PDA

View Full Version : Hellsing!

Nismo
05-09-2003, 03:15 AM
Heya everyone! I'm posting this here because I all but gave up trying to get the perfect hat for Alucard in Hellsing. Does ANYONE know how or where to do/get this done? Also anyone can recommend where I can find his trenchcoat too. It's probably really simple for you experts out there but I'm still a rookie....>_<

Giant Alucard
05-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Hey Nismo, I had the same exact problem when I make my alucard costume.

The hat was the hardest part for this costume, and alot of really good alucard cosplayers had the exact same problem. One solution is to go on ebay and look under pimp hats or somthing and they should have fairly large hats, you could take one of those and cover it with red fabric or just spray paint the thing to the proper color ( just a word of advice, spray paint may not look well), or just try to make the hat by hand like me and my friend did. If not check on ebay under "Hellsing Cosplay" and I've noticed that they sometimes have parts of the costume on sale, but they sometimes are a little pricey (like the guns).

if your small enough you may be able to find a red trench coat (or black if your going as manga style alucard) for women at a pretty decent price. For guys it may be either a little harder or impossible. For bigger people (like me, I'm 6'9) you could always try to make the costume from a pattern. I know your just a rookie, but I'm not much better. Theres a Butterick 3526 (i think) pattern for a gangster costume that will be perfect for his undersuit, and if you make the coat longer; a perfect overcoat/trench coat.

I was able to do this pretty easily (and remember i'm still a rookie) and it was pretty cheap to make ($20 for the trench coat materials, and $10 for the under suit, the hat was made from the trench coats left over material). If you need any other help or just need to know more PM/IM me or something like that and I'll try to give you any help I can. Good luck.

BlackDelo
05-09-2003, 10:47 AM
You might want to try a costume store and ask if they have any pimp hats. I'm not joking. Because arucard seriously looks like a 19th Century pimp. Anyway....he has that style of hat. See if they got red.

Amethyst Angel
05-09-2003, 01:56 PM
I recently finished an Alucard costume for a friend of mine. To make the trenchcoat, I took him to a thrift store and we found a simple overcoat which I took apart and used as the pattern for the final coat, which I made out of heavy red fabric. I had to alter the final pattern slightly by adding darts to the sides of the coat to tighten the waist and then having it so the hem flared out at the bottom. I also had to add the "duster" cape thingys on the tops of the sleeves. These I made by cutting semi-circular pieces of fabric, hemming them and setting them into the sleeves. (You'll find the "duster" thingys will hang better if you sew a ruffle of netting at the very top of the sleeve underneath the fabric of the duster so that it poufs out a little.) It looks very 19th century. (Oh, don't forget, if you're a strickler for accuracy- there are 5 little red buttons on the outer edges of each of the sleeves. At least according to the Alucard figure I based my costume off of...)

The hat I made by taking a pimp hat I had bought at a costume store. I tore off all the cheesy velvet fabric which was on it, leaving the foam and wire undersupport which I covered with the same fabric that I had used for the red overcoat. To make the crown of the hat, I took a 1/8" thick sheet of "foamies" craft foam (available at most craft and fabric stores) and hotglued it into a cylinder about 7" tall (which was large enough to fit onto my head. ) I then hotglued a circle of foam to the top of the cylinder to act as the top of the crown and then covered the whole kit 'n' kaboodle with red fabric. I then handsewed it to the flat part of the hat and voila, the hat was pretty much finished. (Except for the pink strips which go around the brim of the hat. And the buttons, which I had to paint myself seeing as how I couldn't find any buttons which were of the color I needed.) Remember if you use this method, to make the crown of the hat slightly larger than your head to accomodate any wig you might be wearing (and just to give yourself a little insurance. You can always glue foam to the inside of the hat if it happens to be too big.)

Hope this helps!

Nismo
05-09-2003, 02:31 PM
*writes all this down* heh thanks Angel I hope I do have the sewing skills that you possess. >_<

Ashe
05-09-2003, 04:22 PM
I look all over, and I couldn't find anything like Alucards hat for sale. The pimp hat it probably your best bet.
If you've got the time to try making it yourself, Lise has a really helpful description of how she made her Alucard hat over at her cosplay site, Becoming:

http://slashmistress.net/cosplay/

Ashley

Nismo
05-10-2003, 02:38 AM
Ashley! *Glomps you* How you been? Thanks for the link yo! I found this pimp hat online but it has that crushed velvet layer on it. *sigh* gotta work on taking it all off....>_< Pimp hats can be leather too you know....*shakes fist at pimp hat sites*

BlackDelo
05-11-2003, 12:22 PM
SEE SEE!!! Pimp hats!! I told you!!!

Ashe
05-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Nismo
Pimp hats can be leather too you know....*shakes fist at pimp hat sites*

But then they'd be expensive. ^_~

Just replied to your PM, been kinda busy this weekend. >.<

Smileybaby
05-12-2003, 10:59 PM
i would suggest buying a hat that looks like his and covering it with fabric i am also planning on making an alucard costume and that is how i plan to work it out i was just looking at like target and stuff and they have some summer hats that could possibley(girls summer hats) work and they arnt too spendy either so i think that is how i am gonna do it and if it works for you than great and if not i hope you find a way that will! best of luck to you! ^___^

Nismo
05-13-2003, 01:59 AM
*sniff* Thanks you guys...you're soooo helpful!!! *hugz everyone*....*then glomps Ashley*