PDA

View Full Version : :Hitachiin Twins Wig Tutorial: by mistriss

mistriss
08-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Alright, for AnimeFEST in September, my friend and I decided to be the Hitachiin Twins from Ouran High School Host Club. I was given the duty of styling the wigs since I have a lot of experience with styling hair.

When I first thought about styling a wig, I though "Uh-oh, I've never styled a wig before, I'm going to screw up."

How many of you out there have felt the same way?

Well, in this tutorial, I'm going to hopefully break down the steps and explain bit by bit how to style the Hitachiin Twins hair into a wig. This tutorial is to help those of us out there who don't know the first thing about styling a wig.

First off, for the Hitachiin Twins, I recommend buying the "Twiggy" wig from amphigory.com, buying it in "30 highlighted with 3514." Got that? Good, let's move on.

Tools of the trade:
Items needed: Wig (of course -_-), foam head (runs about $3-4), comb, bobby pins, razor (You don't have to use a fancy razor for this, so I used an eyebrow razor from walmart; they come in packs of three for $2), and HAIRSPRAY! I cannot express enough how important and big a role hairspray plays in sculpting the Hitachiin Twins hair! (For a really strong hold, what I used was Treseme Extra Hold.)

Alright, now that you have your tools, it's time to get to work.

Step 1:
First, what you want to do is put the back of the wig up in layers. This can be achieved by grabbing the sections already layered and separating them, pinning them with bobby pins like so:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/orchiddragon/step1.jpg

Step 2:
Once you have the back of the wig pinned up in sections, now it's time to grab your razor and start slashing away. Make sure that you use a RAZOR and not SCISSORS. If you use sissors, and unless you're a professional hairstylist that knows what you're doing, you will get a flat, staight cut opposed to cutting with a razor, which gives a choppy look to hair (perfect for anime hairstyles).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/orchiddragon/step2.jpg

Step 3:
Once you cut away at a section with the razor, you'll notice the wig fibers start to bunch up and it basically feels like a big tangle of hair. Not to worry, this is what the comb is for. When you use the comb, make sure that you comb the fibers with the SMALLEST teeth, and always start combing from the END of the strands and make your way up GENTLY, or else you'll rip out hair, and that won't look good, now would it? *cough*baldHitachiinbrothers*cough*

Step 4:
Now it's time to do my most favorite part of styling. Hairspraying! You will be using a LOT of hairspray and your hands in the end will get covered, if not drenched in the stuff, so if you're afraid of getting your hands dirty, this might not be the wig for you to do. Moving on, grab the top most layer that you had pinned and unpin it. Hold the strands of hair almost to where you're bending it, with the middle section bouncing upwards. Hold it still and spray with the nozzle facing UPWARDS, spraying the roots of the hair (same as you would with your real hair).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/orchiddragon/step6.jpg
Repeat the process until you have all of the sections you cut spiking outwards. The most important part of nailing the Hitachiin Twins' look is getting the back part to spike outwards. Once you have that covered, grab the excess hair that you didn't use on the side and spray it going the same direction until you have a neat looking style and you have achieved this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/orchiddragon/step9.jpg

End Results:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/orchiddragon/step10.jpg
I placed the reference picture I used on the table along with the other materials which I used.

This was a quick and easy tutorial I did because I felt like helping other cosplayers out there. Now I know that the Hitachiin Twins' hairstyle is one of the easiest out there, but this tutorial is for those of you who need some help or reference. If you have any questions or concerns on what I did, please don't hesitate to post them here or PM them to me.

mistriss
08-19-2007, 05:15 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v686/orchiddragon/?action=view&current=afterandbefore2.jpg

After and Before picture.

Sorry for the big use of pictures. I will go back later and resize them.

totemo_oishii
08-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow! Thank you very much - It's a really helpful tutorial. :3 They look wonderful~!

mistriss
08-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks!
Heh, no problem. It was really fun and I love doing hair. This was actually my first time styling a wig. I guess it helped since I do crazy things with my own hair. ^_^;

Zerofox Kitsune
08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I was planning on doing a cosplay of the Hitachiin twins with my twin, so you just saved my sorry hide. A big thanks goes to you!

Envel
08-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Thank you for this thread! Now we can link to it every time there's a "How do I layer a short wig?" thread. ^_~

FaithInDeidara
10-06-2007, 01:16 PM
i have a question-
since the twins have differnt hair parts, and this wig only has a skin top where its factory parted, how did you change? or did you leave them the way they were?

Doctor Blind
10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Great tutorial! The wigs look nice. ^^;

However, I wanted to mention - you don't have to use a razor, and you don't have to be a professional hair stylist to use scissors. I used scissors to layer a wig that I was going to be spiking and it worked fine. Just make sure that you cut at an angle, zigzagging, and don't cut too much hair at a time.

panda0920
10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Thank you so much! This tutorial is so handy and easy to use! Thank you so much! I'll will experiment one day with this tutorial.

Swan-Song-xx
06-08-2008, 04:42 AM
Hey,

Thanks this will help on my quest for a good wig ^^"
One question.
Where did you get your wig?
Or do you know any places I could find a good one?
I'm a helpless hairdresser so.. heh. ^^"

Doctor Blind
06-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey,

Thanks this will help on my quest for a good wig ^^"
One question.
Where did you get your wig?
Or do you know any places I could find a good one?
I'm a helpless hairdresser so.. heh. ^^"

Did you read it..?

"First off, for the Hitachiin Twins, I recommend buying the "Twiggy" wig from amphigory.com, buying it in "30 highlighted with 3514." Got that? Good, let's move on."

MemorizeThis
06-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Great tutorial on the Hitachiin Twins! Looks perfect! :D

aliceinbox
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
wow ... that's really good thanks for sharing :D

DEATHnote~
06-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the tutorial!

It was really helpful!

Shaye-baye
07-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Sorry to repeat FaithInDeidara, but I'm curious, too -- how did you part the wig so that you'd have the traditional twin-identifying difference? In the picture, it looks like you did manage to part one differently somehow... Cool stuff!!

Other than that, this is a completely perfect and super-helpful tutorial!! I was having horrible luck finding wigs that would work for my friend and I, but you've helped out soooo much! Thank you~!!

virus=[1.6k]
07-20-2008, 08:56 PM
arnt you going to the like the top spikes and the shaped bangs ?

amaturatsu33
12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
What kind of hair spray did you use for the spiking?

hikachan39
01-17-2009, 03:58 PM
dear lord thanks soooo much for the tutorial. i remember the last time i tried to cut my own wig *shudders* it wasnt pretty

soooo.......... how in the hell did u part the wigs???? i tried emailing amphigory to see if they could part one of the wigs the other way for me, but all i get is this big huge paragraph of asian characters, and ive put it through the translator for japanese, traditional chinese, and simplified chinese, and its all gibberish! can u help me???? *huge puppy dog eyes* ur not gonna let the twins down, r u?

DetentionMisfit
04-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Did you read it..?

"First off, for the Hitachiin Twins, I recommend buying the "Twiggy" wig from amphigory.com, buying it in "30 highlighted with 3514." Got that? Good, let's move on."

I find it hilarious that this was pointed out by someone named "Doctor Blind." *shot dead*

ANYWAY~ This is a GREAT tutorial! I'll definitely be using this for my Hikaru cosplay for A-Kon. ;D

QuintenCain
04-14-2010, 11:44 PM
i have a question-
since the twins have differnt hair parts, and this wig only has a skin top where its factory parted, how did you change? or did you leave them the way they were?

My question exactly! I'm doing the twins as well, and I have no idea how you got the factory part to go the other way. PLEEEEAAAASSSEEE how did you do that????? XP

Awesome tutorial otherwise, btw. ^^

kawaiiXnoXjutsu
05-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I would like to know how you parted the wig too please! ^^

Amphigory says there is a skin part only where the wig is parted, so I don't see how it could be re-parted in the first place. . .

Then, again, I've only ever had one wig before. . .

girlinthestars
11-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Tools of the trade:
Items needed: Wig (of course -_-), foam head (runs about $3-4), comb, bobby pins, razor (You don't have to use a fancy razor for this, so I used an eyebrow razor from walmart; they come in packs of three for $2), and HAIRSPRAY! I cannot express enough how important and big a role hairspray plays in sculpting the Hitachiin Twins hair! (For a really strong hold, what I used was Treseme Extra Hold.)

Yeah..I feel stupid for askin this, but do you think that you could style it with the TReseme Extra Hold gel or Got2B. I don't know much about styling products because I haven't styled a wig before. Thanks ^.^