PDA

View Full Version : Tsukasa (.hack) - A-line or circle skirt?

Kuro Yue
08-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Finally dragged out the three year old twill for Tsukasa, and I've been staring at the reference pics. I managed to obtain design sketches (official ones) when I was researching the costume, and in those sketches, the 'skirt' portion has a great amount of volume (image attached). In the actual animation, the 'skirt' appears to be closer to an A-line, and doesn't have the bell-like volume.

Now, I'd much rather go with the design sketches, since Bee-Train isn't exactly the top of the pile for animation quality/consistency (IMO), since those usually have the most effort put into them.

The question is - can that volume be pulled off with a circle skirt pattern? Will it drape similarly? Or should I stick to adding volume to an A-line?

Aer Arcanum
08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I personally used an A-line pattern, but really I think in situations like these it's up to your own personal preference. You should pick whichever design you feel is closer to the character and which suits you more.

Bofa
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I also would use the A-line pattern for the skirt. Since the anime is what is watched rather then the sketches I'd go with the one that is used more often. But it is your choice in the end. Best of luck with Tsukasa <3

Kuro Yue
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
My personal preference is to go for the circle skirt idea, but I need to know if that'll even work - I'm not about to waste three year old fabric.

EDIT - Bofa - A-line would be easier to manage, as well. So there's a lot going for the A-line right now.

Berzerker_prime
08-10-2007, 10:48 AM
The answer is not to ask which one other people do. It's to ask yourself which one would look right on you. An A-line would look right on me, but it wouldn't necessarily look right on you. Your waist and hip size will affect how it hangs, despite the fact that the Tsukasa hoodie will cover up the waist.

If you have examples of either one or both on hand, you might put them on and take a look at them. See which one looks right.

Berz.

Kuro Yue
08-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I wasn't asking which one other people would do - I was asking if using a circle skirt would make the 'skirt' look accurate. :\ Whether or not it was worth making a circle skirt to get the same amount of volume as seen in the design sketches, or if it was a better idea to modify an A-line skirt pattern to get that kind of bell-like volume.

I don't really care about how it hangs on me right now - I'm in the process of losing weight and I'm just making it for something to do before I can work on the other costumes I want to do.

Rayonea
08-10-2007, 01:49 PM
The circle skirt would give you volume, but it wouldn't drape the right way. In fact it would probably have TOO much volume, if anything. ^^;; It also wouldn't have the parallel to the ground hemline. I would definitely just make a wide bottom A-line.

I hope that helps! ^_^

Kuro Yue
08-11-2007, 01:46 AM
I was worried about that. >< I was vaguely thinking of how it draped on EGL costumes, but then again, they're all ruffles.

Okeedokee, wide-bottomed A-line it is.

LadyHawke78
08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd defintiely go with a A-line pattern (with about 6 panels...) for Tsukasa's "skirt". Depending on the weight of the fabric you are using, the circle skirt might drape a bit weird and not look accurate to the character design.

I believe my one friend used an a-line pattern to make her tsukasa costume...

Kuro Yue
08-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Six panels? How do you mean?