PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else read this manga?

number18
05-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Well I kinda want to make this thread a universal "if someone read this manga, tell me if it is good" type thread. So yeah...

Anyone read Demon Diary yet? I wanted to get it cause it involved demons, but flipping thru the pages it seemed a tad too comedic for my dark, demonic tastes...heh.

And is Happy Mania just a decent manga? Or does anyone think it's reaaaaaally good like Peach Girl or Paradise Kiss (which I think, after reading only the first book, is just fantastic). Same with INVU...is it realllly good? Or just good.

wa-da-tah...

ryuichi fangirl
05-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Demon Diary....OOOooo...I JUST got the first one...wow..I like it ...it's sooo cute...I've already got LadyXara willing to do a cosplay w/ me...hehehe..(Reanef)...and I gets to be Eclipse..mwahahaha...but I haven't read the other one yet....hmmm

Setsuna22
05-16-2003, 09:40 PM
OMG! It is sooo good. Personally, I think it is amazingly cute, with its dark twists of course! I really enjoyed reading the first one, and I Definitely plan on getting the rest. ^_^ I say Go for it!

evaneko
05-17-2003, 07:54 PM
I was laughing the whole time- although i dont think some of the times i was supposed to be laughing- but any way the art is pretty-ish but nothing really special the characters are likable. its very enjoyable and i think its shounen-ai pending. ^^ which would make me happy. i would reccoment it- it was throughly entertaining.

Alexeil
05-17-2003, 11:04 PM
I adore Demon Diary as well! It's definetly on the cutesy, comedic side more than the goth, dark side. But it looks like it may get more serious later on. It's a lot of fun tho, and I'd definetly reccomend it.

I personally hated Happy Mania. Mainly because I can't stand the main character. She's a complete ditz, slut, no morals, ect. She just seems to have no redeeming qualities. I guess some people might find it funny, but I personally can't stand it.

I think INVU is a decent one. It's not nearly as great as Peach Girl, Mars, or Paradise Kiss in my opinion. But it's an pretty good read.

evaneko
05-18-2003, 11:51 AM
i like invu almost as much as parakiss and peach girl- i thought it was MUCH better than mars- nicer art less-mushy melodramatic as far as the story goes and the characters were more interesting in volume one than the mars characters were in 9 volumes. ^^ just my opinion.

i havnt read happy mania- but i thought the cover was really ugly. :P

does anyone know when tokyopop is realeasing gravitiation?? ^^

Velvy
05-18-2003, 02:44 PM
I hate Happy Mania for the same reasons Alexeil does. I just can't take another volume of the main character's stupidity.

I.N.V.U. on the other hand is really really great! The storyline's pretty interesting (especially Hali's story--boy at home, girl everywhere else). There's fuckloads of bishouneness. Bonus points for it's cute mention of cosplay :D. It's Korean so somewhat different panel-wise, and a little bit of culture thrown in there. And as I said in my topic--the artwork combines a bit of Paradise Kiss, some Happy Mania, and some Peach Girl. It's really worth getting in my opinion.

Additionally as far as ranking goes, for me--it does very well against Mars. Same plane as Peach Girl. But doesn't outdo Paradise Kiss.

jen_kat
05-18-2003, 07:18 PM
Rar... where can I find this I.N.V.U.? All my local bookstores don't have it in stock. T_T

Also, my friend has this Korean manga, and I don't know who the artist is. The title is called "Let __?__". I don't know what the second "word" is because it is in Korea. If you were to look at it in the English perspective, the Korean would look like it said "go". The cover of the first volume has two guys on the front, somewhat upclose. One has brownish-black hair, and the other one has white hair. The storyline of the first volume borders on yaoi.

Alexeil
05-18-2003, 07:41 PM
I personally like Mars better than Peach Girl, INVU, and Paradise Kiss. I dunno...I love the art in all of them so that's not why. I guess I just really relate to Kira, being the shy artistic type. And I like how both her and Rei have tragic pasts, not just Rei. I love the story all around. I guess I just like the dark drama more than the usual light comedy in most romance shoujo manga.

ryuichi fangirl
05-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Mars...yes..I LOVE that manga...it's got such a great story and the art is pretty...not the best ever or anything...but still pretty ^^..and Kira is one of the few female characters I like..she seems..human...not just 'every boys' fantasy girl' ...plus..I mean...how happy would I ne to get some guy like Rei..*drools*..lol

number18
05-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Hmm...Borders was having a sale last saturday where if you buy two books you get the 2nd one half off. What sucked was that Paradise Kiss 2 and Peach Girl #2 (really #10) weren't in stock! >.<! So I ended up getting The Big O volume 2 and the new book by Erika Sakurazawa: Between the Sheets...

and boy did it suck.

It was like...it's about these two best friends (like career-woman OL age or something) and one of them is really supposed to be wild and free-spirited, while her other friend is seemingly more timid and whatnot. Saki is the wild one and I forget the other girl's name but like.....basically what happens is the other girl falls in love with Saki and can't stand how she is just constantly trying to hook up with guys when they'll only "break her heart". ...I don't even know how to explain it without giving away spoilers or something.

I think Between the Sheets is like...too Japanese, if you can believe me. Like Saki is supposed to obviously be this big independent woman, but all she's doing is sleeping around and that's it. And Saki's friend falling in love with her for that reason is borderline pyscho obsessive. It was just TOTALLY weird and I thought it was the crappiest manga I ever spent my money on. :/

Anyone else read it yet? It's got such chic cover art, but don't be fooled! Flip through and read it first before you buy it!

Alexeil
05-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the warning about Between the Sheets. It's sounds pretty bad to me, too. Sucks wasting money on really bad manga. I'd love to be able to get rid of my copy of Happy Mania. It was shrink wrapped in the store so I couldn't even look thru it to see what I was getting. I keep wanting to try more "adult" shoujo romance titles. I don't mean graphic, I mean where all the characters aren't in high school. But so far they don't seem as good. It seems like all the "strong" older girl leads end up being idiotic sluts. Oh well, I'm sure there's some good ones out there somewhere.

number18
05-20-2003, 12:33 PM
yeah.....older woman shoujo seems to really revolve about the whole sleeping with tons of icky guys with long hair. And then there are the random sex scenes in the books that aren't that passionate, to me anyway...like in one scene of Between the Sheets, Saki's friend had called her up after a long time of not seeing her (because Saki was like, I knwo you're falling in love with me so we shouldn't hang out as much. pffft)...and during the phone call, Saki was getting her cheating ex-boyfriend to go down on her. =rolls eyes=

What exactly is INVU about? Is it the same women in Japan being independent and sleeping around thing? Christ...if Tokyopop is going to be releasing shoujo like that then maybe they should release Imagine/Imagine 29. Even in Japanese, it's more amusing and entertaining than Between the Sheets. There's the quirky friend and the older one...it's just amusing. Way more interesting than Between the Sheets.

Alexeil
05-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I totally agree with you about the older girls manga. Hopefully Tokyopop will find some good ones to bring over soon. I guess maybe they believe in the whole "sex sells" thing. And there's nothing wrong with sex in manga, if it'd only be done with some feeling. Like in Paradise Kiss and Mars.

But INVU is another high school girls manga. Someone else may be able to give a better description than me, because I honestly find it rather confusing. Just too many characters introduced too fast, I think. But the main girl is forced to live with her mom's friend's family because her mom goes away to do research for her novel. That family includeds a girl that dresses as a boy sometimes, for reasons I won't spoil. The story revolves around them and their friends and crushes and high school life and trying to reach their goals for the future. It's a pretty good book, but somehow I just wasn't as turned onto it as a lot of Tokyopop's other high school shoujo romance series.

number18
05-20-2003, 10:05 PM
hmm interesting. I'm hoping I can bring back my Erika book to trade it with something else. But it was wrapped in plastic...however, there were other copies NOT wrapped in plastic and we'll just see how it goes next time I have a chance to go up there. Hopefully they'll have Parakiss 2 this time. ^^

GirlnamedLime
05-30-2003, 09:32 PM
I've liked Mars from the first volume I bought, Peach Girl is great, I think it's pretty well balanced with loveable and greatly hateable characters. I would like to buy WISH, is that good? I was going to buy I.N.V.U. but now I'm not so sure... hmm... I'm trying to buy manga that just come up out of no where, or ones that catch my eye. I'm thinking of getting Fake, it seems so funny.

evaneko
05-31-2003, 04:19 PM
has anyone read fake?? i was wondering if it was worth getting... isnt it shounen-ai?? if it is im buying it ^^

Alexeil
05-31-2003, 06:14 PM
I bought the first vol of Wish and didn't care too much for it. It's cute and the art's pretty, but seems kinda boring and predictable.

Fake is indeed shounen ai. I haven't gotten to buy the manga yet. I remember the anime version was cute and funny, tho.