PDA

View Full Version : First Timer Suggestions

positivespace
05-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Well, my friends and I have decided to try and perform at Der Cosplay at Fanime this year. First time cosplaying, first time masquerading...guess that works, right? (Of course this all depends on if we get our registration in on time and there's still room for us.)

We already have an idea for a non-anime/game related skit (we'll be dressed as the FFX-2 girls: Yuna, Paine, Rikku and Lenne)... mostly based around some choice music snipetts.

Anyway, since many of you are veteran masqueraders... I was wondering if any of you could share any tips with me and my friends? Any help would be appreciated... what to avoid, things to look out for, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Psychotic Jei
05-14-2003, 05:05 AM
#1...I learned this from last years Der Cosplay. Bring FOOD and WATER. Mostly Food. We were stuck in there for like 6 hours....and my group had two people 'bout to pass out. x_x
#2...Practice before the con. My group never does that....and we seem to end up rushing around like crazy people trying to get stuff fixed.
#3...Have the odds and ends done well in advance. Choreography...spacing...lines....a CD...whatever it is in need. give a copy of it to each person. So they have it..
#4...Have fun. =D If it feels like its a chore....then maybe you shouldn't do it. Y'know?

positivespace
05-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Six hours?! That's crazy... what did you guys do the whole time other than get hungrier and thirstier?

Psychotic Jei
05-15-2003, 01:24 AM
We drew on the back of our posterboard sign. And erm..rehearsed in the freezing wind. And then we sat around until they herded everyone on stage.

antibishie
05-26-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm certainly not a veteran or anything (As I've only been in last year's Der Cosplay....), but I really can't help but stress the need to practice....

I'd never even met the other people in my group last year, so we didn't even really have a chance to run through our skit until that Saturday... so it wasn't that we hadn't thought up plenty of fun antics... but most of us just kinda forgot them once we were on stage....

And, yeah, the wait was kinda boring... but at least they have the TV hooked up so that you can watch everyone else while you sit in the waiting room. *shrugs*

And the food and water should be a given... expessially if you have a heavy costume. *nods*

linzie chan
05-27-2003, 10:46 AM
I have always wanted to do a masquerade skit, but the only con I go to is AWA becauseits so close. Skits aren't allowed, and if they were it would never work. AWA turns into one jiant party by Sat night. It's not a con, it's one jiant cosplay party:D

Dali-Lamb
06-09-2003, 05:25 PM
i've gone to ACEN for 3 years and each year i've been in a masquerade, and two of those years my group got an award ^-^

okies, i think the only thing i can suggest is when thinking of a skit idea use something funny that ppl can relate to. not everyone has seen the same anime as you have and may not get the joke. so for example instead of having your theme around the peculiarity or comedic antics of the characters your portraying, have it around Jerry Springer, or something like that. or a popular movie like Lord of the Rings, just something your audience can relate to.
Another big thing is practice!!! each year, we always get our ppl together several weeks before the con and practice our lines and stuff. Another thing to go along with practicing would be to definately pre-record your lines on a CD and have it played there, because something as small as the audience not being able to hear you can really damage your skit.
Last, just have fun! if you're really nervous going on stage it can really hurt ya! i have horrible stage fright, but each year, i don't really think about the ppl out there, or that it's a competition, i just think about having fun.
If you have an effective joke for your skit, well rehearsed, and just have fun, you'll definately get an award, and if not oh well, it's just a masquerade, there will be other years!

~Dali-Lamb

katrinastrife
06-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Can you sing and dance? If so, Real Emotion, all the way!

If not, try something comedic. As for info on the games: the three girls like to call themselves "Yu*Ri*Pa", which I find really cute! Umm... They're sphere hunters, and Rikku's Japanese is a little funny, because she's a teenager, and she's still learning Japanese(because she's all Al Bhed and stuff). So, you could have Rikku messing up common proverbs?

^_^;; I'm not really sure, but if I come up with something, I'll let you know...

Michi
06-10-2003, 09:49 AM
Y'know, back in the day before there were huge cosplay communities like this, I went to my first con and did a skit without knowing what to expect. XD You people have it EASY!!!

Anyway.

I was in the masquerade last year as a favor to a friend. You have to be there for rehearsal on stage (I think only if you need lighting/music.. I remember when I did a skit in '00 with no music or special lights, we didn't have to rehearse on stage o.o.. we just left ^^; but the rules may have changed since then). Then sometime before the masquerade you have to wait backstage... bleh. It takes a lot of your later day Saturday, but it's not horribly bad. Usually you can have lots of fun with it with all the cosplayers backstage. ^_^;

Koumori
06-10-2003, 09:56 AM
From an audience perspective, I would suggest keeping it short if possible. The major thing I dislike about watching cosplay skits is that they never seem to know when they're over. So if you're going to do a song or a dance, don't do two verses; if you're showing off your martial arts skills, don't do eight kata; if you're doing a game show, don't do three rounds; etc. Once you've shown your costumes and the judges get the idea, that's usually plenty long enough.

positivespace
06-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions... we have our skit finalized and we're going to work with a DJ friend of ours to get the music/dialogue on CD.

Hopefully it'll all turn out okay. If any of you are going to Fanime we'll be known as the group called "Extra Sauce." ;D

Oh, and no real singing by any of us... only one of the girls in my group can actually sing and I'd rather not see the looks on the audience's faces if I try to wail a few notes. LOL