PDA

View Full Version : Anime LA vs. Anime Expo

SycoTik
08-31-2007, 08:25 PM
What is the difference of the two besides location? I went to AX 2007 and liked it despite some disorganization of the program and all that walking. Was my first con as well. ^^
I just wanna know what would I be expecting going to Anime LA, if I even get to go of course.

scaloy
09-01-2007, 01:50 AM
one major difference between AX and ALA is the size. ALA07 had 1785 attendees, AX07 had +44000 attendees. ALA07 was at the Airtel Plaza Hotel, AX07 was at the LBCC, Hyatt, Renaissance, and Westin. AX is a much bigger convention than ALA, you can certainly see and feel that. but there is definitely nothing wrong with that. i've been going to AX for 12yrs and there is nothing like it. this will be my 4th ALA, there is also nothing like it. i want to continue attending and supporting ALA. i feel closer to the community of attendees at ALA than i do at AX. I think there is a bond knowing that most of the attendees at ALA are mostly from SoCal. so there are chances to meet those people outside of ALA, like at other cons or cosplay events. at AX, some of the people you'll meet are either outside of SoCal, out of state, or from another country, and the only was to stay in contact is through email.
well, i'm rambling now, so i'll end it there (instead of with a stupid comment)

SycoTik
09-01-2007, 03:15 AM
one major difference between AX and ALA is the size. ALA07 had 1785 attendees, AX07 had +44000 attendees. ALA07 was at the Airtel Plaza Hotel, AX07 was at the LBCC, Hyatt, Renaissance, and Westin. AX is a much bigger convention than ALA, you can certainly see and feel that. but there is definitely nothing wrong with that. i've been going to AX for 12yrs and there is nothing like it. this will be my 4th ALA, there is also nothing like it. i want to continue attending and supporting ALA. i feel closer to the community of attendees at ALA than i do at AX. I think there is a bond knowing that most of the attendees at ALA are mostly from SoCal. so there are chances to meet those people outside of ALA, like at other cons or cosplay events. at AX, some of the people you'll meet are either outside of SoCal, out of state, or from another country, and the only was to stay in contact is through email.
well, i'm rambling now, so i'll end it there (instead of with a stupid comment)

Hmmmm, that is a significant amount right there. WHOA! Still, I did like the interaction I had at AX, I'm sure the same can happen in ALA, just less people. That's what I love about these cons though and cosplayers, the majority of them always seem friendly and ready to take a photo. I only wish to cosplay as well but have neither the time nor money to make some cosplay costumes of my own. Hoping maybe my friends I went with at AX07 will be going to this as well and perhaps make me a cosplay outfit. hmmmm.
Thanks for the info though, was very much helpful to me. ^_^

Super No 1
09-01-2007, 10:26 AM
One of the big differences is the role of the convention staff. The convention chair reads forums, including this one. Sure, there have been a few problems in the past, and because higher-level staffers read and participate in forums, fans' concerns are heard and addressed by people who can actually take care of the problems. I've been to every ALA and it's quite nice to have a con like this where the higher-level staff is receptive to what the attendees want and need.

In general, smaller cons like this have to work harder to gain your business. Some do a good job of it; some do not. This con does a good job.

DivineSage
09-05-2007, 12:47 AM
The main difference is the atmosphere. ALA is nothing like AX, and I don't mean that in a good or bad way. You just can't really compare the two. AX is a huge convention with a million things going on at once, ALA is smaller and more laid back. But really, it's like trying to compare Los Angeles to... well, Burbank (no offense meant to anyone, I'm only comparing size).

SycoTik
09-05-2007, 04:41 AM
The main difference is the atmosphere. ALA is nothing like AX, and I don't mean that in a good or bad way. You just can't really compare the two. AX is a huge convention with a million things going on at once, ALA is smaller and more laid back. But really, it's like trying to compare Los Angeles to... well, Burbank (no offense meant to anyone, I'm only comparing size).

So basically it seems to be only the size that's the difference really, right? Will I be able to get to know people better there?

DivineSage
09-05-2007, 06:12 AM
So basically it seems to be only the size that's the difference really, right? Will I be able to get to know people better there?

Well, size isn't the only difference, it's just the major difference. ALA has a much more laid-back, friendly feel to it. I think you'll definitely have a better chance of getting to know people at ALA, since it's much more close-knit and relaxed.

Mr. Postman
09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
...and don't forget the Con Suite, Free food and drinks!

Chaz is the Chair for ALA and he's good people. Listening to the attendees' feedback and always looking for ways to improve the event.

This year was my first, and I really enjoyed myself (enough so, where I went ahead and signed up for `08 at the con). I think you'll have a good time out at ALA.

TC

DivineSage
09-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Ah, of course! Thanks for reminding me, Mr. Postman!

Another cool feature of ALA is that they take a lot of the best aspects of Sci-fi cons and apply them to anime cons. I believe ALA is the only California anime convention with a con suite, where you can drop by and grab a snack and drink, or just relax for a while. And this year it's in the form of a maid cafe.

Also, ALA likes to make a point of listening to attendees to see what can be changed to improve the convention. This year Chaz has implemented a Fairy Godfather staff to wander around and be available to listen to whatever comments you might have. I'm on the staff, as well as Jubei-chan (the head), Videl-chan, Gainax Boy, and Squirrellyness.

SycoTik
09-06-2007, 04:54 AM
This is sounding better and better every post I see. Thanks :D

godhi
09-12-2007, 01:55 AM
...and don't forget the Con Suite, Free food and drinks!
:bigtu:
There had better be food and drink available for the fans--as a veteran of LosCon and other conventions held at the Burbank Convention Center, I know for a fact that with the sole exception of the hotel restaurant, there are absolutely NO restaurants within walking distance of the convention center.
By the way, in addition to the airport and the freeways, there is a MetroLink station about half a mile from the hotel if anyone in the Los Angeles area is interested in inexpensive rail travel.

RivetSPOOn
09-12-2007, 03:33 AM
ALA is one of the conventions that you just need to try once and see for yourself.

I went, thinking that I'd be bored out of my mind after an hour, so I volunteered all weekend. Best choice I could have made. ^^

I'm an AX whore and have been for ten years, and I agree that there's no comparison between the two. I love both equally, though. ^^

Hazel Chaz
09-12-2007, 03:36 AM
:bigtu:
There had better be food and drink available for the fans--as a veteran of LosCon and other conventions held at the Burbank Convention Center, I know for a fact that with the sole exception of the hotel restaurant, there are absolutely NO restaurants within walking distance of the convention center.
By the way, in addition to the airport and the freeways, there is a MetroLink station about half a mile from the hotel if anyone in the Los Angeles area is interested in inexpensive rail travel.
Ah, but that's changing. They're building a McDonalds, a Panda Express, a Starbucks and a Denny's right across the street from the hotel, on the outskirts of the airport property there on Hollywood Way. We expect them to be open for business in time for our convention.

And of course, Burbank Empire Center is about a half mile to the east, with Sharky's Pizza, Subway, Hometown Buffet, and a plethora of other places to eat. (And there's a Michaels in that shopping center too.) But that's not really walking distance.

Carolyn is correct, Anime Los Angeles is still the only anime convention in California or Nevada with a con suite.

A few other bullet points to add to what everyone else has said: We have a Costume Repair Station. We have a Masquerade that's run along ICG guidelines. And this year, we'll have lots of comfy seating in the convention center building, most of it next to the artists' alley. (Remember everyone sitting on the floor at the Long Beach Convention Center, especially near the concessions? Imagine how much more comfortable it would have been if there were, say, lots of chairs out there instead.) If you don't get a seat for the Masquerade, instead of standing along the wall you can head back out to Artists' Alley or to the Con Suite and watch the Masquerade on one of the repeater monitors/speakers we'll have set up for you.

There's room to get through Artists' Alley, even when there's someone standing in front of every single artist. When you go into the Dealer's Room, you can come back out through the same door if you want to.

We have an indoor photo gathering room, with lights and backdrops. (Kokuu is in charge of that room, btw.)

We also have lower hotel room rates. $109/night +tax for single/double/triple/quad, or $149+tax for a two-room Junior Suite. (And the parlor's sofa bed folds out to a king-size, so in a "double bed" suite you can actually sleep 6 comfortably.) We work with the hotel to block all of the noisy people on the same floor -- so if you want to have a party in your room, or if you tend to be noisy, let us know ahead of time and we'll make sure you're not next door to a mundane who's got a flight to catch in the morning.

We also have among the fastest registration lines in anime fandom. We consider that if there's a line at all, say more than three people waiting, that we're doing something wrong, and we work to fix it.

We encourage everyone to be a part of the community. "We" are "us" -- there's no "them", we're all "us." For example, several regulars here on cosplay.com are working on the convention. We encourage other conventions to bring their promotional material -- we don't have a "you can't hand out flyers if you're not a dealer" policy. We specifically set aside space for other conventions to come and promote their conventions. (Mikomicon is planning to attend, for example, and I expect Loscon will as well. Haven't heard from too many others just yet, but it's early days.)

We also don't have a "no signs" policy. (We find it sufficient to remind people that things that are illegal outside the building are generally illegal inside it, too.)

We're having a number of fan artists paint wooden benches, and those will be scattered around the building for people to sit on. Most of them will be near Artists' Alley.

What else... We have the "Rum party" indoors, and we don't shut it down.

We keep an eye out for mundane drunks wandering in from the bar.

Members under the age of 15 can bring a grown-up for free.

Speaking of Loscon, we have a number of key Loscon people running things at our convention, such as tech and treasurer.

There's also a difference that's only tangentially related to size, by the way: we deliberately choose a very small number of people to invite as Guests of Honor. We want to honor them properly, and it's hard to do that if there are a dozen GoHs all vying for attention. This year, we have one Voice Actor GoH (Vic Mignogna -- Edward Elric from FMA and many other voices); one Artist GoH (Bryan Wong, you should check out his webmanga Seasons of Constancy); and one Toastmaster (Tadao Tomomatsu, aka "Mr. Shake-Hands Man" on Banzai TV, and the NYPD Japanese translator on episode 2 of Heroes). There is a slim chance we might add one additional GoH before the convention. Or we might just stick with these three.

(We expect to have many local VAs and other program participants who live in or near L.A. on our live program; I'm just referring to the Guests of Honor that we fly out, put up in the hotel, and generally highlight during the weekend.)

Oh, and our convention is in the winter. So you can wear your costumes with all the layers.

SycoTik
09-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Again, this is sounding better and better already. I definately need to preregister :D

linkluver6
10-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Again, this is sounding better and better already. I definately need to preregister :D

yah come!

its small and personal
the gatherings are fun!

and u see alot of the same people

make some new friends!

I am already liking your gits pic!

SycoTik
10-06-2007, 06:34 AM
yah come!

its small and personal
the gatherings are fun!

and u see alot of the same people

make some new friends!

I am already liking your gits pic!

I shall do my best since I still needs moneys for preregistration, plus a cosplay outfit, plus I need to know if my friends from AX07 are going since I will know virtually no one and have a hard time keeping new friends. As fun as AX was, it was tough to get to know people and even when I did, just kinda felt awkward, I always have that problem. -sniffle-

And thanks! If anything, I'll just dress up as The Laughing Man or L since they are basically the poorman's cosplay. ^___^ WALMART HERE I COME! :p

Hazel Chaz
10-08-2007, 12:31 AM
I shall do my best since I still needs moneys for preregistration, plus a cosplay outfit, plus I need to know if my friends from AX07 are going since I will know virtually no one and have a hard time keeping new friends. As fun as AX was, it was tough to get to know people and even when I did, just kinda felt awkward, I always have that problem.

Not many people know this, but we don't actually require you to wear a costume. ;)

One of the nice things about a smaller convention is that when you meet someone on Day 1, you're likely to see them again later that day and on Day 2 & Day 3. But anyhow, if you know the actual names of your friends you can see if they've already preregistered:
http://www.animelosangeles.org/ala/content/view/53/25/

Schalkfuchs
10-09-2007, 01:43 AM
aLA 07 was my first real con. (bar pmx for like 3 or 4 hours 2 months prior)
I have to say, i've been to anime expo and ani magic and by far my most favorite was aLA. Like, there is no comparision. I borrowed an outfit from my friend(the profile pic) and simply had a blast. The people and staff are incredibly friendly almost everyone is from socal. Another thing I didn't know and feel pampered now is that other cons don't have a suite to get food and chill at, this was a great place for unwinding or striking up conversation and I wish there were more areas with a good number of people just sitting about socializing. Unlike the other conventions people seemed to be more than happy to make friends either by approaching you or being friendly when you approached them. It could be a plethra of reasons actually. Hopefully since I plan to post more I'll know more people to say hi to from the forums / have more people approach me saying they know me from the forums and i'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed it last year and hopefully you'll enjoy it to. I think there's just more of a fellowship at this con than any of the other CA cons.
*edit* no profile pic for me everytime I try to upload the file again from my comp or image shack it just tells me, lawl epic fail. Oh well*

camilliette
10-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Ahhh! Both are special in their own way. XD I love ALA. It's small and everyone can get to know each other easier. The staff is pretty cool. They have a super awesome costume repair station with really nice people working in it.

I've seen Chaz at so many conventions providing free snacks and stuffs and promoting ALA which is moving to the Burbank Mariott!

So yeah! Super fun! It can get cold though. -_- It's during the winter and I totally froze to death last time! :3

SycoTik
10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Not many people know this, but we don't actually require you to wear a costume. ;)

One of the nice things about a smaller convention is that when you meet someone on Day 1, you're likely to see them again later that day and on Day 2 & Day 3. But anyhow, if you know the actual names of your friends you can see if they've already preregistered:
http://www.animelosangeles.org/ala/content/view/53/25/

LOL, well, I still would like to cosplay, just cuz I'm fairly new to it and want to more and more when I can. ^_^

I'll just have to see what happens when I get there and hope for the best. AX2007 was fun and the people were generally nice but it was really tough to get to know everyone and even then, I think I was alil intimidated by a good amount there. Ah wells. I can always try to call my friend and see if he is going or not as well. Thanks for the link though. :)

SycoTik
10-09-2007, 12:45 PM
aLA 07 was my first real con. (bar pmx for like 3 or 4 hours 2 months prior)
I have to say, i've been to anime expo and ani magic and by far my most favorite was aLA. Like, there is no comparision. I borrowed an outfit from my friend(the profile pic) and simply had a blast. The people and staff are incredibly friendly almost everyone is from socal. Another thing I didn't know and feel pampered now is that other cons don't have a suite to get food and chill at, this was a great place for unwinding or striking up conversation and I wish there were more areas with a good number of people just sitting about socializing. Unlike the other conventions people seemed to be more than happy to make friends either by approaching you or being friendly when you approached them. It could be a plethra of reasons actually. Hopefully since I plan to post more I'll know more people to say hi to from the forums / have more people approach me saying they know me from the forums and i'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed it last year and hopefully you'll enjoy it to. I think there's just more of a fellowship at this con than any of the other CA cons.
*edit* no profile pic for me everytime I try to upload the file again from my comp or image shack it just tells me, lawl epic fail. Oh well*

Very cool. I'm reading alot of good reviews of this, my hopes are just myself being comfortable incase I'm alone at this. I tend to get panic attacks and shy away lots at times.

Ahhh! Both are special in their own way. XD I love ALA. It's small and everyone can get to know each other easier. The staff is pretty cool. They have a super awesome costume repair station with really nice people working in it.

I've seen Chaz at so many conventions providing free snacks and stuffs and promoting ALA which is moving to the Burbank Mariott!

So yeah! Super fun! It can get cold though. -_- It's during the winter and I totally froze to death last time! :3

You look familiar, did you go to AX2007?

camilliette
10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Yes, I did. :3

SycoTik
10-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Yes, I did. :3

I wonder if I took a picture of you. Who did you cosplay as for AX2007? :)

Sana-chan
10-28-2007, 07:30 PM
I've been attending AX since 2000 and ALA since the very first year. I've always enjoyed ALA because since it is a smaller con, it definitely feels way more personal and has a "fan"-like atmosphere that a lot of the larger cons don't have so much. The Con Chair is a nice guy who listens and talks to the attendees... which is something you rarely see. And as many have already said... Con Suite!! Best thing in the universe in my book XD

ITouchedYusuke
11-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Well...as AX WAS my first convention, I can't pick!! D:

AX is special to me because I get to see my pals at FUNimation and get to work the booth and such, where as ALA I can just chill and meet other fans with the same interests! and the fact that ALA isn't quite as loud and busy. lol!

ALA is just very kick back and chill, and I LOVE that about a con. :]

And the fact that the staff members are there and don't act like they hate their job is awesome. Cuz I'm sure we've all dealt with...well...snotty staff members. lol!!!

sicdedman
11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
to me it doesnt sound like Ala will be that Small! from all the stuff i see thats going to be there... like All the bands and stuff they have posted.. but i havent been there either though. i was At the Anime Expo.which was cool. i went ALL 3 days traveled 184 miles a day to go : ) . ComicCon 2007 was my first Con!!! hoping to go to LOTS more as many as i can!!! might even go to Con in San Jose this next year.. i will be up there Working on some Highschool Stadiums., so i might have some time to go !!!!

i have 1 question????? to see the bands play at Anime LA. does it cost extra money?? like at Anime Expo??? and also if you do have to pay for tickets ect. to see the bands play! do you have to buy the tickets same time as you register?????

Im hoping to go! if the money finds its way to my pocket!!!!

Pretty Sammy
11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
to me it doesnt sound like Ala will be that Small!

The max is 2400 attendees, and from what I've heard, they're most likely going to hit that on Sat. 2400 people is a nice number, in my opinion. :3 May not be gargantuan 40,000+ people like AX, but it's more personal with a smaller number of attendees.

Neo_Serenity
11-13-2007, 12:07 AM
i have 1 question????? to see the bands play at Anime LA. does it cost extra money?? like at Anime Expo??? and also if you do have to pay for tickets ect. to see the bands play! do you have to buy the tickets same time as you register?????

No, all programming is included in the price of your membership to the convention. There is no extra charge to see any of the bands slotted to perform.

Also, ALA isn't trying to be AX, or even compete with it. It's a small con, at a smaller venue. We just want to promote a good atmosphere with some nice extras that hopefully other anime conventions will pick up as well. Chaz's vision for ALA is not for it to be unique. There should be a variety of conventions that one can choose to attend that offer the same sorts of good things - like a con suite with snacks and water for the con members, or a costume repair station for those oopses that are bound to happen in the halls with your costume. :)

Anyway, hope to see you there!

Hazel Chaz
11-13-2007, 09:30 AM

No it doesn't cost extra. We have a small room for music -- think of it being like a nightclub, but without the bar. There's room for about 100, so it'll be an intimate performance space. First come, first seated.

Some of the bands will have CDs for sale, so you can help support them by spending a little $$ that way.

sicdedman
11-13-2007, 06:48 PM
cool ! Thank you for The Info on The Bands! and Most Def i'll be Supporting them.. i know i did during PMX i hadnt spent that much money since Comic Con lol....

iaShakezula
11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
AX is a huge con with huge things going on.
Anime LA is small,more compact, with smaller things going on.

Well Burbank is a better spot for this small con because of the food place around.Ive been to ALA for the past 2 years, and I think it is ok but they have to work on their programming .Anime Vegas is far better.

I didnt preregister for this coming one and now it is too expensive ...,PMX is more reasonable and with more bang for your money.I am not competeing and their guest list do not interest me at all and so I will skip this convention.
I will be there only to attend the cosplay gathering.Besides I need to work on my demo on Saturday.
Anyway, have fun if it is your first time.

edo_oniichan
12-03-2007, 10:44 PM
ALA '07 was my first con last year, and I have to say it set quite a high standard for other cons. XD Like everyone else has said, don't try to compare it to Anime Expo.

To me...well, ALA felt like home. It was a very comfortable atmosphere and I constantly saw the same people, which to me was nice. Everyone was very friendly. In fact, the moment I stepped in, I was surrounded by a horde of fellow FMA characters and squeezed to death! (Culture shock much!) I found myself just wandering a lot, and returning to the same place more than once. Food was kinda bad there, but this year there's a lot more options.

Anime Expo for me was more business-y. There were so many people...and it was so big!! >< Almost too big for my sake; it wasn't really planned out well with the video rooms being a million miles away from the main rooms. The lines sucked as well. My feet hurt so much from walking....food was a big problem as everyone flooded the shopping center next to it, and hotel food was super expensive. But it was fun and I met some famous people, yay.

I actually like ALA better than AX because of the home-like atmosphere and the friendliness factor. People at AX see so many other cosplayers that they don't pay attention to them much. ALA I met a lot of friends I still hang with today and I had a great time.

You'll totally enjoy it. :)