner Brothers can do so long as there not calling it "NEO JACKET" or something along those lines I used to have a coat like Neos and that was a couple years before the Matrix was out.

jfc
05-21-2003, 09:06 AM
If you're going for accuracy and aren't afraid to spend a little money, actually a lot of money, then you should go here.
http://www.abbyshot.com/index.php?inc=products

Karisu-sama
05-21-2003, 11:41 PM
I cosplay Trinity at SF cons, but it's more of an "insta-costume"; it's not like I'm looking for total accuracy, because I am not a crazed-obsessive Matrix fangirl. I don't have the super-shiny vinyl, but I do have black leather jacket / pants / boots, which works well enough.

I still think Neo's robe-thingy makes him look like a Catholic priest. :p

vyrax778
05-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by jfc
If you're going for accuracy and aren't afraid to spend a little money, actually a lot of money, then you should go here.
http://www.abbyshot.com/index.php?inc=products 500 dollers and there not even leather? man thats is pricey.

Garuda_Aiacos
05-22-2003, 01:54 AM
I got mine done for ~USD60 including the material (suiting fabric?), buttons and tailoring. :p Think it will rise up to USD100+ once I upgrade it by adding linings and maybe getting the bottom more wider.

Originally posted by vyrax778
500 dollers and there not even leather? man thats is pricey.

Unfortunately, that is the price we lazy bumbs have to pay. :rolleyes: I regulary check out sites selling those kind of costumes replicas (mostly SW & LOTR) and they will always go into the hundreds and even thousands ranges although the accurate is not even 80%. Of course, there is a few companies that give ones his money worth to the max but most just don't IMHO. Even locally, I keep getting quotes from costume shops for hundreds and once, 2K for costumes that in the end I did for USD100++ (including good quality materials). That's one major reason why I either choose to do my own or use a normal seamstress/tailor. Anyhow, to do that will allow me to know and appreciate my costumes better cause I sweat for it.

ChicoChan
05-22-2003, 11:03 PM
I want trinity's full body viynl suit ^____^
she's so awsome!!!
i want that suit *......*

cutekawaii
05-26-2003, 07:51 PM
omg. i cant believe the vash coat is on a movie fashion site o.o

jfc
05-27-2003, 07:01 AM
That site actually takes suggestions for coats and if enough people ask for the same coat, then they'll make it.:)

kamikazedragon
05-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Just got back from Baycon this past memorial day weekend.
and unfortunatly EVERYONE was wearing their pre-fabbed Neo/trinity/Hot topic bought matrix coats. it's cool untill there are too many doing it.

Chino-San
05-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Their is a problem to this though. You might think that those trench coats are matrix style but they are not. I say their trinity style jackets because not all of the matrix cast wears shiney leather trench coats. But like someone said earlier the prices are too damn high!

Babbit_Chan
05-28-2003, 10:28 AM
It's still pretty interesting, I think (not the corny names they gave them). Even if the prices are high, if you've got the money, shell it out if you want it. They ARE nice ^_^

vyrax778
05-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by kamikazedragon
and unfortunatly EVERYONE was wearing their pre-fabbed Neo/trinity/Hot topic bought matrix coats. it's cool untill there are too many doing it. Reminds me of Ax2k2 with all the Chii Cosplayers.

Chino-San
05-28-2003, 07:10 PM
You know i wouldn't be surpised that hot topic got into this matrix trend thing. I wouldn't be so surpised to see youngin's at the mall pretending their in the matrix and they gotta get out. Where's the smith costumes eh? And get seraph's costume too! he's the badass in the movie not neo!

Babbit_Chan
05-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Chino-san: Damn straight. Maybe they're afraid of being mistaken for cell phone salesmen.

Garuda_Aiacos
05-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Chino-San
You might think that those trench coats are matrix style but they are not. I say their trinity style jackets because not all of the matrix cast wears shiney leather trench coats. But like someone said earlier the prices are too damn high!

If you're refering to the Hot Topics one, those are cheap compared to the other replicas available which goes USD200 and up (but are more accurate physically). Accurate (technically) Movie "replica" costumes never run cheap online.

And as I said in my first post on it, it's inaccurate. I always choose accuracy first before price.

Karisu-sama
05-29-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by kamikazedragon
and unfortunatly EVERYONE was wearing their pre-fabbed Neo/trinity/Hot topic bought matrix coats. it's cool untill there are too many doing it.

Hey, you didn't introduce yourself!! I was at BayCon, but I certainly WASN'T wearing any pre-fabbed Hot Topic duds. (I was Trinity on Friday and Monday, and a Cheron from Classic Star Trek on Saturday, and Shmi Skywalker on Sunday...)

I also was using a pin-on AVR chip Butterfly mini-board as an alternate name badge for the characters. That got attention too.... ^^

Totally ghetto, but I <3 my black leather anyway (and don't like vinyl)... And it got a Hall Costume award. So I ain't complainin'.

http://dragonsgate.net/cosplay/Trinity1.jpg
http://dragonsgate.net/cosplay/Trinity2.jpg
(We did "The Pose" too, but it's on another camera.)

And if I ever want it more accurate, believe me, I know how to sew vinyl. :p But at least my face cosplays this well enough. :p

jfc
05-29-2003, 08:41 AM
In that first picture you do look like Trinity.:)

Is that the Decepticon symbol on that bike?

Chino-San
05-29-2003, 09:02 AM
I think it is scary that you look like trinity
Babbit_Chan: Yeah they will be mistaken for telemarketers as well.
The_Serifita: The hottopic versions of the coats are not so accurate when it comes to material. I think they did a really sloopy job on trying to make it look like the coats. But as far as the other site goes their costumes are awesome. Their the best one I have seen. But for me I pick price over costume. Because if you have 200 bucks and the costume is 400 then the hell? You obviously won't be able to buy the costume because it cost too much regardless of the accuracy.

Garuda_Aiacos
05-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Well, some people are more than willing to pay the price. :\ You and I may not be willing but out there, a number of people are. Like I said before, that's the price ones have to pay for being lazy and it's no different from asking a Professional Costume Shop to make one for you.

Winca
05-29-2003, 05:44 PM
WBShop.com reports that they should have the outfits in July... Morpheus, Neo, and Trinity, in both regular and "Deluxe" versions.

I think it's full body outfit (boots, etc.,. included).

Being a collector, I think I'll get the oufit, a pair of the blinde glasses, and put it on a mannequin for display...

I'm already looking to fork over about 2,500 total for it... :(

Chino-San
05-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Maybe its not that thier lazy. Maybe those people just can't sew and know any people. I think its awesome that they are releasing the costumes out to the public offically. But i will see plenty of neos at cons now..........damnit their goes my share of matrix cosplaying=-/

Garuda_Aiacos
05-30-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Winca
WBShop.com reports that they should have the outfits in July... Morpheus, Neo, and Trinity, in both regular and "Deluxe" versions.

I think it's full body outfit (boots, etc.,. included).

Being a collector, I think I'll get the oufit, a pair of the blinde glasses, and put it on a mannequin for display...

Well, there is a high likeliness that those so called "Official" costumes will be Rubies like these:
http://www.halloweencostumes4u.com/matrix-costumes.html

So that means only the Coat & Shades. Well, we'll see this July if that is true or if WBShop gonna break traditions and really sell high quality costumes.

As for the shades, why not go for one of those Imposterwear-like glasses which although are not durable enough for wearing, but are relatively more accurate and will probably last on the mannequin. This is one of the sites that sell it as pointed up in the other thread (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11977) .
http://www.matrix2sunglasses.com/mat2sun.html

I think its awesome that they are releasing the costumes out to the public offically. But i will see plenty of neos at cons now

Well, as I said above, if those "Officially" costumes are the Rubies costumes (which is very likely), then all those Neos and Trinity and Morpheus and Twins will probably end up punching themselves for wearing their Rubies costumes to cons where serious costumers hang out at (eg: DragonCon, DCComicCon).

Rubies costumes (and some of its props) are very looked down at by the Costuming Community for their lack of accuracy and low quality fabrics used (yes, the catalog pictures are lying). That is the reason why it's called Commercial Halloween costumes cause anybody can just order it online at a fraction of the price of a fan-made replica ones, or go to their local Halloween Shop/TRU/Walmart and get one. It's okay for those one shot kinda costumes or at some local party but at cons, it's very look down by fellow costumers who know their wares very well.

Frankly, even the Costumes Shops I visited commented how bad the quality of the materials used, and most of the times choose to make it themselves but using the Rubies Costumes photos in their catalog.

Chino-San
05-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Wow some of these sites are pretty helpful when it comes to props. The only one i truely would order from is the sunglasses one. But since i am not big on money I just go to the ninety nine cent store and get me a pare of sunglasses similar. Then I make my way up from their. As far as matrix costume in general goes. What so hard about just buying a 20 dollar trench coat, wear a long sleeve shirt a vest tie dress slacks and dress shoes or boots. I mean buying it would just like get the fun out of cosplaying.

Chino-San
05-31-2003, 02:09 AM
You know about that earlier post about the matrix sun glasses. I'ma go order me a pair of Neo sunglasses.

Winca
05-31-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by The_Serifita
Well, there is a high likeliness that those so called "Official" costumes will be Rubies like these:
http://www.halloweencostumes4u.com/matrix-costumes.html

So that means only the Coat & Shades. Well, we'll see this July if that is true or if WBShop gonna break traditions and really sell high quality costumes.

Well, as I said above, if those "Officially" costumes are the Rubies costumes (which is very likely),

There are two versions coming out... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the rubies ones are going to be the "lower end" versions, while the upper end models will probably be actual constructed of the real thing (heavy wool gabardine, crocodile skin?) and probably unfortunately be prohibitively expensive for me.

This is interesting, because this will most likely be a costume that I will never wear, because:

1.) I paid WAAAAAY too much for it (I already know this now)

2.) Everyone's going to wear it to cons (hey, every pasty-faced kid wants to be the One, right?)

3.) I'm not even close to Keanu Reeve's measurements (I think he's like 6'1", and I'm only 5'5"). This is sort of important because I want to get a replica that is closest to what he actually wore in the movie.

But, if indeed it turns out not to be the case (Rubies), I'll go on a lobby spree of my own over at WBshop.com headquarters...

Personally, though, I sort of doubt that it will come to that kind of conclusion, because with a cash cow like the Matrix franchise, they're going to milk it for all it's worth ($250 Blinde glasses??? :()

So, to all you naysayers, here is what I think of your silly, well thought out, calm, rational, logical ideas:

Garuda_Aiacos
05-31-2003, 10:39 AM
Well, as shown on the sites I had given, there is 2-3 version of The Matrix Reloaded Rubies Costumes. Example for Neo, there is Super Deluxe (USD242.00; maybe open on front), Deluxe (USD33-37; open from the waist down) and Standard (USD25-28; open back?). So since WB said they gonna sell the Official Costumes in "Regular" and "Deluxe" version, the possibility that it's Rubies is quite high (WB is selling the Rubies Costumes for Harry Potter anyway when they could had also sell the more "accurate" but more expansive official versions of it from UK's Mark & Spencer and Japan's COSPA instead).

Anyhow from my observation, there is very rare any accurate Official Costumes coming out of WB/LFL/Whatever-Film-Distributor/Maker. Even for props when they do sell it, 50% of the time (especially with WB) they are inaccurate in term of size or design. LOTR does have a large amount of accurate official props & jewelleries but the price is very high and there is still a little inaccuracy among a few of its items. And when it comes to costumes, they also gave in to Rubies.

Anyhow, the Choice is yours alone; no one can make it for you. Just choose wisely.

Just my 0.02. ;)

Chino-San
05-31-2003, 12:10 PM
I do have to agree with Serifita. The chances of these costumes being rubies is very high. It has already begun with the sunglasses. The official Matrix sunglasses are 200 bucks. Winca also makes a good point too. I would wear it only once because of the fact that it is soo much. Plus their is gonna be youngin's at cons or w/e dressing up as neo. But you have to think of it this way Winca. Their is also original characters that you can do. Look at me I have my original Matrix character and he is way better then poser Neo's ^_^.

Winca
06-01-2003, 02:09 PM
But you have to think of it this way Winca. Their is also original characters that you can do. Look at me I have my original Matrix character and he is way better then poser Neo's ^_^.

Oh, you've misunderstood me... what I meant was, this is a costume that I will most likely never wear. This isn't really for cosplaying so much as for collecting as memorabilia (Certificate of Authenticity, and stuff). Of course, as cosplaying, I'm sure that people will come up with some sort of variant that will look better than what the designers did for the Matrix. I'm just trying to find an authentic, licensed replica (PLEASE NOT FROM RUBIES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) of the outfit worn by Keanu Reeves in the Matrix Reloaded.

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Ahh like say for example a replica of a light saber or something. I see where you are getting to then. I think it would be cool if you have a display case with a mannequin wearing the trench coat. That would be spiffy ^_^

Winca
06-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Ahh like say for example a replica of a light saber or something. I see where you are getting to then. I think it would be cool if you have a display case with a mannequin wearing the trench coat. That would be spiffy ^_^

Pretty much. Mannequin w/trenchcoat, with little COA on the bottom of the display.

I'm trying to find out how much a lighted case would cost... or maybe I could find something and reverse engineer it...

BUT, like I specified before, if this falls through (THANK YOU FOR YOUR SHODDY WORK, RUBIES), then I'm probably just going to get myself an abbyshot.com trenchcoat... I hear they do amazing work.

Chino-San
06-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Indeed they did do a good job but the collar of the trench coat for that site isn't that accurate but the materials are right though. If your going to get a lighted case forget it. That'll cost a fortune

Trinity
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
All right, Trinity cosplayer getting up on her soapbox right .. here and now! ^^;

For my Trinity costume I am going to use the Hot Topic jacket for the sole reason that I can't afford anything else close to the likeness. I don't think it's a bad replica, though it could be much better, and it gets the job done, more or less. If I had the money and means I'd without a doubt make my own. I think that the problem with Matrix cosplay now is that people will just put on the jacket and say 'Hey look, I'm Neo/Trinity/Morpheus', etc. And that's what I'm trying to avoid. My sunglasses are perfectly accurate and so will be my shoes and the like. So I think it really has to do with how much attention you pay to detail with the means you have available. I know that Artema used the Hot Topic jacket at A-kon because she told me and she looked very nice. So I really just firmly believe that as long as enough detail is put into the other parts, it can't go wrong.

Of course, contrary to popular belief, the outfit Trinity wears in Reloaded is not a bodysuit. ^^; I've analyzed it enough to know what it's made up of. And I'm thankful for that because strutting around the premiere in a full vinyl bodysuit is not something I wanted to do. I believe breathing is a good thing!

And Trinity = vinyl. Not leather, methinks.

peaseblossom
07-05-2003, 10:35 PM
They look good, but Hot Topic's clothing(aside from tshirts) tend to be really poorly made. Chances are you'll pay an arm and a leg only to have it fall apart not too long after you wear it for the first or second time. Hot Topic sucks.

Chino-San
07-07-2003, 03:41 AM
Amen to that sista ^_^

Kortnie Li
07-15-2003, 11:18 AM
*noddles* All my hot topic pants have fallen apart lol

Trinity
07-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Augh .. I hope it holds together all right. I've been playing with the jacket for a few months now and I just hope it can withstand Otakon and AnimeFest, at least. It should be able to .. I'm gentle with delicate things! XD

Kortnie Li
07-20-2003, 02:54 PM
^_^; I think it maybe able to withstand it, it doesn't look like it would fall apart really easily...

chesh
07-20-2003, 05:10 PM
And on the upside, if it falls apart after the cons, you can just buy a seam ripper, take the rest of the seams out and voila! Instant coat pattern!