PDA

View Full Version : Will nothing get rid of the stubble?

Iori E
05-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Okay, this irritates me. It's irritated me for a LONG time. I've crossplayed once or twice before, and said to myself I would not do it again until I've completely hidden my beard and mustache stubble. I simply thought, "All I need is better makeup." And this past Sunday at the cosplay.com picnic I tried the Ben Nye Five O' Sharp series, which is specially designed to cover stubble. But, to my surprise and disappointment, IT'S STILL THERE...

I guess there are some reasons for this. First of all, my skin was really bumpy where my beard and mustache used to be. I guess maybe that had something to do with it. Second, the bumpy skin prevents me from getting a really close shave, because I don't want to bleed at several hundred spots. (I usually pluck all but the thinnest hairs before a con, but I don't know if that would've helped any.) And third... well, I don't have much experience with putting on makeup. Everyone I asked at the event said that I put it on well, but I was the judge of that when I saw the photos afterwards.

Suggestions? Ideas? Tips? If I don't get this fixed soon, I might have to ditch my crossplay plans for this year's AX and Ani-Magic. Help, please... T_T

L to the 3rd
05-09-2003, 10:58 PM
ummm...nair?

ducky_feet
05-09-2003, 11:01 PM
One word: WAX. Although, I'd imagine it's not really suited for facial hair, plus it's can be painful. :thumbsup:

Menchi
05-09-2003, 11:36 PM
if ya shave try a women's razor...venus or mach 3 i heard works very well. an some kinda nice shaving cream or somethi taht will help. for the make up i dont know there is tv/ts beard shadow cover up stuff that is designed for that stuff. the stuff is designed for serious tv/ts guys.merle-kun can tell ya more about the stuff than me but it does work wonders. i recall ya have to put a foundation over it according to your skintone though. but all things being ask merle-kun an he coudl tell ya alot. ^^

Iori E
05-09-2003, 11:42 PM
I don't want to risk the side effects that come with Nair. And about wax... doesn't plucking achieve the same thing?

And about the makeup... yeah. I thought Ben Nye Five O' Sharp was the perfect concealer. Or maybe I just used it wrong. When I put on the foundation over the concealer, I feel like I'm disturbing or wiping off the concealer. Could that be it?

I'm clueless. ^^;;;;;

Menchi
05-10-2003, 01:02 AM
i am not real sure myself, on the tv beard shadow cover myself never used it..yet (soon i will). nair is interesting stuff but ALWAYS test patch in a spot to see ifyour alleric to it. i never used nair on my face...jus legs. in a few weeks can tell ya more about hte tv make up though *shrugs*

IdatenMiki
05-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Iori E
I don't want to risk the side effects that come with Nair. And about wax... doesn't plucking achieve the same thing?

do you have any idea how long it would take you to pluck!? <>_<>'' i dont even want think about how long that would take lol

Nine
05-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Don't shave your face with the Venus razor.. it's REALLY painful.. especailly if your facial hair is really thick.. ~_~ Have you tried using an electric shaver with a new blade? ^^;

Iori E
05-10-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by IdatenMiki
do you have any idea how long it would take you to pluck!? <>_<>'' i dont even want think about how long that would take lol

If anybody knows how long it would take, it'd be me. I used to do it a lot in high school, and nowadays I do it the day before an anime con. But when I look at photos, there's still a bluish-gray area on my face. So apparently it's not enough.

And an electric razor can't give as close a shave as a blade. I wish I knew that before I bought one.

megumibish
05-10-2003, 01:56 AM
Okay I've got an idea.. Have you ever heard of Sally Hanson's Facial Creme Bleach(used for womens slight facial fuzz). It works wicked well and I would suggest using it prior to shaving. And even after shaving since you can't shave very close cuz of your bumps. It isn't at all harsh and relatively cheap considering you could probably get like 5 plus applications considering the area you need to cover. Another idea is Magic facial powder that's sold in the ethnic section. A male diplitory thing powder you mix to creme. .
Oh and try a really heavy application of makeup. I saying like the 3 in one stick foundation and or cake makeup layered up and then dusted with loose powder *translucent is best* and or pressed powder to set. Then another application of the 3 in 1 and powder again. I saw a drag queen special once and they really had to pack the makeup on. The 3 in one stick is good because it can cover a lot. Green concealer helps greatly in reducing redness too if you need it. Also since you are caking up a rather flat color I suggest blush. It will definitely help it look natural because your real skin has slight variations in color. Get a one a bit darker than you think you will need. Don't be intimidated by the redness of it because blush is put on extremely sparingly. You need to do dust on the blush in a circular motion on the apples of your cheeks(smile and you'll find them), forhead nearing the roots of your hair and a little on the temples and lastly underneath you lips in the area just above your chin. These are where the shadows were prior to the application of the flat makeup. Long and winded reply. I hope this helps all the male crossplayers. ^_^ Oh and you all must see Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Greatest dragqueen movie since Too Wong Fu and Rocky Horror. Be forewarned it's a musical with great rock music. That and gay themes, it's still a really good movie thou' also there is a great drag king too for the girls.
http://www.hedwigmovie.com the flash portion has some full versions of the songs from the movie online. Ciao

ZiggyB
05-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Wow, you must not have a good memory. :)

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10196

I talked about this and posted a link on how you should shave and what types of makeup you can use to hide beard stubble. In particular is the fact that you can find "beard cover" which eliminates the blue hue from facial hair.

DigitalShin
05-10-2003, 02:32 AM
I really need to learn some of this. I've had the same problem. I shave every morning. And by mid day I've got a beard *slight exaggeration*

Nair didn't do much for me. I used some on my legs before. Didn't effect it by much. But waxing sounds tempting to try. I have a tolerance for pain but I have no idea what waxing involves other then what I see on tv. How does one go about waxing?

Iori E
05-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by ZiggyB
Wow, you must not have a good memory. :)

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10196

I talked about this and posted a link on how you should shave and what types of makeup you can use to hide beard stubble. In particular is the fact that you can find "beard cover" which eliminates the blue hue from facial hair.

I didn't forget. I tried the shaving + beard cover thing, but for some reason it didn't work out for me.

megumibish, thanks for the advice on the facial bleach. My friend's been telling me to bleach my facial hair but I didn't know what she meant by that. I would have to test it on a small area first to make sure it's safe. There was supposed to be an area that has the same type of skin as that of the face. I can't remember though, where was it? I believe it was the underarm, but I'm not sure...
And about the makeup, how good would cake foundation plus concealer be? Or creme/matte foundation plus concealer? I've only tried creme and matte foundations before.
Thanks again.

ZiggyB
05-10-2003, 02:41 AM
One thing to consider about waxing is that the hair and skin on your face is much more sensitive then the hairs on say... your legs. It would hurt infinitely more, then waxing your legs, no matter how much pain tolerance you have.

Also the hair would grow back patchy. Assuming you want to ever have a beard again that might not be a good thing.

Shaving and using the appropriate makeup would be a very good temporary solution.

Of course I've only gone the shaving/makeup method and have not tried waxing. The waxing info above is just the information I was able to dig up while researching about covering beard stubble.

megumibish
05-10-2003, 03:10 AM
Hmm can comment much on the cake since I've yet to use it on my face. I have played with it before and it did seem to be a bit too thin thou' I recommend building up consistency in it by using less water. It should work but considering the nature of the makeup... building up layers may be a bit difficult being that redoing the application my disturb the previous layer. Creme lends some ease to building it up because all you need to do is apply a lot over the area and when you are done you just dust it into place. I think with a bit of practice thou' each could work as well.

mochihead
05-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Have you ever tried using an epilator - I've heard good things about Epilady from friends. (Sorry, can't give you first hand knowledge as I don't have that kind of facial hair. . . just eyebrows and eyelashes. ) Especially the new models that they have out now are not like those old painful models from the 70s & 80s. (gees, I'm old) And if you're already plucking out hairs one by one, you might at least be able to save some time. Also, they have ones designed specifically for face & sensitive areas.

Ok, enough gadget commercial. :P As far as makeup, a more orange-colored concealer may help to neutralize the blue-black color of the roots. Then follow with your skin-colored foundation.

yasafusa
05-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Well, I guess I will now consider myself fortunate; I am 22 and cannot grow a lick of facial hair! It comes from being part native american. Still a bummer though when I get carded at a rated R movie!

zor
05-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by DigitalShin
I really need to learn some of this. I've had the same problem. I shave every morning. And by mid day I've got a beard *slight exaggeration*

Nair didn't do much for me. I used some on my legs before. Didn't effect it by much. But waxing sounds tempting to try. I have a tolerance for pain but I have no idea what waxing involves other then what I see on tv. How does one go about waxing?

Shin!? I didn't know you were in here too? What's up man? And what crossplays have you done?

~ Z o r ~

Link Arroway
05-17-2003, 08:49 PM
I tried Nair for the first time, boring painful time consuming shaving leaves a quick stubble.. no rash yet hopefully there wont be.. it seems to worked, altho kinda itchy, but then I rubbed it like it said not too.. also trying bleaching cream for those dark arm hairs
:D

Emeralda
05-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Nair only works for hair over a certain length. Plus the chemicals might cause you to get a rash. I used it on my legs, and THEY broke out.

Its not going to be effective right away, but start using one of the minimizer creams on the market now. Like Jergens. They have a soy base, which causes the hair to grow slower, and it doesn't come in quite as thick. Plus its a moisturizer, so it wont dry out your skin. In fact, in the two or so years since I've been using the Jergen's one, I think I heard that someone has it for facial hair too.. umm.. I -think- Biore.. but don't hold me to that one.

OH! (add edit here) DO NOT USE AN EPILADY ON YOUR FACE! >.< Its a curved wire that vibrates and yanks.. and I do mean YANKS the hair from your skin. You think you have bumps and irritation now.. yuerk. Yes.. the fun things they don't show you on infomercials.

zor
05-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Emeralda
Nair only works for hair over a certain length. Plus the chemicals might cause you to get a rash. I used it on my legs, and THEY broke out.

So it's not just me?! I tried Nair once on my legs and they broke out and actually bled before I could get the stuff off! The dermatiologist I see said I have overly sensitive skin, and to use a disposable razor (he said guys in general should) b/c of the thicker hair it'd lessen the risk of infection and cutting myself *toss it after each use*, to use Skintimate shaving gel or lotion, and to use a double-blade razor (not tripple). It works pretty good.

~ Z o r ~

Link Arroway
05-17-2003, 09:23 PM
I saw those epilady things, too expensive and unpleasant sounding. unpleasant like when my electric razor dies on my face and i have to yank it off with some longer hairs stuck in it lol, slightly painful..

so far i have no irritation from nair and it worked okay. but i've got like 20 hours to wait like it says

zor
05-17-2003, 09:25 PM
OUCH! Been there... that sucks!

~ Z o r ~

Menchi
05-19-2003, 10:41 AM
zor: sorry to hear about the nair thing, that is the nasty side of nair >.o the razor thin is new to me, never heard it before. luckily am not allergic to nair butalso have very few reasons to remove leg hair...

JacksUsername
05-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Argh! I know how you feel...yeah, its annoying to shave in the morning and by mid afternoon, you can't already feel stubble on your face. I haven't really tried many solutions yet, but I'll see how the shaving + makeup thing goes.

Link Arroway
05-19-2003, 08:44 PM
nair doesn't help stubble so >_>. and theres lotsa it. might as well shave.. I had an irritated cut or somethin and went over it and it itched like crap, keeping me from applying it 'thickly and evenly' so it wasn't very melpful. some smooth areas. some areas of stubble, some skattered uneffected hairs.. some hairs just break off, leaving stubble.. is that what rubbing prevents? and then it just falls out later? or something? cauz whatever, its not being very good. and the smell and annoyingness of application is annoying!

for now.. I might as well go back razor, at least I could avoid razor burn and keep the stubble back, for who knows how long tho, but with a convention 3 days away, I dun have time for this mess >_>

Mizuno Tenshi
05-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Nair never worked for me...
I get my underarms waxed, and that stings, but it looks great the next day. I asked the waxing lady about waxing my facial hair... but she was horrified enough of the idea to scare me off.
For my legs, I use an epilator. The newer ones don't use a coil, but use sets of spinning disks. Hurts the first few times, but not anymore. I get ingrown hairs way too easily, though, and have to exfoliate like mad. Razors help to exfoliate too, so I'll shave when I want my legs REALLY smooth. I wouldn't put the thing near my face, though. Maybe one of the smaller ones...

Plucking as much as you can is the best idea. I hate having facial hair...
Best of luck!

Tenshi

Menchi
05-27-2003, 03:43 PM
i foudn out that shaving...then putting ALOT OF MAKE UP on then shaving again as the hair comes back then the make up again realy can help XD

avagoyle
05-27-2003, 04:33 PM
Some tips -

If you have money and want to completely get rid of facial hair, I recommend electrolysis or laser. Electrolysis is permanent too. It's a bit expensive, but if you do it right, you'll never have to shave again.

Facial waxing isn't that bad. It depends on who you go to and how well you react to that stuff. My boyfriend gets his brows waxed and plucked every so often and he says that plucking hurts worse than the waxing. But go to someone who knows what they are doing!

For covering up the blueish tint, use yellow based covers. You can find yellow toned concealers at any supermarket that carries makeup.

Here's a website that offers more tips.

http://www.tgcosmetics.com/tips/tips.htm

Setsuna22
05-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Just a thought, though.... If the skin on your face is sensitive, I would not suggest waxing. I had a friend do it once, and it apparently broke a few blood vessels under the skin, giving him spider veins, which I personally think is way grosser than facial hair.... I've had luck with the "5 o'clock cover by ben nye. You just have to get a clsoe shave, and then slab on two thick layers of it, of course, using powder so you don't get make up all over your outfit or whatever! ^_^