PDA

View Full Version : D*Con Cosplay Contest

jesspanda
07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Yo!

Since I've got the info and I've got the 'final' schedule (the higher-ups are always apt to change anything that they please before con time), I thought I would announce the Cosplay Contest for D*Con 2k7.

I've sent in all the material to the web guy to put up, but he is beyond swamped, so I'll post what I can here as well. Pre-judging is at 11:30am in the anime room (Vinings, the Hyatt friggin' basement), and the contest itself is in International North at 2:30pm (both on Saturday).

I don't have the forms up anywhere until the web guy gets them up (there will be forms aplenty at the con), but rules are basic: no skits, two categories (group and individual) and as many awards in those categories as we have prizes for, plus there will be time slots for pre-judging, so you aren't stuck there for like 2 hours or something.

Judges are Anne Petty, Vic Mignogna and Steve Bennett, people are encouraged to bring printed picture references.

I can't do anything about the times, if anybody has a problem with them I'm sorry. I didn't even get to pick the cosplay contest timing, and the pre-judging had to be scheduled around one of our guests' schedules, so blargh. But if you have any questions or such, shoot them to me at anime@dragoncon.com.

Hope to see you guys there! We're also getting a big room for the late night panels this year (read: hentai and yaoi)! woo!

~Jess~

london2191
07-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Yayyy! I'm so excited for this! I will /most definitely/ be entering. Go D*C staff!

vampirate
07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
The one time when I know when and where the cosplay contest is going to be and I'll be busy with other plans. :(

I was hoping to enter this year.

orca_sora
07-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Score! Will there be info posted to the official con site, or will more be posted here?

sakura-chan87
07-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Ah I see. So this is just anime costumes only, right? (*ponders*)

I might enter. I'll have to see what I've got going on. Thanks for the info! ^_^

halafax
07-31-2007, 10:10 AM
*taps fingers on desk*

I dont know if I am willing to subject myself to that again. Last year at the "fabrication contest" I spent three hours to get insulted by the judges.

Could we get some more info on this?

Space Invader
07-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Is this open only to anime costumes, or to video game costumes as well?

TheDemon2300
07-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Sweet, I'll probably enter.

jesspanda
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Anime and Video games are applicable, and the three judges (so far via email) have been SUPER nice. Rules and printable sign-up sheets are available on the "Contests" page of dragoncon.org as of today, but if you have any other specific questions, just let me know.

~Jess~

minako chan
08-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I recognize Steve's name, but who are the other two? Do they have any costuming experience?

Digital Blush
08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I recognize Steve's name, but who are the other two? Do they have any costuming experience?

Vic is a voice actor for Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist.

I'm pretty sure they don't have any costuming experience..

vampirate
08-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Is there any possibility that maybe they'll peg down a standard time for the cosplay contest? That way if we knew it was going to be at the same time every year we could plan around it. I know I personally start making my plans for shoots and gatherings way in advance.

minako chan
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
So I'm guessing the judging is going to be based more on portrayal of character than craftsmanship? How are they going to detect those that did not make their costumes but enter them anyway?

sakura-chan87
08-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Please pardon my asking, but what the HELL does a VOICE ACTOR know about costume making??? I find that to be a bit...insulting almost. I'm thinking Vic might only be up for this for publicity reasons over anything else. xP
So I'm guessing the judging is going to be based more on portrayal of character than craftsmanship? How are they going to detect those that did not make their costumes but enter them anyway?
MY POINT EXACTLY.

Just to add on: I've had many people come up to me and ask if I've bought my costumes either in the Dealer's room or online and I've stared at their audacity before realizing that they're really serious. I take PRIDE in the fact that I've made ALL of my costumes.
I've been in costume contests and masquerades where I've met and chatted with contestants before the event who have OPENLY stated that they had purchased their costumes, without crediting any commissioners, and yet have walked away with an award from the event while the real costumers have been brushed aside. I personally take offense to that.
I do hope Mr. Mignogna knows what he's getting himself into. One small mistake like that, and I'll personally dissuade people from entering in the future if voice actors are judging in the future. I'm serious. XP

Anyhow, isn't the pre-judging time RIGHT after the parade on Saturday? Or is this in lieu of the parade?

TheDemon2300
08-01-2007, 10:45 PM
After viewing the printable Registration form, you'll notice that there's a place on said form to say if your costume is homemade or not.

Besides, I personally see nothing wrong with buying your own costume if you lack the skills/resources to make your own costume.

Kandascending
08-02-2007, 12:18 AM
After viewing the printable Registration form, you'll notice that there's a place on said form to say if your costume is homemade or not.

Besides, I personally see nothing wrong with buying your own costume if you lack the skills/resources to make your own costume.

I think the issue here is not that people BUY there costume but that people BUY the costume and then enter the contest and win. The costuming contest is about the costumes and it's a rule of honor YOU make any costume you enter.

Well-known cosplayers have gotten into major trouble for this and it's really just plain rude that you should enter someone elses work and get all the glory.

Besides it's so easy to claim that you made the costume when, in reality, you didn't. That's why more and more contests are getting cosplayers of some reknown to be the judges. Cuz they can usually tell and they can ask the right questions to find out if someone's lying. *nod* (I personally think that maybe there should be at least one cosplayer among the judges.)

Would there be enough time for those of us who march in the parade to get to judging? Or would we have to choose between the parade and being judged?

TheDemon2300
08-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Ah, I see what you mean. Well, I can assure you right now that I'm not going to try lying and saying that I made my costume, etc. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who make their own costumes.
I bought every piece of mine off of eBay ('cept for the socks and shoes, which I'm going to have to pick up at the Con this year and the Sword that I got last year) and I'm planning on entering for the fun of it. If I win, cool. If not, c'est la vie.
Besides, this is going to be my first hardcore costume that I'm wearing to D*Con. Last year's homemade last minute/thrown-together Battle School uniform (from Ender's Game)was just a test. I've gotta at least try a contest or 2.

Oh, and since the Pre-Judging doesn't start till 11:30, there should be just enough time if you head there right after the parade. 's probably what I'm going to be doing.

halafax
08-02-2007, 08:00 AM
SO let me get this straight, a voice actor, an author, and a comic artist? What do any of these people know about costuming?

Some how I dont see this being any better than the fabrication contest.

TheDemon2300
08-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Well, I don't know about the other 2, but according to ANN (Anime News Network), Vic has made appearances at at least 19 Cons. I think that with that many Cons, he's seen more than enough cosplayers. The good, the bad, and the "why did you even bother".

So he's got my faith and support.

jesspanda
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately, a lot of this was pushed on me from the get-go. Anne Petty actually has been a big help to the cosplay contest for several years, and usually is a judge. I'm not all that familiar with her costume experiences, but I do know that she has judged a slew of these contests and has proved a MORE than valuable help in the actual planning of the contest.

A lot of the guest/judge (in fact, pretty much all of the guests themselves were already setup before I became a track director) selection was encouraged and essentially already set-up for me. The only reason the rules and sign-ups were changed is because I altered them myself, variants on the MomoCon information. Trust me, next year will have a lot more time and planning for it, given that I'll have a full year to do things with a full staff. It was enough this year just to GET the opportunity for pre-judging (and, no, I was not given a choice on the timing of the contest or the pre-judging due to the need for large rooms being handled by the higher-ups), just so people are not rushed through the stage show, get to say NOTHING about their costume, and then the judges are rushed into a decision while the audience has to wait. Pre-judging will be taking people in for the entirety of the hour, and forms are available to print and fill out beforehand to have ready.
DragonCon is a BIG convention, and I understand that sometimes the lowly anime track events have to get the shaft (not that i'm happy about it).

If you have suggestions, BY ALL MEANS make them to me and we'll work on next year to improve the track and the cosplay contest. I'm not gonna say that we've got the best choices for judges, but all three HAVE been to many many conventions and have previously been affiliated with other costume contests (Steve Bennett has been to, literally, hundreds of events). I do the best I can with what I'm given. We'll make it better in days to come, so long as you guys help me out with suggestions.

~Jess~

TechieCL
08-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Some how I don't see this being any better than the fabrication contest.

Look, I know everything isn't ideal. But, Jess worked very closely with me in developing this MomoCon 2007's costume contest. She understands the concerns ya'll have and truly wants the whole track to be good not just the costume contest.

Every Dragon*Con vet knows the Anime track has repeatedly gotten screwed over all other tracks. But at least this year we've got someone truly cares heading up it. The best chances of improving it every year is to take part and make constructive criticisms and suggestions to improve it.

Nothings going to be learned if no one shows.

and at least a "Voice actor", "Comic Artist", and "Author" probably won't be jerks like what I hear the Fabrication judges were like and those guys knew about the craft...

sakura-chan87
08-06-2007, 01:00 AM
(*sighs*) Be that as it may, I somehow HIGHLY doubt that that "voice actor", "comic artist" and "author" know DIDILLY SQUAT about costume making and quality though, unless they've done it before. >_<;

Regardless, I still have my apprehensions. If this turns out poorly, it will be the very last time I enter a cosplay contest with judges like that.

london2191
08-06-2007, 06:44 AM
Well, I'm just happy period that we get a contest. There are a handful of other contests people can try out for if they're not happy with this one.

halafax
08-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Im not saying she didnt work hard. But the judges at the fabrication contest were flat out rude. They told me my prop wasnt part of my costume...

Im in debate about this. Id like to see how my skills are compared to other cosplayers....

Its the early thing...bad early thing...

orca_sora
08-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Personally, I think that the choices for the judges are fine. I think what a lot of people tend to forget when they get involved with cosplay is that the whole point of it is to have fun. You get to dress up and pretend to be someone else for a day. With all that D*Con has to offer, I don't get why anyone should be all upset over the choice of judges for the anime track's cosplay contest. Personally, the bigger anime cons I think would be where the serious anime/manga cosplayers go for their costumes to be judged on craftsmanship. And you know, I've been to plenty of contests where it doesn't matter who the judges are, they're still going to be biased. I've seen many intricate, elaborate, and well-made costumes that were made by the wearer walk away without an award when someone else with something more sub-par made it through with full honors. And these "judges" were supposedly experts.

For me, I go for the fun - and I cosplay for the fun of it. My costumes are primarily 90% done by one of my best friends. I take care of props and smaller details, like shoes and accessories. I take no credit for everything she has made for me, I give it all to her, and make sure to tell people that when they comment on my costumes. We plan to enter this contest, and whatever recognition we get will be given to her. The point is, not everyone can sew. It's up to the individual to ensure that the artist is given appropriate credit. I don't think people should be excluded from contests simply because they didn't make the costume his or herself. After all, if we took everything so seriously, it wouldn't be fun anymore, and people would stop doing it. Craftsmanship IS important, but I think we can allow that to be a separate category and have other category for others who aren't as skilled to have an equal chance at getting a prize for a good costume.

Bottom line? If you have a problem with it, then don't bother. Simple as that. I don't understand folks who attend things they are obviously unhappy with, because the rest of us who DO want to be there have to suffer their complaints. That's my two cents.

halafax
08-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Personally, I think that the choices for the judges are fine. I think what a lot of people tend to forget when they get involved with cosplay is that the whole point of it is to have fun. You get to dress up and pretend to be someone else for a day. With all that D*Con has to offer, I don't get why anyone should be all upset over the choice of judges for the anime track's cosplay contest. Personally, the bigger anime cons I think would be where the serious anime/manga cosplayers go for their costumes to be judged on craftsmanship. And you know, I've been to plenty of contests where it doesn't matter who the judges are, they're still going to be biased. I've seen many intricate, elaborate, and well-made costumes that were made by the wearer walk away without an award when someone else with something more sub-par made it through with full honors. And these "judges" were supposedly experts.

For me, I go for the fun - and I cosplay for the fun of it. My costumes are primarily 90% done by one of my best friends. I take care of props and smaller details, like shoes and accessories. I take no credit for everything she has made for me, I give it all to her, and make sure to tell people that when they comment on my costumes. We plan to enter this contest, and whatever recognition we get will be given to her. The point is, not everyone can sew. It's up to the individual to ensure that the artist is given appropriate credit. I don't think people should be excluded from contests simply because they didn't make the costume his or herself. After all, if we took everything so seriously, it wouldn't be fun anymore, and people would stop doing it. Craftsmanship IS important, but I think we can allow that to be a separate category and have other category for others who aren't as skilled to have an equal chance at getting a prize for a good costume.

Bottom line? If you have a problem with it, then don't bother. Simple as that. I don't understand folks who attend things they are obviously unhappy with, because the rest of us who DO want to be there have to suffer their complaints. That's my two cents.

*hands you back your two cents*

If you did happen to enter the fabrication contest last you would understand why many of us arent jumping for joy for this.

It took me and two of my friends a year to finish my gungrave. I then redid my coat and entered the fabricatin contest last year and what did I get? beat out by the babalyon 5 family? Are you kidding? So before you go on complaining that others are complaining read why the people are upset with the idea before you go spouting off at the mouth because you think we have nothing to be worried about.
After spending three hours in line to be "prejudged" I am treated badly because the judges dont care. Then I get my moment on stage and then Im off, and then they announce the winners...yeah...so before you get all uppity about people being worried about what might happen at this contest try wasting your time and energy only to be insulted and belittled because the judges are jerks. Im not the only person who was treated badly by the judges at the fabrication contest. If you read the post you will notice that most people dont want to have a repeat of the first fabrication contest. Also how are any of these people qualified to judge this contest? That is what people are asking, not complaining because some other voice actor didnt get picked or some other author didnt get picked. All the concerns that people have brought to the table are valid concerns, not trying to get sympathy and attention because we crave it. So I dont complain to complain, Im just stating what Ive experienced. Same with anyone else who has voiced concerns, so thank you for playing, and please drive through...

vampirate
08-16-2007, 09:10 AM
jesspanda: What about my suggestion of trying to peg down a normal time for the contest? That way more of us could plan to enter. I know a lot of us start planning shoots and gatherings months before the con, but we try to schedule around things people involved would want to do(like contests and the parade). And at least personally, all my other major events were planned before we even learned the time of the contest.

The only other thing I'm really bothered by is that there is even the option to enter in a bought costume. In my opinion the only contests you should be allowed to enter with a costume you did not make(unless you have your commissioner there with you and have their permission) are look-a-like contests.

Hotaru230
08-16-2007, 10:11 AM
sat! 0_0 i swore that the D*C site said friday. i was thinking about entering with an Invader Zim group. would that be allowed?

but then again i may not be able to enter due to it being sat and not fri, so much is going on on sat and i was planing on wearing my Lady Shiva for most of the day for the DC vs Marvel shoot.

i'm on the band wagon with these judges not being qualified too. just because they've been to a lot of events like this doesn't mean that they know anything about cosplay. and i agree that it isn't really fair to people who put a lot of hard work into their hand made stuff. there should be at least one judge that knows about cosplay creation.

DalaiLiam
08-16-2007, 10:52 AM
This may be a little unfounded, and I appologize if it is, but the way a lot of those posts read. It's surpassed "Constructive" and is just being critical. If that is how you have to adress someone to be understood, then please allow me to help you all UNDERSTAND.

I will totally disagree and say that a voice actor, a comic artist, and an author will do a pretty good job.

Why do I say this?

Voice actor - Has a considerable amount of cons under his belt. He's been attacked and worshiped by several fangirls at one point or another. There's a level of closeness there that I believe would lend to being able to tell who tried really hard and failed at a costume and who did a really good job. Let's be honest while most of us may all be really nice at cons, when we see a really poor costume, sometimes we can't help but wrinkle our brows. I imagine any veteran con-goer has this sense. This includes voice actors. He may not do the best job, but I imagine Vic will do a pretty good job. If your concerned that "Pretty good job" isn't good enough, you take it way to seriously. the only fun you have is winning. don't enter. You ruin it for the rest of us.

Comic book artist- Please. this is the MOST viable person EVAR to judge. You say he/she knows nothing about costume making. If he has an art background he more than likely knows more than you. What is costume making? Why that would be taking something from paper or animation and making it a reality. What does a comic artist do? Why he takes something from reality and puts it on paper. He reverse engineers your "Cosplay methods". (S)He understands the relation between paper/reality VERY well. Not to toot my own horn here, but I am by no means a "Professional tailor" or "Pro Prop maker". I do have a rather extensive art background though. From understanding the basics of art, I can easily apply that to cosplay and costume making. I DO get a lot of questions asked to me by people who compete in the masters category. I am not a master. Do some math there, apply that to the situation. If you bring refrence pictures, this IS your (wo)man.

Author - Someone help me out here. I can't figure out how this profession makes a valid argument. I'm sure on a personal or hobbiest level (s)he has some sort of idea what's going on. Anywho, 2 out of 3 judges ain't bad. Worst case scenarios, she's our "Simon" and blesses us with color comentary.

Off color point - Most of the people you come to cons to impress with your elaborate costumes are people who DO NOT cosplay. If your willing to impress them why is it not valid for a judge to be impressed. Winning admiration from someone who knows nothing about what you do is easily the same as winning the admiration from someone who knows exactly what you do.

Lastly, we have Jess. This is nothing but a sign for improvement. We have Jess, as opposed to the nameless faceless entity that organized last years and the year before and the year before that, ect. I have always found Jess to be approachable(aside from when she's running around like a chicken with her head cut off trying to find chairs or tables at the last moment). She will listen to your comments and suggestions and try to apply them the next time. Just have some faith, people. Everything can ALWAYS be improved. What is notable is the amount of improvement from the last time not what's not done. No one ever talks about the lack of anti-lock brakes on older muscle cars, they talk about the engine.

I hope, despite my lack of tact, that maybe this has caused some of the unsatisfied people to realize there are some other points that they had not taken into consideration.

halafax
08-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Ill be honest you state your arguments well. No tact issues here, read the post previous to my last post, thats tactlessness. Generally I just worry that D*C will do to this contest what they did to the fabrication contest. Im still in debate if Im going to enter, though I guess I should decide soon. Problem is my make up person is in the parade, so I am not sure what to do...

I dunno

orca_sora
08-16-2007, 12:00 PM
We're all entitled our opinions, halafax - I fail to see any tactlessness in that. I'm in total agreement with DalaiLiam on the points given. I have read every post in this thread and I understand where those that are more die-hard and protective of their craft are coming from. My point is is that if someone has a problem with something, then who says they have to enter? Everyone has a right to be displeased but what does it accomplish by continuing to gripe about it? This is my first D*Con. I haven't been to the fabrication contest but what has been described about it isn't anything I've never heard of from different cosplay contests at larger anime cons or even smaller ones. From what I've heard from my more serious cosplay friends, frankly cosplay contests are a waste of time *because* of everything that has been described. I've yet to hear from anyone about a cosplay contest being "fair". Look at it this way, it's not a professional arena - it can't be, we're dealing with copyrighted material. That's why this is fun and I think that's what you're failing to get here. So excuse me when I give your comment back because I'm sorry, if you were just "voicing concerns" then you wouldn't be jumping on people for being on the other team.

I personally think there should be a special category for craftsmanship, and yes, I think that at least one of the judges should be an experienced cosplayer to be able to judge that. I would have to disagree about an author not knowing about costume construction, however. My degree is in creative writing and I can testify that we put a lot of work into crafting worlds and people, and what they wear is a part of that. An author would just as easily be able to gauge accuracy and anyone should be able to tell what's a shabby construction job or not.

Like what has already been said, the anime track at D*Con gets the short end of the stick and isn't taken as seriously as the bigger tracks. The organizer is working with what she's been given. Is it ideal? No. But I'm going to have fun and if someone with an FMA uniform made out of duct tape and Velcro wins the contest over my group, then power to them - I've walked away with a good time. So I'll take these two cents and find 97 more to get me a soda.

Space Invader
08-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I agree with DalaiLiam - this thread has turned into nothing but whining about how bad people THINK the contest is going to be. I know these judges have been around the con circuit for many years and have judged other contests, so I think they'll do a decent job. So people want to enter? Good, let them, and don't try and tell them they're wrong for doing it. If you don't want to enter - don't do it. No one is twisting your arm.

If you're REALLY concerned about craftsmanship, enter the Friday Night Costume Contest. I'm sure I'll get jumped all over for this, but I felt that it was run fairly well for being a first year event with severe time restrictions. I think the other winners definitely deserved their prizes. There were many other costumes I would have liked to see get awards, but I know from first-hand experience that many times judges are faced with lots of great entries and too few prizes.

halafax
08-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Before we go into flame war, I never jumped on anyone for anything. However you going on saying that you have to endure our complaints is. Anyone what said anything about the contest never said the person organizing this contest is not working as hard as she can. She was given a group of judges that dont know what goes into cosplay. How much time and effort we as cosplayers put into making our costumes. Having someone who does costumes and builds props on the panel would be awesome. A comic artist is just that an artist. They draw. They do not go and find random odds and ends and make the super uber mega ginormous prop that glows in the dark. Its art, but that is like saying a sculpture and a painter do the same thing. They do not.
My degree is in rhetoric and communication. We do the same thing. I know what goes into putting together a paper, then again as a college grad I also know how to put together a research paper like anyone else that has been in college.
My point is that if this contest is treated like the fabrication contest then we as cosplayers are not getting what we want, but what they feel we need. IN that we are being placated.
WHo knows maybe all the people that are worried are wrong. Maybe we are not. But long and the short of it, you going on complaining about having to endure our complaints is tactless, its a forum in which we get to say what we want and how we feel. Those of us that wasted our time with the fabrication contest do not wnat to spend another 3-5 hours standing around waiting for the judges to get through everyone and then pick out people they know to win. Thats what most everyone on here is saying. The time is not that big of a deal. If people had other plans, but really wanted to enter they could come up with something.

*shrugs*

Does not really matter, when the contest is over we will see what happens. I am still in debate about entering. I have to talk to my make up person and see how this is going to work out.

Space Invader
08-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Those of us that wasted our time with the fabrication contest do not wnat to spend another 3-5 hours standing around waiting for the judges to get through everyone and then pick out people they know to win.

I know your post probably wasn't directed at me, but I find this bit quite insulting. I won an award at the Fabrications contest last year and I didn't know the judges at all. :\

Kandascending
08-16-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm gonna step in here and say that yes, an artist is an artist, but if I showed a comic artist a large scale sculpt would they know how to do it? No. If I showed a sculpter a delicate piece of origami would they know how to do it? Probably not. The point is all artists aren't the same, and saying they are is kinda...like saying a pizza boy and a professional chef can both make great filet mignon. They both work in the food industry right?

It really doesn't seem like anyone is paying attention to the other side in this argument. Yes, Jess is working hard, yes she's working with what she's given but that's not the point here. Yes, Vic's judged before and ya know what? Because of him I won an award. But I'm half-inclined to think it was partly because were cosplaying from a series he did a voice in.

I think what the people who are leery about this are afraid of is some crappily done/commissioned off Ebay Ed Elric will take home a prize that would be better suited to someone else, simply because they were Ed Elric. Or because the person happened to be friends with Steve Bennett from another convention. Or because someone raved to Anne Petty about loving her books. Having an actual cosplayer on the panel would, perhaps, keep that from happening. (I'm flashing to PersaCon a few years ago where the only reason the people who won Best in Show, won Best in Show was because they were buddy buddy with the girl who runs the con. -_- There were far better costumes in the contest that didn't win squat. There was no cosplayer judge there either.)

It also keeps us from going on the honor system. "Did you buy this costume off of Ebay?" "No. >.>" How would someone who doesn't have a lot of sewing experience know the difference? Heck, I still don't know the difference unless I ask them how they made something and they can't answer or try to make up something dumb. Which, if I hadn't been a costumer myself, I probably wouldn't have known.

I'm not worrying too much about this years contest but most of these concerns should be (And hopefully are *waves at Jess and Techie*) taken into consideration for next year. Heck, there's plenty of local area cosplayers and costumers who could be asked, who have won several awards.

DalaiLiam
08-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Ok ,
Orca, Corner. :p
Halafax, Other corner. :D

Kind of glad to see you guys arguing with each other since I was feeling my opinion was in the minority and disagreeing tends to start drama. Anywho... to address some points that have been brought up (and I am by no means an authority on how things will run, it's just my educated guess)

I doubt there will be a 3-5 hour waiting period to be judged. Jess and Techie handled the costume contest at momocon very well. Simply sign up, receive a time for judging. It was run very punctual, and due to other people trying to run around and last minute things, some people not in line were cut and had to come back after everyone else was done. It was the most fair way to do it. Even with that and getting there a few minutes early, I only waited maybe 15 minutes to be judged. Which was a nice excuse to talk to cosplayers in line.

In short, I imagine it'll be the same way. You'll sign up, be assigned a time for pre-judging, you show up at that time and if you miss it you show up later when everyone else is scheduled to be done being judged. After all that, you show up at the actual contest to do your walk-on and find out who wins.

Other cons I've been to you just kind of form a retartedly long line, sit in a hallway and wait till it's your turn. It's unnecessary. DC'll be cool.

I hope that puts one of your fears to rest Hallafax.

And some of your others. I'm a sculptor, (or so my diploma says, my profession says otherwise) My first job out of college however was Graphic design/Illustrator. While, Yes, they are two different things they are closely related through principles. This lends itself to being able to examine qualities of things. I can draw a straight line, but I am not skilled enough(despite my best efforts) to sew one. Just because I lack the skill to create a straight hem does not mean that I cannot Identify one. It's the same with the judges. I'm pretty sure anyone can tell the difference between frayed duck cloth and well hemmed bridal satin. Same goes for duct taped cardboard and sanded fiberglass. Those are easy distinctions to make.

However, I think this is all the part that you all fear here. The fine differences. I'll say this now, because this is an absolute truth. NO CONTEST WILL BE JUDGED COMPLETELY FAIRLY. Why you ask? Because art is objective and cosplay is an art. When presented with 2 identical balls of different colors, you choose the one who's color you like the most. This often happens in competitions as well. When 2 costumes of equal skill are judged, the one with the content that appeals more to the judge will score higher. I acknowledged this a while ago, and because of that I'm happy if I just get a noteworthy place, even if I don't win the grand prize.

I, however, do agree with everyone that more specialized judges would be a welcome sight. Someone who deals with sewing and someone who deals with props and whatnot. Mostly because I like to talk to judges about the craft during judging. I feel like they are a bit more appreciative of the work involved, and as stated above can point out a fraud. It should be done as a courtesy to the contestants when possible(this was not that time). I do, however, not feel that this technical knowledge and appreciation makes them any more valid to state what looks good and what doesn't.

But yes, I think that next year I'd like to see a technical judge, a prop judge, a craftsmanship judge, and sewing(has to be a much more appropriate word) judge.

halafax
08-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I know your post probably wasn't directed at me, but I find this bit quite insulting. I won an award at the Fabrications contest last year and I didn't know the judges at all. :\

No it wasnt directed at you. But from what Ive heard from various people, some of the winners won because they knew the judges. There were a few of the winners I was not impressed with at all. There were better costumes than some of the ones that won. I didnt mean to offend you. But After that mess? It was hard to swallow.

crappy double posts and their unwillingness to be deleted.

Well said. Maybe Ill see if I can get a later prejudging time. Im curious to see how this contest plays out. WHo knows maybe Ill get beat down for worrying so much...Im allowed to worry...

minako chan
08-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Have any of you ever met Steve Bennett? If you're female, the less you wear, the higher the score you'll probably get from him. That's all I'm gonna say about that...

vampirate
08-16-2007, 07:49 PM
But yes, I think that next year I'd like to see a technical judge, a prop judge, a craftsmanship judge, and sewing(has to be a much more appropriate word) judge.

How about a seamstress or tailor. I personally think it would be cool if you guys got a guest from the Costuming track to judge who is more into other types of costumes other than anime/manga/video games. I think an artisan who is more into things like sci-fi and movie replica costumes could look at costumes from the cosplay world a bit more objectively. If they can't tell Final Fantasy from Evangelion then there is no way they could push for the costume from their favorite series for example. They would have to judged just based off of craftsmanship and provided reference art. And they'd have a fresh mind for it since they wouldn't have already seen billions of Naruto costumes.

Reatrea
08-16-2007, 07:54 PM
No Skits!? *cries* We had one all planned out! Oh poo!

sakura-chan87
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
=/ this sucks. It's starting to sound more and more like the AWA costume contest. They're not pre-judging this event, are they? >_<

So if no skits, do we just do walk-ons? It'll go by much quicker if that is the case.

Space Invader
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
... They are prejudging. It says so on the front page - it'll be early on Saturday, with the stage part of the contest later in the day.

Brittany Bunny
08-16-2007, 11:17 PM
So what if it isn't OMG HARDCORE CONSTRUCTION! Costume Contest? It's a fun, lighthearted costume contest. If you're so offended by the concept, then don't enter. I'm sure there will be several other people that are ready and willing to enter.

I'm HAPPY there are not skits. I've been to this contest before and it was held in the anime track room....there is not tons of room. So there is especially no room for people to running and jumping and doing poorly done staged fights.

TheDemon2300
08-17-2007, 08:53 AM
So what if it isn't OMG HARDCORE CONSTRUCTION! Costume Contest? It's a fun, lighthearted costume contest. If you're so offended by the concept, then don't enter. I'm sure there will be several other people that are ready and willing to enter.

I'm HAPPY there are not skits. I've been to this contest before and it was held in the anime track room....there is not tons of room. So there is especially no room for people to running and jumping and doing poorly done staged fights.

Agreed. Besides, I wouldn't want to do any "staged fights" anyway, since my sword is so heavy (yeah, I got the actual sword that was on sale at Con last year...so sue me for being lazy.)

Brittany Bunny
08-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Agreed. Besides, I wouldn't want to do any "staged fights" anyway, since my sword is so heavy (yeah, I got the actual sword that was on sale at Con last year...so sue me for being lazy.)

You're not lazy for buying it; my husband would rather have real swords and stuff, just because he likes real weapons and knowing that if need be, he can actually use it, lol.

There are TONS of conventions that allow skits, so I see no problem if this little bitty one at D*C doesn't have them.

Draculina
08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
*headdeskheaddesk*

I'm not going to stir the pot...all I have to contribute to this thread is...Jess, you're taking on a mammoth event to organize and you have my utmost support. You did a great job w/ Momo and you'll do a great job with this. I guess you can't please everyone, especially cosplayers.

For those of you entering the contest...we'll have tons of fun. Seriously. I love light-hearted, friendly competition, plus If I'm gonna pay a hard-earned 80 bucks to go to a con, I'm gonna try my damndest to have a good time, no matter what the circumstances. I advise the rest of you to do the same.

london2191
08-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Um...anwayyyyyy, are there any new updates or final details for this wonderous contest? =)

Reatrea
08-18-2007, 11:10 AM
*sigh* I can only go to D*C. One con a year. :bigcry:

Anyways, I'm guessing we have to go to the Pre-Judging?

DalaiLiam
08-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I hung out with Techie today for a bit. He confirms thatJess is using the same procedures as momocon. it should run smoothly.

Rukia_Kurosaki
08-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Good luck with this Jess! Do what you think is best for it!

orca_sora
08-20-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm hoping someone may know - the Email address on the website bounces everything back as full, and I sent a PM last week and haven't heard anything yet. I have some questions that my group is basically waiting to here answers for so we can decide to commit or not (as we currently have a photoshoot scheduled for the same time as the contest and need to know if we're going to cancel that or not):

While myself and one other person in the group made a few pieces of our costumes, the majority of them were made by our one friend in the same group. Our fourth person made hers completely by herself. Will we still be able to enter as a group? How would that work?

Also, as for entering, when do we have to submit the forms we print from the website? Is it on-site at the start of pre-judging on Saturday or can we do it earlier? We plan to be in the parade, so I would imagine we'll be running from that to pre-judging to be there on time. Is there a cut-off time or is it done by a certain number of entrants at which point will be capped?

(We've never done the group cosplay contest route before, so we want to make sure we don't exceed any rules)

TechieCL
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm hoping someone may know - the Email address on the website bounces everything back as full, and I sent a PM last week and haven't heard anything yet. I have some questions that my group is basically waiting to here answers for so we can decide to commit or not (as we currently have a photoshoot scheduled for the same time as the contest and need to know if we're going to cancel that or not):

While myself and one other person in the group made a few pieces of our costumes, the majority of them were made by our one friend in the same group. Our fourth person made hers completely by herself. Will we still be able to enter as a group? How would that work?

Also, as for entering, when do we have to submit the forms we print from the website? Is it on-site at the start of pre-judging on Saturday or can we do it earlier? We plan to be in the parade, so I would imagine we'll be running from that to pre-judging to be there on time. Is there a cut-off time or is it done by a certain number of entrants at which point will be capped?

(We've never done the group cosplay contest route before, so we want to make sure we don't exceed any rules)

Jess tells me that there have been reoccurring issues with her Dragon*Con email. I'll be sure to let her know that there's questions posted here.

Though, I do know there is no online entry. Best to fill it out in advance, so you don't have to waste time at the con. The whole question about making your costume is to separate people who ordered there's off of Ebay etc as opposed to whose who were hand-made. Since you're a group, I'd put "YES, you made your costume" and in the notes say a group member made what pieces.

Considering past cosplay contests turn outs, I don't think you should worry about an entry cap.

sakura-chan87
08-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Anyhow, as London asked, what are the final details for this event?

What day is it? What time is it? Where will it be located?

orca_sora
08-21-2007, 11:21 AM
TechieCL - Thanks for the info. Now we just have to make a decision XD

sakura-chan87 - I think that info has been updated to the first page of this thread.

jesspanda
08-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Things like 1) different judges, 2) better and more solid time for contest, and 3) non-parade-interfering time are definately on the list for next year. Trust me. I'm here, I look, I listen, and I don't really take anything as have been meant to offend me. I've been working from the outside to try to improve this track for years now, with little to no luck, so I can only take things one step at a time.

I'm not promising perfection the first time out the gate, nor do I expect it. If you have issue with the contest, wait until next year when we (i.e. the anime community/staff for the Anime Track) have more time and more say in what goes down in the Anime Track, or sign up for one of DragonCon's other multitude of costuming contests. But don't assume that we aren't listening.

The convention is only about a week away and I'm still fighting to add panels for big-name guests that were added late to the guest listing. We'll get through the cosplay contest this year, and make it better next year. That I can assure you.

~Jess~
P.S. Sorry to say, so long as my crew is running the Anime Track, there will be no skits. We do not have the time for them, and, in my opinion, the amount of bad ones far outweighs the amount of good ones. Plus the contest is signifigantly shorter without them.

vampirate
08-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Jess: Sounds like you've got a lot of good ideas for next year . I hope everything works out and I'll be able to enter then. And please keep it no skits! Personally I like it better that way. And it seems like judging would be even more of a hassle if you were having to deal with judging both costumes and skits.

DalaiLiam
08-23-2007, 07:16 AM
P.S. Sorry to say, so long as my crew is running the Anime Track, there will be no skits. We do not have the time for them, and, in my opinion, the amount of bad ones far outweighs the amount of good ones. Plus the contest is significantly shorter without them.

Seconded. We do not have a group of stormtroopers to strong-arm individuals.

DalaiLiam
09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Well the verdict is in. It ran fast, and efficient. Jess did a good job, and the judges were friendly. If I had a complaint, it would be with someone being more obnoxious than myself, but not with the contest itself.

D-Chan
09-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Honestly I'm with you on that one DalaiLiam. I went for kicks like I always do and was already going oh no when people got blocked out of the Hyatt during the pre-judging time, and then the fact that the people who never made it to pre-judge was thrown into the contest so easily. Having been at a cosplay contest that spanned about 3+ hours in delays and mess ups, well this one put it to more shame then it already gave itself.

oberon2128
09-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I thought it went really well, and I am not really upset that there were no skits. It was my first Cosplay contest to enter (I was the Dai Li agent from Avatar) and I had a lot of fun. I will agree that there were a few individuals that were a little annoying, but I had so much fun it didn't matter. Plus it was great to see Vic later that day and get a second compliment from him, while he was talking to a crowd of fans. Anyways already have my costume planned for next year.

On a second thought I do wish the anime track was more extensive at DC.

Reatrea
09-08-2007, 10:55 PM
OMG that was so much fun! Everyone's costumes where great! It ran much more smoothly than last year. The pre-judging was diffidently worth it.

I have NO complaints what-so-ever. (except that I didn't take enough pics, and that's totally my fault!) I'm looking forward to next year.

london2191
09-09-2007, 01:27 AM
It was fun. =) The judges were EXTREMELY nice. One of the best experiences I've ever had. I second Dalailiam tho' (who was hilarious btw). I don't really know about what happened with people getting blocked out of the Hyatt *i had no trouble getting in* but it bothered me a bit that people got thrown into the contest without being pre-judged so easily. But otherwise! Amazing costumes and wonderful judges. I will most definitely do this again. :3

vampirate
09-09-2007, 10:02 AM
So, since I couldn't make it: Who has pictures? And who won what?

Reatrea
09-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Actually I have to agree with the fact that non-pre-judge people got in so easily.

DalaiLiam
09-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Who won?

Amanda and Sid won best group with their Castlevania cosplay
Christina and I took 2nd with our hellsing

First place single(or was it best of show?) was someone I didn't know who did a really amazing costume based off the mermaid from Petshop of Horrors.

I didn't really catch the seccond place either.

there were quite a few honorable mentions though.

TheDemon2300
09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
I couldn't make it because the CXS Fairy lunch was rescheduled for that day, however my friend Dan took 4th place with his Kiskue Urahara cosplay (complete with "clogs")

evenstar1
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
I got an honorable mention for my Dark Mousy cosplay and the girl that did Belldandy did as well. All the costumes were great! Definately one of the smoothest cosplay contests I've been involved in.

Crazy Flower
09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
The Castlevania group got best group, the Hellsing group got second.
The mermaid from Petshop of Horrors got best individual, and the Okami got second (she had the moving mouth in a mascot).

I believe, everyone with wings got an honorable mention, including myself (I was the moogle), The Belldandy, and the Dark Mousy. I think there may have been one or two more honorable mentions that I'm missing.

vampirate
09-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Oh, I saw that Okami in the hall contest pictures, it did look great! Though they had it down there for winning best anime... :confused:

Anyways, congratulations to everyone who placed!

Reatrea
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I believe, everyone with wings got an honorable mention, including myself (I was the moogle), The Belldandy, and the Dark Mousy. I think there may have been one or two more honorable mentions that I'm missing.

The other two was the Kairi with the perfect keyblade and me as Tsunade

^.^

london2191
09-09-2007, 08:18 PM
My friend, Kairi got it. I was actually told later on by the other man judge *not Vic* that they would've brought me up for Honorable Mention but they couldn't find my slip. And I was sitting in the second row. I know it's kind of ridiculous, but it still annoys me a tad.

Reatrea
09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
*huggle* aww I'm so sorry! You're always a top cosplayer in my book!